PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair

Pages : [1] 2

Jimmy The Big Greek
11th Jan 2006, 15:57
I know that Ryanair is going to start 2 new bases next year.
I have heard some rumours that they are going to have a base in Greece.
Can someone confirm this.

michaelknight
11th Jan 2006, 16:31
Yes I can.

MK

ifleeplanes
11th Jan 2006, 16:55
Where do you get your info? I work for them and havn't heard that rumour yet!

farmer jo
11th Jan 2006, 17:13
It will intersting to know where ? It cannot be LGAV as its the most expensive airport in Europe,and they don't like paying fees !! So where else would they go ?

klm-md11
11th Jan 2006, 18:57
-IF- this is true, perhaps Thessaloniki LGTS??

Greece could do with a REAL LCC as Aegean isn't all that cheap...

LGAV may be very expensive, but EZY flies there from three destinations.

let's wait and see.

Donners
11th Jan 2006, 20:41
Geia sou Jimmy the Big Greek,

Stansted to Athens would be a great route. H Athina einai 6 me 7 ores odigisi apo tin Thessaloniki, pou sumainei oti einai arketa makria akoma kai gia tin Ryanair. Apo oti gnorizo den uparxoun alles epiloges gia tin perioxi tis Athinas ektos kai an kanonoun kapio diakanonizmo me to palio Elliniko Airodromio. Einai kleisto edo kai 5 xronia kai vevaia poly usixo!

Cheers,
Donners.

Jimmy The Big Greek
11th Jan 2006, 21:13
Giasas everybody

No, Donners. The old airport in athens (helliniko) is closed. They are going to build houses there.

Good base would be Heraklion in Creete.

msmorley
11th Jan 2006, 22:25
No, Donners. The old airport in athens (helliniko) is closed. They are going to build houses there.

Houses? <cough> Surely "largest urban park in Europe" ;) Using Ellinikon would probably be the first instance where a "Ryanairport" was closer to the city it served than the principal airport :eek: I'd have thought Tanagra was more likely :)

Good base would be Heraklion in Creete.
Greece is crying out for for more competition (be it an LCC or otherwise): On domestic routes, OA and A3 are expensive and their flights are packed out . As Donners says, driving between Greece's two principal cities takes ages - even longer if you chance the train - so there is a significant domestic market to be exploited, not to mention the potential for expansion into the Balkans.
HER would be a good choice and would seem to offer more potential than Thessaloniki as a base. Given SKG's reputation for foggy wx that might not be a match made in heaven anyway. On the face of it, ATH would seem to be too expensive for an LCC, but of late the airport has been looking rather empty (is the satellite ever used anymore?) and AIA might welcome a low cost entrant...

12th Jan 2006, 09:32
I heard stories of BGY-SKG and CIA-SKG last year, but as with 90% of Ryanair rumours nothing came of it.

This thread is the first time I've heard a Greek base mentioned.

FlightDetent
12th Jan 2006, 09:52
Is there any rumor that the second base could be Bratislava - Slovakia (Or as advertised, Vienna - Bratislava) ?

jabird
12th Jan 2006, 10:08
"Using Ellinikon would probably be the first instance where a "Ryanairport" was closer to the city it served than the principal airport"

How about CIA, and GSE?

Newforest
12th Jan 2006, 11:24
Where do you get your info? I work for them and havn't heard that rumour yet!

The only reason for going to Greece is to stick it to Easyjet. I think Greece would be the longest sector for Ryanair (?) and long sectors are not profitable for LCC's. ATC delays and weather can wreck havoc with the timetable and the 25 mins turnround necessary to keep the planes flying. Remember Ryanair have no back up planes or pilots. Greece is out, IMHO, but North Africa might be the next opportunity!

12th Jan 2006, 11:37
The only reason for going to Greece is to stick it to Easyjet. I think Greece would be the longest sector for Ryanair (?) and long sectors are not profitable for LCC's. ATC delays and weather can wreck havoc with the timetable and the 25 mins turnround necessary to keep the planes flying. Remember Ryanair have no back up planes or pilots. Greece is out, IMHO, but North Africa might be the next opportunity!
It depends where you're flying to/from. Flying from the UK or Scandinavia would be out, but from Italy, it would be a reasonable destination. Even from Hahn, they fly routes of a similar distance (Tampere, Jerez).

WOWBOY
12th Jan 2006, 12:01
Stansted to Athens would be a great route.

Flyglobespan have launched this Route!

Stanstedeye
11th Mar 2006, 20:07
Ryanair to fly to Montenegro. Info from LUCHTZAK
Stanstedeye

Saintsman
15th Mar 2006, 09:26
In this week's Flight International Ryanair are said to be launching a joint venture with Singapore Technologies Aerospace to do all their maintenance in either Latvia or Poland. Although STAe have not confirmed this, if true, it sounds like the end of its loss making JV in Bournemouth.

LatviaCalling
15th Mar 2006, 19:11
I don't know about Riga, Latvia, because of the lack of complete technical facilities, but Warsaw, located in Central Europe, and a major European hub, could be a carrot for Ryanair.

pee
15th Mar 2006, 19:19
In Poland Rzeszów (RZE) is competing, not Warsaw. They have a very decent airport and skilled workers there.

PS. And they offer some 30 hectares of land by the airport for free...

Avman
18th Mar 2006, 11:39
Well, not really, but it did look odd. T'was FJE for RYR. Not often that you see other carriers subbing for RYR though. Pilots and hours?

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
18th Mar 2006, 11:47
Quite a few of Ryanair's flights are operated by other aircraft.

A320s are used regurlarly.

nema/robin hood
21st Mar 2006, 19:23
Hi guys

Maybe I have missed something posted here - But I understood that Ryanair were introducing On-Line Check-In from the 16th March as part of their "Revolution" !!

I have booked flights for the end of May, but cannot find anything on their website to indicate On-Line Check-In.

Can anyone help?

jack_essex
22nd Mar 2006, 16:22
Have a look at the Ryanair website now. The online check in is up and running. I know they had a few early problems with it but it should be sorted now.

initial
22nd Mar 2006, 17:23
When you try to check in online from Newcastle it lists Verona as a destination. Is this a glitch or a new route?

Not included on the booking engine though

pax britanica
23rd Mar 2006, 08:27
This is not a FR bashing thread just seeking some views
Undoubtedly Ryanair have made money and brought a new dimension to Euro airtravel
unquestionably their product -punctuality aside compares badly with most carriers but it can be incredibly cheap
My question however is that why do they offer money losing fares on routes with no competition and where they would have essentially the same pax load if their lowest fare was say £15 or €20. Most of their UK to France routes are where virtually all their pax would choose them anyway as no other carrier operates routes like EGSS-Carcasonne, Poitiers or Bergerac and much of their clientelle on those routes are perhaps not so price sensitive as on Gatwick-Dublin or EGSS -Prestwick
So to summarise have FR made a mistake in underpricing dozens of city pairs where they have no competition and have actually generated lots of new traffic. They only need the super cheap stuff on routes like EGSS-Stockholm ( not that any Swedish person would class their 'Stockholm' destinations as anywhere near the capital city ) where they have to drastically undercut BA SAS because of the disparity in service and convenience.
I confess I have never flown them -partly because I live 90 miles from EGSS on the other side of London and that coupled with their strange 'Am I bovvered' attitude to customers doesnt encourage me to fight the m3/m25/m11 or the difficulty amd hopeless unreliability of cross London rail
PB

sky9
23rd Mar 2006, 09:09
PB
You make the mistake of assuming that Ryanair is an airline; it isn’t. It is a financial organisation that derives its income from selling and leasing back aircraft and getting grants for going to the outlying airfields that you meantion. The fares that it receives plus of course its profits on “taxes and charges” are only a part of the income that it generates.
It will all come to a grinding halt if the company stops bringing in new aircraft that it has been unable to sell and lease back. Air Europe was in the same "sell and leaseback" game in the 80’s and it all went wrong as we all remember, as of course did that huge Irish leasing company – I just can’t for the life of me remember its name, something to do with the Liffy if I remember. Is this a pub quiz?

Skipness One Echo
23rd Mar 2006, 15:34
Twas the same Mr Ryan that lost millions in GPA too.

Nakata77
24th Mar 2006, 08:37
going back to original posts - saintsman: how do you know that STAE (BASCO) is loss making at Bournemouth??? I thought they had a full maintenance backlog for some considerable years and the reason FR want to go to Poland/Latvia is that a) they can gain cheaper labour, b) they won't have to wait for a slot! BASCO has more plans at Bournemouth for larger and heavier aircraft maintenance - not less.

warm beer
26th Mar 2006, 19:25
Tonight out of EMA the SNN flight replaced by an A320.

Surely this is not because there are not enough pilots to fly in April:ok:

WB

Devonair
28th Mar 2006, 09:13
6 new routes from Pisa
http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=1387336;s=rollingnews.htm

Buster the Bear
29th Mar 2006, 19:55
I was shocked to see that the chartered Eirjet A320 from Liverpool to Derry today, the one that mistakenly landed at Ballykenny, only had 39 pax on board!

39 pax in a 189 configured aircraft, well assuming RYR were operating the flight and not the 180 (?) in an Eirjet A320.

39 divided by 189 = 21% load factor!

Why were Eirjet operating this flight?

Captain of the Eirjet needs to go to Specsavers!

EI-CFC
31st Mar 2006, 09:20
Why were Eirjet operating this flight?

Eirjet are operating a few flights for FR at the moment, not just this one. They're covering for FR's available crew shortages

cuthere
31st Mar 2006, 10:55
In reply to BTB's load comments I too was surprised to hear of only 39 pax on the flight, especially when seen in the context of the following quote taken from Derry City Council's website (posted 9th Feb):

"Liverpool is a significant destination and is the hub of the North West of England and is fast becoming one of the UK’s fastest growing airports. The Liverpool route is already proving to be a very popular destination with North West passengers. In the first 24 hours of its announcement, over 5,000 seats were sold on the route, making it one of the most successful announcements to date"

So there must be some interest in the route. Also, would Ryanair bother if the yield was very poor?

sky9
31st Mar 2006, 12:48
I am amazed at how sloppy the Ryanair Financial Reports are.
If you go onto the website they are announcing the 2006 half yearly and 3rd quater reports. (they are in fact the 2005 reports).

