PDA

View Full Version : Gov't protects Qantas over US routes

AlJassmi
15th Jan 2006, 21:25
Government protects Qantas over US routes
January 16, 2006 Herald Sun
THE Federal Government looks set to protect Qantas and deny access to Singapore Airlines on lucrative US routes.
The Herald Sun understands that Singapore's controversial execution of Melbourne drug trafficker Van Tuong Nguyen has been a factor in the air rights issue.
Nguyen was hanged on December 2 despite pleas by Prime Minister John Howard.
Mr Howard, a strong supporter of Qantas, is also concerned about the prospect of job losses if Singapore is given direct flights across the Pacific.
Both airlines have been lobbying the Government, with the trans-Pacific issue to be decided in a broad review of national aviation policy.
Qantas and US carrier United Airlines are the only airlines with non-stop US flights on the routes.
Advertisement:
Federal Cabinet is due to consider the issue next month.
Speaking in Beijing last week, Transport Minister Warren Truss hinted that Australia didn't have much room to move in negotiations.
"The countries that want access to the trans-Pacific route, particularly Singapore, don't have a lot to offer us in return, as Australia already has unlimited access to Singapore," he said.
Qantas recently said its low-cost offshoot Jetstar would eventually fly to the US, with the prospect of cheaper fares.
Virgin Blue is also keen to fly to the US and has argued that having another Australian-based carrier on the routes would be preferable to giving a foreign airline access.
Singapore Airlines spokeswoman Kate Pratley said consumers would be denied choice, flexibility and better services if US routes were not opened to more competition.
"Qantas is one of the most profitable airlines in the world yet it continues to seek protection from the Government," she said.
Loved the quote from Warren Truss - "Australia already has unlimited access to Singapore" (so why should we give them anything - we're right thanks Jack!). :hmm:
Fire away Sunfish!

king oath
15th Jan 2006, 21:51
I notice one Murdoch fish wrapper is of the opinion this is because Singapore hanged one our good quality drug runners.

One of the all time great beat ups from Australian journo's. How do they hope to have any credibility.

Capn Bloggs
15th Jan 2006, 22:42
Good to see. Level the playing field then they (and all the other ratbag outfits dragging my way of life to the bottom) can have access...

Bobster
15th Jan 2006, 23:13
If it is such a money maker, then why have American, Continental, Air NZ (hibernation?) and many others pulled out of the route?

Keg
15th Jan 2006, 23:28
The only reason SQ want is is because they know it's only a decade or so before a lot of people from OZ start to overfly SIN direct for Europe and when that happens, SQ will be stuffed.

Bring on the hub busters! That should even keep Sunfish happy! :E

chockchucker
15th Jan 2006, 23:47
One might also hope that this news (if accurate) might remove some of the management argument (or threat) of the need to send QF heavy maintenance to China.
Then again, with an EBA currently in negotiation with some of the maintenance unions, that's probably unlikely.

Enema Bandit's Dad
16th Jan 2006, 05:11
Interesting to see that my comment to Scumfish has been deleted. Seems it's okay for him to slag off at Qantas and say he couldn't care less if its employee's all lost their jobs but when someone has a go at him, the comments get censored. Could one of the Woomera's really be Sunfish??:uhoh:

I think you need to have a rest for a few days, you repost the offensive term, the reason the post was deleted W:{

cribble
16th Jan 2006, 06:19
"The countries that want access to the trans-Pacific route.......as Australia already has unlimited access to Singapore," he said.
Does not your transport minister appreciate that the access QANTAS has could be withdrawn at the drop of a hat? (or the drop of a midnight fax, as NZ found a few years ago:uhoh:

domo
16th Jan 2006, 08:18
hopefully when this is announced qantas will finally pull its head in over this china outsourcing. or maybe we should close down qantas and make air china the national carrier. at least i will get a bowl of rice a day rather than doom and gloom

16th Jan 2006, 23:12
Look, if Qantas need government protection to survive they should get it. But what if every other Australian buisness struggling in a tough international market also applied for the armour plate of government patronage and support?

I use Apple computers etc and hold some shares and am glad that they survived by getting better,not by protection. Still if QF's chosen path works they should keep going.

priapism
16th Jan 2006, 23:41
Domo,

If the government has any balls it will tell qantas to stop outsourcing it's labour overseas or it will open the skies up to S.Q.

It will never happen though. Q.F always was and always will be a protected species . Not that this is such a bad thing . The same rule should have been applied to much of Australia's manufacturing and textile industries. Not too many of them left now.

Woomera
17th Jan 2006, 01:33
Thought I'd stickie this for a bit.

