PDA

View Full Version : C17 logistics

BUMPFF
15th Jan 2006, 19:21
As an elderly transporter (Transport Command [Hastings] though to Strike [VC-10s]) who has only seen the C17 as a static exhibit, in the wake of the story of the rescue of the crew of the Russian submarine rescue vessel 'Priz', I am intrigued to know how the trip to Vladivostok was set up and what sort of back-up was provided - flight planning, hotac, in-flight catering, number of crew, ground support, etc. In my day we couldn't think that far or that big.

dallas
15th Jan 2006, 19:40
I'm told it took a lot of pre-emption from Ascot Ops. In particular they had tasked the C17 to Prestwick before the decision to go ahead had been taken because otherwise there would not have been enough time to go from Brize to Prestwick, load then head to Russia.

The person in question at Ascot, allegedly, got a piece of string and a borrowed child's inflatable globe to figure C17 range and great circle route to a suitable airfield, which turned out to be Vladivostock. This was backed up with proper jetplans with load weight etc, but you can't run a Jetplan if you don't know where you're going! We might have 21st century kit but still need 19th century ingenuity!

Although the captain was awarded the Order of Lenin (or whatever it was), he was but one of a bunch of people who went beyond the call of duty.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Jan 2006, 13:41
If it had been the Navy, they would have done the thing with the string and the globe (I like it btw) and then opened the globe up to reveal a fully stoked wet bar.

Like this:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/ed/fd/17_1.JPG

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/e7/f3/79_1.JPG

airborne_artist
16th Jan 2006, 13:46
reveal a fully stoked wet bar and a knockout Wren steward in regulation black stockings to serve the drinks...:ok:

This will give you the idea:

http://www.timetobook.freeserve.co.uk/forties_files/wren-leaning-300w.jpg

Nibbled2DeathByDucks
16th Jan 2006, 14:07
The globe in ASCOT Ops is indeed inflatable - unfortunately, there isn't a bar inside!!

They couldn't find a piece of string on the day in question, so they used an opened out paperclip, and let some air out of the globe to make it fit (allegedly)

Lyneham Lad
16th Jan 2006, 16:39
They couldn't find a piece of string

I thought the RAF was run (on a shoe) string nowadays?!

BUMPFF
16th Jan 2006, 18:52
Mine was a serious question. The only sensible answer I got was from Dallas, and I thank him for that. I can only guess that the rest of you man the blanket store at RAF Web's End.

Always_broken_in_wilts
16th Jan 2006, 20:41
Bumfluf,

There is precious little room for humour in todays "mob" so please excuse the guys and gals pi@@ taking....

In my opinion opening the Navel globe would have been more likely to have revealed a "fully stoked wet barman".....just a humble opinion.

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Onan the Clumsy
16th Jan 2006, 21:01
Mine was a serious question. The only sensible answer I got was from Dallas, and I thank him for that. I can only guess that the rest of you man the blanket store at RAF Web's End.

That's as maybe, but all the people reading your thread probably look like this:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
:hmm: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
:ugh: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

[© 2006 – movadinkampa747]

movadinkampa747
16th Jan 2006, 21:09
You got that idea about the audience from RAF coppers thread didn't you onan.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Jan 2006, 21:13
Fast Jet Pilot Kit thread actually.

Copyright notice dully affixed :ok:

movadinkampa747
16th Jan 2006, 21:14
Ah sorry you are right................ TY

Onan the Clumsy
16th Jan 2006, 21:19
Doing my best to make it a prune staple.

Lyneham Lad
16th Jan 2006, 21:35
I can only guess that the rest of you man the blanket store at RAF Web's End.
There's no room - The Helpful Stacker is already based there :}