PDA

View Full Version : 'Vortrack' on Irish charts?

Emerald flyer
14th Jan 2006, 17:23
Hi all,

I have a handheld VOR receiver and find it cumbersome to draw out the displayed radial on my chart with all the bouncing around (and thats only a calm day:) )
I've already done a search on the 'Vortrack' system and it seems to be (generally) held in high regard so I'm considering buying it.

Has anyone used them with the Irish half million VFR chart? I'm just curious to know whether or not those horrible, pokey little VOR roses on the Irish charts render the system unusable or difficult to use?
Any opinions about the system itself and/or its compatibility with Irish charts?

regards,

Emerald flyer.

AerocatS2A
16th Jan 2006, 07:38
Why are you drawing radials on a map while flying?

Emerald flyer
16th Jan 2006, 09:06
Hi Aerocat,

its to get a position fix from a crosscut with 2 VOR's (I have no DME). Hence my idea to buy the 'Vortrack' as this should eliminate having to draw out the radials by hand.

cheers,

E.M.

AerocatS2A
16th Jan 2006, 09:32
Understood. I haven't used a vortrack sorry. I take it that a handheld GPS is out of the question?

YYZ
16th Jan 2006, 15:27
Isn't the Irish chart the same as the Northern or do they have an additional one?
I have just looked at my Northern chart (inc Ireland) and the VOR roses look fine?

With the Vortrack system you get a stick on northern line to extend the one on your original rose and then it is easily visible whilst using the Vortrack.

I used the Vortrack (still do) during my CPL, found them easy, quick and invaluable! Anything to make the test better!

YYZ

High Wing Drifter
16th Jan 2006, 16:30
FWIW, I just freehand the lines with satisfactory results.

TolTol
16th Jan 2006, 16:58
HWD, did you freehand the diversion track?

BroomstickPilot
16th Jan 2006, 17:14
Emerald Flyer,

As a coincidence, just before spotting your thread here I wrote my own query on GNAV on the Private Flying forum. I suggest you may like to keep an eye on my thread in addition to your own.

Good luck,

Broomstick.

High Wing Drifter
17th Jan 2006, 07:51
TolTol,

Easy peasy. I use a chinagraph pencil. Simply draw a straight line. It might not be totally straight but it doesn't have to be, you're flying VFR. Then you simply line your pencil up on line you have drawn for the diversion, then transpose it to the nearest VOR rose to get the track. My thumb edge is ust about 10nm. I just count how many thumbs to get the distance. Then do your quick clock face technique drift/GS calcs and workout your ETA.

stue
17th Jan 2006, 08:20
High Wing Drifter,

That was the way that i learned too. It has always worked. Your lines dont have to be completely straight, just so you can get a good idea where you are and then cross check it with your map. Its quite simple to do, even while flying.

BroomstickPilot
17th Jan 2006, 08:38
I too was taught to do it the way High Wing Drifter describes, and I have got it badly wrong doing it that way more than once.

I reckon Vortrack should be much quicker, far more accurate and keep my head pointed down into the cockpit for less time.

I also like the idea that GNAV is supposed to be used in the cockpit one handed. Most pilot nav requires three hands and I've only grown two so far.

However, I'm also interested in the other GNAV items. What about the 'computer cards'? What about the GNAV plotter?

Broomstick

TolTol
17th Jan 2006, 11:18
Thanks HWD, thats the way I'm doing it, but I just wanted to know if anybody was using rulers/protractors.

YYZ
18th Jan 2006, 15:50
I also learnt the same way as HWD and others, however the Vortrack system is good to confirm that you are indeed where you think you are, freehand is good enough but the Vortrack system does, in my eyes, just gives you that bit of extra clarification we all sometimes need?

YYZ