PDA

View Full Version : But it was only flat on the bottom sir

I.R.PIRATE
17th Jan 2006, 13:16
Passengers on Kulula flight MN 102 from Cape Town to Johannesburg on Monday had to disembark before take-off and were delayed by almost two hours when engineers found that the nosewheel was deflated.

The 137 passengers and six crew members had to wait while all three tyres were removed and new ones put on.

Spokesperson Stuart Cochrane said that the tyres were checked before each aircraft's first flight every day.

However, engineers could only check subsequently whether the tyres were adequately pressurised once the aircraft was fully laden with passengers and fuel.

Changing the tyres required jacking the aircraft up, which is why it took as long as it did, he said.
All three tyres were replaced as a safety precaution because undue stress might have been placed on one of the others. - Staff Reporter

catchup
17th Jan 2006, 13:19
:) :) :)

Great

Gunship
17th Jan 2006, 13:45
Post of the year.

Dead Reporter of the year. I thought I have heard it all :p:p:p

B Sousa
17th Jan 2006, 14:28
Dont they use a pressure guage instead of passengers, much easier.....
Three Tires, thought they had a few more on those things...

SIC
17th Jan 2006, 14:33
I dont normally count wheels on a preflight - but in this case not noticing a flat I guess I would also not have noticed how many there were....

catchup
17th Jan 2006, 16:06
Believe it or not, sometimes it's hard to see.

Woof etc
17th Jan 2006, 16:11
Read All About It, Read All About It

Airliner Has Flat Wheel

Read All About It........

south coast
17th Jan 2006, 16:24
great post...booker prize material!

REAL ORCA
17th Jan 2006, 16:35
Eina!!!!!:}

Ray.W
18th Jan 2006, 14:46
This must have been a very large aircraft to have THREE nosewheel tyres :bored: or maybe the reporter couldn't count.

catchup
18th Jan 2006, 15:24
Guess you (or me:) ) didn't get it. The famous reporter assumed three gears=three tyres.:)

Mechanical Fingers
18th Jan 2006, 15:40
Was this a turn around or a pre-flight. If it was a transit check, it is not required to check the tyre pressures with a tyre pressure gauge. If the tyre deflated while passengers were off, they would not have seen it till the aircraft was loaded. If it was a pre-flight they slipped up. :hmm:

I had a nose wheel reading zero PSI on my pre - flight once. I do agree, with the naked eye I did not spot it. It is however a pre requisite on a pre-flight to check all tyre pressures with a tyre pressure gauge.