The actual reports don't identify what year they are referring to until you actually get to the figures.

No indication is given to the actual number of leased aircraft or whether the aircraft are outside leases in addition to the purchased aircraft or sale and leaseback deals.

Cyrano
31st Mar 2006, 15:54
Sky9:
The Ryanair financial year x starts in April of the year x-1. Thus their 2006 financial year is April 1 2005 - March 31 2006. The third quarter is the quarter that ended on Dec 31.
This nomenclature is confusing but hardly unique to Ryanair.
If you have looked at many airline annual reports you will be aware that spelling out details of fleet leasing arrangements is not particularly common. I wish it were (it would make my job much easier :hmm: ) but it's not.
I am no fan of Ryanair but I don't think your "sloppy" allegation is proven.

ZCZCINTZBZ
6th Apr 2006, 15:21
Anyone know why Ryanair processed all of the pax at Stansted last Sunday, sending pax through airside, then deciding to tell them that the flights were cancelled? This caused chaos, having to retrieve baggae and an enormous queue to try and arrange alternative flights. I had to get a flight from EGKK at 0600 next morning, thanks to help from a good mate - cheers Steve! I am in Almeria now and there seems to be little or no information if things are back to normal with Ryan Air for return flights to UK for those that got here by other means. Has anyone got any updated information - anything would be wonderful! Tom hope you are having a good P.R.A.:confused:

the grim repa
6th Apr 2006, 16:34
Ryanair are cancelling so many flights because the IAA has limited their AOC to 99 aircraft indefinitely.Some people speculate that this limitation is in response to the appalling treatment of its flight crews,its mismanagement of rostering and scheduling and the IAAs unease at pilots flying 900 hours in 9-10 months.Along with a few near death experiences,of course.Also ryanair will finally be made to comply with the jar limit of flying 900 hours in the rolling format and crews that would have previously come back in hours at april 1st,are still out of hours.
Another factor,is that ryanairs pilots have seen sense and refused to sign up to a five year penal labour roster and have screwed the schedule.So sure were management that they could foist these bull**** conditions upon the pilot group,that they had planned the summer schedule for longer days,assuming the pilots would bend over and take it.So now instead of re-organising the schedule they have cancelled the flights and diverted their efforts to penalising the pilot group for having the audacity to refuse such a great deal.A deal that the head of op's said will get through whatever,"because he had spent so much time working it out" and following the rejection sent a memo telling the pilots "that the company did not want the new terms and conditions anyhow".What a loser!

Stan Woolley
6th Apr 2006, 18:21
Grim

Where can I find all this written down?

If I'm on a rolling roster surely I need to know about it?

MarkD
6th Apr 2006, 20:04
grim
surely if this was true FR would have to make a market announcement?

the grim repa
6th Apr 2006, 22:44
Stan you can find it on the AOC and www.repaweb.org

markd you have been around long enough now to know that ryanair management could put the labour party to shame when it comes to spin,spin,spin.What do you think the announcement would be?

IronWalt
6th Apr 2006, 23:29
Well, I have been considering the interview offer from RyanAir / Brookfield for quite some time now. I have to say, that while the thought of an early Captain seat is tempting, the things I read here about the company and their practices are quite troubling.

With a recall back to USAirways in probably 12 to 18 months I am weighing the two out. The thought of living in Europe and flying the 737 again is what draws me. But I am not so sure that working in this chaos that I see described is good for my career.

Any thoughts or insights. Is RyanAir a poor career decision?

sky9
7th Apr 2006, 06:53
I see that Ryanair have changed the recruiting advert to "the high pay airline" up to £100,000 per annum.
So "high pay" could on the basis of the PPRuNe evidence be from nothing to £100,000.

bacardi walla
7th Apr 2006, 07:06
If it's true that RYR have been capped by the IAA to 99 aircraft, what effect will this have on deliveries of new 738's ? Who will RYR blame for that one ? Won't be themselves that's for sure......

Looooong haul
7th Apr 2006, 07:46
If this 99 aircraft is true they will sell of the oldest 738s and tell the investment community that it is a great time to sell 738s straight after the warranty has run out (about 5 Ys)

MarkD
7th Apr 2006, 13:11
Ryanair announced plans to sell the first few 738s some time ago. Jethros has the details on the FR fleet list.

IronWalt
8th Apr 2006, 21:58
IronWalt - I would come for 18 months on Brookfield contract, If you get the roaming base 5 on 5 off you can get salary tax free. A lot of captain take home 11000 euros per month and if you roam and can legally avoid tax its a fair whack. Just make sure ABOLSUTELY EVERYTHING you are promised is written down in any contract and you've read it. Verbal agreements or interview promises of money, roster patterns or bases have been broken countless times.

And what happens after 18 months? If I move to the EU to take this on, I am going to want it permanently. Is there a point where we become RyanAir employees or are we permanently attached to Brookfield?

airhumberside
12th Apr 2006, 09:55
Ryanair have announced new flights to

Fez
Granada
Kaunsas
Krakow
Marrakesh
Murcia
Trieste
Verona (not Verona Bresica)
Wroclaw

Flights start late October with an extra 2 B737-800's to be based at Hahn

jack_essex
12th Apr 2006, 10:03
Sounds great. Hopefully we will see some Stansted - Morocco routes soon!

escapeSNBA
12th Apr 2006, 13:04
I was looking for some more information on the technical interview at ryanair... (un)fortunatly I run into this big discussions about Ryanair.

So now, I am in a big doubth...

Should I leave my company (SNBrussels Airlines) , making only 3500 euro's as a captain every month, for a nice salery at Ryanair (6000 euro's a month) flying a nice plane? Or is this a hugh mistake?

Were are the Ryanair pilots to help me to make up my mind?

What will happen with their Cao limiting them to only 99 aircrafts
What will happen with their rosters? 5:3 5/4
What will happen with their income?
Are you paid from they one?

thanks in advance for your help

EI-CFC
12th Apr 2006, 23:20
Were are the Ryanair pilots to help me to make up my mind?

You might have more look asking in the Terms and Endearment forum in the Pilot section :)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

humberside_go
19th Apr 2006, 02:26
I'm booked to fly with ryanair on the 7th june from Liverpool to Riga, returning on the 13th. My gripe is this, when I booked the flight back on the 24th January the confirmation page stated the flight would leave at 7.05am on the outward sector, arriving Riga at 11.50am. The return flight was stated as departing at 12.15 arriving Liverpool 13.05. Now I decided to check the view booking page on the Ryanair website today to discover that the flight times have been changed to departing at 1735 on the 7th and returning at 23.35 on the 13th. I've had no emails/phone calls etc from ryanair to advise me of this change in flight times which is approximatley 10 hours later than the advertised time. The change in times I can just about live with (although these new times are much nastier than the originals) what has really annoyed me is that Ryanair have neglected to tell me of the change to my itinery as soon as they have known about it themselves - I was left to check for myself. Imagine my reaction if I were to make the 2 and half hour drive through the night to Liverpool to be told that my flight would not be departing for over 10 hours! Just a short email to me advising of the changes is all that it would have taken to avoid this possible situation. It makes me wonder how many people who have booked early on this flight are going to turn up at 5am for a flight that won't depart until 1735.

indiamikecharles
19th Apr 2006, 08:16
I didn't see if someone mentioned it already, RYR are or were negotiating plans to operate out of Maribor, Slovenia, I heard a couple of weeks ago.

OltonPete
19th Apr 2006, 08:17
I must admit I had the opposite experience. I had booked Ryanair BHX - Girona - BHX and after their spat with BHX the flight was moved to East Midlands. Within days I had an e-mail from Ryanair re-booking me from East Midlalnds.

Living 3-4 miles from BHX I naturally told them where to go and requested
my money back. Ryanair promptly told me (very politely) to go away. This
involved me getting to East Midlands at 6am (Sunday) - Noooooooo way.

Solihull Trading Standards got me a full refund within a few weeks -
granted it had hit the local press by this time.

Ryanair also wrote to me and the content was first class and certainly
at the time buried the myth that there is no such thing as Customer
Service at Ryanair.

Although I got a good result, I have never flown with Ryanair since. However it is prevalent with the LCC's & both Myttravellite and Baby have changed my flight times. In all instances they have always let me know in good time. Baby in fact phoned me on my mobile and wrote to me. Mytravellite even changed my flight to the following afternoon which suited me and at no extra cost!

I know this does not help you but I think it is one of the things you have
to put up with when booking with LCC's. I always complain until I get my money back or a more suitable flight and more often or not it works.

A work colleague had the same problem with Wizz to Buda, moved his flight time 10 hours and he got a full refund after a long phone call - he booked
with Easy instead!

OltonPete

BALIX
19th Apr 2006, 10:08
Well, Ryanair have never failed to tell me of a flight timing change. I suspect it is all automatic and whenever a schedule change is entered into the reservation computer an e mail is sent to everyone with a reservation on that flight that has provided an e mail addy. Of course you might have changed your e mail addy in the mean time but I'm sure that somewhere in the booking process it tells you to advise them of any change in e mail address for this very reason.

humberside_go
19th Apr 2006, 11:34
Just found out from a friend who booked the other half of the tickets in our party and he hasn't received any email advising him of the change either so it doesnt seem to be just me they've neglected to inform. Whats even more annoying is theres no way I can clarify the change without ringing their reservation centre, a reservations email contact would be useful.

allanmack
19th Apr 2006, 12:16
Never had any problems with FR and being notified of any changes in schedule. Always had an e-mail to inform me. What has happened though, with all the filters I now have in place to stop SPAM, I am finding that various e-mails are being sent direct to the Junk Mail box and my last FR flight change was one. This is now rectified so be careful that the e-mails are not being filtered out as SPAM.

EI-CFC
19th Apr 2006, 18:56
The change in times I can just about live with (although these new times are much nastier than the originals) what has really annoyed me is that Ryanair have neglected to tell me of the change to my itinery as soon as they have known about it themselves

I'm sure they forgot to put you at the head of the queue...in front of the thousands of others that have to be notified about the schedule change which occur for most airlines, especially coming into the summer. As you're not flying until June, you may be a little down the list..

ryanair1
21st Apr 2006, 11:28
we certainly don't do it on purpose - customers are number one of course

pwalhx
21st Apr 2006, 11:44
I am booked or was booked to fly with Ryanair to Riga in June. I received notification yesterday of the timing change.

