PDA

View Full Version : JAA flight training California

Tholin
23rd Sep 2001, 01:17
Hi

Does anyone know or have som experience when it comes to flight schools in the San Diego area ??

I have been looking at some schools and I would also like to hear something from someone who isn´t working at the schools.

pilotwolf
23rd Sep 2001, 05:00
Rotary or fixed wing?

Tholin
23rd Sep 2001, 14:52
Fixed wing... sorry

pilotwolf
23rd Sep 2001, 16:18
Sorry can't recommend any then as I m a rotary man, but if you email me then I ll give you a few names from the pilots guide.
[email protected]

SchoonerBoy
23rd Sep 2001, 21:07
Hej Tholin,

I thought UK Flight Training at Long Beach California, near to LA, was well worth it. Check out their web site at www.ukft.com (http://www.ukft.com)

If you want more information, tell me your email address.

jmacrae
24th Sep 2001, 00:49
Barry White please email me

pilotwolf
24th Sep 2001, 05:09
Hi again. As I said can't comment on specific fixed wing schools but I can highly recommend Long Beach as a training base. 95% of my flight time has been from there. It is a large and relatively busy airport but the tower staff are well used to dealing with students from all over the world and are generally very patient. You will get good experience of flying in and around some of the busiest airspace in the world - makes everywhere else seem easy afterwards. Also the general area is relatively safe and inexpensive, San Diego is more upmarket and the accomadation and living expense increase accordingly. If you do choose LGB I can recommend accomadation, subject to his acceptaance, for around $100 a week for own room with ensuite facilites and full use of his home. Email me for details.

Flyerphil
24th Sep 2001, 13:50
Only two spring to mind but neither are JAA/CAA approved at the moment (but they are both in or around San Diego)

Skyline Flight Academy www.skyline-flight-academy.com (http://www.skyline-flight-academy.com)

Scandinavian Flight Academy www.scanavia.com (http://www.scanavia.com)
This one is approved by SAS for JAR-FCL ATP-integrated flight training (not much use to us but it may mean that they are ripe for CAA approval)

For a full list of JAA/CAA approved schools go to:-
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf

SKYYACHT
26th Sep 2001, 19:53
Try Rainbow Air Academy Inc., - Speak to David Parsons, English chap who runs school. Good facilities, Good Aeroplanes, and good instructors. Recommned them I have used them many times. address is 2825 E. Spring Street, Long Beach Ca. 90806. Try em on www.RainbowAir.com (http://www.RainbowAir.com)
Tel (562) 424-0119 Good luck

Tailwinds

bearfacedcheek
27th Sep 2001, 01:41
Try Mazzei flying service in Fresno California

I did and was impressed

they are situated in the valley area ,which can suffer from fog but generally is good for vfr stuff

they have a healthy fleet of pipers cessnas twins and singles

they have their own hangars and maintenance

they have professional study cubicles videos tape audio visual training

they are approved by the faa 121

thay do helis too

Fresno is about half way between san fran and LA

Jim Brannan is the owner and is easy to get along with

they used to supply accomadation and a bike for transport

well good luck

Im on my second commercial job 737s now

I am lucky ,but the training helped enormously

best wishes and good luck the industry will pick up again

BFC

QUERY
28th Sep 2001, 02:52
Never been to California but a promoter's game is the same anywhere.
Whether or not UKFT is rubbish, AMS is selling his/her place, with the just e-mail me trick. Is the moderator dead or implicated?

hamd
19th Nov 2005, 18:15
I am an asian and preparing to move to states for my flight training...
can anyone advise about the best schools in Florida or California for CPL ??

v2-Rotate
12th Jan 2006, 19:33
Can anyone share any experiences/comments/recommendations about JAA flight schools in San D/LA.

Im looking to get my JAA PPL + 100 hrs or so. All in about 10 weeks or so.

Thanks

V2

v2-Rotate
12th Jan 2006, 21:18
Has anyone heard anything about or been to UKFT out in Long Beach?

V2

smith
12th Jan 2006, 21:28
Been to UKFT before but I don't think they do JAA stuff anymore its all FAA and conversions in the UK.

Keygrip
12th Jan 2006, 21:30
You've already asked this question.

Do you intend doing ANY research of your own or just hammering away at Pprune asking people to make the decision for you?

