PDA

View Full Version : Rotorheads Desktop Calendars (Archive Dec 03 - Dec 05)

Pages : [1] 2

Heliport
6th Dec 2003, 21:59
A Christmas gift from Rotorheads .....

Here's our first effort at producing a desktop calendar for your PC. Many thanks to Blenderpilot for agreeing to create the calendar - and for not backing out when he discovered my request involved much more work than he (or I) expected. :ok:

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/December212.jpgHeli-skiing in Canada
B212HP on Caribou Peak in the Purcell Mountains west of Golden, BC.
Mount Sir Donald (10,600') is in the background.
Photograph by [i]407 driver

To set as desktop wallpaper:
Right click on the photograph and select 'Set as Background.'

If members like the idea, we'll keep it going and change the photograph each month.
Please let us know what you think.

Heliport

Mars
6th Dec 2003, 22:48
Blenderpilot

Think you have done a great job - well done!

Look forward to the other 12 for 2004.

XEMS
7th Dec 2003, 00:09
All I can say is WOW! That really makes my computer much nicer. Thanks for all the hard work!

Time Out
7th Dec 2003, 08:12
Brilliant idea Heliport, and outstanding result Blenderpilot. What a fabulous Christmas gift!!

IHL
7th Dec 2003, 11:46
Great Initiative!!:ok:

sprocket
7th Dec 2003, 17:56
It has my vote of appreciation.

Thud_and_Blunder
7th Dec 2003, 21:10
It's resplendent upon my laptop screen as I type. Wouldn't 407 have appreciated some credit on-screen for his work? Very magnanimous of him if not.

Steve76
7th Dec 2003, 22:20
Ripper!
Installed ASAP,

Well done and another reason to get some good photos to you guys.

Heliport
7th Dec 2003, 22:24
Thud_and_Blunder
We tried to include a 'Type, Location and Photographer' line but ran out of time and decided to run with this alpha version now to see whether there's enough demand to justify the work involved in producing it monthly.

So far, the feedback is all positive but there's not much of it given the number of views so it's difficult to make an overall assessment.

Still, it's early days yet.
We'll monitor the posts over the next week or so.

Heliport

Web-Footed Flyer
7th Dec 2003, 22:29
Fantastic Keep'em comming:ok: :ok: :ok:

RDRickster
8th Dec 2003, 00:58
I'm guessing that most people agree the calendar is STELLAR! However, if you don't type more than 15 characters in your response, it won't be allowed to post. Therefore, the simple "cool" or "awesome" statements aren't showing up.

John Eacott
8th Dec 2003, 06:08
Views vs replies: third view, first reply! Excellent, although the choice of perfect powder snow + venerable 212 is not good for me, with another 7 months to our snow season ;)

Now, how are you going to choose the next month's picture :ok:

Helinut
9th Dec 2003, 00:51
Great Idea, well executed! I immediately put the picture on to replace my boring old wallpaper! Looking forward to the next 11 ........................ :D :D:ok: :ok:

DeepC
9th Dec 2003, 02:08
I agree. Keep them coming.

Type, Location, Pilot, photographer info would be appreciated.

DeepC

Stinger
9th Dec 2003, 02:23
Nice Idea! Hope we can find a years worth of pics as good as this one.

Flying Lawyer
9th Dec 2003, 03:50
It's on my desktop. Well done to the team. :OK:

Stinger
Good to see you on line - at long last. The prompt at the BHAB Dinner worked then. ;)
You're a well-travelled man. How about putting up some pics for next year? Or in the Rotorheads collection? :D

Bad medicine
9th Dec 2003, 04:48
I think it's great. Keep them coming.

Cheers,

BM

Autorotate
9th Dec 2003, 09:51
Hey Blender and Heliport - If you want to use any of my images feel free to go ahead and use them. Blender has a lot of them on file.

Regards from Muscat, Oman.

Autorotate.

P.S. Will have some great shots of Omani Police 214STs and Royal Flight Pumas to post later today.

helimatt
9th Dec 2003, 13:03
Bloody brilliant idea! Thanks guys.:ok:

Thomas coupling
9th Dec 2003, 19:06
Innovative, creative and well executed. Well done to Blenderpilot and Heliport.
Thank you for the pressy Too:ok:

EESDL
9th Dec 2003, 21:42
I think you can safely assume that 'no news is good views' keep them coming

Lu Zuckerman
9th Dec 2003, 22:47
The picture is fantastic but when I transferred it to my screen the picture overran the boundaries of the screen (19”) and a part of the calendar was off the screen. Did I do something wrong?

:E :E

Heliport
9th Dec 2003, 23:37
Lu

I'm not a computer wizz but, until someone who is responds.......

It depends how you've set your screen resolution - the size of your monitor doesn't matter.
Are you using 800x600? If so, the pic will probably over-run.
It doesn't @ 1024x768.

Assuming you're using Windows:
Right-click on the desktop
Select 'Properties' and check your screen resolution settings.

Heliport

RDRickster
10th Dec 2003, 00:09
If Heliport's excellent advice isn't completely successful, look at the "Desktop" tab of the "Display Properties" dialogue box. On the lower right hand side, you will see something described as "Position." Options will include "Stetch," "Center," and "Tile." Try "Stetch" first and play around with the settings to get the desired affect.

Heliport
10th Dec 2003, 00:23
RDR

I've just tried it @ 800x600 and it works.

It takes a proper computer man to know that stretch also = contract. ;)

Ex Monkey
10th Dec 2003, 04:03
Excellent Idea!
Certainly get's the "Thumbs Up!" :ok: from me .... and my colleagues at work!
Just a shame we don't get weather like that around here :{

moosp
10th Dec 2003, 20:51
Neat. I now have it as wallpaper. Many thanks for your efforts.

samusi01
11th Dec 2003, 10:54
Immediately became my background of choice. Also became the background for a classmate. Eagerly awaiting next month's!

Heliport
2nd Jan 2004, 04:54
January 2004 (http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/PPruNe-Janurary.jpg)

To download the calendar (Windows users)

Right Click on the picture

Select 'Set as Wallpaper / Background'

Many thanks to all of you who submitted photographs. The quality was superb and deciding which one to use for the January calendar was a difficult decision.
One of the factors was whether the resolution was good enough to allow enlarging to full screen size and, unfortunately, some smaller pics didn't make it on to the shortlist for that reason only.

BlenderPilot has kindly agreed to host the unused pics on his website. We'll let you have the URL. Please post them in the 'Rotorheads Around the World' collection, with a description of the type, location, pilot, photographer etc.

Many thanks to BlenderPilot for creating the calendar, and to both BlenderPilot and John Eacott for all their help throughout the year hosting photographs for the collection.

Heliport

moosp
2nd Jan 2004, 05:03
Excellent shot for January, now installed on the desktop. Many thanks to all concerned.

Its going to be an Autorotate year with this standard of photo in your monthly competition...

HNY

wde
2nd Jan 2004, 07:40
WOW...Awesome shot. Well chosen!!!

RDRickster
2nd Jan 2004, 07:49
I'll second that "WOW!" Those pics make me want to go down to NZ to fly the terrain. Very cool.

