PDA

View Full Version : "History" Folder Gone Mad (Corrupt???)

BLUE SKY THINKER
12th Jan 2006, 20:44
For the first time in my life have just had to completely reformat/reload Windows XP Pro (don't ask!). ...Everything working perfectly, except. . . . .

C\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\History.

In normal circumstances this folder would continue_ C\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\History\History\Today\(website links).

Mine shows_ C\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\History\Today\My Computer\(corrupt website links).

Internet Explorer works OK, apart from the links in the left-hand History pane that come up in a non standard format. ...When you put the cursor over them they are all prefixed by my username@hhp//etc., which is why they don't work. ...I can clear the history as per normal and address bar works OK; autocomplete on or off.

The answer seems obvious, but none of the myriad of choices work. ...I can't delete (due system file), but can, approaching it from another Administrator account; only for it to reappear on returning to affected account. ...Can't rename or move it, but oddly if I copy and paste within Local Settings the copy mysteriously changes into the correct format (prior to addition of links), i.e, History\History\index.dat file + MSHist012006011220060113 folder\index.dat (???).

This is driving me bonkers..................................................... ..........HELP! (thanks).

rugmuncher
13th Jan 2006, 00:50
Download and run CCleaner,,,
do the clean and scan for issues, should resolve any snags you have!

BLUE SKY THINKER
13th Jan 2006, 13:15
rugmuncher . . . . .

Ta for suggestion, but no luck. ...It was one of the "myriad of choices" mentioned previously that I tried (just didn't supply a long list); plus reg. cleaners, the lot.

???