If you would start just a tad of research you'll find that UKFT are not a JAA approved school.

v2-Rotate
12th Jan 2006, 21:49
I think u will find this is research. asking people for opinions or recommendations is not asking for people to make decisions for me it is known as making an informed decision based on the infomation available to you.

At no time have i asked for a decision to be made for me nor do i want that. I have already carried out months of research but peoples honest opinions isnt something you can get from the schools websites.

I think a little less sarcasm may be a little more helpful in the future.

:ok:

<<edit: "asking people for opinions or recommendations" is quite a good idea - but why twice in just 1hr 45minutes?

If you think that I was being sarcastic and unhelpful in THAT, I have a button here that would make your "research" much harder.

As Scroggs has come on (later) and also advised the use of the search facility, I can only assume that (all) your comments are also directed at him.>>

Abeam MCT
18th Jan 2006, 20:07
My detailed response was edited to show just the first and last lines.
Just so you know that you should call flight schools yourselves and make your own decisions rather than relying on a forum, which may edit certain replies.
Best of luck, Abeam MCT

iceman1980
22nd Jan 2006, 19:32
if you want i can put you in contact with them as they are always open to new students! I can say that they are very professional and you would enjoy the atmosphere here! And also they are the only school in america who are glass cockpit certified

Let me know and i could sort something out for ya!!

iceman1980
22nd Jan 2006, 19:58
thanks! just off up to the school now as i am prepping for some night flying then tomoz im planning big bear and catalina island trip as part of pic! then doing IFR after 40 hrs PIC!

Its all good fun!

Did you ever go to BJ's on second street!!

Muddy Boots
24th Jan 2006, 21:07
Can I ask what school you guys are talking about in Long Beach? Is it Rainbow?

Muddy Boots

iceman1980
25th Jan 2006, 04:22
No its not! Why do you ask??? :confused: Is rainbow a good flying school?? Are you there yourself, if so what is it like? It's always good to know if there are real good flying schools about!

hixton
25th Jan 2006, 15:42
So tell everyone what school it is your at

Muddy Boots
25th Jan 2006, 21:19
I'm a Brit and live here in LA and have been contemplating doing an intergarated course in the UK at one of the 3 obvious schools. In my pondering I checked out who does the JAA sylabus locally and Rainbow Air at Long Beach airport seem to be a contneder only up to PPL but in the same building is UK Flight Training who do a JAA f(ATPL) in connection with Tayflite using Bristol Ground school.

I haven't flown with them but they seem cheap and the instruction looked quite good although the aircraft are a tad on the old side.

Anyway I just wondered if that was the school you were refering to.

iceman1980
26th Jan 2006, 18:30
the school i am attending no longer are doing the course as i peviously explained and are just doing a straight forward f(atpl) course so sorry to all for the misunderstanding , but yes i have heard that rainbow are a good school too!! :)

RoyHudd
27th Feb 2006, 01:58
Started aged 41. FAA CPL/IR multi in 4 months, down in Fresno....springboard to CAA (UK), and JAR licences, Aged 44, first job on Shorts 330, soon onto the F-27 for 2 years, then A320/321, now on A330 aged 49.

My thanks to Jim Brannan, Laurie, Nacho, Dan,(esp. Dan), and others who helped along the way. Wide-body command up-coming, 10 yrs after starting flying training. Mazzei were good, still are.

Lightheart
28th Feb 2006, 00:06
Try Angel City flyers, Long Beach.

I did FAA PPL, CPL/ME and IR in 4 months with them and to budget. They use the airplanes of Rainbow Air next door but their own instuctors and the boss, Seosamh knows his stuff. Also have a brand new glass cockpit sim.

llesson
28th Feb 2006, 08:17
I used Air Desert Pacific in California, thought they were very good and extremely cheap. Only did a FAA PPL with them but delighted with their service.

ram33
1st Mar 2006, 13:26
Try Anglo American Aviation they are in SD, speak to Chris Watson.

TheSwede
7th Apr 2006, 21:12
I must follow my dream! + 30 y/o and currently CabinCrew with some (but limited funds). Planning on going stateside for PPL-CPL M/E IR but where should I go? Have focused on Florida, California, Arizona or Nevada. Cost of training/living? Best flying weather? I would like a school that can offer me a J-1 visa and as many M/E hours as possible. After training, and possible some unpaid work, I am heading down South America (I speak Spanish) or Caribbean in search for my future job. I am prepared to pay for typerating if need be. When/if returning to Europe I am not planning to continue flying as a Pro but only for fun.