Hughesy
2nd Jan 2004, 07:57
Those photos were take in the Tararua mountains, only 10mins away from Heliflight (NZ) Masterton base.
They are quite cool, just wish I spent more time in them than I did.
Living in a part of NZ where there isn't much snow, then moving there and waking each morning with snow on the hills was quite breathtaking at times.
:D

BlenderPilot
2nd Jan 2004, 09:55
If you downloaded the desktop before Jan/02/04, 02:00 GMT, please download it again since the current version has a much better resolution and looks nicer. Ned was kind enough to send a higher resloution shot and I just switched it, same shot, just better resolution.

Thanks to Ned for the picture! And also to all others who sent their pictures for, consideration, there were some other beautiful shots also.

Time Out
2nd Jan 2004, 10:04
It's fantastic. Thanks Heliport, BlenderPilot and Ned.

sprocket
2nd Jan 2004, 11:04
Another good choice.
I'm on my way over to NZ for a break next week, hope it is as good as they say.

Thud_and_Blunder
2nd Jan 2004, 14:55
Fantastic shot. On my one-and-only trip so far to NZ (20 years ago this month - sigh!) I stayed with an RAF Kiwi mate who was home on 5-yearly leave in Masterton. Enjoyed 3 days tramping around the Tararuas - equal to (or better than) any National Park in the UK, but "only" a Forestry Area in NZ. I remember the maps having the positions of crashed aircraft marked as landmarks...

Hughesy
2nd Jan 2004, 18:42
Your right T & B. Although I never saw them, i believe there are a couple of aircraft in the hills. One is of an old RNZAF plane that went in many years ago. I'm pretty sure there is a memorial at that site aswell.

Notar fan
3rd Jan 2004, 05:29
Excellent choice Heliport......I am sure it was a difficult decision. Special thanks to you lads for your hard work and excellent service to the industry

Happy New Year to all PPruners:ok:

Red Wine
3rd Jan 2004, 09:24
What are the chances of having the current month in large print such as the January one, then having the rest of the year/six months along the bottom or elsewhere in smaller print?

That way it would be a useful planning calander as well as something nice to look at!!!

You could still change the photo monthly.

T_richard
27th Jan 2004, 10:44
Thanks everyone as a SLF I have only dreamed about vistas like this. Time to reassess my prioroties and maybe learn a new skill. (besides spelling)

BlenderPilot
2nd Feb 2004, 07:12
You can download the February 2004 calendar by clicking HERE! (http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/PPruNeCalFeb.jpg)

Sorry for the delay but I just got home after and UNEXPECTED 2,941 nautical mile trip! And if you have ever done this you know how it feels to sit in helicopter for this long.

(Those of your who downloaded the calendar first know what I mean by "short version", sorry bout that, too many hours in a helicopter!)

Steve76
2nd Feb 2004, 08:37
Good work BP,
Cheers

sprocket
2nd Feb 2004, 09:28
Nice one Blender!

samusi01
2nd Feb 2004, 10:33
Thanks - these have been popular with all who have seen them on my laptop!

SilsoeSid
2nd Feb 2004, 14:59
Thanks Blender.

No doubt, like the Jan calendar, this will also receive good comments from work colleagues and visitors.

SS

helimatt
2nd Feb 2004, 16:23
Thanks Blender!:D

IHL
2nd Feb 2004, 21:26
Thanks Blender:
If I may suggest for March, that sharpe looking model with the R22!

Specnut727
3rd Feb 2004, 03:46
Thanks Blender,

Keep up the good work !!

MD900 Explorer
3rd Feb 2004, 06:49
Blender,

Cracking work dude.

Since you have criticised the work, WILL there will be a delay in the "proper" Feb Calender? :confused:

I am sure 2,491 Hrs is against any monthly log book entry :{

Well done Blender,

High regards (nearly 2000 amsl) :ok:

MD

Time Out
3rd Feb 2004, 13:19
Another terrific result. Thanks guys.

bloodycrow
4th Feb 2004, 02:58
she's a beauty...good job Blender

ps..John..it's good to see you lookin after the Hydro Majestic...there's more to that place then just the architecture and history..it's been a favourite drink stop (as well as every other pub in the area) for years while driving out west for the annual pig shoot..not sure why but has always provided a nice change to our local..The Blood'n Guts (hotel)

Heliport
4th Feb 2004, 03:50
Thanks BP.
Another excellent production. :ok:

Heliport

Nigel Osborn
4th Feb 2004, 04:51
Could one of you computer whizzes please tell me how to make the background smaller. Dec & Jan fitted but Feb is too big.
Many thanks:8

Heliport
5th Feb 2004, 07:03
After you've set the calendar as your desktop background .....
(and assuming you're using Windows)

Right-click on the screen
Select 'Properties'
Then 'Background'
Look for 'Display' which is a dropdown menu offering: Centre, Tile or 'Stretch'
Select 'Stretch' (which reduces as well as stretches) to fit the screen.

Capn Notarious
5th Feb 2004, 19:35
Thank you very much for the pictures. Januarys and now this, first class.

Delta Julliet Golf
6th Feb 2004, 04:03
Awesome! Keep 'em coming!

DJG

Heliport
2nd Mar 2004, 00:57
March 1st is here - Happy Saint David's Day to our Welsh contributors and readers!

Thanks to Voodoo2 who provided the photograph we've used this month.

Another superb production by BlenderPilot who, in between hosting photos for us and producing the monthly calendar, manages to find time to fly helicopters around Mexico for a living.

For those who haven't downloaded previous Rotorheads calendars:

Windows Users
To preview, left-click on the link.

To set as your desktop background:

Right-click on This Link (http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/PPRuNeMarch.jpg)

Select Save Target As .....
Save the file to your own computer - all Blender's files are virus-checked
Pull up the image (File name = PpruneMarch)
Right-click on the photograph
Select Set as Desktop Background/Wallpaper

You may need to adjust it to fit your screen, depending upon your settings.
If so:
Right-click on the photo.
Select Properties
Then Desktop
Then Stretch
Then OK
(For reasons computer experts will no doubt understand, but I don't, Stretch includes reducing in size to fit the screen as well as expanding.
The above is from memory, but it won't be far out.

AppleMac Users
I don't know but, if you have a problem, ask and someone will be able to help.

Please keep the photographs coming!

Heliport

Bronx
2nd Mar 2004, 15:02
That's an awesome picture and another great desktop.

Thank you Voodoo2 and the Anglo-Mexican production team.
Appreciate it.

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Whirlybird
2nd Mar 2004, 15:55
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice.:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: I might even keep that one all year. Except they get better and better.

Heliport
2nd Mar 2004, 16:03
To everyone who downloaded yesterday, March 1st:

The quality of the picture is now even better. The link remains the same.

Sorry about that.

My fault, not BlenderPilot or Voodoo2 - I sent Blender the wrong photo file. :uhoh:

Heliport

BlenderPilot
2nd Mar 2004, 21:27
Dear Heliport:

You said . . . .

AppleMac Users
I don't know but, if you have a problem, ask and someone will be able to help.

Us "AppleMac Users" NEVER have a problem! Our computers are closer to perfection than anything else. ;)

Blind
3rd Mar 2004, 21:53
I am far too useless to set up that calender, any chance of putting the photo on the thread!!?

Also while I am on the subject is there anyway of getting prints of any of the photos that are posted?

