PDA

View Full Version : Security Panic Attack over Spare Batteries in Jacket

RatherBeFlying
15th Jan 2006, 15:45
I picked up a bunch of AAA batteries for a good price, tied them into a baggie and dumped them into a jacket pocket against future need.
Some time later I had to fly YYZ-DEN and endured the lineups for checkin, US Immigration/Customs and then Security. After the usual belt buckle undoing and wanding, spent several minutes waiting for my stuff which was held up at the X-ray station while several personnel were called over to have a gander. During all this time, nobody thought to ask me to take out and show them the contents. At long last the offending tray came down the conveyor, I took the items out of the pocket, showed them to the security person and was promptly sent on my way.
Returning via DEN, I put the batteries in the tray and -- after the usual 20 minutes in queue -- zipped through.

PAXboy
15th Jan 2006, 19:57
I have never been stopped/delayed for batteries before!! Always have some AA and AAAs in the cabin bag but this does not surprise me. At IOM (UK) My cabin bag is regularly opened and the computer inspected. When I comment (politely) that this never happens at any other UK airport, they always say that the equipment is all set to the same trigger levels.

slim_slag
15th Jan 2006, 20:57
Security really improved in the States after 9/11 and they are getting pretty good at it now. If they see something suspicious on the x-ray they seem to get a second opinion and "cross check". Sure, it holds things up but better safe than sorry and they are pretty efficient overall. I suppose batteries catch their interest as they are a power source and so have lots of uses, not all good. I also think they are worried about things being moulded in the linings of jackets, so I for one am glad they took extra time.

YOWGirl
15th Jan 2006, 21:13
I think the interesting angle to this story is that the Canadian security staff took the extra look at the batteries but the Americans on the return segment did not.
This is something I've noticed repeatedly over the last few years... Canadian security regularly find my errant corkscrews, souvenir matches, etc in carry on where US more often than not fails to notice...

RatherBeFlying
16th Jan 2006, 00:16
Rather than holding up the entire line for several minutes, you would think they would simply ask you to remove any suspicious item for closer inspection while they put the coat back through the X-ray.

Globaliser
16th Jan 2006, 08:38
A screener in London once showed me the scan view of one of those long strips of AA batteries in my bag, and explained how they can in some circumstances look a bit like ammunition - hence they take a more careful look if they see something like that to make sure that they are indeed batteries.

GroundScot
16th Jan 2006, 14:18
A tip - never take any batteries with you in your hand baggage from INDIA.

The police always take them away siting 'security' - and them sell them on the market the next day............

slim_slag
16th Jan 2006, 14:34
Just from my non-expert observations it seems that it's fellow passengers who cause the most delay at security. People who wait until the final moment to take their coats off, and those who carry corkscrews in their luggage even though there are signs all over the place telling them not seem to cause the most delay. Give them another queue I say. In some places, like ORD, frequent fliers get their own queue so you are at least behind people who have half a clue. That's not the same as fastrack at places like LHR where you can often take longer than economy, and also demonstrates that having the money (or the company's) to pay for business class doesn't mean you know what you are doing at an airport.

Returning via DEN, I put the batteries in the tray and -- after the usual 20 minutes in queue -- zipped throughAnd that's the way to do it, make it easy for them to see these things on their own and you get through quickly. This also demonstrates that people don't estimate time well. If you look at the actual figures at http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov it is very uncommon to wait 20 minutes at DEN. Usually you are through in 5-10, sometimes less. Heathrow doesn't appear to want to share this info, having stood there with a watch and timed them I can understand why.

slim_slag
28th Jan 2006, 10:40
Heathrow doesn't appear to want to share this info, having stood there with a watch and timed them I can understand why.

Took 47 minutes from the start of security queue until picking up bag after scanning at LHR T3 this morning. Somebody important from LHR should go to America to see how it's done properly and make some changes.

apaddyinuk
28th Jan 2006, 11:28
I remember not so long ago I would regularly be asked if I had batteries on my person or in my luggage. But recently I find it less and less!

rsoman
28th Jan 2006, 14:56
A tip - never take any batteries with you in your hand baggage from INDIA.

The police always take them away siting 'security' - and them sell them on the market the next day............

Oh no - we are not that impoverished!!! After all the stuff cost just 10pence!

slim_slag
1st Feb 2006, 21:30
Took 47 minutes from the start of security queue until picking up bag after scanning at LHR T3 this morning

Four security scans at US airports since then (all which are busier than LHR) and the longest queue was - er, there wasn't one. Put my bags on the tables provided, unloaded electrical stuff, and went straight through. No problems with any electronic equipment either, fast efficient and courteous service.

My non expert view would be that LHR needs to provide table space to unload laptops and take outer garments off, and provide more screening stations. Obviously this would mean closing down some retail outlets so it will never happen. The passenger who pays BAA at LHR good cash for security clearance and to enter the shopping mall is just going to have to queue for longer.