Some advice please!

Florida? School?
California? School?
Nevada? School?
Arizona? School?

<<edit: Some advice please!
Ask the correct questions!! Do you want JAA (Sweden) or FAA?>>

Coneja
7th Apr 2006, 21:49
It's got to be Florida for your PPL and then you decide if it's Florida or california for your CPL/ME but my opinion for what it's worth is to do your training in Florida because it's easier there and the weather is more reliable which will reduce overall costs. Then get your experience in California and the adjoining states.

You say that you have limited funds but are happy to blow it on CPL/ME which seems to be a bit of a waste to say the least if you only intend to be a fun flyer.

Buena suerte!

zaf
7th Apr 2006, 22:22
Hi
I would recomend Voyageraviation based in Merrit Island Florida KCOI. I did all my ratings and top notch traning hassel free and the owner Gary Evans is a superb instructor from England. Very friendly atmosphere and instructors. They are cheap when you compare to other schools in Florida. 3 C152 2 C172 3 Piper Warrior 1 Piper Arrow and 1 Grumman Cougar for multi training. Other than that they have online reservation so you can choose your time and airplane to fly. Their web site www.voyageraviation.com. They have students all over the world. Hope this helps...

TheSwede
9th Apr 2006, 19:33
Thank you for the tip. It looks nice but does not support a J1 visa.

Any ideas about the west coast? Or others in Florida?

(Limited funds is about £100K but I would like to have funds for typerating and all costs of living for a few years as well.)

no sponsor
10th Apr 2006, 10:44
Limited funds at £100K!!

:hmm:

Duchess_Driver
10th Apr 2006, 16:16
Hi TS.

Try CFA at Gilespie in San Diego, www.flycfa.com - can issue M1, so probably able to assist with the issue of J's as well. 152's, 172's BE76 and PA34's. Great learning environment and good social side of things too. Weather is almost 100%.

DoubleDee

G-SCOT
23rd Apr 2006, 20:53
Hi there, I'm currently finishing off my PPL in Britain and I'm considering whether or not to finish off my training in America. It has taken me two years to complete my PPL.

I've researched some schools and I've come across UK flight training. Can anyone can tell me if they are good or not. I'm looking at doing the Professional Pilots Course with 1500 hours. The Course gives me both JAA and FAA licences.

If anyone can give any info or any feedback from the school that would be most helpful.

Many Thanks

potkettleblack
24th Apr 2006, 08:06
The search button is your friend. Lots and lots said about UKFT over the years in both this forum and private flying. Check out the CAA website for a list of approved FTO's and I am pretty sure that you will find that UKFT is not one. This in itself isn't so much of a problem as they might be linking up with another approved school either in the US or back in blighty for the JAA training side of things.

expedite08
24th Apr 2006, 17:20
Hi all,

Just a quick one to see if anyone has done any courses or hour building with UKFT at Long Beach, california, or Lancaster.

Anyones experiences of the place would be greatly appreciated, good or bad.

Many thanks

Expedite :ok:

DANNY M
25th Apr 2006, 08:20
I spoke to the guys from the CAA at the Flyer exibition about UKFT and Rainbow Air... they both offer the 1500 hr course and say that thay are an approved CAA FTO which THEY ARE NOT! The guys said that the licence would not be valid in the UK and the 1500hrs would not count as you will not have done a UK MEIR.

Proceed with caution!

scroggs
25th Apr 2006, 10:47
Search may help. Please do use this facility; it does save repetition.

Scroggs

Julian
25th Apr 2006, 15:10
The guys said that the licence would not be valid in the UK and the 1500hrs would not count as you will not have done a UK MEIR.

An FAA licence is valid in the UK if you are flying an N. I also remeber seeing someone on here saying they had written to the CAA and they had stated that if he held an FAA ME he was entitled to fly a G Reg multi in the UK.

Having said that how can the CAA state that multi hours built abroad do not count towards TT?