Sorry I am a bit of a dumb blonde.:confused:

Doh, I found the calender, maybe I am not that stuuupid after all.

T_richard
6th Mar 2004, 10:52
Thanks to all of you. These pics have been very impressive. Much better than pics of half naked women. Opps I must be getting old:p

voodoo2
8th Mar 2004, 19:51
Im happy to see that so many is enjoying the photo.

Took the picture in 2002 while I was working for Air Alphas A/S Greenland. As there are no roads connecting any of the towns and villages, most transports are done by helicopters.
Jacobshavn is our main base and its located in the discobay on the westcoast. The photo was taken by me as 2 of our Bell222 were enroute from Jacobshavn to Queqertarsuaq. Pilot Eiliv Bjorna is flying the B222 passing by one of the many icebergs shed by Jacobshavn glacier (worlds most active, sheds same amount of water in 1 hour as New York uses in a day).
Some of the iceberg get above 300 feet high so you got to keep that in mind while flying in foggy conditions. All our aircrafts have radar wich is helpful. During the weekdays we fly about 4 hours in average on the scheduled routes. On weekends there are usualy some ambulance and search and rescue missions.
In the summer we also do a bit of charter mainly geologists and tours.
Air Alpha operates 5 B222 and a B206. We also fly mail with 2 Cessna Caravans.

BlenderPilot
31st Mar 2004, 01:22
Download the April CALENDAR HERE (http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/AprilCalendar.jpg)

I hope you like it, I'm sorry if its a little late.

I have a Mac and icons on Mac default to the right, as I understand icons on PC's default to the left so it should work fine for most people, but please let me know if the calendar doesn't display properly for someone, I'll try to improve in the future

Thanks to Capt. Hollywood for the excellent picture!

helimatt
31st Mar 2004, 02:24
Thanks Blender! Top work:ok:

Specnut727
31st Mar 2004, 03:39
Thanks Blender and Capt Hollywood ! I've heard that it's bad luck to display calenders early ! It'll go on my wallpaper first thing tomorrow.

Helipolarbear
31st Mar 2004, 06:22
Ayer's 2 U, Blender! Great Pic!:ok: :ok:

Heliport
31st Mar 2004, 09:31
Another superb job by Blenderpilot.

Many thanks to Capt Hollywood from Professional Helicopter Services at Ayers Rock for providing this month's stunning picture which shows one his company's former pilots, Johanna Adams, posing for a brochure picture. Capt H says the bubble windows fitted to their scenic aircraft are an excellent, although expensive, conversion.

Thanks guys. :ok:

Capt Hollywood
31st Mar 2004, 11:48
Thanks for the kind words fellas. Just to be geographically correct, as pilots like to be, our base is at Ayers Rock which is actually 500km from Alice Springs. Alice is about three hours drive thanks to the lack of speed limits out here!!! :ok:

Cheers,

Hollywood :cool:

moosp
31st Mar 2004, 11:52
Excellent stuff, Blender and Hollywood. This could become a saleable product for 2005. Think about it...

Heliport
31st Mar 2004, 12:27
Thanks for the correction Capt H - I've edited my post.

Moosp
Good idea, worth considering.
I don't know anything about the costs/practicalities, but we've built up an amazing collection of photos thanks to our members all around the world so it's worth exploring the idea.

H.

RotorDompteur
31st Mar 2004, 14:47
Great picture !!

It has a great perspective - almost as seen from outside the helicopter.

Blenderpilot - One question;
Is the camera held out of the door or was the shot taken through another bubble window..?

Heliport
31st Mar 2004, 20:02
We'll need to wait for Capt Hollywood to answer.

The photographs are provided by different Rotorheads each month. BlenderPilot very kindly agreed to create the desktop calendars, and has done a wonderful job every month.
That said, he's not only a busy professional pilot but also a very talented photographer himself - we'll be using one of his photographs from Mexico shortly.

Heliport

sprocket
1st Apr 2004, 06:49
Capt Hollywood : Great pic but what on earth made you fly so darn high? :)

Whirlybird
1st Apr 2004, 07:02
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ok: :ok: :ok:

Woolf
1st Apr 2004, 07:32
.... anyone got her phonenumber? :O :cool:

Great Pic Capt Hollywood and thanks Blenderpilot for the effort!

Well done guys!!!!

:ok:

Autorotate
1st Apr 2004, 08:00
Jo was actually a model on the Gold Coast before she started flying with Scottie Menzies. She then got a break out at the Rock and the rest they say is history.

Gorg girl and awesome bod. Had a memorable night with Jo on the coast where we polished off a few of Scotties fine bottles of liquor while he was down on the fires in Sydney, man was he annoyed that night. Me, staying at his house, drinking his booze, with his girlfriend, aint life grand :ok: :ok:

Unfortunately she recently got married and lives near Cairns somewhere I think. Sad loss for the guys at the Rock :{ :{

Autorotate.

Capt Hollywood
1st Apr 2004, 09:18
Thanks again for the comments,

I took the pic about 18 months ago. I had the door off and was leaning out of the aircraft a little. If my memory serves me correctly, which it often doesn't, I used a 20mm lens. Note the slight curvature of the horizon. You may well be able to get that photo through the window but reflection off the window may be a problem.

Sprocket : I realise your query was tongue in cheek but that's about the altitude we do our scenic flights at, although we are usually a little closer to the Rock. Our flights are conducted within the National Park and the park has guidelines pertaining to where and how high, or more accurately how low, we can fly.

As for the 'model', she married one of our other pilots and they moved the Cairns to live happily ever after! Sorry fellas!!

Cheers,

Hollywood :cool:

Chamonix
2nd Apr 2004, 20:13
Strewth H'Wood, I just got out of the Rock and now I'll have to look at it again for all of April......and from scenic height!!!!! Top shot Big Fella.;)

MD900 Explorer
3rd Apr 2004, 10:54
Excellent quality for the first quarter of the year.

Top Photo's. Nice work guys.

Keep it up :ok:

MD :ok:

Datcon
4th Apr 2004, 20:31
Every one a winner. :ok:

Thankyou to everyone involved in the production every month.

T_richard
6th Apr 2004, 03:37
Thank you to all who contribute to one of the highlights of my month. I really look forward to seeing these photos, the clarity, composition, and color is amazing. And the subject matter isn't too bad either. Especially this lovely young lady.

BlenderPilot
1st May 2004, 06:53
Well no, I'm not really in Nicaragua, those of you who thought I might have been the lucky one to get locked up in a cell with 4 exotic dancers :)

That wasn't me :(

Which brings me to the fact that the May calendar is ready and can be downloaded
HERE! (http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/MayCalendar.jpg)

This has been one of my favorites, I hope you like it.

Thanks to Flying Lawyer for the great picture!

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/MayCalendar.jpg

Autorotate
1st May 2004, 07:45
From a photographic viewpoint, gorgeous photo. Beautiful lighting, nice movement in the blades. Great choice.

Ned

RDRickster
1st May 2004, 13:00
Ya, the colors came out pretty well on that shot, eh?
Nicely done.

Datcon
2nd May 2004, 09:12
I'm green with envy Flying Lawyer.
Well done BlenderPilot. :ok:

It's a beautiful photograph of a helicopter that will go down in history as a classic.

BlenderPilot
When I dowloaded the photo I could see a bar at the bottom with details of the picture but when I set it as my desktop the bar disappeared.