As the change was over two hours there was the option to cancel with a full refun which I took as I need to be in Riga early afternoon.

Seemed perfectly acceptable customer service to me.

shamrock7seal
21st Apr 2006, 15:44
but they get us all to believe the ticket cost is cheap then tell us we need to pay for insurance, baggage, £5 for a coffee etc. This isnt sustainable - sooner of later people will think we're being taken for a ride

ryanair1
21st Apr 2006, 16:10
shamrock7seal

true. but we're still miles cheaper than anyone else. our average fare is now £28 net. beat that!

the only people who are pi*sed off with us are the airlines we compete with and the airports we don't pay

customers love us 99% of the time. we get it right 99% of the time - which is more than any other airline in the world

safety, reliability and affordability - nothing else matters

Coasthugger
21st Apr 2006, 16:57
customers are number one of course

ROFLMAO.

Profits are number one, don't kid yourself.

airbourne
22nd Apr 2006, 08:41
Munster V Leinster Rugby game 2moro. Theres a great ad in the news papers that Ryanair will give 1000 free flights for every point munster win by tomorow. HOWEVER the cost of a flight from Cork - Dublin tomorow is over €300!! Yeh, the low fares ailines alright!!

captwannabe
22nd Apr 2006, 09:15
the only people who are pi*sed off with us are the airlines we compete with and the airports we don't pay

Don't forget to mention all the pilots who have had to pay for their TR (except the blond Swedes for SAA, they didn't know any better).
And every other pilot and wannabe who thinks about how Ryanair is :mad:ing up the industry with their :mad: T&Cs.

:* (Delete as appropriate Mods)

michaelknight
22nd Apr 2006, 09:36
It is clear from all of 'ryanair1' 10 posts in his first day of joining, that he is some 13 year old child pulling his plumb behind a PC out to wind people up.

MODs worry about bandwidth, remove this clown.

MK

PS: Professional forum, I don't like wasting time reading the BS.

EI-CFC
22nd Apr 2006, 11:19
HOWEVER the cost of a flight from Cork - Dublin tomorow is over €300!! Yeh, the low fares ailines alright!!

And your point is? Most, if not all airlines will charge a lot more for last minute/walk up bookings.

Stanstedeye
22nd Apr 2006, 18:38
It is clear from all of 'ryanair1' 10 posts in his first day of joining, that he is some 13 year old child pulling his plumb behind a PC out to wind people up.
MODs worry about bandwidth, remove this clown.
MK
PS: Professional forum, I don't like wasting time reading the BS.

I assume that you do not love your employer.

gilesdavies
24th Apr 2006, 22:40
Ryanair launched their Luton base over a year ago now to much fan fare and promise of new routes and this was just the start of a huge expansion from the airport.

During that time since the launch of the new base we have seen several routes chop and change and no growth during that time, unlike its other bases which continued to grow and develop (namely Liverpool).

Luton is continuing to flourish with other LCC launching new routes - so why not Ryanair?

Routes we have seen disappear include Dinard, Ebsjerg and Venice Treviso. These routes have been replaced by other routes including Brest and Knock, also routes to Shannon and Bergamo that were operated by aircraft from their respected bases are simply operated by Luton based aircraft now.

Is Ryanair unhappy with passenger numbers from its Luton base or is the base simply there to act as a leverage pawn to remind BAA their are alternative London bases available?

Is there still four 737-800's based at Luton?

Regards
Giles

DrKev
25th Apr 2006, 07:51
Does anyone know how many PSO routes Ryanair operate?

Cyrano
25th Apr 2006, 08:42
Does anyone know how many PSO routes Ryanair operate?
To the best of my knowledge, zero. They tendered for the Dublin-Kerry PSO route in Ireland a year ago but didn't get it (Aer Arann did).

Incidentally Ryanair (and Easyjet) are currently in dispute with ENAC (the Italian CAA) over their right to start non-PSO service between Sardinia and the Italian mainland on routes which already have a PSO awarded to another carrier.

Any others?

brabazon
25th Apr 2006, 09:13
Cyrano you are correct. The whole point of a PSO should be that the route can't be operated on a commercial basis - something that Ryanair wouldn't do.

A good example of the PSO in action is the Glasgow - Barra route - however, you will find that the French and Italians use the PSO system for more "political" routes and it could be argued (as Ryanair and easyJet are) that some of their designated routes could be operated on a commercial basis. On the other hand if the French/Italian tax payers are happy for their money to be spent on subsidising such routes rather than on other things likes hospitals, roads, schools etc - well who are people who are not French or Italian residents to complain?

Coasthugger
25th Apr 2006, 10:21
well who are people who are not French or Italian residents to complain?
Other EU taxpayers? After all, all EU governments participate in the funding of the EU. So arguably that is money which should be spent elsewhere than in France or Italy - that's why there are rules about state aid within the EU.
Crikey, never thought I'd find myself supporting a Ryanair position! Mind you, it's their usual hypocrisy, they were happy to benefit from subsidies at Charleroi and elsewhere. :)

brabazon
25th Apr 2006, 10:51
The EU doesn't collect taxes only national governments. Ths PSOs are funded from the nation's coffers not via an EU subsidy. UK taxpayers are not subisidising these routes if that's what you think.

ryanair1
25th Apr 2006, 16:39
michaelknight believes i am 'pulling my plumb' behind the computer. why make it personal mike?

er... who gives a rats ass who i am (and what i do in FR) the point is not to get personal with each other but to face the reality that this industry is over-priced and under-served. we are working to change that... so bend over and accept it - like a man

Evileyes
25th Apr 2006, 17:37
Mod comment to all: Get back on topic, knock off the personal abuse, innuendo and profanity, or take an enforced break from PPRuNe.

There is an "Edit" button on the bottom right of your post windows, consider using it if this applies to you.

Note also that there is a "Delete" function there which removes the entire post if it lends nothing to the conversation.

caaardiff
25th Apr 2006, 17:42
Advertising link removed

This has been posted elsewhere, but is also relevant to this topic.
As of may 1st, ryanair will cease the DUB-CWL route and all flights will now go from Bristol.

LTNman
25th Apr 2006, 17:43
Ryanair launched their Luton base over a year ago now to much fan fare and promise of new routes and this was just the start of a huge expansion from the airport.
During that time since the launch of the new base we have seen several routes chop and change and no growth during that time, unlike its other bases which continued to grow and develop (namely Liverpool).
Luton is continuing to flourish with other LCC launching new routes - so why not Ryanair?
Routes we have seen disappear include Dinard, Ebsjerg and Venice Treviso. These routes have been replaced by other routes including Brest and Knock, also routes to Shannon and Bergamo that were operated by aircraft from their respected bases are simply operated by Luton based aircraft now.
Is Ryanair unhappy with passenger numbers from its Luton base or is the base simply there to act as a leverage pawn to remind BAA their are alternative London bases available?
Is there still four 737-800's based at Luton?
Regards
Giles

Still 4 LTN based aircraft but no spare stands for night stoppers until 2007/2008 now that easyjet has taken what was left.

geraintw
25th Apr 2006, 18:06
RYANAIR ANNOUNCES CLOSURE OF DUBLIN - CARDIFF ROUTE

Ryanair, Europe's leading low fares airline, today (April 25, 2006) announced the cessation of its service from Dublin to Cardiff and the transfer of these services to Bristol International Airport with effect from Monday next, 1 May.

Ryanair's five-year agreement with Cardiff Airport was due for renewal on that date but the airport has insisted on increasing its passenger charges by over 350%. In addition, the airport has reneged on elements of its current contract and is attempting to force Ryanair to pay extra charges for services which were covered under that contract.

Announcing the decision, Ryanair's Deputy Chief Executive Michael Cawley said: "Cardiff Airport is pricing itself out of the low fares market. Cost increases of the order of 350% belong to an era when the lowest air fare from Ireland to the UK was €250.

"Ryanair has a wide choice of competitive airports available to it and, with effect from Monday next, 1 May, we will be transferring these services to Bristol International Airport and, for those flights up to 10 May, Ryanair will provide coach services between the two airports.

"In addition, we will be offering refunds to any passengers who have already booked on these Cardiff flights and who don't wish to travel to Bristol. We very much regret the inconvenience caused to our passengers but we are not prepared to tolerate these levels of cost increase on their behalf from airports whose only interest seems to be to gouge passengers with extortionate price increases."

Cardiff Airport replied:

Cardiff – Dublin services

Cardiff International Airport has become the latest in a string of airports to come under attack from Ryanair – in March it was Ireland’s Cork Airport; earlier in April, Stansted was in their sights.

Statements by the airline about their contract with Cardiff International Airport are incorrect but they are renowned for taking up such positions and have done this with a number of airports in the UK and their native Ireland.

In fact, charges proposed by Cardiff International were less than the average that Ryanair publicly admits it pays across Europe.

Dublin-bound passengers left in the lurch by Ryanair need not worry. Award-winning airline Aer Arann have this evening confirmed that they will take over the lucrative 180,000 passengers-a-year Cardiff-Dublin route with a twice-daily service from next week. Fares from £19.99 one way including taxes will be offered on Aer Arann’s new service..

Aer Arann have already taken over Cardiff-Cork, announced new services to Lorient and is expected to announce a Cardiff – Galway service tomorrow.