Interestingly if you look at the extract below taken from the Rainbow website

The course will include:
The following FAA certificates and ratings: PPL-A; IR-A; CPL-SE/ME; CFI; CFII; MEI; 135 LOA (at 1200 hrs); ATPL.
The following JAA certificates and ratings: PPL-A; Cessna Citation Rating; ATPL

You do not progress beyond a JAA-A PPL however you will also leave with a JAA Cessna Citiation Rating. :confused:

Can anyone elaborate how this can be achieved as I would have thought that a JAA ME would be a pre-requisite of the Type rating? Maybe someone who is on the course at the moment?

Julian

potkettleblack
25th Apr 2006, 15:37
You do not progress beyond a JAA-A PPL however you will also leave with a JAA Cessna Citiation Rating.

Can anyone elaborate how this can be achieved as I would have thought that a JAA ME would be a pre-requisite of the Type rating? Maybe someone who is on the course at the moment?

Erm. None of it makes sense to me so perhaps we are missing something. From my limited knowledge to hold a JAA type rating there is the small matter of a JAA IR and MCC. The JAA IR skill test HAS to be completed back in the UK if you wish to have the CAA issue your licences/ratings.

G-SCOT
25th Apr 2006, 15:57
The only way I can see it working is that you have to convert the FAA IR on return to the UK, also on the course you have the option of taking a type rating costing £10,000 and the ATPL skills test???? Perhaps that's the JAA IR but that is not included in the total price.

Thanks for the advice thought and I think I'll be staying away from this. It doesn't feel right. I might go for NAC perhaps and they are CAA approved.

smith
25th Apr 2006, 18:27
Are NAC JAA approved now? I know they lost their approval recently when the CFI walked out. Haven't heard if they have regained their approval or got a new JAA approved CFI.

Keygrip
25th Apr 2006, 18:36
No - NAC are not currently approved (for JAA flight training).

People are working on getting them re-approved. I, myself, have found two potential CFI's - one was declined by the CAA as unacceptable, the other changed their mind about going there.

The hunt continues.

tinmouse
7th Jun 2006, 15:32
Hi All,

If anyone has done their Night Rating/Hour Building in California Please let me know!!
First I’m told that you don't need a JAA school, then I’m told you do?
Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
Tinmouse

Sensible
7th Jun 2006, 17:13
No, you don't need a JAA school for hourbuilding, I guess if you want to bolt a night rating onto a JAA licence, you would need a JAA school to bolt it on for you. and then there is the visa thing! For pure cheap hourbuilding, you could do a lot worse than Universal at ElMonte. Beautiful part of the USA for hourbuilding though!

Best79
7th Jun 2006, 21:03
Hello tinmouse

I did my night rating in San Diego along with a multi PPL, the school is a JAA approved one and it only took the minimum hours to get it. You do however seem to need a controlled airfield for doing your solo night landings and it's nice to know that there is someone keeping an eye on you!:) As for the hour building did that at the same school and had some interesting experiences! but it was reasonable!

Hollister
17th Aug 2006, 13:46
Im looking for a flight school in the US that delivers JAA CPL.. Found a few in Florida, OFT, EFT and NAC..
But I prefer training on the west coast because of the ****ty weather in FL..
Anyone? Any recommendations/experiences with those schools?
Thanks..

HELOFAN
17th Aug 2006, 16:56
Wow how much training can 100k GBP really go eh !!??

no really what can you get for that ?

Fixed or rotor?

:ooh:

HF

smala01
17th Aug 2006, 17:50
I went there a couple of years ago..

Nice layed back setup with respectable owners and very cost effective. Also San diego is a great base for a few months.

drgs83
21st Aug 2006, 20:35
Hi, I have just graduated from uni and have had my PPL for 6 yrs. I wanted to become a professional pilot and am looking at flight schools in California. Does anyone have any experience with these schools or some helpful pearls of wisdom for me? All information very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Diana

SD.
23rd Aug 2006, 01:21
I'm an instructor for one of the schools you mentioned Diana so I don't think I should post specifically about it. I can comment on San Diego and flying around the SW.

The flying is great with plenty of places within reach of SD, there's LA, Vegas, Phoenix, San Fran is only 4 or so hours away. If you like to fly around nice scenery then California is a much better place to fly than Florida. The major problem you'll find is that there are no JAA CPL schools local. The only schools that do the CPL are over in Florida so that could be an issue.