10secondsurvey
1st Feb 2006, 22:01
I have recently spent very long periods at LHR trying to reach security, but I don't think the punters should be held responsible. As slim slag pointed out, it may help if people took off their coats in advance etc... but I am not convinced. I genuinely believe that if all the punters were really good, and were ready to zip through security, all that would happen is they would either close one of the screening areas, or worse reduce the staffing levels. If everyone goes really slow, who knows, they may actually open more than one screening area, or even more revolutionary, actually get enough staff.

As a fare paying passenger who pays for these security checks in my ticket, I have a problem with the way in which some security personnel get really uppity if you are not ready with your gear just as they like it. For instance, until recently, laptops in UK airports were screened within your baggage, but in the USA you had to get them out of any cases or bags to put them through separately. After a long flight from the UK, at one USA checkpoint, I forgot this, and sent my laptop through in my travel case. The security screener really lost it - "you should know to take laptops out - IT IS NOW STANDARD PROCEDURE" , and so on. The rant from her lasted quite a few minutes, and she still didn't get it when I said I'm from the UK and over there they insist you keep it in the case.

Everywhere I go they have some variation on procedures - my passport was compulsorily x-rayed at AMS recently (no kidding!). I don't mind the procedures, but the staff need to get a grip and understand that what they do day in and day out ain't necessarily what is done elsewhere, and they should also remember that very tired jet-lagged people can occasionally make mistakes, and are not necesarily filled with the joys of spring.

slim_slag
2nd Feb 2006, 01:39
10secondsurvey,

If the security person 'really lost it' you should have complained to their supervisor. What I have often seen at US screening is somebody calling out instructions (call it shouting if you want) to take your laptops out, take your shoes off etc. To me that's just being a bit assertive to get people through the system faster, for the benefit of all. If only the people at LHR would make a bit of noise and tell people to take their coats off when in the queue and not wait until they are in front of the bloody x-ray machine. There are also some places in the States where people behave assertively all the time and they are actually being nice, you obviously wouldn't like living in New York :)

1DC
2nd Feb 2006, 06:27
Misunderstandings can happen. Passing through security at EWR one night the x ray man asked me what I had in my briefcase. I listed a few things and said the word torch, torch he yelled and suddenly I had two serious guys either side of me guiding me around a screen. My briefcase appeared and I opened it producing the torch, I was told "That isn't a torch, it's a goddammed flashlight !"
If i recall correctly it ended in amusement on both sides, but the fact is that in the USA a torch is an incendiary device and in the UK it is a flashlight.

Ballast
2nd Feb 2006, 13:27
The other year returning through Orlando they spotted and refused to take on board the battery pack from my sons radio control car, despite my offer to show them the car drive around the terminal (and this was hold baggage, not hand baggage).
We were forced to go to the US Post Office and mail the battery home. I chose the cheapest post option ("cannot guarantee when it will get there, sir").

We landed in the UK the next morning and the following day it dropped onto our doormat.

The irony of the whole thing was that we were on the last plane out of Orlando before a Hurricane, no flights left for a further 3 days. Therefore the package must have travelled in the hold of the plane we were on, which is exactly where it would have travelled if we had been allowed it in our luggage.

Strepsils
2nd Feb 2006, 16:04
Somebody important from LHR should go to America to see how it's done properly and make some changes

Yeah, sure. There are no queues because Canadian security regularly find my errant corkscrews, souvenir matches, etc in carry on where US more often than not fails to notice...

I'd rather wait and have everyone checked properly than get through quickly and not be checked well.

slim_slag
2nd Feb 2006, 16:16
Four boxes of matches are OK in your carry on, how do you know TSA 'failed to notice'? I don't believe the corkscrew story.

10secondsurvey
3rd Feb 2006, 06:53
Slim slag, like I said, if everyone at LHR got their coats off, the queues would not speed up, they would simply reduce staffing levels to maximise profits. The queues would remain as big.

As for the USA - go there lots, hear people (goons) screaming (being 'assertive' in your words) at little old ladies, and I choose to pay them no heed whatsoever. "Come on now on the double run run RUN! you mother f****** get your coat off now!!!!" Had I wanted to join the US marine corp, I would have applied.

As for the laptop, yes I did try to speak to the supervisor, but said goon would not allow it. Doh!

slim_slag
3rd Feb 2006, 12:04
10SecondSurvey,

You seriously expect me to believe a screener screamed Come on now on the double run run RUN! you mother f****** get your coat off now!!!!? Simply don't believe you and that makes the rest of what you say have zero credibility :)

10secondsurvey
9th Feb 2006, 07:04
Slim Slag

You need to take a chill pill. It was a joke. I was giving an example of the way these clowns behave. I think they must all be ex US Marine wannabees. Of course the screener didn't say those things. God help us....

