PDA

View Full Version : The best way to hour build

edymonster
15th Jan 2006, 13:39
Hi everyone,
I have come across some where that pupils who hour build for the CPL should do it under an instructed manner. People who hour build after a PPL who do not do it in an instructed manner will deter some employers away. Is this true? The reason i ask this is because to hour build i want to go and tour europe with a mate and this obvisouly will be done by our selves. Is this a bad way to do hour building? Or would it be best to do a bit of both or entirely with a flying school with the supervison of instructors? Thanks for your help.

link4
15th Jan 2006, 14:25
Good question, im in the same boat, but im presuming we worked hard for our licence, we should be able to enjoy it! all work and no play.....

Besides i doubt that airlines will see how we flew during our hour building, the reason we have to do hour building is to gain personal experience and to develop our airmanship (for those going towards a career). The part that really matters is when you we do actually start our CPL flight training.

Maybe what people tried to say to you is that you may find it easier to get into the swing of CPL standard flying if u've practiced it before, if your just going to fly from one place to another with no consideratons for deviations, time keeping, logs etc, and then go to do the CPL flying, you'l have a bit of trouble switching over and maybe even having to practice such flying u may have previously even forgot!

Hope that helps :ok:

FlyingForFun
15th Jan 2006, 15:55
I doubt many employers would care.

It is true that hour building under the guidance of an instructor will ensure that you are properly prepared for your CPL. However, it is possible to prepare youself easily (just search these forums for posts asking how).

In fact, hour building yourself will give you a huge amount of experience in decision making, which is a vital skill. It could be argued that doing all your flying under guidance will mean that you are not properly prepared for the day when it really is up to you to make the decisions.

FFF
----------------

Megaton
15th Jan 2006, 16:25
Never been asked how I built hrs at any of the three (successful) interviews I've attended. It's just not relevant. They're more interested in what kind of person you are and what qualities you possess.

G-DANM
15th Jan 2006, 21:42
What airlines generally say they would like is quality hour building. Actually make sure you gain worthwhile experience by challenging yourself (plus its more fun). If you learnt at a small airfield try going to a controlled aerdrome and even flying into major airports like Bristol. If nothing else it gives you something to talk about at an interview if it does come up and you will be a better pilot because of it. All a school does is set out a plan to ensure you don't just burn holes in the sky and do challenge yourself. I'd go to Europe, it will get you much more experience and some interesting places in your Logbook.

WingDown
19th Jan 2006, 22:15
I think its important to do both, flying within a club environment is very helpful as well as the more adventurous trips. I am currently hour building and am lucky enough to work at the flying school that I fly from. I have a constant stream of advice from the instructors who not only set challenges but also give no end of advice or help when I may have some more ambitious plans! I know im lucky to work at my flying school but do your best to get to know the instructors and the regulars at your club. I am sure they will be only to happy to help especially if your planning a trip round Europe. Best of luck with it all.

WD

scroggs
21st Jan 2006, 10:48
While airlines (or other employers) may not ask how you went about your hour-building, I would suggest that quality hours which include a good deal of learning and practice of procedures will stand you in good stead later. If 'having fun' is your motivation, maybe you need to think about why you are flying in the first place? I would expect those who wish to be professional aviators to adopt a professional attitude to their flying education - and to get satisfaction and enjoyment from so doing.

I'm not saying don't do any fun flying - there should always be some rewards for your hard work - but don't forget that the hour building period is intended to be a learning process.

Scroggs