PDA

View Full Version : webcam advice

windy1
13th Jan 2006, 21:19
Need decent webcam for full screen video chat with family overseas.
Very wide variation in price and specs, so is it worth paying more for ccd rather than a cmos sensor, what resolution, what upload download speeds needed for decent frame rate, what about separate mic so more than one person can speak, does face tracking sw work, is it even needed.
.. and assuming a decent webcam, will my system power it properly ( 4 yr old 1GHz Celeron, integrated graphics and sound, NTL 1Mb/s)
Part of the problem here is putting "best webcam" into google - just see what you get! ;)

Conan the Librarian
13th Jan 2006, 21:38
Your system is old and your broadband isn't that fast, so I don't think you will gain anything by not going for the cheap end of the webcam market and for ten quid or so, they are both surprisingly good and capable.

What I would suggest however, is a headset rather than mic (built in or freestanding) and speakers. That way, you will bypass any potential problems from feedback between those items and the feeling that you are at a 1970s gig by the Who.

Conan

Gouabafla
14th Jan 2006, 14:00
I agree with Conan 100%. Get a headset (avoid the temptation to spend fifty quid on one) and a cheapish Webcam.

Onan the Clumsy
14th Jan 2006, 18:45
I just got one from a yard sale for a dollar :}

+----+
| :8 |
+----+