Q40099
25th Apr 2006, 18:13
Ryanair, Europe’s leading low fares airline, today announced the cessation of its service from Dublin to Cardiff and the transfer of these services to Bristol International Airport with effect from Monday next, 1st May. Ryanair’s five year agreement with Cardiff Airport was due for renewal on that date but the airport has insisted on increasing its passenger charges by over 350%. In addition, the airport has reneged on elements of its current contract and is attempting to force Ryanair to pay extra charges for services which were covered under that contract.
Announcing the decision Ryanair’s Deputy Chief Executive, Michael Cawley, said,
“Cardiff Airport is pricing itself out of the low fares market. Cost increases of the order of 350% belong to an era when the lowest air fare from Ireland to the UK was €250. Ryanair has a wide choice of competitive airports available to it and, with effect from Monday next, 1st May, we will be transferring these services to Bristol International Airport. For those flights up to the 10th May Ryanair will provide coach services between the two airports.
In addition we will be offering refunds to any passengers who have already booked on these Cardiff flights and who don’t wish to travel to Bristol. We very much regret the inconvenience caused to our passengers but we are not prepared to tolerate these levels of cost increases on their behalf from airports whose only interest seems to be to gouge passengers with extortionate price increases. ”

Congratulations to the mngt at CWL, one airline gone out of business and another pulled out, all in the space of a week. All the pax will just go to Bristol and reap all passenger numbers altogether. The low cost revolution is something Airports should grasp and welcome, Cardiff seem to be pushing the Loco's away with fee increases. Isn't it time JH retired?

:ok:

Eh Hello?
25th Apr 2006, 18:20
Aer Arann are set to pick it up with a twice daily starting at £19.99 - quick move !

PeterP
25th Apr 2006, 19:37
Strange response, Q40099. One daily rotation goes, replaced by at least two plus another route into the bargain. And at what Ryanair claims is its average airport charge across Europe. Plus a REAL £19.99 fare includes taxes. Not a bad result at all.

Anyone who is asked to accept a Bristol flight instead can, of course, claim up to 250 euros compensation, I think. Plus a seat on the Aer Arann service.

Shed-on-a-Pole
25th Apr 2006, 20:37
Q40099:

With respect, your response is unworthy and less than informed. A rise in fees of this magnitude (expressed as a percentage) typically represents the natural conclusion of an agreed period during which discounted rates are offered by an airport company to help an airline 'bed-in' a new service. It is in fact a discretionary GIFT from the airport, invested in the expectation of achieving a future return for the airport business when the route matures to profitability and standard charges can be applied. Airports are not charities and need to pay their way and achieve reasonable returns like any other business. A margin of profitability is desirable! Most companies would be grateful for such financial assistance from their industry partners; a small number of disreputable companies instead abuse the end of the discretionary reduced-fees period to demonise their partners instead via the wilful promotion of bad publicity. Such behaviour is shameful and a disgrace to any management team guilty of indulging so.

Fortunately, more journalists are becoming wise to this ruse these days and are able to distinguish the smear-merchants from the professional management teams who are targeted by companies for whom the concepts of decency and ethics are considered no more than dirty words.

Airport companies across Europe have now had plenty of opportunities to observe how certain unethical airline companies behave. Perhaps the time has come for a brave few to turn away the unprofitable patronage [for the airport company] of the culprits, or levy standard charges upon them from the outset. There will be no 350% fee increases then, will there?

So go easy on CWL's management. There is more to this than meets the eye. Please be assured also that I myself have no links with CWL or its management team.

All the best, SHED.

Q40099
25th Apr 2006, 21:13
Ok, I see where you are coming from. At least the service has been replaced, albeit by an ATR72.

Good luck to Aer Arann on the route, it's a shame to loose routes from any airport.

:ok:

PeterP
25th Apr 2006, 21:18
Shed, your comment deserves publication throughout the industry.

Sikpupi
25th Apr 2006, 21:48
Shed...well done...and well said!!!

Airport Management have to make tough decisions as well and should not be seen as the bad guys here. Ryanair got their X No of years of freebies while the airport carried the costs....why can't Ryanair share their piece of the pie for a change???? All sort of legislation is coming down the line and airports no longer can rely on govt support and grants to 'finance' lo-cost operations. It's time to 'Pay to Play' and it management can't bury it's head in the sand when faced with the real costs of operating an airport. Tough decisions must be made and the attitude of 'its my ball and I'm going home' from Ryanair is not fair based on the relationship built over the past X no of years.

Maybe its an ill wind that blows!!! Aer Arann even on an ATR and probably paying 'reasonable' fees could suit the airport perfectly!!! Airport wins on revenue, Airline will get the loads with decent pricing, pax get an airline who cares and Cardiff Management get to deal with an Airline who is prepared to work with them for the benefit of all user.

thats my piece... ( and it not FR bashing!!!)

Sikki

Flame
25th Apr 2006, 22:24
Hey Guys (& Gals)

Great to see Aer Arann filling the gap...!!!! Pity someone in Aer Arann does not tell their IT people, as of tonight (25/4/06 at 2330)...there is no way to book the Dublin - Cardiff sector on their website...so much for Re being fast..!!!, If RE are as serious as they make themselves out to be...lets see the bookings available on their website and at a competitive fare:ok:

JDB1052
25th Apr 2006, 23:53
MOL clearly wants to use this as a signal to other airports thinking about airport charge increases, planned or unplanned. That said, there is clearly no shortage of other airlines happy to jump on a busy route to pick up the slack left behind - the route capacity will drop by half (14 ATR72 against 10 738) so Arran should do well if they get the fares right. £19.99 for starters sounds great, especially as most of the Ryanair passengers for the first two weeks will have the option of getting 250 euro compensation and a cheap ticket on Arran or else staying with Ryanair to fly to Bristol and get the bus to Cardiff.
Arran will also get in just in time for the FA Cup Final and the rugby final, so should clean upon these weekends.

LTNman
26th Apr 2006, 05:25
Cardiff’s owners have just taken over an Italian company to become the worlds largest infrastructure company valued at £25 billion. I think they are big enough to tell Ryanair where to go.

EI-CFC
26th Apr 2006, 10:09
Strange response, Q40099. One daily rotation goes, replaced by at least two plus another route into the bargain. And at what Ryanair claims is its average airport charge across Europe. Plus a REAL £19.99 fare includes taxes. Not a bad result at all.

Well, not all the fares will be £19.99..In fact, I'll go out on a limb and guess they'll generally much more expensive than FR's average DUB - CWL fare.

Award-winning airline Aer Arann have this evening confirmed that they will take over the lucrative 180,000 passengers-a-year Cardiff-Dublin route with a twice-daily service from next week

Should be quite fun to see them pack all of those passengers into ATR's ;)

PeterP
26th Apr 2006, 10:26
More rotations ... which means more choice. Equally, of course, the Ryanair fares did not include taxes so the price difference is not going to be huge.

cieloitaliano
26th Apr 2006, 17:57
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/4944784.stm

cieloitaliano
26th Apr 2006, 19:23
See your point. One Commercial Manager seeking alternative employment?:{ Quick, go and charter a fleet of transfer coaches.:E

MerchantVenturer
26th Apr 2006, 20:01
Note sure where the CWL management got the 180,000 figure from.

CAA stats for 2005 show 118,718 scheduled pax travelled on the CWL-DUB route (Ryanair and Air Wales) with 2,451 charter pax.

In 2004 the figures were 99,940 and 10,091 respectively.

I presume most of the charter pax were rugby fans going to watch Wales-Ireland internationals.
Even so these figures suggest an ATR (a 42 at that, I believe) may well struggle to meet demand at times.

sky9
29th Apr 2006, 17:29
Interesting to see in the 3rd quarter 2006 results published in February that the company has not brought forward on fuel after the end of March. With an annual fuel cost in 2005 of 350m euros hedged at $49 a barrel and current costs in excess of $70, it would look as if either fares go up or profits go down.

Nakata77
2nd May 2006, 08:37
Ryanair will launch Doncaster Sheffield (Robin Hood) to Pisa and Barcelona Gerona from the autumn

dwlpl
10th May 2006, 17:42
Marseille has been announced as base #16 with the arrival there of two aircraft in November.

The airline will be operating 13 routes out of Marseille.

The routes are to Brussels, Dublin, Eindhoven, Fez, Frankfurt, Glasgow, Karlsruhe Baden, London, Marrakech, Oujda, Oslo, Porto and Rome.

airhumberside
10th May 2006, 17:58
FR has also announced DUB-Berlin today

jack_essex
11th May 2006, 08:05
When do you think we will see some Stansted - Morocco routes?

Cyrano
11th May 2006, 10:13
MO'L was in Marseille yesterday and this morning to launch the new base, where he spoke this morning at an airline/airport conference. Usual rhetoric (FR are this morning filing a complaint with the European Commission about state aid to Air France, etc.), complaints about congestion ("we wouldn't fly to Frankfurt-Main or Charles de Gaulle or Heathrow even if they gave it to us for free"), but one or two interesting comments, in particular his assertion that FR will soon be announcing routes into the former Yugoslav republics.

sausagefingers
18th May 2006, 14:36
I hear Ryanair are getting 5 Boeing 777.
I hear the destinations will be Florida and Cape Town..
This would be great £0.01 longhaul Flights
:D

GW76
18th May 2006, 15:43
I hear Ryanair are getting 5 Boeing 777.
I hear the destinations will be Florida and Cape Town..
This would be great £0.01 longhaul Flights
:D(Reduced to a sensible size)
You hear wrong.....:rolleyes:

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
18th May 2006, 16:07
Is it 1st April?:}

Epsilon minus
18th May 2006, 16:12
I think the poor chap means DC7's :zzz:

LegsUpLucy
18th May 2006, 16:33
I have to say i did hear this back in march from a good source,apparently there are some B777-300 kicking round on the cheap,and we all know Michael like a cheap deal :ok:

potkettleblack
18th May 2006, 16:40
A quick google search of Ryanair and long haul will throw up a number of threads where MOL has been quoted on the merits of the airline offering transatlantic services. Could be some truth in the rumour.

The African Dude
18th May 2006, 16:50
Wow, 7 hours on a Ryanair flight. That would be fun. Not.

apaddyinuk
18th May 2006, 16:56
Ill beleive it when I see it, until then I reckon you have been hitting the Sherrys!

PAXboy
18th May 2006, 17:25
... threads where MOL has been quoted on the merits of the airline offering transatlantic services. Could be some truth in the rumour. Eeer, I think that you mean NO truth in the rumour? All I have read of MoL on this subject is heaping scorn on the idea. Mainly because he said he "did not want to be paying crews to be partying down the line". Unquote.

potkettleblack
18th May 2006, 17:33
These were his thoughts back in Sept 2005.

http://www.travelbiz.com.au/articles/2c/0c036d2c.asp

Paxboy - I wouldn't necessarily be seduced by MOL's flippant remarks that are made to grab the headlines. So long as there is a buck to be made then I can't see MOL giving a flying **** what his crews are up to down route so long as they turn up on time to fly his aircraft.

the_fish@blueyonder.
18th May 2006, 20:08
IF Ryanair did start LOCO flights to say New York or Miami then would they not be forced to offer slightly better comfort level than they current offer on thier flights?

