PDA

View Full Version : WedgeTail

one25six
16th Jan 2006, 12:03
Not sure if the flight at AMB (Arriving from Fiji) was a demo of the sturdiness of the military standard landing gear ( :O ) but it was certainly a 'positive' introduction to the touchdown markers:

Video (Win Broadband) (http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200601/r69622_193365.asx)

Magoodotcom
16th Jan 2006, 23:42
Not sure if the flight at AMB (Arriving from Fiji) was a demo of the sturdiness of the military standard landing gear ( :O ) but it was certainly a 'positive' introduction to the touchdown markers:
Video (Win Broadband) (http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200601/r69622_193365.asx)

Was a nasty shifting wind. Aircraft was due to land on 15, but was changed to 33 about 10 mins out, but just as it turned onto finals the wind swung around to about a 10-15kt tailwind out of the due south. Pilot did well considering. :ok:

Aircraft's arrival was a nicely spirited and it stopped in about the same space as a Caribou! :eek: Apparently Boeing pilot is an ex-F-22 test pilot! :E

Magoo :ok:

Chief galah
16th Jan 2006, 23:53
What are we actually going to do with them, and what is the perceived threat in the long term?
CG

Gnadenburg
17th Jan 2006, 00:10
What are we actually going to do with them, and what is the perceived threat in the long term?
CG

:confused:

More as a taxpayer than a pilot, that arrival made me cringe a little. Ouch.

Was a bit like John Raby's arrival into Marroochy on Virgin Blue's inaugral flight- but perhaps a little softer. :E

blueloo
17th Jan 2006, 01:11
It was a thumper! In fact reminded me of most of my normal landings....

Now where is my back brace

Woomera
17th Jan 2006, 01:42
The pilot must have been ex Navy:E

Re Raby, it is well known and proven by much research that the presence of a large media contingent at an inaugural anything or the need to impress others has a disturbing effect on the focus of attention.

The regular laws of Physics and Meterorological conditions for reasons not yet understood are suspended and/or changed dramatically at the most crucial moments.:p

one25six
17th Jan 2006, 03:03
The array antennae will be used to detect seditious comments by citizens against the Howard lootocracy - it will also be possible to detect a pilot landing at Karumba who is not displaying an ASIC card, and therefore threatening our American way of life.

As a Command and Control platform the Wedgetail will be used to control our future forays as an advance party force into future troublespots (read oil-rich countries who want to keep their sovereignty, acting on behalf of GW Bush Incorporated.

Just a sec, have to answer the door.......

Captain Sand Dune
17th Jan 2006, 04:12
No, no, no! Can't you see?! It's another way of saving money for the airlines!
After a tour on AWACS, one will have a command with 1,000 - 2,000 hours on type, therefore saving any endorsement costs for QF/DJ!! How else would you expect taxpayers money to be spent!!:} :}

one25six
17th Jan 2006, 04:51
Its our contribution to the MAD plan of our political masters - the lootocracy of the whitehouse - where insanity is a pre-requisite to get past the bouncers. (The bouncers are the American voters)

donpizmeov
17th Jan 2006, 05:09
I feel pretty sorry for any first tour fellas that get sent to these things. It would be a pretty dull way of spending a military flying career, I think even a Herc would be more fun (and thats a phrase that is never spoken). Could you imagine the bar talk after a flight, " After the first few hours we thought we would have some fun, so then we orbited to the right! ".:yuk:
Maybe not a bad retirement tour though.

Airliners are the things you fly before you die.

Don

Captain Sand Dune
17th Jan 2006, 06:55
[QUOTE][Airliners are the things you fly before you die.
/QUOTE]....while you're telling RAAF war-ies!!:)

donpizmeov
17th Jan 2006, 07:12
Too bloody true sandy, funny how they seem to get louder and better with the addition of beer, wine or any other form of wood alcohol that is cheap and handy at the time.
If only the body would stay as immature as the mind!!!!

Don

FlexibleResponse
17th Jan 2006, 11:16
Obviously it wasn't an autoland?

Did I hear someone say that the RAAF had the autoland function removed at additional cost?

Tech Log Defect: "Hard landing using Autoland".

Corrective Action: "Autoland not fitted to this aircraft".

P|_azbot
17th Jan 2006, 11:27
Side question, I heard Virgin was doing all the type training for the things (these and the VIP). This true?

cirrus32
17th Jan 2006, 22:26
Last I heard it was Qantas providing crew training ....

Flight Detent
18th Jan 2006, 01:49
Well, the B737 AEW&C airplane is not autoland capable, and it was at no extra cost!

All the pilot conversion training will be done under contract by Boeing, in Australia.