Do I need to change any settings? :confused:

RDRickster
2nd May 2004, 13:31
Datacon,

Since the background image takes up the entire desktop, your Windows Taskbar is covering the lower portion of the graphic. To see the caption properly, follow these steps:

If Windows 2000:

1) RIGHT Click your Taskbar
2) LEFT Click "Properties"
3) On the "General" tab of the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" dialogue box, SELECT "Auto hide"

If Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional:

1) RIGHT Click your Taskbar
2) LEFT Click "Properties"
3) On the "Taskbar" tab of the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" dialogue box, SELECT "Auto-hide the taskbar"

Up & Away
5th May 2004, 09:52
Great Photo...

I look forward to a month of nostalgia...

I flew this actual aircraft from Jun'76 at Culdrose..

Last year I had the pleasure of doing a few eols in it again with its then owner...

:cool: :ok:

cobaltfrog
6th May 2004, 16:45
Sure did! Not sure if I EOL'd in it though although I did do my Zennor moor wazzex in it!! I think that was S8 or 9. Great fun indeed. 1997 last course at Culdrose.

vortex ping
6th May 2004, 17:28
i did too, i was last course but two at the old 705.....trying to work out who you are cobalt....

WIGYCIWYT
6th May 2004, 18:54
I flew this aircraft to Shawbury on its last ever RN flight and the last ever 705 NAS sortie! Also had the pleasure of displaying in it as part of the Sharks on my first 705 tour and as solo on Field Gun diplays at Culdrose on my second time around. Fantastic fun, fantastic aircraft and a terrible shame about the DHFS mularkey, still convinced it was a step in the wrong direction. :{

Flying Lawyer
6th May 2004, 20:58
Up & Away

I don't own XW895. I flew it for a photoshoot for a feature about ex-mil Gazelles in Pilot couple of years ago, after it had been modified to civvy spec and before it was sold. According to G-INFO, it's now owned by someone in Teesside.

Interesting to read posts by pilots who flew it in the RN.

Tudor Owen http://www.mwhelicopters.co.uk/MWHelicopters%20Left.gif

maintranschip
7th May 2004, 01:07
It appears in my log book quite a lot aswell. The most notable being the 50th anniversary of Taranto formation at Portland. As I remember it was the biggest formation I've ever been involved in. I think we managed almost everything the FAA had at the time with Jetstreams and Harriers over the top. The formations at the 3 gathering points seemed big enough then we had to join it all up. Good organisation and well executed. At least that's my memory of it, it was a Taranto night after all!!!!!!

Capt Hollywood
7th May 2004, 13:01
Great pic Flying Lawyer, amazing clarity.

Well done :ok:

Cheers,

Hollywood:cool:

Thomas coupling
7th May 2004, 22:30
Log book entry: XW895: 12th July 1990, sharks practice at Predannack overhead the autofield, barrell rolls and torque turns :ok:

Now where did those tail cone creases come from :uhoh:

I also remember demonstrating jack stall: accelerate to Vne in a dive, then pull like f**k (aft) on the cyclic:\

The Gaz used to lurch to the right, (I think) and pull up, the controls froze solid for those few precious seconds:eek:

We were never told how many pitch change rods we went through!!!

md 600 driver
8th May 2004, 09:02
well i never

its not owned by anyone in middlesbrough any more i bought it 2 months ago its now in yeovil being serviced and shortly it will join my raf gazelle and 600 in yorks thanks for the pics they are great any ifo on the history or pics would be greatfully accepted same goes for xx382

steve atherton

tudor
who was the left seat was it Ian K ex aac
steve

tc
do we agree about the gazelle then

Thomas coupling
8th May 2004, 12:20
One of the best light helos ever invented.
You are a very lucky man.......

To have flown one of my demo models;)

Flying Lawyer
8th May 2004, 13:53
Steve

No, my pax was an ex RN observer, not ex AAC.

Here's another pic taken over Leeds Castle, Kent. It's a pretty background but Blender chose the other shot because this one is too 'busy' for the desktop calendar picture. I agree with him but you may like it for your collection.

http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/Gazelle_Leeds_Castle_COR.jpg

Tudor

BTW, the CAA G-INFO database still shows the aircraft registered to the previous owner.

dakotaman
8th May 2004, 15:00
I flew my first solo in this aircraft in Feb 1977, and flew it a lot during the RNPC, and later on the IRI course, and later still as a Trapper.

md 600 driver
8th May 2004, 17:16
they dont rush do they" it will change one day hopefully

12 PSI
8th May 2004, 21:28
Hey Dakotaman, Me too! First solo, all the way round NT Predannack, although a bit after you.

Ah, the EOLs. It was only on beefers course that I discovered you had to move the sticks - they always seemed to move on their own during training!:=

6Z3
8th May 2004, 22:52
Passed my FHT on 705 NAS in XW895 in '77 to earn "Wings of Gold" lovingly stitched into dyed-in-the-wool dark blue barathea - a special day

Believe the unit is the post-IHC phase of a tri-Service light helicopter course now.

Arkroyal
9th May 2004, 10:26
Once only

Back in the saddle after summer leave 1979.

5/9/79 2 hrs with 'The squeak from Gweek' Revision & Advanced Autos.

Zlin526
9th May 2004, 21:20
FL,

Your nav is not quite as accurate as your legal skills; Leeds Castle it aint....:p

Flying Lawyer
9th May 2004, 22:29
Ooops! :uhoh:
I was working too hard keeping in close formation with the camera ship to ask at the time and have since been told, wrongly it seems, that it's Leeds Castle.

Any ideas? The photoshoot was over East Sussex and into Kent.

:confused:

oldpinger
9th May 2004, 23:00
Hmmm,

Nothing exciting- failed one sortie in XW895 (D16 whatever that was) and low level EOLs, ahhh those zoom climbs, you've got to love them!

PPRuNe Radar
9th May 2004, 23:21
Hever Castle :ok:

maintranschip
10th May 2004, 13:12
Oldpinger, D16 was advanced autos (part 2). The best trip I managed in it was the 50th anniversary of Taranto formation at Portland. An excellent formation and a good Taranto night.....I think!!!!!!

Up & Away
10th May 2004, 20:27
We used to teach helicopters step up on formation leader. no??

Might have been alot easier for you to have been the formation leader and let pilot of the other aircraft (who can speak on intercom to cameraman) formate on you for best angle/picture etc.

topilot... or to pprune

snafu
10th May 2004, 21:19
D7 (Basic autos) in Dec 95 and D9 (EOLs) in Jan 96!

Strangely enough, they were my only trips in that cab, even though my course didn't finish 'til May 96.

Happy days!!:ok:

fuel2noise
11th May 2004, 06:30
Just checked the old parchments and I did my D40 IF Test (didn't do an actual IRT on BFT course) with Mark Osman on 30 Jul 1984...and passed! Only did two other trips in that machine all course...but boy what a happy summer of love that was - happy days:O

jockspice
11th May 2004, 09:58
I also did D40 in this cab 10 years after fuel2noise and also passed. Lucky aircraft? Great days at 705, as was, and miss the Gaz-slick a lot!

spud
11th May 2004, 12:50
Night solo circuits July 1981. Can't believe I used to fly an aircraft without a bog, galley or a bed.

fuel2noise
12th May 2004, 05:44
Spud. Not just a bog and galley. What about a lovely hostie bringing you a coffe with a smile :O That would have been something to distract you in the middle of a 360 auto to the autofield.....

peterperfect
13th May 2004, 14:31
Spud, It didnt have a bog, galley or bed; yet most cabs on 705 managed OK without the mods, including the occasional discerning hostie, one suspects.