I can't imagine many passengers who would want to sit in that kind of cabin for anything longer than 2/3 hours, the DVT conscience pax would surely have a fit! :eek:

How would such a move affect the Bigger Carriers, have any of major airlines suffered from the FlyGlobespan Glasgow-Miami route, and will they suffer from the MAN-Cape town route in the summer?

GW76
18th May 2006, 20:18
FlyGlobespan Glasgow-Miami
FlyGlobespan - Glasgow Orlando Sanford SFB actually:)

the_fish@blueyonder.
18th May 2006, 22:30
GW76

That's what I meant, they're only just down the road from each other anyway. :p

derekvader
19th May 2006, 03:14
IF Ryanair did start LOCO flights to say New York or Miami then would they not be forced to offer slightly better comfort level than they current offer on thier flights?

I can't imagine many passengers who would want to sit in that kind of cabin for anything longer than 2/3 hours, the DVT conscience pax would surely have a fit! :eek:

I'd do London - NYC for 1p plus tax, even with Ryanair. Might even go as much as £100, and spend the savings on an extra night in a hotel to recover.

IronWalt
20th May 2006, 02:59
Are all of your aircraft registered in the UK?

The reason I ask is that I am researching the conversion process of my FAA ATP and wonder if I can do the restricted ATP which would only be two exams. Thus saving me a plane load of money.

Cheers,
Walt

B727
20th May 2006, 03:16
No they're all registered in Ireland.:hmm:

IronWalt
20th May 2006, 03:24
Cool Beans,

That is going to save me some testing bucks!!!!

captjns
26th May 2006, 10:59
Off to Morocco

http://www.luchtzak.be/article11667.html

Also another slant from Air Transport World

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=5192

Bomber Harris
26th May 2006, 11:20
Great news. I'll be able to buy cheap plastic necklaces down temple bar now:) :) :)

T4Turtle
26th May 2006, 11:35
As easyJet and RyanAir broaden out of Europe this could be the begining of the end of BA short haul, it's franchises and subsidiaries? Why else has BA 'hung onto' its LGW slots. What do you know? :E

Ananda
29th May 2006, 21:31
Any news regarding this operation?

I have the feeling that FR will not operate soon routes to Greece for several reasons. Apart the standard reasons such us secondary airports, protection of the Greek government of it own (bankrupted) flag carrier...etc...

The point is that the Greek citizens rarely travel abroad. And an airline cannot be sustained just from the summer season. Moreover, as we all know FR sells the 98% (maybe even more) via Internet. In Greece the internet access at the moment is very low. So, I can't see how FR could reach the clients.

From the other side, I see a big potential for routes such as CIA - ATH and from London to Athens. There are loads of Greeks studing abroad and that would be a good market for the LOCOs....

However does any insider have any info?

Regards
Tms

MarkD
30th May 2006, 14:21
Ananda, Greeks have been travelling since Alexander was a lad. Plenty of them near where I live - I even married one :ok:

WHBM
30th May 2006, 17:19
Where do some of these opinions come from ?

London to Athens not profitable for LCCs ? It was one of Easyjet's earliest routes, and they more recently added a parallel route from Gatwick.

Long routes not profitable for LCCs. Folks, it depends what your yield is. Longer routes with higher fares will be profitable. Shorter routes with lower fares will not be. Not solely dependent on mileage.

Ryanair won't pay airport fees. News to their 2 largest bases, Stansted and Dublin.

25 minute turnrounds are necessary. Well looking at some comparisons, those with the shortest scheduled turnrounds often have slightly longer sector times scheduled on identical routes. It all depends how you present it.

Ananda
31st May 2006, 18:10
Dear MarkD,

Well, i did not want to offend the "relatives" of your wife, but if you go to see some statistics from the leading at the moment Greek carrier (Aegean) you will see that Greeks do NOT travel. This is a quote from the Aegean website "AEGEAN AIRLINES flew 4.007.515 passengers on its 18 jet aircraft in 2005"

Ah? in one year 4 million people in domestic and international flights? If I am not wrong FR carried more than 5million passengers only in the month of April.

From the other side dear WHBM, I would like to inform you that the routes of EZY London (both airports) Athens are really not Low cost!

Just a small research brought me this result €426.29 A/R.

Anyway, the greek market is still new for the LOCO's.....

Anybody from FR has more details on future routes to Greece?

Kind Regards
Tms

WHBM
31st May 2006, 22:25
WHBM, I would like to inform you that the routes of EZY London (both airports) Athens are really not Low cost!
Just a small research brought me this result €426.29 A/R.
Ryanair charged me £150 for a ONE WAY Bristol to Dublin (30 min block time), so in comparison this looks a bargain !

MarkD
1st Jun 2006, 15:43
Ananda

The fact is that Greece's peripherality doesn't help. As has been pointed out LCCs don't like long sector lengths - however FR's wingleting of their 738s for example reduces fuel burn over longer sectors.

Up to recently most places nearby Greece were not open-skies however the EU expansion is changing that - there's also the small airspace problem to the southeast. If you looked at Ireland's air travel figures before open-skies you would think they didn't like travelling either - the increases since have been enormous.

I don't dispute your figures - I do think that they will increase and soon.

ezybus
1st Jun 2006, 16:11
I'd like to add that easyJet are not a low cost carrier and never have been. They are a low cost operator and no frills airline. There is a huge difference. Ryanair are a low cost carrier.

Cyrano
1st Jun 2006, 16:50
ezybus
Ezybus:
I think you are on a hopeless quest in trying to establish a difference between a "low cost carrier", a "low cost operator" and a "no frills airline". These terms are essentially synonymous. Of course it's possible to argue that Ryanair are lower-cost than easyJet, and so on, but I can't really see easyJet saying "we are not a low cost carrier." :ooh:

Ananda
1st Jun 2006, 22:13
Dear MarkD,

I agree with you regarding the "open-skies". I can imagine that it could boost a bit the flow of the greek travellers. From the other side, Ireland apart the open skies has adapted an excellent tax policies which has attracted a lot of global businesses such as Dell, Google...etc....Obviously this thing has contributed a lot to the economy of Ireland and the flow of the business travellers.

In any case, I can say that although i am a bit astonished that FR wants to take over the air of Morocco, I find it a correct strategy. And from Hann can not be considered as a short lenght route. (maybe the new 738s will be used for those routes?)

Kind Regards
Tms

bia botal
6th Jun 2006, 10:03
Press Release
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RYANAIR FULL YEAR RESULTS AHEAD OF EXPECTATIONS RECORD NET PROFIT OF €302M AS TRAFFIC GROWS TO 35M

Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 low fares airline today (Tuesday, 6 June 2006) announced record after tax profits of €302m, some €7m ahead of previous expectations. Traffic grew by 26% to 35m passengers, yields were up 1%, as total revenues grew by 28% to €1.69bn. Excluding fuel, unit costs fell by 6% (including fuel they rose by 5%). Fuel costs rose by 74% to €462m. Despite these substantially higher fuel costs, Ryanair achieved an 18% after tax margin, as adjusted net profits increased for the year by 12% to €302m.

Summary Table of Results (IFRS) - in Euro

Year Ended Mar 31, 2005 Mar 31, 2006 % Increase
Passengers 27m 35m 26%
Revenue €1,319m €1,693m 28%
Adjusted Profit after Tax (note 1 & 2) €268m €302m 12%
Basic EPS (Euro Cents) (note 1 & 2) 35.28 39.32 11%

Note 1: Adjusted profit and EPS to March 31, 2005 excludes an amount of €11.9m (net of tax) resulting from changes in the accounting treatment for Goodwill arising on the Buzz acquisition following the adoption of IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards) Note 2: Adjusted profit after tax and EPS for the year ended March 31, 2006 excludes an amount of €5.2m ( net of tax) arising from the settlement of an aircraft insurance claim.

Announcing these results Ryanair’s Chief Executive, Michael O’Leary, said:

“Ryanair has again delivered record traffic and profits despite substantially higher oil prices, intense competition and the absence of Easter from the fourth quarter. This robust performance validates our lowest fare/lowest cost model which continues to grow profitably in Europe even during adverse market conditions, when many of our competitors are reporting losses.

Highlights of the past 12 months include:

After tax profit of €302m, an increase of 12% despite a 74% increase in fuel costs.
Cost discipline continues with a 6% unit cost reduction excluding fuel.
Average yields increased by 1% despite a 27% increase in capacity.
Significant traffic growth of 26% to 35m passengers, across 330 routes with 103 aircraft.
The retirement of our remaining B737-200’s, reduced the average age of Ryanair’s fleet to 2½ years, the youngest in Europe.
46 new routes and 1 new base have already been announced for the remainder of 2006.
Our balance sheet has been further strengthened with cash increasing €366m to €1.97 billion.
The key to Ryanair’s traffic and profit growth was our refusal to levy fuel surcharges on our passengers at a time when most other airlines in Europe are introducing or increasing them. In some cases other airline surcharges exceed our average fares. This is driving millions of passengers to Ryanair. We will continue to absorb significantly higher oil prices thanks to the benign yield environment and continuing unit cost reductions.

We have taken advantage of the recent short-term fall in oil prices to hedge 90% of our needs from June to October 2006 at an average price of $70 a barrel. The recent weakness in the dollar will help us to partially offset these higher oil prices. We remain unhedged from October onwards, and will continue to look for opportunities to hedge further into the future, but only if suitable pricing opportunities present themselves. As always hedging will eliminate near-term uncertainty and risk, it will not deliver lower costs during periods of rising oil prices.

Ryanair’s inexorable growth in aircraft, routes and passengers continues. Over the coming year we expect traffic to grow by 20% to 42m passengers. Traffic at our new bases in Liverpool, Nottingham East Midlands and Shannon is performing well, with strong advance bookings into the Summer months. The passenger response to our new French base at Marseille which will open in November has been very positive. We also expect to announce one or possibly two further bases for Spring 2007 and expansion of some of our existing bases before the end of the Summer.

