PDA

View Full Version : CX--> the facts of life

Studebaker978
15th Jan 2006, 08:50
Hi guys,

this is a question for european based freighter F/Os at CX

I am one of many guys aspiring a job just like yours. I have all the possible information you can imagine in order to pass the interview so so thats not the purpose of this tread.

One thing I havent been able to find is the actual working rythm and renumeration in hand.

I know the basic pay en europe in 42900GBP.

What I am interested in is how much the avearage salary of a freighter F/O is/month. After tax deduction and plus per diems/flight allowance etc....
I am assuming here that you do pay taxes in the country of residence and not in HKG

If possible I would like to know as well what kind of rosters you guys are flying. TAFB, block/month etc....

For some reason this must be the only info NOT available on PPRUNE and I wonder why?

Can anyone please help me ( and many others) out here.

Thanks a lot,

SB

nice-salad
15th Jan 2006, 20:02
I am desperate for the same info in Canada and Australia, anything would be just fantastic......
Thank you

sizematters
16th Jan 2006, 00:12
TAFB ??? what is TAFB ???.( why do people always assume everyone knows their codes??) Freighter F/O's working patterns would depend on wether you are on the -400 or the Classic....................Nice life on the -400, need to like working if your on the Classic..... If you can specify Base and type you might get some realistic answers...............

nice-salad
16th Jan 2006, 01:12
Type doesn't really matter, I am looking for information in Sydney Melbourne, or Vancouver bases. I have lots of information for Second Officers out of Hong Kong but nothing for Direct entry FO on the freighter routes out of these bases. Anything would be appreciated.

sizematters
16th Jan 2006, 02:22
sydney/Melbourne would be on the classic but the word is these bases are Full and have waiting lists..............you basically spend a lot of time in Hong Kong doing shanghai/Narita/Singapore/ type stuff work say 22 days a month and 8 off...........Roster changes are the norm

Don't think you can have a Vancouver base, but a lot of guys live there and commute to JFK/LAX/ORD etc etc.........then you operate through ANC to HKG and back then on to whatever US port. Basically you will work 12 days a month maybe 14 and get the rest at home....................Don't know what F/O's get in per diem but you get a handful of cash at each hotel and nowadays I think you get about $6 USD per "Credit" hour....usually fly about 64 average a month should be reasonably pessimistic...............don't know what else to tell you....but ask away

Rich Tea
16th Jan 2006, 03:20
Chaps,

Just a quicky, can you get a Hong Kong base on the Freighter as a DEFO?
Albeit that you may be on terms without housing etc?

Cheers

RT

SMOC
16th Jan 2006, 06:43
YES,
You are employed in say Frankfurt/wherever with the applicable pay and COS, but opt for a preferred base of Hong Kong and so are rostered to fly from there, and have days off there. However you get NO allowance($$$) in Hong Kong and you are only entitled to the Hotel for your arrival and departure days. If you go sick in the Hotel it's at your own expence, and you better have booked for the extra nights as well. Also as said you don't get Housing and of course you will still be paying HKG tax.

Rich Tea
16th Jan 2006, 08:51
SMOC - please check your PM's...

thanks

Medwin
16th Jan 2006, 10:30
TAFB====Time Away From Base

nice-salad
16th Jan 2006, 20:09
thanks for the info, also wondering if there is a medical package at all and the base rate for the sydney or melbourne bases. Would you know if there are any other incentives like salary sacrifice etc....
thank you

azdriver
2nd Feb 2006, 09:21
Hi all,

I'm too interested in those info regarding the European base salary and conditions; I would app if anyone could post something more detailed that the usual info or pm me.

Thx in advance
azdriver

sizematters
2nd Feb 2006, 09:27
pretty sure that you cannot get a Sydney or Melbourne base as they both have waiting lists, as for "salary sacrafice" I think maybe a chicken or goat is more usual, of course if you want to "Go the extra mile" by all means place what you want to sacrafice in an envelope and I'll give you the address to send it too..................................

tazz_11
20th Jun 2006, 19:47
Sizematters,

Please can you help with some schedule details for US bases. Also do you know if the US crews are CASS compliant for Jump Seating.

Thanks

mayday911
21st Jun 2006, 14:22
CASS is for US carriers only.

Mayday