Fuel2noise: XW895 Chelsea Barracks & rtn 3.55 DCO....via Chatham House SRZ......

ppfn

fuel2noise
13th May 2004, 17:44
peterperfect: I did Chelsea Barracks for my landaway but that was in XW897 6&7 Sep 1984.... got my beefer laid in West Kensington so passed the trip ('Captaincy 1 & 2' if I remember it was billed); now those were the days.

airborne_artist
14th May 2004, 15:08
My only trip in this wonderfull piece of engineering was on Jan 22 1980 with that wonder on the accordion Nige North. D16 Advanced PFLs on the menu that day.

fuel2noise
14th May 2004, 17:22
...with all this top-grade notsalgia for the Gaz-piece I wonder if 'those who touched the hem of the 705 garment' could reach into our pockets and acquire one to re-kindle those fondest aviation moments? Base it in a cornish field somewhere and then have some fun. As an aside we could even re-create the extra-curricular activities so essential in forming the Fleet Air Arm heros of our generation. Any takers??

airborne_artist
14th May 2004, 19:24
What's the going rate for one with reasonable hours left on the main components?

desertbaker
16th May 2004, 19:06
dug the logbook whilst at work today and found I flew this racing gazelle once way back in Jan 86 during an IRI's course (deep joy) at Culdrose.
Great time of year to hold an IRI's course though!

Vfrpilotpb
17th May 2004, 19:49
Tc,

I wonder if you would explain how the barrel role is started, and accomplished, not that I would ever want to try this for I would never really have the balls to try, but I would like to know how its done? :cool:

Peter B
Vfr

pingerpuke
18th May 2004, 15:36
Flew this for D15 (Advanced Autos) in Jul 94. Strangely that was my only trip in it despite having to go back for a refresher after a year's holdover before 706.

Remeber my time on 705 with great fondness, although I'm not sure we could ever recreate the atmosphere of the squadron even if they did do away with DFS. You can but dream...:hmm:

6Z3
22nd May 2004, 16:51
Where were we? XW 895. Among other memorable sorties, B1 recat v Burnett 1985, as well as pre-A2 workup (which went a great deal better than A2 v God, but then that wasn't in XW 895)

6Z3
23rd May 2004, 08:52
D44. Attempting a cushion creep limited power TX out of the St Earth Confined area (and just about succeeding, with a limited power wing over to miss the trees at the far end)!! Sandy M suitably unimpressed.

John Eacott
25th May 2004, 04:54
Culdrose Air Day, 1975: pastel colours were all the rage:

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/CU%20air%20day%2007.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/CU%20air%20day%2005.jpg

sprocket
2nd Jun 2004, 20:08
Ahem, just wondering. My May calendar has run out of days. ;)

Heliport
2nd Jun 2004, 23:39
Strewth! Is it June already?
Doesn't time fly? http://www.ia.hiof.no/~borres/vrekka/enheter/tid/tiden.gif

Sorry for the slight delay guys. BlenderPilot was made Head of Operations at his company last week so now has additional responsibilities over and above his work as a line pilot.
I'm sure everyone would agree he does a fantastic job for us each month so please be understanding.

Heliport

RDRickster
3rd Jun 2004, 01:47
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v238/RDRickster/worthless.gif

BlenderPilot, the natives are getting restless!
You are the victim of your own success. (Nicely done)!

Steve76
3rd Jun 2004, 15:08
...whaddawe want?

CALENDER

...when do we want it?

NOW!

...gimme a C
...gimme an A
...gimme......

Helipolarbear
3rd Jun 2004, 17:24
Blender.......Where's the Beef?????
June!!! At this rate it'll be July!!!

Keep those great pics coming!:p

Heliport
3rd Jun 2004, 21:04
It's here. :ok:

Photograph by Neville Dawson taken recently over the Great Barrier Reef - one of the natural wonders of the world - which some of us will be seeing when we visit the the World Helicopter Conference next March.

June Calendar (http://pprune.mail.everyone.net/email/scripts/attach.pl/uid=1350&pn=2&noInline=0&folder=INBOX/JuneCal.jpg)

Or here (http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Heliport/JuneCal.jpg)

A very special thanks to BlenderPilot for finding the time to do the calendar for us this month. Thanks Carlos - I know you're very busy at work at the moment.

Heliport

TheStormyPetrel
3rd Jun 2004, 23:04
Beeeeautiful - thank you :)

RDRickster
3rd Jun 2004, 23:14
Ahhhhh... much better; I can even tell what day of the week it is!
As usual, great shot and great graphics work!

John Eacott
3rd Jun 2004, 23:57
Heliport,

Great shot: the first link appears corrupted and won't download properly, and the shot itself seems a bit pixilated. Is it the original 800 x 600 blown up? Ned should be able to supply a higher res shot to fill the screen :)

BlenderPilot
4th Jun 2004, 02:47
Glad you liked it, the real credit goes to Ned for the picture.

Ned if you have got a higher res pic can you send it to me and I will switch it?

Autorotate
4th Jun 2004, 03:02
Blender - Check your email. Sent you two hi res versions of the image to choose from. Should work much better.

Ned :E

Whirlybird
4th Jun 2004, 19:50
Nice one! Worth waiting for.:ok:

Av8r
7th Jun 2004, 01:44
Howdy,

Can you post a higer res picy please??

Its very 'blocky'.

Thanks.

Heliport
7th Jun 2004, 06:04
Guys

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, BlenderPilot is exceptionally busy at the moment. He still managed to find time to produce this month's calendar for us, but it was done in a hurry.
Please bear with us. Normal service will be resumed next month and we'll return to the usual high standard.

Heliport

airborne_artist
17th Jun 2004, 13:33
Close examination of my one remaining brain cell shows that I dinged the frangible tail end piece on XW895 while doing practice EOLs at EGDR.

I over-corrected in the landing-run, several times, and we came to a halt at 90 degrees to our original heading.

The tower hit the crash button on our behalf.......

Heliport
1st Jul 2004, 06:44
Colourful Bell 407 in Mexico.

Another fine production by our multi-talented Carlos/BlenderPilot who this month not only created the calendar but also took the photograph. :ok:

This link might overload - hope to have another one up and running later today.

Click here (http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/JulyCalendar.jpg)

Alternative link here (http://www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/jcal.jpg)

As usual, 'Right Click' on the link and select 'Save Target as ....'

Heliport

Whirlybird
1st Jul 2004, 08:26
Link won't work. :{

zhishengji751
1st Jul 2004, 08:33
trying to browse the album it is password protected.
This may be our problem.:confused:

Bronx
1st Jul 2004, 13:04
It works for me. :confused:

Superb picture. :ok:

Time Out
1st Jul 2004, 13:18
Wonderful picture - thanks Blender! :)

Whirly it didn't work for me earlier, but does now, so might be worth another try.

zhishengji751
1st Jul 2004, 13:23
wow that is a good pic!

and its not a composite?

link has been edited, which is good.. :D

RDRickster
1st Jul 2004, 13:25
Wow... this picture is much more clear than last months. Excellent work!