My original point is however accurate - but even although you were not there you apparently don't believe it. Let me tell you, the screener really did lose it -big time. Went on and on and on rant rant rant, and when I asked to speak to the supervisor, I was told I cannot. THESE ARE THE FACTS.

I'm guessing by your 'I know best' responses that you are also one of these people. Hey you know whats right don't you? Don't let the facts get in the way.

Have a look through my other posts and you will see I do not make things up, and an apology would be nice.

slim_slag
9th Feb 2006, 09:19
10secondsurvey,

It's clear from this web site that not everybody takes well to the idea of having to go through a screening process before they get on a plane. I think most people accept it's a good idea that you have your bags and person checked, and I'm sorry to say I'm one of them and it doesn't bother me one bit. Why do others have problems? Many reasons I suspect. Some people just have problems with authority, others are understandably tense.

Anger is quite common in society and it's not a bad emotion to have. The whole airport experience can be quite stressful. For instance how many people in the queue think thay are going to miss their flight and they see this queue in front of them. Others might be just worried because somebody might look in their bag and they have filly underwear in there. I know a customs officer who says the nervous people are the ones with nothing to hide, so it's common to be emotional, and not neccesarily a bad thing. Also a large percentage of people are scared of flying. All this is very understandable.

So given all this I don't think it's strange that anger is triggered in some passengers when confronted with a screening process. What I'd suggest are simple tricks to manage this. Breath deeply when you approach the queue, repeat calming words to yourself. 'Relax, don't worry' etc. Visualise pleasant things. Before you know it you will be through the screening process and have to deal with the scrum at the gate. Now that is annoying :)

All in all, I think TSA do a great job. I've watched them over the years and they get some real strange people going through, a lot of them are just totally lost and have no idea what to do. I have never seen them 'lose it' like is reported on here, never heard them call somebody a 'mother f@@@@er' like reported on here, never seen them manhandle somebody like reported on here. I've seen them tell people what to do, but to be frank some people need that. I've seen them process people efficiently and courteously and I think other countries could learn a lot by copying them.

patdavies
9th Feb 2006, 11:19
my passport was compulsorily x-rayed at AMS recently (no kidding!).

Well that'll cause fun once they have embedded chips

10secondsurvey
9th Feb 2006, 19:13
Slim Slag

This is getting tedious. Please read my post very carefully again, as you clearly just don't understand the English language.

But I guess that unless you are truly dumb, you seem to be deliberately trying to obfuscate the arguments being put forward here. This is something everyone can see right through. (excuse the pun!)

slim_slag
10th Feb 2006, 09:33
English is my first language and I did read your post. You wrote

As for the USA - go there lots, hear people (goons) screaming (being 'assertive' in your words) at little old ladies, and I choose to pay them no heed whatsoever. "Come on now on the double run run RUN! you mother f****** get your coat off now!!!!" Had I wanted to join the US marine corp, I would have applied.

When challenged, you admitted you never actually heard the 'goon' 'scream' 'mother f@@@er' at 'little old ladies'. You made it up.

How much more of the anti-TSA diatribe on here is made up? I don't recognise the TSA as depicted on here, and I don't hear about many lawsuits against them in a country as litigeous as the USA. Now if you have evidence to back up your assertions then I'm all ears. Last time I went through I watched at least 100 people in front of me get screened, and in not a single case did I see any inappropriate behaviour by a TSA screener. I saw them deal with a lot of people who were unsure of their surroundings, and they did it efficiently and courteously and with good humour.

Did you know that these 'goons', who up to now have simply been following procedures written by their bosses, are going to get more discretion on who they select for secondary screening? It's what some people have been demanding, less screening of grannies (where, according to them, they are strip searched in front of the passing crowd) and the likes. I bet you when it starts those same complainers will find fault.

10secondsurvey
10th Feb 2006, 15:23
Slim Slag

You know fine well that the comments I made are deliberately being taken out of context by you, and then being presented to mean something else.

It is abundantly clear to anyone who reads my chain of comments that the "mother******" comments were meant as a stereotypical example of what an extreme version of security would sound like, and was a bit tongue in cheek. That is abundantly clear to everyone but yourself.

Do you really think I would come on this forum and seriously suggest the swearing comments were genuine? That is why I find your responses so tedious.

The facts relating to my earlier description of my run in with the screener regarding my laptop are the facts, regardless of what you may like to delude yourself with.

I would once again question your ability to comprehend meaning in the English language.

I have read some of your other posts on other threads, and they seem to be of a similar standard.

No doubt you will respond with more mis-quotes and mis-interpretations, but I will not waste more of my time with your nonsense.

TightSlot
10th Feb 2006, 21:00
... but I will not waste more of my time with your nonsense.

Good!!!

Both of you make valued contributions to PPRuNe, but much less so when brawling. May I ask you both to continue your dispute via PM if you wish to continue?