We refuse to allow higher oil prices distract us from aggressively pursuing unit cost reductions and operating efficiencies. A number of recent initiatives will help our drive for lower costs and fares. Web based check-in and charging for bags are both running ahead of expectations. After some initial delays with the roll out of web check-in we are now seeing flights with over 50% of passengers using our web check-in and priority boarding facility. Charging for check-in bags has encouraged passengers to travel with fewer and in some cases zero check-in bags. Indications over the past two months suggest that this initiative may offset the anticipated decline in overall yields by more than €1 per passenger.

The winglet modification programme on our 737 fleet is proving effective with better aircraft performance and a 2% reduction in fleet fuel consumption, a saving which we believe can be improved over the coming year. Our operating performance continues to make Ryanair the No. 1 customer service airline in Europe. No other major or low cost airline can match Ryanair’s record for consistently high punctuality, with fewest lost bags and least flight cancellations.

Ancillary revenues continue to grow strongly. From an already high base we expect these revenues will grow at a faster rate than scheduled traffic for the coming year. We are close to finalising new initiatives to offer our customers mobile phone services on board in 2007 and website gambling which we believe will give a further boost to ancillary revenues in this fiscal year.

Negotiations on pilot pay were successfully concluded at 14 of our 15 bases (excluding Dublin) at the end of April. Pilots at 13 bases have voted for a one year deal with a basic pay increase of 1.8%, whilst the Luton base voted for a 4 year deal which incorporated a 5% pay increase this year, as well as improved rosters. The Dublin pilots continued to absent themselves from these direct negotiations with the company, as is their right and consequently they have not yet negotiated any pay increase this year.

We are also continuing to campaign for the breakup of the BAA airport monopoly in the UK. We welcome the OFT’s recent announcement that it is considering looking into the BAA’s monopoly over the main London Airports. It should examine why the BAA is pushing ahead with plans to spend some £4b on a second runway at Stansted that should only cost around £1b. The contradiction between the BAA’s position 3 months ago – that it couldn’t afford to build this runway in Stansted without doubling passenger charges – with its recent announcement that it will return over £1 billion to its shareholders this year, is typical of the overcharging monopoly. This clearly demonstrates how the BAA has been featherbedding its balance sheet, at the expense of airline users and the travelling public. It also proves that the CAA has failed to regulate this overcharging monopoly in the interests of users. Competition between the London airports will improve facilities and reduce costs. Regulation has clearly failed.

Ryanair’s fleet will increase by 30 aircraft between September 2006 and April 2007. We will launch a large number of new routes and bases at the worst time of the year, and we expect that Winter trading will be negatively effected by a combination of this capacity expansion, much higher oil prices (compared to last year) and further price dumping by loss making competitors who will be trying to survive next Winter.

Accordingly we remain cautious about our profit guidance for the coming year. Whilst we are confident that traffic will grow by 20% to 42m passengers and yields will be flat, we expect that profit growth will be more modest in the +5% to +10% range if oil prices remain at $70 a barrel. Profitability will also be more seasonally pronounced due to the presence of Easter in Q.1, the impact of competitor fuel surcharges, and the higher proportion of “sun routes operated this Summer. We expect that in excess of 85% of annual profits (compared to 80% last year) will be earned in the first half of this fiscal year, and thereafter profitability in Q.3 and Q.4 will be reduced (against last years comparables) as the proportion of annual profits earned in the last two quarters falls to less than 15% of the annual total.

It is Ryanair’s resolute commitment to offering the lowest fares in every market which has made us Europe’s largest low fares airline. Shortly we will become the “World’s Favourite” airline, as we expect to overtake Lufthansa’s international passenger traffic later this year, thereby making Ryanair the world’s largest international scheduled airline by passenger numbers. Ryanair will continue to deliver the lowest costs and the lowest air fares in Europe for the benefit of our customers, our people and our shareholders.”

stanstedpilot
6th Jun 2006, 13:58
On the ryanair website it is not possible to book any tickets between Sweden and the rest of Europe after the 28th of October 2006. Why is this?

It is fully possible to book between all other destinations and bases in Europe after the 28th of October. But not to and from Sweden??

Hmmm....

Dash-7 lover
6th Jun 2006, 14:01
28TH OCT would be the start of the Winter schedules so maybe they've not finalised their Swedish timetable yet??

triplerotor
6th Jun 2006, 14:06
I cant book DUB-REU after October either, I checked Dublin - Stansted too and have the same problem... maybe something to do with fuel hedging as Ryanair normally allow booking further ahead than this. I strongly doubt its related to route closures.

carbheaton
6th Jun 2006, 16:32
The Proof is in the balance sheet.

Ryanair has announced record after-tax profits of €302m for the year to the end of March, an increase of 12% on the previous 12-month period.
The airline also said today that its passenger numbers were up 26% to 35 million during the year, with 46 new routes coming on stream.

Ryanair says its decision not to impose surcharges due to rising fuel costs was the key to its growth over the period.

LGS6753
6th Jun 2006, 20:28
No doubt these are excellent results, but what is the balance sheet effect and P&L effect of selling & leasing back 738s?

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
7th Jun 2006, 11:40
MOL was "interviewed" on BBC Look East last night and stated that RYR would no longer be looking to expand out of STN because apart from the horrendous BAA charges (or some such similar phrase) there was no room to expand further. He went on to say that expansion would be elsewhere .. with inference being "not in the UK".

worldwidewolly
9th Jun 2006, 08:05
Southwest President Ms. Colleen Barrett has severely criticised Ryanairs treatment of passengers in a recent interview for television.

''I would describe his airline (Michel O' Learys) as a cheap airline and when I say that I mean no disrespect. We pride ourselves on being a low fares carrier but I don't think we are cheap.'

She went on to say 'I can't see myself telling someone they got to pay to check their bag in or to carry their bag on.'

'I feel too proud of what our people have done that I wouldn't say he has copied our complete model'

PAXboy
9th Jun 2006, 08:30
Ms Barrett of SouthwestI mean no disrespect which, clearly, she does. :cool:

If only MoL had ears but he has taken a reliable marketing formula and applied it to airlines, thus benefitting from being the first to do so.

buttline
9th Jun 2006, 08:42
Cheap and nasty nicely describes RYR management... Wonder if The Camel will even show up on this thread - doubt it.

speedrestriction
9th Jun 2006, 08:57
Cheap and nasty?

How's about affordable and simple. While possibly not the most popular airline among the pilot fraternity, they have provided a huge number of jobs, they have kick-started quite a number of local economies and have provided air travel to hundreds of thousands of people who couldn't have dreamt of affording air travel 15-20 years ago.

sr

atyourcervix73
9th Jun 2006, 09:12
How's about affordable and simple. While possibly not the most popular airline among the pilot fraternity, they have provided a huge number of jobs, they have kick-started quite a number of local economies and have provided air travel to hundreds of thousands of people who couldn't have dreamt of affording air travel 15-20 years ago.
Which is precisely what Southwest have done, in case you havent noticed:hmm:
There are huge differences between Ryanair and Southwest, however a couple of key things come to mind from a SLF's point of view.
1. Dont expect any customer service from Ryanair, at Southwest you receive a similar level of service to a full-service airline..:ok:
2. Most of the Cabin crew speak english as a FIRST language unlike Ryanair.
3. A genuine attempt is made by Southwest to provide a pleasant experience (within the confines of a Lo Co model)..anyone here felt the same way about Ryanair?
As employees...the difference becomes more like night and day, and without going into tedious detail..I know who I would prefer to work for...and the name doesnt start with "R"
:)
Southwest are perfectly entitled to castigate Ryanair...after all, they are bigger than Ryan..and can afford better lawyers. :)

worldwidewolly
9th Jun 2006, 09:36
speedrestriction

And Gadaffi has revolutionised the medical system in Libya.

Southwest have done all of those things without being cheap (in the personal sense).
What is your point?

anotherthing
9th Jun 2006, 09:39
Southwest are succesful in their territory, Ryanair is succesful over here, in theres.

What does Ms. Barrett know about the European market with regards to passenger requirements, Passenger's disposable income, Route charges, fuel charges etc (especially compared to the States)??

Does she have the full picture available to her to lambast MoL?? He has done very well over here - of course southwest are bigger - look at the difference in population for Gods sake!

If she has the perfect model, let her come over here and try it - without using any resources form the highly sucessfuul and popular Southwest. That would make the competition fair!

buttline
9th Jun 2006, 09:44
Speedrestriction,

I see from your profile you are student pilot - that's great - I hope your course is going well - it's certainly a good time to get qualified.

Maybe you're considering Ryanair when you qualify? Why not, it'd be great to get a first job on a 737 right? Many of us did.

Just an example for you - one of my friends has just been offered a place as a cadet with Ryanair. The deal is:-

he has to pay for his own 737 rating (20k plus)
he receives no salary or payments at all during training
he has to pay all his own accommodation / transport / meal costs during simulator AND line training (40+) sectors for which they can send you anywhere in Europe
Once his base check is complete his salary is £680 a month
He gets NO SECTOR pay at all for 6 months after base saftey pilot release
Half sector pay for the following 6 months

I know young cadets who are so short of money they are sleeping in cars and relying on cabin crew to give them a muffin when they go to work for 12 hours. Ryanair management are nasty.

Don't even get me started on how they treat the cabin crew.. let's just say cheap and nasty is an understatement.

And all this while they post record profits of 302 million!

worldwidewolly
9th Jun 2006, 09:48
Anotherthing

You have clearly not read or possibly understood what she said.
Ryanair are very successful financially, no question.
She criticized Ryanairs treatment of passengers. That has nothing to do
with location, customer care is customer care.

As for your comment ref. population I suggest you retake Geography, you will find that the population of Europe far exceeds The USA with a far greater density of population.

BEagle
9th Jun 2006, 10:05
As far as locos go, Southwest seems far more like the late, very much missed, buzz.

That was a loco which offered a very pleasant travelling experience indeed!

It would be very interesting indeed if the president of Southwest were to travel incognito on Ryanair and then to report her findings!