BlenderPilot
1st Jul 2004, 14:59
I hope you like the calendar!

The picture is not a composite, its just a happy pilot who followed my instructions and was happy to throw around his machine for the picture, as most pilots around here are.

I hope its working out for everyone.

This calendar is optimized for a 1024 x 768 pixel monitor resolution, if you have another resolution the picture may look jagged, if many of you are using a higher monitor resolution please let me know and I will make two versions so it will display properly.

Whirlybird
1st Jul 2004, 15:03
It's lovely!

Helinut
1st Jul 2004, 15:24
Another cracking photo :ok:

We should not lose all these - has anyone given thought to a way they can be kept available or published in some way?

sprocket
1st Jul 2004, 19:53
Very nice, thank you Blender.

moosp
2nd Jul 2004, 12:57
Blender, wonderful shot, much appreciated.

Yes I think all the shots are worth saving somehow. As a poster collage to sell in flight shops? Or perhaps re-issued with 2005 calendar dates, in the shops by Christmas?

I just feel that Rotorheads has a product here. The best heli shots of the year, approved by the worlds heli pilots. Or do we have to get our kit off, as in the film "Calendar Girls"??

ob(H)elix
5th Jul 2004, 10:02
Great Picture,

Thanx:ok: :ok:

Leprechaun
8th Jul 2004, 17:04
Great Phot! Cool Livery:cool:
Thanks Blender

Aser
9th Jul 2004, 11:01
La mejor! :ok:

Regards.

T_richard
13th Jul 2004, 17:11
Thank you for another amazing photograph. I look forward to these pics every month.

PPRuNe Towers
18th Jul 2004, 09:43
Permanent road warrior down route and therefore computing in public a lot of the time.

Eye catching is an understatement. I've never had strangers asking about wallpaper before - great every month but outstanding for July. It's really hooked the non aviators.

Many thanks
Rob

BlenderPilot
31st Jul 2004, 20:57
This version even has a calendar that actually has the days in the correct order!

Download by right clicking HERE! (http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/Longbow1024.jpg)

John Eacott
1st Aug 2004, 09:14
Carlos, Rich & Alan,

One of the best shots yet. Many thanks :ok:

the wizard of auz
1st Aug 2004, 09:20
Got it as a desktop background now. bloody good shot. :ok:

Capn Notarious
1st Aug 2004, 09:33
Is this the new tool for keeping caravans in the slow lane or, the neighbours cat out of the garden?

Helo wife
1st Aug 2004, 15:40
Thanks to all concerned for yet another amazing photograph.

Already I'm getting positive comments from people who've noticed it on my desktop.

At work some of my colleagues come looking each month, knowing that the pictures/calendars are worth seeing.

Thanks again!

WASALOADIE
1st Aug 2004, 19:36
The best as yet by far

AlanM
6th Aug 2004, 20:36
Gee thanks!!!

:)

WASALOADIE
2nd Sep 2004, 17:34
I'm suffering from withdrawl symptoms, and missing the next edition of the rotorheads calendar

Heliport
3rd Sep 2004, 05:55
It's arriving very soon.

Heliport

BlenderPilot
3rd Sep 2004, 06:29
I'm very sorry about the delay, I was waiting for a picture that never arrived! But I will find another one tomorrow and make the calendar ASAP.

BlenderPilot
5th Sep 2004, 20:12
Sorry for the delay, I was supposed to recieve one or the photo competition winners photo in higher resolution but it never arrived, so I chose this one taken by myself on just las tuesday.

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/September.jpg

sprocket
6th Sep 2004, 00:08
Thanks Blender, the Rotorhead desktop calendars are like having Christmas every month! :ok:

heedm
6th Sep 2004, 00:53
Excellent photo. Have you entered that into the current competition?

Thanks,

Matthew.

WASALOADIE
6th Sep 2004, 07:34
As said before, we look forward to our new calendar each month. Nice photo!

Heliport
6th Sep 2004, 08:08
Thanks for stepping in to help Carlos.
Great pic too. :ok:

DBChopper
7th Sep 2004, 16:01
No longer a calendar virgin!

My very first calendar, sitting proudly as my desktop background. Just a quick post to echo the comments above - fantastic photo.

:ok: DBChopper

TheStormyPetrel
10th Sep 2004, 15:00
I like it - many thanks :)

BlenderPilot
2nd Oct 2004, 15:07
Yesterday I wasn't able to upload the calendar to my server for downloading so I emailed the caledar to Heliport so he could post it for me, BUT somewhere along the way the calendar got reduced from 1024 pixels to 576 pixels thus the original picture will look jagged on your monitors.

I was just able to upload the full size (1024 pixels) calendar to my server and here it is in high resolution, Right click on the image, and Set as Background,

Mac users . . . . you know what to do, as always ;)

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/OctoberCalendar.jpg

moosp
3rd Oct 2004, 12:27
Many thanks for the efforts of the group of you who set these up, and thanks again to Ned for the shot.

Did the surf ski driver manage to pass the lunch bag up to the crewman or not?

RDRickster
3rd Oct 2004, 21:45
That's one helluva pizza deliver service! :D

Helinun
4th Oct 2004, 04:28
Moosp,

No he didn't get the lunch bag to us but we gave him a blood nose when the downdraft from the BK half rolled him over and his nose hit the handle bars as he crashed back on the waves. We did render assistance though.

Great photo's by Ned as always.

Best hour or so I've had in a long time.

badbreath
4th Oct 2004, 22:44
helinun

Are you the pilot of the BK

Nigel Osborn
5th Oct 2004, 05:31
Hi Blender

Being the all round computer whizz that you are, why does my computer come up with "not enough storage space" when I hit 'set as background'?????:confused:

T_richard
5th Oct 2004, 11:19
Thank you guys for a superb photo!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlenderPilot
5th Oct 2004, 22:55
I am sorry but I can't be of much help, it sounds like you really don't have enough memory space on your Hard Disk which I find hard to belive since it is not such a large file.

I am a Mac user an thus I rarely ever have any problems with my computer, thus I am not really a computer whiz.

Delta Julliet Golf
6th Oct 2004, 14:32
Any job vacancies for flying the helo? :D

Bronx
13th Oct 2004, 22:59
Thanks Blender.
Appreciate what you do every month.

B.

Heliport
3rd Nov 2004, 19:58
Many thanks to Imabell of Blue Tongue Helicopter Services in Queensland for providing the picture and, as always, to BlenderPilot in Mexico for creating the destop calendar.

Click on either link to open the picture.

Links:

HERE (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/novemberpprune.jpg) and HERE (http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/novemberpprune.jpg)

Both links are now working.

Heliport
4th Nov 2004, 17:37
Sorry guys.

Block-deleting the 'link doesn't work' posts so as to avoid confusion and accidentally deleted the comments about this month's calendar as well.

Please feel free to re-post comments

- and to post comments if you haven't already.