There is a genuine dilemma here for Govt and QF.

numbskull
17th Jan 2006, 09:26
The Gov and QF are both waiting for each other to make a decision first.

The Gov want more competition and will open the skies if QF sends more jobs overseas, but they're waiting to see which way QF jump.

QF want protected routes to shore up profits and will send more work overseas if the Gov opens the skies but they're waiting to see which way the Gov will jump.

They're both waiting for each other to make a decision and the end result is no decision is being made. QF employees are struggle to maintain a good service with increasingly diminishing resources and an axe hanging over their head no matter how well they perform.

All management are concerned with is ripping costs out of the airline. I think they are probably really good accountants but I think they have absolutely no idea how to fly,fix or crew a plane or run an airline.

QFinsider
17th Jan 2006, 19:56
Numbskull that my friend is a succinct observation...

"I think they are probably really good accountants but I think they have absolutely no idea how to fly, fix or crew a plane or run an airline"

They certainly do not. Our "beloved" Chief Pilot spent a lot of time slinging off at some enteprising chap who used not inconsiderable talent to modify a screensaver of the CP...Then as part of the tirade berated pilots on dress standards.The all important wearing a tie to work when not in uniform ..all whilst our careers go down the toilets, maybe it's time the Cadets got their hands off the ummmm wheel;) All of that in his bi-monthly "communication"..What a talent...

Not a cadet basher...just scathing of mismanagement:E

p.s I don't posess the computer literacy to design and install the said screensaver:E

Mr Seatback 2
17th Jan 2006, 22:13
I read in the Australian back in December, I believe, that QF were going to use JQ International to fix the 'competition' problem on the SYD-US routes. Not sure if it was LAX especially.

Apparently, the argument was that with a lower cost airline doing the US as well, offering much lower airfares than either QF or UA, why would you open up the skies SYD-US? The consumer has their competition, lower fares and choice of three carriers - all whilst keeping more jobs in Oz.

Interesting plan. Be even more interesting to see what happens.

alangirvan
18th Jan 2006, 00:45
Who said SQ would come in and do lower fares? SQ will come in to take the traffic at the front of the plane - the people in the full length beds.

If SQ really wants to develop tourism to Australia, this country could offer them unlimited flights to USA from any Australian port except SYD.

nomorecatering
18th Jan 2006, 03:22
Good to see the Oz government finally looking after Aussies. SQ on the Oz us route would simply mean an export of jobs from Australians to Singaporians. Simple as that.

king oath
18th Jan 2006, 04:23
QFinsider.
I too was amazed that the CP would spend so much self indulgent space in the supposed "newsletter' to berate some one because his ego was hurt.

But then when you read the rest of the cr*p in said newsletter what would you expect.

The "headmaster" talks to the pilots like they are schoolboys. As a grown man I treat it with the respect it deserves. Trouble is its a bit shiny for toilet paper.

QFinsider
18th Jan 2006, 10:41
Yep..King

If he behaves like a ******, carries on like a ******, treats his pilots as a ******, is it any wonder that many including the screen saver developer portray one as such!

If only the pages were perferated!:E

What a bunch of tools...

As someone said to me recently, an aircraft order(65) would have had the pilot group foaming at the mouth. It does not rate a mention,, we don't give a toss...No wonder they were short of flight crew over New Years...

Furthermore I hope my colleagues realise we will get done from the inside (you wouldn't let the J* boys and girls in) by J* AGAIN....

As the demographic of the baby boomer shifts in retirement, skills will be required in all western economies bidding up real wages...The race to the bottom will be short lived provided we CONVINCE OURSELVES of the economic reality in the next five years...
However if Dixon can continue the PR campaign to convince everyone otherwise we deserve all we get...

As I remember saying at the time, being flexible with an EBA "yes" vote just got us rogered harder. To all the wussy girl's blowses, appeasement achieves nothing.

The engineers may well say no to the EBA as did Eastern(well done)..The short haul EBA offer is crap say nooo...

Then given the likely defeat of IR reforms(by the states in the high court) and a 2007 election may just give us the scope to develop the backbone needed to stare down these bullies...

No-one who works in corporate can actually fly these aircraft, despite their executive bonus schemes and first class travel entitlements...

A bewdiful thing, an australian government challenging a company claiming to be australian yet acting in every way unaustralian...Maybe they will have to learn to manage!:E

See...with just a little more thought you can be just as forthright and not sound like unedumacated trailer trash:ok:

Ethereal Woomera

rammel
18th Jan 2006, 21:58
On the B787 order, out of the 65 or so that are ordered there will only end up being 20 new aircraft or so, as they are B767 and Classic replacements. So yes it is a large order but how many of say the 20 extra aircraft will do QF flying.

lowerlobe
19th Jan 2006, 21:50
QFINSIDER..
I share your frustration with darth Dixon and those who believe we should be flexible in our negotiations when that only serves to encourage the company to roger us all the more.

