PDA

View Full Version : ISO/Boot CDRoms

BOAC
14th Jan 2006, 08:38
I have downloaded 2 ISOs from Maxtor for Drive diagnostics. Both are for 'boot' CDRoms. If (can I?) I put both onto the same CDRom will the second just overwrite the first boot stuff (see how much I understand it:) ) and will I be able to go back to DOS to run the other prog after booting, or do I just bite the bullet and add another CDRom to my pile?

Saab Dastard
14th Jan 2006, 11:45
2 ISO boot images = 2 bootable CD-ROMs

BOAC
14th Jan 2006, 12:03
Happy with the theory, SD, just wondered if I could get both on one disk.

Mac the Knife
14th Jan 2006, 12:47
Do the forums still have a limit on how brief you can be in replies/posts?

Anyway mon cher BOAC, the answer is no.

An iso is a disk image - you can't have more than one disk image on one disk.

Tinstaafl
14th Jan 2006, 15:21
Got me thinking about this....

Using Linux it's sort of possible if the combined size of the two .iso files *plus* necessary additional Linux operating system software is all small enough to fit on the disk.

A hell of a lot of stuffing around booting from a small Linux distro then using loopback to access each .iso. Probably need to run a virtual Windows machine within Linux or interface translation software such as WINE if the software is Windoze based. Still might not work if the software must have direct access to the hardware.

On the whole a lot of stuffing around for questionable results so definitely a CD-ROM for each .iso is the way to go.

BOAC
14th Jan 2006, 15:28
Roger chaps! 2 CDRoms in their boxes!

Memetic
15th Jan 2006, 01:48
Tinstaafl, have you seen this : http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Looks close to what you are describing.

On a slightly related topic, have you seen www.puppylinux.com ? Fits on a samll (64MB)USB drive nicely, the version that runs from a CD-R and saves your files back to it on shut down is neat too.

Memetic.