PDA

View Full Version : OASC for 6th Form Scholarship

scottyhs
15th Jan 2006, 15:42
Hi guys, i posted a while ago about me applying for a 6th form scholarship and got alot of help (thank you all) the time has come (now ive passed) to go to cranwell and face OASC, im just wondering about a few areas in particular, mainly current affairs? Is there any "hot spot" areas they will always want you to have some knowledge on. i've done alot of reading and think im ok on my current affairs knowledge focusing on Iraq, Middle East, Terrorism, UK Cabinet and Govt...etc... any other ideas/ tips where i should divert my attention to? I would like to find some info on the new supercarriers but cant seem to find any, could anyone direct me to that???

Thanks very much guys in advance

Scott

Lafyar Cokov
15th Jan 2006, 19:55
Make sure you are fully aware of what is going on in Western Samoa and Fiji at the moment!!

BEagle
15th Jan 2006, 20:33
scottyhs - try http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects/cvf.htm for information about the carriers.

Good luck!

Melchett01
15th Jan 2006, 21:57
Make sure you are fully aware of what is going on in Western Samoa and Fiji at the moment

Yes I belive Fiji have submitted a rather good film for next month's Oscars!

Or have I missed something else ...... they haven't become a nuclear power have they and want to test their first device over Solihull in retaliation for all our tests in their back garden???:\

Dunhovrin
16th Jan 2006, 02:57
Scotty,

I don't know if they still ask it in this modern age (and I never thought I would say that!) but

"Mr Scotty. What would you do if you are tasked to deliver a nuclear weapon to a heavily populated target?"

I still don't know how to say " I don't give a toss about civvies if it means I GET TO FLY...." in the correctly thoughtful and defferential terms.

Go for it mate and don't let us moaning old firkers put you off.

PS Who's your MP? Always a gotcha.

Stringy
16th Jan 2006, 08:26
Hi guys, i posted a while ago about me applying for a 6th form scholarship and got alot of help (thank you all) the time has come (now ive passed) to go to cranwell and face OASC, im just wondering about a few areas in particular, mainly current affairs? Is there any "hot spot" areas they will always want you to have some knowledge on. i've done alot of reading and think im ok on my current affairs knowledge focusing on Iraq, Middle East, Terrorism, UK Cabinet and Govt...etc... any other ideas/ tips where i should divert my attention to? I would like to find some info on the new supercarriers but cant seem to find any, could anyone direct me to that???

Thanks very much guys in advance

Scott
When are you off to OASC?
Make sure you are fully aware of what is going on in Western Samoa and Fiji at the moment
Yes I belive Fiji have submitted a rather good film for next month's Oscars!

Or have I missed something else ...... they haven't become a nuclear power have they and want to test their first device over Solihull in retaliation for all our tests in their back garden???
A quick google news search reveals all ;)
There is the distinct possibility of a Military Coup in Fiji, however they have recently agreed to have talks (PM and military chief) which may be an opportunity to defuse the situation.

alexmac
16th Jan 2006, 09:45
Scotty,

Forgot to let you know - i'm off to OASC towards the end of month for 6th form sponorship in ATC.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on! :ok:

Well Travelled Nav
16th Jan 2006, 13:55
Focus on the areas the AFCO questioned you about and the areas required for improvement that you should have received from them.

Learn all about your branch training requirements.

Not rocket science is it. Just do your prep in depth and don't attempt to blagg it.

WTN

scottyhs
16th Jan 2006, 17:52
Right thanks guys, i will have a look at that website about the carriers, the fiji situation and the local MP thank you very much all. I dont want to post dates exactly as i dont believe in posting such things on a public forum but its early feb thats all ill say lol! Lokking forward to it, should be a good experience and hope it all goes well.... but in the mean time if any one can add anything please feel free. And i might have to get in touch with the AFCO as i never did get any feedback from my interview!

Time Flies
16th Jan 2006, 18:29
In the interview stage they will explore your knowledge of current affairs/branch/service knowledge etc. It is impossible to know absolutely everything so when they push your knowledge to its limits (which they will) simply answer "I'm sorry I don't know" instead of trying to blag it.

The board officers see 1000's of applicants a year so will spot a blag a mile off.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Bob Viking
16th Jan 2006, 20:15
I'm being thick for a moment. Please indulge me.
What the hell does lol mean?
BV:confused:

Ops and Mops
16th Jan 2006, 20:19
Maybe Beags can enlighten us with his "Digi-yoof guide to t'internet" :E ;)

BEagle
16th Jan 2006, 20:40
One understands that it is an internet and 'txtmsg' term used by digi-yoof. However, this is not used in the same way as digi-yoofs might mumble "Yeah", "innit" or "like" as an interjection in their incoherent, uneducated version of spoken English. Whilst the purpose of such yoof-speak interjections is to maintain the listener's attention whilst the speaker's dormant neurones search for an actual word to augment their estuarine utterances, digi-yoofs use 'txtmsg' acronyms such as 'lol' in written or, perhaps more likely, typed form in order to add a mood of expression to what passes for their attempts at prose.

One believes that it is supposed to mean "Laughing out loud".

In English, the yoof-speak phrase "...but its early feb thats all ill say lol!" probably translates as "...although it will be in early February and that is all I wish to say". Linguists might consider the yoof-speak 'lol' superfluous in this context, as the announcement of a specific calendar date, whilst reasonably giving cause for nervous concern, is unlikely to be a cause of mirth.

Like yeah, but no, but yeah it's so unfair. Innit. Like.

diginagain
16th Jan 2006, 20:48
It's not in JSP101 - yet.

VigilantPilot
16th Jan 2006, 20:49
roflmao@BEagle

;)

scottyhs
16th Jan 2006, 21:32
ahh the wonders of youth......wait a minute i am youth lol!!!! You see!

i will report back and i thank you all for your comments that you have placed and will continue to post.

Lafyar Cokov
16th Jan 2006, 21:35
I M @ the Nd v my tevr wiv vis bllx

rofpmsl

movadinkampa747
16th Jan 2006, 21:41
w%d ya kindly transl8

LAI
16th Jan 2006, 23:40
I went to OASC for 6th Form Schol. Selection last year, and am going again soon for Direct Entry.
I found that the magazine "The Week" is really great for current affairs. It summarises all of the interesting stories of the week from many newspapers around the world. www.theweek.co.uk
Good Luck!