:ok:

<<edit: It's somehwat off topic but I've often wondered WHY there is nothing West of the Florida Gulf coastline to do JAA CPL training. There IS Oxford at Phoenix, Arizona - but they are not dedicated to the usual modular market.>>

cavok_italy
12th Feb 2007, 20:44
Good morning guys. I've my PPL JAR and I'd like to get my CPL and ME in California (FAA). Can anybody suggest me a good school in southern California, possibly close to the beach, where I can get both?
Thanks a lot

Check 6
14th Feb 2007, 15:29
Cavok Italia, here is a LINK (http://www.aopa.org/learntofly/school/schoolresults.cfm) to flight schools in California.

I no longer live in California so I don't have a recommendation.

Buona fortuna.

B2N2
15th Feb 2007, 11:53
Why California specifically?

cavok_italy
18th Feb 2007, 07:58
Thank you guys,
B2N2 I'm going with my pregnant wife and CA is much better than FL in that time. I expect CA not so hot, so she can enjoy.
Mazzei is in Fresno, I'd like something in LA area.
Thanks anyway

JB LFPN FLYER
18th Feb 2007, 08:39
Well I did few years ago my training at Mazzei and I can tell that if you are looking for something not so hot ... forget it ;) but regarding the training it's really very good .

Regards JB

Chilli Monster
18th Feb 2007, 09:38
Myself, and a few others here, have been to http://www.angelcityflyers.com - can't recommend Seosamh and his staff highly enough - and you're close to the sea too :)

johnathannorton
10th Aug 2008, 01:20
I'm lookingh to get my JAA HPPL licence and thinking of California area, do you have any recommendations for flying schools please?

Thanks
Johnathan

Xorthis
10th Aug 2008, 16:00
For everyone asking about flight schools approved by the CAA to provide JAA-PPL(A) in southern California there is only one currently. It's called Anglo-American Aviation and they operate out of Gillespie Field in El Cajon, San Diego. A quick google search will yeild their info. I have obtained this information from the CAA http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Approved%20Training%20Organisations%20Doc%2031.pdf, so if there's any other FTO in the US which claims to offer CAA Approved JAA instruction don't even consider them as you may not end up with hours you can use for certification.

I'm currently enrolled to start at AAA in about three weeks to complete my JAA-PPL+Night rating and get some hours if time allows. (England = too expensive and so far for me over 70% of my lessons have been cancelled due to weather). I'll no doubt be on here at some point during my training to post opinions on the school. So far they've been helpful and friendly and it's ran by expats which I'm sure can be an advantage :)

Also if anyone would like some info on the Visa or TSA process and they can't find it on here, drop me a PM and I'll try to help. The Visa and TSA cost me about £350+a trip to London, that's almost 4 hours flying in the US! :suspect:.

Dreamshiner
10th Aug 2008, 16:35
I'd definetly echo Chilli-Monster's words.

Faultless, professional, and they really care.

If you are going for a PPL only then you get a FAA one (trained to JAA standards) then use the ICAO priviledges of it when you return to the UK.

If you are going for a zero to hero, then you do the FAA CPL/ME/IR and then go back to the UK to convert which you have to do anyway unless you go to Florida (not sure if you can get an IR in Florida though).

You also have less of a hours requirement with the JAA/CAA to attain a licence when holding a FAA one. Therefore, easy on the pocket and £1 = $2 you can't beat it and no landing fees.

Only thing you will have to put up with is some snooty individuals looking down their nose at you with respect to doing your training stateside, to them I'd answer "a 172 stalls at the same airspeed in european air as it does in yank air, and guess what, I paid a third of what you did".

California beats anywhere else for weather, x/c destinations (San Diego, Las Vegas, San Fransisco, Santa Barbara).

Also Seosamh can give examples of his former students now working both in the US and in Europe.

Xorthis
10th Aug 2008, 17:59
I did forget to add what Dream said, the FAA option is very attractive and is something that you should consider before you go. I'm only continuing with the JAA license as I've already got some of the exams under my belt and have started the syllabus.

I couldn't recommend the FAA Commercial aspect however if you are planning to fly in Europe. At best, do the JAA CPL/IR in the UK, otherwise do it in the US. There's plenty of other threads on this subject already for more info, I don't want to turn this into another FAA Vs JAA thread! :)