H

belly tank
4th Nov 2004, 20:14
Whats doing with the days, all out of whack. in different letters!

imabell
4th Nov 2004, 20:26
the pilot of the mil is viacheslav vereshchinskiy an obviously russian friend who was flying in yemen.

he is also the pilot of the mil that crashed onto the side of the mountain when a turban went through an engine, (another thread). he is now in kazachskij, (kazachstan), flying a b3 on hunting safaris.

Link to the 'crash' thread HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130934).

If you didn't see it when first posted, it's well worth reading - an amazing story with a miraculous ending!!

Heliport

2beers
4th Nov 2004, 22:15
Great calendar!

I'll take a slightly grained picture portraying the skill involved and the versatility of a helicopter over a "perfect" picture with a helicopter on the beach anytime.

But what language is D L M M J V S?

Anyway, this desktop will keep my computer happy for another month :) Thanks!

/2beers

UwantME2landWHERE!
4th Nov 2004, 22:27
where is 'D L M M J V S'?

Isn't that 'SKYTECH' in Kastarium...:D

Heliport
4th Nov 2004, 22:51
What language? :eek:

Guys, guys. :(
What's that going to do to our reputation as the most international helicopter forum in the world?
And I tell all the other Mods we're the elite PPRuNe forum. Embarrassing or what!

Look at the title of the thread for a clue. ;)

wishtobflying
4th Nov 2004, 23:18
C'est Français, pas difficile.

Dimanche - Sunday
Lundi - Monday
Mardi - Tuesday
Mercredi - Wednesday
Jeudi - Thursday
Vendredi - Friday
Samedi - Saturday

I look forward to our new series of calendars "Days in the Languages of PPRuNe". My preferences for the next couple of months:

December - Arabic (in honour of the Dubai Helishow Dec 6-9)
January - Italian
February - Hebrew
March - Russian

Cheers,

wishtobflying

Whirlybird
5th Nov 2004, 08:09
Awesome photo!!!!

If you'd like days of the week in Welsh, I can manage that for you! :)

Genghis the Engineer
5th Nov 2004, 08:17
Neither link works for me this morning.

G

Heliport
5th Nov 2004, 08:47
They're both working for me. :confused:

Here's another to try: Third Link (www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/novemberpprune1.jpg)

Genghis the Engineer
5th Nov 2004, 20:33
Thank you, that works and has just replaced a shot of the outer Hebrides along my wingtip as my Wallpaper for this month.

G

T_richard
6th Nov 2004, 02:03
Thank you for a great pic, I agree, substance always wins over style. And I like the international flavor of the calender. Merci beaucoup!!!!!!!!!!!

Bomber ARIS
6th Nov 2004, 09:20
Bearing in mind Blender's involvement, D L M M J V S also works in Spanish.

salu2 :8

Heliport
6th Nov 2004, 10:18
Ah ..... I didn't know that.

Looks like my French title line was on the wrong track after all. :D

Isn't Rotorheads great? Learn something new every day. :ok:

Fake Sealion
6th Nov 2004, 13:55
Hi All

Just picked up on this thread

Yep - flew XW895 on a few occasions in 1979- including May 2 with "donny O", June 14 with DH and also solo, passed my IHT in her, took part in AirDay Balbo in her with DH again, and lastly strapped into her for my Captaincy Check with "Barry B" July 31 st.

Seem to recall we had to collect "4 Star General" from HMS Raleigh Helipad, then find a tactical landing site near Bodmin, then "expanding square" search over Lizard before hurtling around Zennor needing to twitch the collective a tad to clear the dry stone walls ! Awesome.

MD600 ?

I now live just down the road from Tadcaster - what I wouldn't give to have another "go" in this fabulous machine.
I do however promise to fly her in a more sedate manner !!

Here's hopefully !

FS

2beers
6th Nov 2004, 16:59
Wondering about international things. How come all English (and now French or Spanish) calendars start with Sunday? In Sweden our calendars weeks starts with monday.

Is there a good reason for this except long tradition?

Cheers!
/2beers

heedm
7th Nov 2004, 16:12
Tradition is mostly the reason, but there is some data to consider. The bible declares the sabbath to be the last day of the week. From other sources, it appears that at the time of Christ the sabbath corresponds with our Saturday. The Russian word for Tuesday (вторник) means second, indicating a history of starting the week with Monday. Other languages follow this as well.

To set things straight, ISO created the standard, ISO-8601, that among other things, set the first day of the week to be Monday.

BlenderPilot
7th Nov 2004, 19:09
Damn! I knew there was something wrong with that calendar, it comes from doing it at 0300 after a days work, sorry.

Domingo
Lunes
Martes
Miercoles
Jueves
Viernes
Sabado

Helipolarbear
8th Nov 2004, 18:00
Second That!!!
:}

Heliport
1st Dec 2004, 08:02
The Winner of our December Calendar Competition is 407 Driver one of our regular Canadian contributors who provided this stunning shot.

Many thanks to BlenderPilot in Mexico for creating the calendar, and to John Eacott in Australia for hosting it.

Click the link to download (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/December2.jpg) and then save as your desktop background.

Heliport

RDRickster
1st Dec 2004, 13:46
I'm having a hard time deciding if May, July, or December is the best one of the year. Well done!

Helijoe
1st Dec 2004, 18:52
Awesome picture!
Congratulations 407 Driver. :ok:

Photograph by a Canadian, chosen by a Brit, calendar produced by a Mexican and hosted by an Australian, what an amazing international forum Rotorheads is!

A big THANK YOU to Heliport and Blenderpilot for giving us wonderful calendars every month.
Please keep doing it. I look for forward to the new one every month. :ok:

delta3
1st Dec 2004, 22:26
Heart warming International cooperation example.
Indeed a great job.

delta3

Lu Zuckerman
2nd Dec 2004, 00:23
How many faces can you see in the rock formations. I counted at least six.

:E :E

heedm
2nd Dec 2004, 00:52
Couldn't see faces, but isn't that the sasquatch with a case of kokanee on the right?

407 Driver
2nd Dec 2004, 01:28
The picture was taken on June 24, 2003 at Abbott Pass elev 9,500'. The Pass is just a few miles west of Lake Louise Alberta, and is on the Rockies Continental Divide. The surrounding peaks are around 11,000'.

We fly in to the pass several times a year to service an old stone mountian climbers Hut built around the turn of the century.

Another less dramatic picture of the pass...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/dsmctighe/ALM9500.jpg

MD900 Explorer
2nd Dec 2004, 15:45
407 Driver

Well done on winning the December Calender Competition. It has been a pleasure to see your photographic input on the forum, and also an honour to have met you too. :ok:

I look forward to seeing more of your quality photographs in the forthcoming year. Safe Flying.:ok:

A truly international effort and i am kinda proud to be a part of a pretty decent forum on PPRuNe. :\

Regards

MD :ok:

turbinetaxi
3rd Dec 2004, 11:13
Fantastic job chaps, allways look forward to the callender, keep it up !!!

Staticdroop
1st Jan 2005, 08:14
Any sign of a calendar for January
looking forward to another excellent picture from somwhere nice:ok:

Heliport
1st Jan 2005, 22:59
BlenderPilot is very busy at the moment but it will be here soon.

John Eacott
2nd Jan 2005, 20:45
Blender has sent the calendar to me to host, it is at this link. (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/JanuaryCal2004.jpg)

A fairly large image, but worth the download. Wish we had snow like that down here :ok:

Heliport
2nd Jan 2005, 21:15
Thought we'd use another of our stunning snow scenes for January.

