PDA

View Full Version : Long haul travel for kids

Hairyplane
13th Jan 2006, 20:32
Hi all,

I am a frequent poster on Rotorheads and Private Flying - I am a PPL and PPLH.

Some help please from you professional pilots out there.

Planning to take my partner and her 2 kids 8 & 10 yrs to Mauritius during the February half term week.

Their father now refuses to let them go ( after first agreeing it and letting us book hotel and flights - we tell the kids, they are understandably over the moon about it). He says that they need jabs ( nothing mandatory or even recommended on the official websites - no malaria there) and also that a long haul destination for just a week is bad for them.

Tell me, are there any statistics on the numbers/ percentages of kids who go on long haul during that week? I bet Disney for example is packed.

How else can we get to somewhere warm in February without flying longhaul?

Any pointers will be gratefully received - first to get me the facts qualifies for a go in one of my vintage planes.

Hairyplane

Memetic
13th Jan 2006, 21:15
You may find what you need here:
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nscl.asp?ID=7978 National statistics for duration of holidays. If you look at the travle trends reports they break out stays by duration, you'll need to get into detail of the the dataset for countries outside the top 10.

foxmoth
13th Jan 2006, 21:23
I have taken my kids on quite a few LH trips (with work) - and as you do not get a trip that is longer, most have been a week. Cannot say that I have seen much problem with it. Not sure of the stats but we certainly take lots of Kids LH at Half term, some of who are out of school for a 2 week holiday, but also many just for the week, you also see Americans a long way from home and they get so little holiday that is often only for a week.
As far as hot shorthaul goes in February, you still need to go for the longer SH flights, Canaries can be OK but for more reliable heat I would probably aim for Egypt - Hurgada or Sharm el Sheik, but that time can still get some cool days (As can Florida!).
(What vintage machines do you have? - one of my own interests, just not lucky enough to own any).

RatherBeFlying
13th Jan 2006, 21:28
Me and my sis at about the same ages flew LAX-HNL on a Stratocruiser taking some 10-12 hours. Didn't seem to bother us and we were raring to go for more.

RealFish
13th Jan 2006, 22:43
Got back from MRU just before Xmas - loads of kids out and back both in steerage and WTP on BA 123 /122. Noisy young ones aswell, learning all about the aerodynamics of a bun in a box and how far a slice of ham would fly in the WTP cabin. (reminded me of what Billy Connolly once said about kids...., 'B*stards').
Plenty of kids out there as well, and no need whatsoever for jabs. Plenty of very child friendly hotels. Your wife's ex has an agenda methinks.

Zurg
14th Jan 2006, 00:32
My kids 6 and 8 have just been to Japan for a little over a week, 12 hour flights and 9 hour time zone change - they had a fabulous time. As said above, a different agenda is in play methinks.
Best of luck.

DD777
14th Jan 2006, 06:28
Hairy Plane,

I have a son of 9 who is mad about aeroplanes just like his dad. I have taken him on a number of long-haul trips with me. The last was from Jo'burg to Dakar and then on to NYC and then did the whole thing again on the way back. This was just in 7 days. He was absolutely fine the whole way and there were no after effects except lots of excitement and stories. Mauritius is really great for Kids. They can have a ball and learn a lot at the same time. There is an extinct volcano and most of the hotels have very interesting tours along the beach teaching them about the marine-life on the sea shore. (the other marine-life for Dad's and step-dads etc. is also really unique and very easy on the eye!:ok: )

Try the angle that they will be learning a lot and having a really good time at the same time.

Good luck, it sounds like the other guy is a real prat!

Hairyplane
14th Jan 2006, 07:10
Thanks all, very useful indeed. An unfortunate setback that can hopefully be resolved without lining the pockets of the lawyers.

Foxmoth - I have a Miles Magister, Miles Falcon and Ryan PT22. If old planes float your boat enough to want a go in one of mine we can sort that in the display season. You'll need to get to Old Warden on a display day. PM me if you want to arrange.

Thanks again.

Hairyplane

TG345
14th Jan 2006, 08:05
The Canaries should be quite nice in February as a short(ish) haul option.

Wycombe
14th Jan 2006, 08:06
My experience would be get your kids used to it when they are young and it will be no problem - for you, them, or the other pax on the flight.