Our union (faaa) is full of appeasment and surrender monkeys and I have to ask as to their motives.

the faaa has told us that the vote they conducted on the JFK shuttle was an overwhelming yes...Interesting when everyone I have asked voted NO

No one can negotiate from a position of weakness and that is certainly our position as with anyone else who believes the company has anything else but their bonus's on their mind..

Lodown
22nd Jan 2006, 17:52
For those supporters of government protection of Qantas routes, can I ask a question or two?

Do you see any connection between government protection and continued unfettered managerial attacks on QF employee wages and conditions? I do, but it might just be me.

No SAR No Details
22nd Jan 2006, 18:22
The connection is not difficult to make given that the airline is alleged to have made a significat contribution in both manpower and money to the developmenet of the new "Work Choices" legislation.

Darth Dixon as you creatively refer to him has become an expert at holwing the airline down claiming bird flu, sars, 9/11, the ashes tour and anything else that he can think of as a reason for gouging the conditions and wages of the employees.

The only wages that never go down are his and those of his henchmen.
Stabd by for an announcement of more outsourcing in Feb/March and watch him blame it on the inflexibility of the unions.

Must be tough trying to live on 3.2 million a year Darth.

lowerlobe
22nd Jan 2006, 20:25
Your right about Darth ..the only thing he is concerned with is maximizing his bonus and payout.

He cries foul if the wind changes direction and will complain to a fence post if he thinks it is listening but I think you are being a bit generous with 3.2 million.I think the true figure is much higher...

If only the unions could think smart for a week or two and get together and act as a group ...but that will never happen

No SAR No Details
23rd Jan 2006, 19:19
Now you have got me interested?

I'd pay money to see that individual get his comeupance and the harder the better.

Let's hear what you have in mind...........

Perhaps the ONLY thing that has a chance of uniting the unions is the prospect of finishing off his ignominious career at the airline.

I'd be checking the silverware BEFORE any of them left the building.

lowerlobe
23rd Jan 2006, 21:22
Just imagine if all the QF unions got together and instead of arguing about what they want individually decided to tell Darth that they will not stand for any more.

If Doomsday Dixon continues with his anti Australian employment plans while feathering his own nest then they will shut the airline down. It would be difficult but not impossible for management to get around one union but to get around all of them at the same time would be impossible.

Dixon however, is an expert at divide and conquer and I’m sure he has enough union officials in his pocket or enough people to create dissent within the unions to prevent this from happening.

There has to be a balance in industrial action on both sides but at the moment Darth has carte blanche to do whatever he wants and the unions are completely compliant and will be steamrolled.

If he continues with his concept of aircraft maintenance in China then all QF unions should say NO but the unions in QF cannot even agree within their own ranks as to the correct strategy let alone a collective approach to Dixon and his chicken little scare tactics

Perhaps a collective advertising campaign on the billboards out side and around the jet base would get his attention for a start

Animalclub
24th Jan 2006, 00:06
Not only the unions should say NO to sending work overseas, the government should too.

If work goes overseas the government loses out by...
- not receiving taxes from salary/wages lost;
- having to pay out the dole to those people who have lost their jobs.
A substantial amount of money.

Surely if the government is prepared to sacrifice that amount of money it would appear that at least part of these funds could be used as a subsidy (as happens in other countries) or protection schemes could be arranged for such things as the Australia-USA route to prevent job losses (as happens in other countries). Am I being too simplistic or do the buzzwords "level playing field" come out to play here?

John Singleton, in his book Rip Van Australia, coined a phrase "The government orta syndrome". "The government orta do this" or "the government orta do that". He's against government interference in business and so am I, but as with all blanket statements/policies there is sometimes a need to be pragmatic... and the government SHOULD/MUST do something about sending jobs overseas.

qcc2
24th Jan 2006, 01:24
with the current government. they dont really give a toss about qf. the only thing they are worried is that as an aussie icon it does not go down well with the public. since the dictators in singapore couldn't care less about hanging the aussie "drugrunner" it is believed JH isn't too pleased. having said that dame margret is also said to be on of JH favourite persons. she "excelled" in her role as an excecutive on the australian business council and contributed a lot to the new industrial relations changes.

lowerlobe
24th Jan 2006, 02:49
I was on the ridiculous misunderstanding that the government which is elected by the people is meant to represent the people and have those people’s interests at heart…

Stupid me…

Which person on the QF board or government has the interest of the Chinese economy on their mind…I wonder..