Thanks to Squirrel in Canada for the picture, to BlenderPilot in Mexico for creating the calendar and to John Eacott in Australia for hosting.

It's quite a big file so you may want to right-click on the link and Save target as ..... - especially if you're on a dial-up connection.

Heliport

moosp
3rd Jan 2005, 01:30
Many thanks to all involved in the release of this. As usual a brilliant shot that makes us all want to be there...

sprocket
3rd Jan 2005, 09:06
I have been waiting patiently to see this photo used on a calendar since it was first posted about a year ago. Top shot. :ok:

Johe02
6th Jan 2005, 19:14
If the calendar can be hosted at the same URL every month, everyone can set their desktop to link to that URL so. . as soon as the next one is ready it will automatically appear on the desktop. . . ?

Too gadgety?

:8

Heliport
6th Jan 2005, 20:57
For various technical reasons, we can't do that.

Downloading the new image only takes a couple of minutes, even on a dial-up connection - less on broadband - and the arrival of the new calendar is always well-publicised.

We've been late on occasions but, from now on, we hope to have the calendar available on the 1st of each month.

Heliport

BlenderPilot
6th Jan 2005, 23:21
This calendar has become the melting point of British Punctuality and Mexican Time, that is the reason why its never too late, but never on time.

Heliport
6th Jan 2005, 23:58
Beautifully put. :)

Knowing a little about your flying and Chief Pilot workload, I think it's amazing you find the time to help.
It's much appreciated. :ok:

Heliport

twinstar_ca
7th Jan 2005, 23:11
i agree... thanks should be said a little more often that the calendar is done when it's done...

haven't seen a bad one yet!!! :ok:

T_richard
13th Jan 2005, 00:01
Gentlemen

I thank you for another magnificent photgraph. Put it up whenever and wherever you want, I will find it

Heliport
30th Jan 2005, 16:40
This month's calendar is the first to be produced by John Eacott.

John already does a great deal for the forum - he's one of the two volunteers who host pictures for members without their own websites - and, starting this month, John and BlenderPilot will create the calendars on alternate months. Until now, Blender (alias Carlos) has created every calendar since we started producing them more than a year ago.

The picture we've chosen for this month's calendar isn't pretty or striking in the way the others have been, but it is intended as a Rotorheads tribute to all the helicopter crews who are working hard in difficult conditions to alleviate the terrible suffering caused by the tsunami disaster - including Vertalop from Malaysia who took the picture we've used.

Click on the link below - if you're on a dial-up connection, it's best to Right click and then Save target as ...

Click here (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Calendar/FebruaryCal2005.jpg)

Many thanks to John Eacott and Vertalop. :ok:

Heliport

sprocket
31st Jan 2005, 05:19
Its not linking at present, is that because it aint quite Feb yet?

Edit: Got it. :ok:

helimatt
31st Jan 2005, 05:25
It worked ok for me

Thanks John top work:ok:

VeeAny
31st Jan 2005, 13:24
Thanks boys

A good tribute to the people out there working.

My respect for the job done, and a good calendar.

V.

BlenderPilot
1st Feb 2005, 02:29
John, Heliport,

This calendar is really good, particularly because it makes us think extra effort those pilot's have to make when working in such difficult conditions to aid in one of history's worst natural disasters.

Congratulations to John E. for his first calendar, and a sincere thanks to all who are working in Indonesia helping others in their time of need.

BlenderPilot
1st Mar 2005, 01:43
This calendar is optimized for a 1024x768 resolution, please let me know if I should start making the calendar in other monitor resolutions.

Could somebody please post the instructions on how to place it as a desktop on a PC ?

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/March2005.jpg

gadgetguru
1st Mar 2005, 01:55
simplest method is simply use the right-click over the image above & when the menu appears, select 'Set as Wallpaper'

jobs done

[Gadgets PC tips for Pilots] :ok:

John Eacott
1st Mar 2005, 02:11
Blender,

another fine job: could you let us know who/where/what?

Re how to place on the desktop, the other right click instruction is "set as background".

BlenderPilot
1st Mar 2005, 02:26
John,

I knew I had forgotten something!

The picture was taken by me, as I flew past this private heliport in the west part of Mexico City, the pad is located at almos 8,000 FT AMSL, (with today's OAT that gives about a + 10,000 FT DA) and the helicopter belongs to a man who also owns a Twinstar, A109 Elite, and an EC135 that sits on a yacht somewhere in the Pacific ocean.

Performance for this helicopter around here is depressing, he can only move 4 passengers for a 15 minute flight to the factory where he has to refuel before coming back with the same 4 passengers, the Agusta Elite can move 2 extra passengers for a 1 1/2 hour flight!

wishtobflying
1st Mar 2005, 04:49
Is it just me or are there no registration markings on that aircraft?

Travelling Toolbox
1st Mar 2005, 06:31
Minor glitch guys - the calender says March 2004 :oh: :O

MD900 Explorer
2nd Mar 2005, 20:42
Blender

Great photo. But any chance you can change the March2004 to March 2005 . Not that i am pikky or anything.:ok:

Thanks

MD :E

Heliport
2nd Mar 2005, 21:22
Well done to those of you who spotted the deliberate mistake. :ok:

BlenderPilot is away flying at the moment but we'll get it changed asap.

Superb picture BP. :ok:

BlenderPilot
3rd Mar 2005, 03:41
I have changed the year now. I am glad you liked the picture.

sprocket
3rd Mar 2005, 07:54
The resolution is good on my desktop, thanks Blender.

HeliEng
3rd Mar 2005, 18:13
Ignore me!!!

407 Driver
3rd Mar 2005, 18:21
Um, I don't speak or read Spanish, but I'm guessing the Thread titled El Calendario de Marzo may mean March Calendar :O :p

dusk2dawn
5th Mar 2005, 11:44
How about a day-one-is-a-monday version, please ?

Sailor Vee
9th Mar 2005, 10:59
One more method after right-click is to "Save picture as ", you can then place it in any file on your hard-drive,(or a memory-stick, and can then move it to other computers you may have).

You can set as wallpaper by selecting 'browse' from the menu for wallpapers and selecting the file where you saved it. That way you can keep the piccie for as long as you want to.

VEMD
10th Mar 2005, 14:19
Saludos a la raza!!

murphy32
10th Mar 2005, 17:31
Coul anyone please let me know where i can find the calender:D

John Eacott
29th Mar 2005, 05:36
The calendar is available here (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Calendar/April%202005%20Sunday.jpg) for April. A nice international effort, with a photo taken by a UK contributor, of an Italian helicopter, in Finland :D (Hosted in Australia, too!)

A request was made last month for a version with the week starting on Monday: that one is available here. (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Calendar/April%202005%20Monday%202.jpg)

High res image here (Sunday) (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Calendar/April%202005%20Sunday%20large.jpg).
If you're on dial up, it's about 0.75mb, so expect time enough to go and make a coffee while it's downloading :D

Heliport
29th Mar 2005, 08:41
Many thanks to John Eacott in Melbourne for producing this month's calendar and to Head Turner for providing the picture.

We're always looking out for new pictures we can use for the monthly calendar so please keep posting them in our Rotorheads Around the World collection.

Heliport