I have twin daughters of 6, who have been to St Lucia, Cancun and will be off to Orlando with us next month - keep them occupied (easy with all the PTV's, kids packs handed out, food etc) and let them decide when they want to sleep (but definately make sure a few of their "comfort" toys are available when they do, or there could be problems!).

groundbum
14th Jan 2006, 08:42
My kids have all done Manchester-new york (6 hours) unaccompanied when they were 8, they all lap it up, getting attention etc. They were unaccompanied though, and knew the worlds number 1 aunt was waiting at the other end. My son was most proud that he stayed up the whole flight and saw 4 movies. I dunno how he managed that?

We all just got back though from Israel where we ended up on 3 flights, MAN/Rome/Tel Aviv then a bus for 5 hours to Eilat. Oh my g*d. Never again. It was the waiting around that was the worst at the airports, and constant transit security checks again. I probably glow by now!

So a long flight, with no more than 1 stop, should be fine. Kids lap up anything different and out of the routine, and flying is still glamorous to them. Unless you do 3 flights to Israel... I'm still checking for glass in my coffee now a week later! 8-)

S

striparella
14th Jan 2006, 11:45
I'm not a professional pilot, but i've done crew and ground staff, and i'm telling you now PLENTY of people take kids long haul for a week.

I've seen the queues and dealt with the sick.

apaddyinuk
14th Jan 2006, 19:00
MRU is a long trip to make longhaul, longer than say LGW-MCO, however, as the time change is not very much it tends not to affect you so badly. I also find in my experience that Kids relish longhaul flights, as long as you bring a few distractions for them they can usually enjoy themselves more so than adults and the effects dont last long at all!!! Sorry for making it sound like your Partners Ex is just a trouble maker!

foxmoth
14th Jan 2006, 19:23
as long as you bring a few distractions for them they can usually enjoy themselves
I would second this - flying is one of the few occasions I really spoil the kids - sweets, lots of books/videos/computer games etc. I am not a believer in spoiling them normally but am quite happy for them to associate flying with being spoilt!:ok:

TSR2
14th Jan 2006, 21:00
I am a firm believer that travel for children is a valuable part of their education for 'life' and that longhaul is seen by them as a great adventure.

If I may say, your partners ex objections appear to be a little on the weak side.

7gcbc
14th Jan 2006, 21:23
Agreed, you have to have lots of distractions, becuase boredom will be a killer not only for you but for all those around you. (lots of fluids for them also, as the air con dries out their nasal/throats etc )

Took two baby monsters (aged 1/12 and 3) from SYD to SNG, LHR , DUB,(two weeks in Ireland) then Rome(FUI) HKG and then SYD last April.

Lots of activity, plenty of distractions is they way to go, It was stressful as there were a few tantrums, the highlight of which was our 3 year old dismantled the queue system at SYD Immigration(the eqiuv of Police control I guess), which left a 100 or so nervous looking asian passengers looking perplexed as to where to queue (I know not funny at the time , but looking back was quite hillarious)

Quarantine saw us coming a mile away and just waved us through! see there are advantages of having two lively little monsters.........who then chose a mid-pacific timezone to settle their little body clocks for the subsequent week and a half.......

Hairyplane
15th Jan 2006, 08:27
Thanks all,

It was easy for me to conclude that the kids father was just being a jealous, selfish @rse , hence my decision to seek a balanced viewpoint from you professionals, so thanks for that.

He still insists that they need jabs and refuses permission for them. Where he got that from is beyond me.

I have booked a suite at the Shandrani. We have been there before - full of kids naturally having a great time.

Lets hope we can get it sorted.

HP

foxmoth
16th Jan 2006, 18:04
19:00 Monday BBC1 has a bit about taking kids LH -nb. your PM box is full!

Momo
18th Jan 2006, 09:11
I took my kids (and wife) to the Shandrani last Feb. Great place, as you say. They were 10 and 11 at the time. Stayed in one of those "family apartments" on the top floor of one of the buildings.

The girls had limited jet lag, as there is only 3 hrs time difference from here. Non-stop from GVA with Air Mauritius. No jabs required.

A compromise might be to agree to give whatever jabs the father can show are recommended.

Snorkeling in the coral-lined bay, plus water skiing were the highlights for the kids. February weather can be wet, but warm, as you are in cyclone season.

Momo