RogerIrrelevant69
9th Jun 2006, 10:35
speedrestriction does tell one side of the story when he says:

"How's about affordable and simple. While possibly not the most popular airline among the pilot fraternity, they have provided a huge number of jobs, they have kick-started quite a number of local economies and have provided air travel to hundreds of thousands of people who couldn't have dreamt of affording air travel 15-20 years ago. "

But I would add cheap and nasty for the pax too. I think the service levels on your average cattle wagon are probably higher. But you get what you pays for I suppose.

Given a choice between joining SouthWest and Ryanair I think know who would have the longer queue. However SouthWest require closer to 2000 hours than 200. So obviously some will take up the muffin diet just to get started.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
9th Jun 2006, 11:03
As an example of SLF, I've flown with both Ryanair and SouthWest.

There is simply no contest ... SouthWest treat you like a human being .. Ryanair do not. I no longer fly Ryanair unless I can avoid it. Sadly some European SLF who have only flown lo-co with Ryanair think that they are the norm.

Desert Diner
9th Jun 2006, 11:18
Having flown on both airlines on a multitude of times. I have to agree, Southwest is a class act why Ryannair is cheap and nasty.

Saying that, I will fly on Ryanair again as I know I will normaly find the cheapest price with them, and I am prepared to accept what I pay for.

Southwest on the other hand do not necessarily have the cheapest fairs anymore.

You get what you pay for.

Boy
9th Jun 2006, 11:27
Southwest on the other hand do not necessarily have the cheapest fairs anymore. I think you will find that the same is true of Ryanair. In fact it is always worth checking out the "high cost" airlines which can surprise on occasions!

T668BFJ
9th Jun 2006, 11:36
Lets not actually forget Flybe were the first to introduce paying to load your bags.

Is there a reason that everything is always Ryanairs fault, or is it just sport something you dont agree with therefore oh what the hell lets blame Ryanair.

In some measure or another, hidden or not everything Ryanair does most others do.

2. Most of the Cabin crew speak english as a FIRST language unlike Pikey.

Yeah and they are mostly American which is mostly English Speaking or Spanish/hispanic
Ryanair covers all of europe, and under EU law employs from all of europe, hence not everyones first language is English.
Same as in all others threads, you cant do a comparison unless it is like for like. These maybe both Lo-Co's but certainly nothing like each other

SFI145
9th Jun 2006, 11:38
one of my friends has just been offered a place as a cadet with Ryanair. The deal is:-
he has to pay all his own accommodation / transport / meal costs during simulator AND line training (40+) sectors for which they can send you anywhere in Europe
I think it is a sobering thought for all of us in the airline industry (and especially those considering mortgaging houses to pay for their training) that what we are talking about here are the lucky few who actually get a job at all at the end of their training.

10secondsurvey
9th Jun 2006, 11:54
Anotherthing,

As SLF I would dearly love Southwest to come over to Europe. Maybe they will. JetBlue would also be very welcome. Might just make Ryanair get to grips with passenger satisfaction and customer service.

allanmack
9th Jun 2006, 12:17
Good grief. The slightest comment and the FR bashers are out in force again with exaggeration to the fore. The original comments hardly constitute a 'slamming' and as several posters have commented Ryanair are successful in their own marketplace.

In my experience 'cheap' as regards fares they are, 'nasty' they are not. Obviousy some people have had bad experiences (mostly because they do not read or even want to understand the rules) but personally I have had more bad experiences and inept customer service from some of the 'full fare' airlines like BA & BMI than I have had with Ryanair.

As for the guys who made comments about FR pilots not speaking English - get a grip - I take it you guys will never fly with any 'foreign' airline!:rolleyes:

anotherthing
9th Jun 2006, 12:20
10secondsurvey -

you miss my point - Does Ms. Barrettt understand the costs of things over here??

I would love to see competition in the form of an airline like southwest; I just think that with the higher fuel costs etc, MoL is doing a very good job, business wise.

The way he treats his staff is another issue; though despite all the threads warning about how pilots are treated, they still flock to ryr, then complain.

worldwidewolly -

2 things... if the customers are treated so badly, why are the numbers on the increase, yet again. If you pay very low prices, something has to give; it's not as if RYR are flying as tired fleet of A/C and saving money that way.

Population - I am more than aware of how many people there are in europe and in the US. However, it's a hell of a lot easier for 1 american company to provide a service to all of it's own population than it is for one company (RYR) to try to break into foreign european countries. Despite all the talk about a united European Union, our friends on the continent do not bend over and take things so easily as our governement seems to. Because of this indigenous population, Southwests immediate customer base is far larger.

vancouv
9th Jun 2006, 12:27
I'm no fan of Ryanair, and I have sympathy for pilots being taken on under the condiditons described by buttline, but the harsh reality is that they get away with it because they can. If they couldn't recruit any pilots, they would have to change their conditions. The reality is that new ATPL holders will put up with anything to get at the pointy end of a jet, and if that means accepting grotty conditions in the hope that the likes of BA will show an interest later, so be it. While that continues the likes of Ryanair will take advantage.

SLFStuckInTheBack
9th Jun 2006, 12:39
The bottom line is that the majority of pax are only looking for the cheapest flight that goes to roughly where they want to go - or at least what they believe to be the cheapest one through the magic of advertising. They really don't care how they are treated etc. as long as they get to where they want - and treat the flight as though it were just a bus or train journey - and view the pilots as just better trained bus/train drivers!

Very few people will pay extra to fly with an airline because of moral objections to how the cheaper airlines treat their pax/staff. I am proud to be one of those merry few - and have/do/will pay extra - but I bet RyanAir could not care less.

Until pax start voting with their feet and stop using them, RyanAir will continue to go from strength to strength. For things to change, it will require that a cheaper competitor emerges (which is unlikely) or there is an accident that can be laid at the feet of the management. So in a perverse way, I have to hope that they do continue to be successful - because the majority of the pax will not change their views or perceptions.

*Zwitter*
9th Jun 2006, 12:45
They really don't care how they are treated etc. as long as they get to where they want - and treat the flight as though it were just a bus or train journey - and view the pilots as just better trained bus/train drivers!
ns.

Exactly - it is just a bus ride - no magic, or glamour, just get on, sit for a while and get off.

Maybe we should tip the driver...

SLFStuckInTheBack
9th Jun 2006, 13:08
Zwitter,

If we did then perhaps the cadets would be able to afford to eat and sleep in proper beds?

The downside though is that I am sure some evil management type would then assume that the average tip for flight and cabin crew would be x euros and then reduce the pay by that amount (or more?). I hope I have not given any evil management types any ideas!

EI-CFC
9th Jun 2006, 13:08
That was a loco which offered a very pleasant travelling experience indeed!

Indeed..and look what happened to them. Oh yeah, they lost shedloads of money and got gobbled up at a bargain price by.....Ryanair.

As SLF I would dearly love Southwest to come over to Europe. Maybe they will. JetBlue would also be very welcome. Might just make Ryanair get to grips with passenger satisfaction and customer service.

They might, but they'd probably be driven back. The marketplace here is very different from the USA, plus it would be more likely to drive Ryanair into a price war - and look how that has ended up for other airlines who have tried to intrude on Ryanair's territory. Not very well - Ryanair simply undercut them until they bled so much they had to pull out.

epreye
9th Jun 2006, 13:14
Judging by what I have read here, many of you jumping to condemn Ryanair did not see the interview. You are just diving in, at the first opportunity to slam the airline for whatever reasons you may have. The thread title is misleading.

I DID see the interview. The lady did NOT slam Ryanair, but she did point out the difference in culture between Ryanair & Southwest, and in fact, she and the programme makers were complimentary of MO'L's skill to turn a huge lossmaker into such a profitable organisation. He was also complimented for his "cojones" to place one of the biggest aircraft orders ever, when the airline business was heading for collapse after 9/11. Unfortunately no-one can deny his ability to make a buck.

I have no allegiance to Ryanair, but you get what you pay for, and probably expect no more or no less. Their recruitment and HR policies might leave a lot to be desired, but most of their crew that I know, are a happy bunch and have no plans to leave, contrary to what some contributors would have us believe.

I do not like the experience of travelling (occasionally) on their aircraft, but they give a service, and I am prepared to accept it whenever I use them. At times they are no worse than some of the legacy carriers. If they gave a seat allocation, it could take away much of the hassle.

I take particular exception to the post from atyourcervix73. The word "Pikey" is a most derogatory term, which has an Irish background, and I consider it to be racist. From your ratings, you do not work for Ryanair, and while you state your "opinion" to be "humble", I think it is either a direct result of your education, or some sort of superiority complex. I would appreciate if you would withdraw the remark.

Being Irish, like the programme makers, I am happy to see two very successful Irishmen (like them or not) at the helm of two of the biggest european airlines.

JamesT73J
9th Jun 2006, 13:18
[QUOTE=buttline]
one of my friends has just been offered a place as a cadet with Ryanair. The deal is:-
I think it is a sobering thought for all of us in the airline industry (and especially those considering mortgaging houses to pay for their training) that what we are talking about here are the lucky few who actually get a job at all at the end of their training.

Apologies for the derail, but I keep reading this, and I can't believe it. How can people afford to do this?

atyourcervix73
9th Jun 2006, 13:30
I DID see the interview. The lady did NOT slam Ryanair, but she did point out the difference in culture between Ryanair & Southwest, and in fact, she and the programmer makers were complimentary of Moll's skill to turn a huge loss maker into such a profitable organization. He was also complimented for his "cojones" to place one of the biggest aircraft orders ever, when the airline business was heading for collapse after 9/11. Unfortunately no-one can deny his ability to make a buck.

It just so happens I saw the interview as well, which is why you will note the comments I made are balanced and without prejudice.
As for the "pikey" word...well feel free to be offended by my comments to suit your own indignant sounding position (and just for clarification here, my terms of reference are different to yours..so that makes me racist?..get real..:hmm: I wonder if I'm also racist on account of my dislike of black jelly beans?)
As for the remaining content of the programme, yes there was a certain admiration expressed by the success MOL and his merry band, this did not however disguise the impression that Southwest view's Ryanair's management style as rather distasteful.:)

worldwidewolly
9th Jun 2006, 13:42
atyourcervix

I saw the programme and my quotes are word for word without contradiction.
You can draw your own conclusions or use your own discription.