Cheers, FD :uhoh:

By the way: If you noticed the commercial TV clip on the airplane arrival at Amberley, I am the one in the white cap standing below the AEW&C picture on the hangar door!

CaptHairDryer
18th Jan 2006, 02:06
Side question, I heard Virgin was doing all the type training for the things (these and the VIP). This true?

Last I heard it was Qantas providing crew training ....

Didn't OzJet get the gig?? :hmm:

FlexibleResponse
18th Jan 2006, 11:28
Well, the B737 AEW&C airplane is not autoland capable, and it was at no extra cost!Civil Airliners fly every day of the year world-wide in all sorts of weather conditions. As a result, most new airliners are fitted with autoland capability as standard.

So why is a strategic military asset such as the Wedgetail non-autoland capable and therefore unable to operate in all weather conditions?

Perhaps Qantas will have to help the RAAF out on foggy days?

one25six
18th Jan 2006, 12:04
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5092986,00.jpg

Dark Knight
18th Jan 2006, 21:43
One25Six

"George Bush & John Howard won the elections,"

"If you don't like it, you better win elections."

DK

one25six
19th Jan 2006, 01:11
George Bush won the election.

Are you sure?

And even if he did, is that a mandate to cripple the US economy, defy the US constitution, illegaly invade another (oil-rich) country on a false premise, illegaly hold Australian Citizens without trial, increase the amount of nuclear weapons after a long term effort to reduce the stockpiles ....

And even if he did, is that reason for the US voters (all 55% of them who turned out) to sit back and take what they are given without reacting?

If you believe that, you are a complicit fool in one of the greatest follies of all time.

Flight Detent
19th Jan 2006, 01:17
OK FlexRespose, we're also pretty flexable, which airports in Australia are CAT III capable?

The inhibiting of the autoland is simply done by a pin selection (which is reverseable), so as to not allow both autopilots to be selected at the same time, easy heh!!!

The reason, I guess you'll just have to work that out for yourself!

Cheers, FD :)

Lord Snot
19th Jan 2006, 08:00
the B737 AEW&C airplane is not autoland capable, and it was at no extra costThey're lucky it even has an auto-pilot.

Hand-fly it, that's the way a real man flies a machine in the RAFF.

And no slings on the rifles for the grunts, either.

FlexibleResponse
19th Jan 2006, 10:42
OK FlexRespose, we're also pretty flexable, which airports in Australia are CAT III capable?OK Flight Detent what wars have been fought by Australians in Australia during the last century? An airport does not need to be CAT III capable to be autoland approved for both training and operations. Wedgetail is a strategic military asset that will be required to operate in all weather on an unlimited global basis.

The inhibiting of the autoland is simply done by a pin selection (which is reverseable), so as to not allow both autopilots to be selected at the same time, easy heh!!!And what reversible pin selection will instantly give the crews the training required to be CAT III capable?

Yes I too worked for the RAAF for many a year and suffered all the bull**** that is bandied about as "expert opinion". It might be about time to get some consultants in and for the knowlegeable to go kick a few Group Captain's and Air Commodore's arses into the future!

Lord Snot
19th Jan 2006, 13:16
OK Flight Detent what wars have been fought by Australians in Australia during the last century? This one, generally known as World War II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_air_attacks_on_Australia%2C_1942-43)

Dark Knight
19th Jan 2006, 23:12
One25six

You are entitled to believe what you will and your quotes are only your opinon which in their own right are subject to dispute;

However;

You still have to win the election!

DK

one25six
19th Jan 2006, 23:35
Indeed you are correct Knight of Darkness.

And by any means possible.

If record is anything upon which to form judgement.

Pass-A-Frozo
20th Jan 2006, 08:08
:E Who let the commi's out of their shanty town again?

one25six
20th Jan 2006, 09:43
What would communisim have to do with this topic PAF?

Do you even know what it is?

I suppose you think the USSR was a truly communist regime do you?

Well in fact it was doctrinaly a fascist state - one you would seem to enjoy.

FlexibleResponse
20th Jan 2006, 11:33
This one, generally known as World War IILord Snot,
Of course you are correct (my dad was on AAA in Darwin in WW2).

But I hope you didn't miss my point.

Lord Snot
20th Jan 2006, 21:12
But of course.....!!

I was just seizing the oportunity to indulge my nature as a pedant.

Outback01
11th Feb 2006, 18:24
Definately Virgin providing the training here. There's an agreement between the RAAF and Virgin - we loan them some pilots for a couple of years to get qual'd and they get our pilots for free...

Lord Snot
13th Feb 2006, 05:30
they get our pilots for free...That's better than a paid exchange deal. You'd hate to see the RAAF guys taking a pay cut for 12 months...we loan them some pilotsI'm sure you meant "lend"