PDA

View Full Version : First Black, Female, Copper, Chopper Pilot ...

Gunship
13th Jan 2006, 04:50
Well done young lady :ok:
The sky is no limit for Refilwe Ledwaba, 26, who has become the first black female helicopter pilot in the South African Police Service. There were smiles and kudos all round on Wednesday when Ledwaba, who comes from Tzaneen in Limpopo, was congratulated by the SAPS at a function in Pretoria.
Top brass hailed Ledwaba's achievement as a "success story and another sign that the police service belongs to all South Africans". Divisional Commissioner of Operational Response Services Arno Lamoer encouraged black women to follow in Ledwaba's footsteps, adding that he was proud of the transformation that had taken place within the SAPS.
The new helicopter pilot, a University of Cape Town BSc graduate, said she had become interested in flying "just to explore" the idea of being in the sky.
Having met the pilot training entry requirements with her maths and science achievements, she joined a programme offered by the SAPS in 2004.
Her ability to handle heights was tested. She underwent a psychometric test to check whether she was mentally fit to become a pilot.
Ledwaba trained at 43 Air School in Port Alfred where she started her career as a pilot. She later went for further training at Starlight Aviation before returning to the SAPS. She has completed 30 hours of flying for the SAPS and is enjoying herself.
"At first it was just one of those things that come into one's mind. It later grew in me that I could make it as pilot and my love of flying kept me going. Now, I just love it.
"I'm not able to talk about any challenges or difficulties on my way to becoming a pilot because it has been like playing any other fun game. My love for what I'm doing has helped me to do it. I'm glad that others may follow this career because I have shown them that it is possible to make it," said Ledwaba.
Ful report HERE (http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20060112061907938C190160)

organ donor
13th Jan 2006, 13:23
Met her in Durban, lovely girl. Well done.

Romeo E.T.
13th Jan 2006, 15:22
Was a cabin attendant for BA/Comair/Kulula.com for about 2-3 years, remember her as a very lively, bublly personality and would like to congratulate her on this achievement. If you set your heart towards something then it CAN be achieved. She deserves it!!!!

B Sousa
13th Jan 2006, 15:28
Based on all comments here, Im betting she has been under more scrutiny than ANY of the other Pilots. She made the grade, good for her.....
Hope she hangs in there ......

ANVAK
14th Jan 2006, 05:39
She had a jumpseat with us a while ago and was very excited about joining the SAPS air wing. She obviously worked hard for this, and with reference to the posts on the R22 down in KZN - it still holds true that a keen individual who wants it badly enough will come through with flying colours, despite any obstacles in the way. Lets trust that she'll be afforded time to build solid experience and not be expected to perform at 6000hr levels immediately.:ok:

I.R.PIRATE
14th Jan 2006, 08:16
So when the fuel is finished, what do we do?" ReFILwe

Just kidding, well done there!!

Out of interest, I was having luch at JIA the other day, and the waitress ended up bumping our whole drinks order off the table. She looked extremely embarassed, and I wanted to make her feel better, by using her name. However, I cuold not help her, because I couldnt stop laughing. Yes you guessed it.......Refilwe

Tzar
14th Jan 2006, 09:58
What, a Female flying in SA without the help of her father. Whatever next!!!

Sorry folks, could not resist. Well done to this lady.

Be well all

Tzar

Spetsnaz
14th Jan 2006, 10:36
Well done Refilwe :D ! A high-flyer this one, and top of her ground school - despite their shortened programme and ad-hoc accommodation.

MysticFlyer
21st Jan 2006, 20:36
So is she SA, meaning Southern African, or South African?

SAPS?

Gunship
21st Jan 2006, 20:42
So is she SA, meaning Southern African, or South African?
SAPS?

Tzaneen in the Limpopo Province is in South Africa Misty :E

MysticFlyer
21st Jan 2006, 20:54
O ja, now how could I have been soooooo stupid!? Of course it is...

MysticFlyer
22nd Jan 2006, 20:17
Like some lucky Dude in exile in Swaziland, or was it Lesotho? That's also in Southern Africa. Wondered what he did to be in exile there....

Who else has been diasdvantaged in the neighbouring Southern Africa? CAA, any there? Vicky B got very advantaged here, or not....?

Ned-Air2Air
23rd Jan 2006, 00:08
Hey Guns isnt the Limpopo some sort of little creek somewhere :E :E

spice
23rd Jan 2006, 10:53
You go girl! Well done. :)

Gunship
26th Jan 2006, 12:14
Hey Guns isnt the Limpopo some sort of little creek somewhere :E :E

15 Zimbabweans (illegal "immigrants" ) drowned in that little creak last week :eek: ...

I have seen it on a bad day mate - it can be one of the most vicious in Africa (yeah believe it or not Ripley) ;)

MysticFlyer
26th Jan 2006, 12:43
That's if you get to dodge the "plathonde" aka crocodiles, or did they get themselves eaten?:}

flightmedic1
12th Feb 2006, 18:20
I also met Refilwe while I was training at Starlite in Durban. And I agree that she is a very nice person, and a great pilot.

Well done Refilwe.

Jlo
13th Feb 2006, 06:50
hey Refilwe!

Always knew you would do it! And not only are you a great pilot, but you have a fantastic personality...

Well done is all i can say. How's Jack and Lanky and the rest?