PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane Rating

unimuts
17th Jan 2006, 11:08
Looking to complete a seaplane rating on FAA atp licence and if possible JAA ATPL licence.

Anyone recommend a good company to do it with please. All comments and thoughts welcomed

Cheers

Unimuts

FlyingForFun
17th Jan 2006, 11:18
I did my FAA rating with Jack Brown's Seaplane Base at Winter Haven in Florida. Thoroughly good fun and definitely recommended!

Just one thing to watch out for if you go to Jack Browns: they quote (or at least they used to quote when I was there 2 years ago - it may have changed since) a fixed price for the course. All the examiners are employees. It is obviously in their interests for you to pass the test after minimum hours. You can see where we're going...... Not a problem for me, because I didn't want to actually use the rating, so I was happy to accept that I left with maybe an hour or two less instruction than I would need to be satisfied I was competent, but that might not be the case if you actually want to fly sea-planes.

I decided not to get a JAA rating. The reason is that the JAA rating needs to be revalidated every two years (off the top of my head, I think it's 12 hours on floats, including 12 water take-offs and 12 water landings, and an hour with an instructor - basically the same as the SEP(Land) but on water), and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep the rating valid. The FAA rating is valid for life with no currency requirements.

Have fun!

FFF
-------------

unimuts
17th Jan 2006, 18:09
Thanks FFF

I did a google search and found JB but i was seeking advice from those who went through a school. So JB sounds good and again thanks for the help and comments.

Unimuts