PDA

View Full Version : Help please - freezing cursor

Gordon Fraser
17th Jan 2006, 14:39
From time to time (twice today) my cursor freezes and I have to close down the system and reboot. I use a MS Optical Intellimouse. I have run McAfee virus check and appear to be clear of viruses. :bored: Is this pronblem caused by a faulty mouse, or is it more likely a software problem ??

Conan the Librarian
17th Jan 2006, 18:15
Not familiar with your particular mouse, but is it battery powered or rechargeable? If so, change batts or recharge. My own Mice do the same thing when they are running low on go juice.

Conan

Gordon Fraser
17th Jan 2006, 18:42
Conan,
Thanks for your reply. My mouse plugs into port on computer and doesn't use batteries.
Gordon

Conan the Librarian
17th Jan 2006, 23:03
Aha! Then something might be using a lot of mem/processor time. Does this happen after a while or just after a boot? Have you recently instaled any new software or hardware? Try the 3 fingered salute and see if there is any difference.

Conan

Gordon Fraser
18th Jan 2006, 10:57
Conan, I leave the computer on all day and use it every 2/3 hours. It only happens after some time running. I never have any problem booting up. Perhaps I should close down between uses? No new software or hardware recently installed.
Thank you
Gordon

PPRuNe Pop
21st Jan 2006, 10:06
My cursor froze yesterday and day before - suddenly.

Went to MS site and got a download for the Intellimouse Optical (5.5) and all seems to be well but.......................................we wait!

Gordon Fraser
21st Jan 2006, 16:53
Pop,
Thanks for your info and guidance. I have downloaded patch from Microsoft and will be sitting with fingers crossed for the next few days.

PPRuNe Pop
21st Jan 2006, 22:24
I am certainly pleased to say that my cursor is now behaving itself - so far!.

Best wishes,

PPP

Gordon Fraser
23rd Jan 2006, 14:21
PPP

So Far, so good here too. Thanks

GF

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Jan 2006, 20:51
Glad to hear it. I on the other hand had a whole bunch of freeze ups! Once I realised what it was it's all back to normal.

So................I offer a bit of advice because it has happened before. Two bits of advice really. 1. Don't mess with MSCONFIG - the temptation is to reduce the number of startups at first start - this causes problems. And always make sure your startup is configed to 'Normal Startup.'

2. And the cruncher, and I completely forgot about it, is to ensure that you keep the temp down on your CPU. If it overheats it quite simply freeze frames your pooter and you have to re-start - but occasionally you cant until it cools down - so it is best you make sure all the vents and fans are getting sufficient air circulation. Been a bad pheeeeew days! ;) So there ya go as they say.

Gordon Fraser
24th Jan 2006, 13:53
ppp.
Thank you again. I used to work for a computer assembler in Yorkshire - not in a technical sense - but I learnt some basics. My computer was custom built and I suspect that the fan is not quite adequate. I am closing it down more frequently to avoid overheating and I think I will have the fan checked .

Gordon F

PPRuNe Pop
25th Jan 2006, 08:37
I am about to install a 3rd fan. Problem is that I have so many devices that the circulation is pretty ropey I guess. In the meantime I have taken a side panel off and voila! It is brill now.

PPP

BOAC
25th Jan 2006, 08:54
You'll be able to get out of the case now for a cup of coffee, Pop!:)

PPRuNe Pop
25th Jan 2006, 18:31
Yep I did that. But I had to pop back in again to keep blowing until I put the new fan in. ;)