I repeat again, nobody disputes Ryanairs financial sucess. The point I am making is she described them as 'cheap' (not referring to the price of tickets).

I don't see how I am off the mark in saying 'she slams Ryanair'

She was complimentary of their success but described them as cheap in their treatment of passengers, which was the only point I was making.
She was keen not to have Southwest associated with this type of treatment of passengers.

It was hardly a compliment.

Please, tell me where I am wrong.

atyourcervix73
9th Jun 2006, 14:22
Worldwide...read my post again....Im agreeing with you:ok:

The comments I have highlighted are from a previous poster who has taken umbrage to my "pikey" comment.

You are exactly on the money regarding Southwest's opinion of Ryanairs passenger handling.

the grim repa
9th Jun 2006, 14:39
www - do you have a link to the interview.all can watch and draw their own conclusions.

Loose rivets
9th Jun 2006, 18:29
I repeat again, nobody disputes Ryanairs financial sucess.

Firstly, define financial success. I watched a program last night about lending poverty-stricken people in Bangladesh a few pennies so that they could escape from the money lenders. A woman was trapped into a deal that kept her next to starvation. The money lender called the shots, and she was in effect a slave.

Would this money lender be considered to be a success? It is an extreme interpellation, but flight crew do not need to be burdened like this while in an intensive stage of the training. Which brings me to the next point.

Far more importantly, just what is the minimum experience of the crews? To find a very low hour pilot in the right hand seat is just a little better than single-crewing a jet transport aircraft when the going get rough. Sure, for years nothing will test this concept, but it will one day, and I wouldn't want my family on that aircraft when it does.

I have spent some years beside bright young people who never miss a beat. They are tomorrow's captains, but for now their professionalism is a facade. The odd times that something went really pear-shaped, the low hour folk were way, way back on the steep end of the learning curve. Of course, this is what one would expect, but in those days, there was a shot-gun experienced guy ready to lean over his shoulder, or even takes his seat....Oh, and let's face it, pull my convulsing body out of my seat should I have a physiological systems failure.

Shanwickman
9th Jun 2006, 18:42
Epreye

I think that if atyourcervix73 had a superior education then he might have done a better job of the spelling..........i before e except after c

atyourcervix73
9th Jun 2006, 18:50
1st post edited for the I before E except after C Brigade (but there..or should I say their? are exceptions)

Leo Hairy-Camel
9th Jun 2006, 19:24
Firstly, define financial success.
Ok. How's this (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=06&month=jun&story=reg-en-060606) to get you started.
It is an extreme interpellation
Nope, a ridiculous, highly offensive and invalid comparison.
Far more importantly, just what is the minimum experience of the crews?
Anyone, and I mean anyone, who makes it onto the Ryanair line and manages to stay there, is a highly capable airman, a determined individual, and demonstrably of above average ability. Character and maturity are the determinants in qualitative terms of any pilot in any airline, its just that in Ryanair, the quality of our people is far more important than in big, fur-lined, loss making legacy carriers who fly from 10000 feet long ILS to 10000 feet long ILS with 90 minute turn arounds in between, because our operation is more extreme. Shotguns and convulsing bodies nothwithstanding, of course.:rolleyes:

essexboy
9th Jun 2006, 20:14
Once again the thread slides to : Ryanair pilots are all crap : I too find this offensive. Come and give it a go if you think your hard enough.

epreye
9th Jun 2006, 20:39
Shanwickman,

I am glad to see that his/her (?) particularly odious remarks in the first post have been edited and removed.

With bigoted remarks like that, it is very hard to take the poster seriously.

While I am not a proponent of Ryanair, I find it incredible to see every mention of their name arouse such open hostility.

There is no question that they are not highly regarded from an HR perspective, and offended staff members have a right to air their views.

But many of the posters seem to have no connection with the airline, just a strong will to knock it, every chance they get. What is their agenda ? If they have nothing to do with the airline, should they not leave fighting the HR war, to those that have ?

All of us in the aviation industry have an interest in T&C's, but I don't see Ryanair staff on this forum with open hostility towards other airlines.

Also, I find it amazing how two different people watching the same programme can come away with such different views.

Loose rivets
9th Jun 2006, 21:05
It was a simple question. I don't know the minimum hours for a new F/Officer in Ryanair, but some of the text seemed to imply that it could be minimal. So, I asked.

There is no point in going into thread slippage if FL's requirements are greater than implied. But I feel that my argument is valid as a basic principal.

I gave my opinion about very low hour pilots, an opinion to which I'm entitled after some of the bewildering things that I have witnessed in the last 40 years.

I have, in my last years flying, jumped a jet transport flight in the UK which was crewed by a 60+ and a <300 hour pilot. The young man was technically a smooth operator until the height-lock was missed by the PF (the Capt) and also the F/Officer. I left it as long as I dared before prompting. My formal assessment of that incident, was that the Captain's distraction was valid in this case, but that more careful monitoring of the flight by the PNF should be ....'encouraged.'

All the bluster in the world won't alter the fact that new pilots of low hours do not, and can not be expected to, cope with the hopefully rare extreme situation. ..and yes, this includes the captain's incapacity.

757manipulator
9th Jun 2006, 21:57
I don't know why anyone is surprised by the depth of feeling expressed on here.
On the one hand we have our friend Mr Hairy Camel, spouting his usual propaganda based I guess in no small part to those rose coloured glasses, although should RYR management ever come to a sudden stop, they may have to consult a proctologist to remove the camel man:p
On the other hand it seems that several posters on here are living under the false impression that RYR constitute one part of the axis of evil.
I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between, interestingly I know a number of current & ex RYR flightcrew who have by their own admission made their bed, and now have to lie in it.
Ive traveled on RYR, positioning as crew for my employer and Ive found the service to be adequate, although to be fair I couldn't understand one word of the PA's, and one of the emergency exits was blocked by luggage that wasn't picked up on the last flight from DUB-LGW.
Ive also traveled extensively with Southwest, and again hand on heart there is no comparison. So it is clear that we are not comparing apples with apples, or more appropriately potatoes with apples:ok:

essexboy
10th Jun 2006, 08:12
Loose Rivets
"I have, in my last years flying, jumped a jet transport flight in the UK which was crewed by a 60+ and a <300 hour pilot. The young man was technically a smooth operator until the height-lock was missed by the PF (the Capt) and also the F/Officer. I left it as long as I dared before prompting. My formal assessment of that incident, was that the Captain's distraction was valid in this case, but that more careful monitoring of the flight by the PNF should be ....'encouraged.' "

So nothing to do with hours and experience then. The old blokes in your company are just as incompetent as the young inexperienced ones.

Loose rivets
10th Jun 2006, 15:51
No, the point I made was that the captain had a very valid reason to be distracted.

It was an aircraft type that I had thousands of hours on, and the height lock was usually very positive and reliable. Sod's law, the maker of many an accident, dictated that the distraction coincided with a failure of the system to lock the height. Ironically, it was the captain's very smooth reduction of vertical rate that made the detection of the fault (by sensing g forces ) give an added clue to the failure.

I would have hoped that by 1,000 hours, this young man would have had such an improved general awareness, that he would have picked up on the error. I have noticed that some pilots that seem to take a while to ‘settle in', turn out to be very good operators later on. It's one of my personal foibles, but I thought that the preposterous amount of paperwork the p2 was coping with was contributory in this case.

Really, this incident was very minor. I have experienced things over the years that would have to be seen to be believed. It was just that the crew fitted a profile that was germane.

Character and maturity are the determinants in qualitative terms of any pilot in any airline, its just that in Ryanair, the quality of our people is far more important than in big, fur-lined, loss making legacy carriers who fly from 10000 feet long ILS to 10000 feet long ILS with 90 minute turn arounds in between, because our operation is more extreme. Shotguns and convulsing bodies nothwithstanding, of course.

I see that Leo Hairy-Camel is again chanting his mantra on a different thread. I didn't need the year's financial reports in detail, the bottom line had already been spelled out. It is the means of getting this bottom line that is in question.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who makes it onto the Ryanair line and manages to stay there, is a highly capable airman, a determined individual, and demonstrably of above average ability.

Well, given that you have cornered the market on young chaps with ‘above average ability' then you won't mind answering the question. I hear rather frightening figures bandied about, so just what are the lowest hours for a fully operational F/Officer?

My ‘offensive' comparison was more to do with the young chaps that are having to cope with such financial burdens, while trying to achieve skilled professional standards for the first time. Their costs are likely to have been more than they had ever planned on, then this nonsense bearing down on them while £ billions lie in the bank. They probably can't ‘escape' without financial ruin, and that is the comparison. If young pilots really are in the situation described earlier, then not only are they inexperienced, but also burdened with other issues that are counter to safety.

Heaven knows, as a young man I would have loved to work for a company that kept me airborne to the max on short haul; it is what I loved to do back then. However, to carry on for years, while raising a family, looking after old folk...in other words, living a life, under this kind of pressure, is IMO not acceptable. More of this amazing ‘success' should be invested into a more structured career for the young pilot.

bia botal
11th Jun 2006, 10:08
MOL mistake, our loss!

The Sunday Times - Business

The Sunday Times June 11, 2006

And finally . . . Oil spike teaches O'Leary a hard lesson in hedging

IT wasn’t supposed to be like this. When Michael O’Leary, the Ryanair boss, decided a few years ago to expand the fleet with hundreds of new Boeings, the assumption was the airline could grow profits in line with passenger numbers. But it hasn’t turned out that way. Though Ryanair carried 26% more people in the year to March 2006, profits advanced by only 12%.
The soaring cost of jet fuel is mostly to blame. If the price had remained static last year, Ryanair’s profits would have come in at about €400m instead of the €306m it posted. Ryanair’s fuel charge rose 76% year-on-year as O’Leary and shareholders paid the price for not hedging.

For many years, Ryanair’s bottom line had benefited from insuring against oil price increases. But in November 2003, when the oil price took off, Ryanair stopped its forward hedging policy. In June 2004, when it looked like the problems in the Middle East were abating, O’Leary was confident oil prices would return to 2003 levels. “It would be unwise to lock in at the current high forward rates,” he said. “Our view is prices will fall this winter or next year and only then will we hedge, in order to benefit from such reductions.”

By June 2005, the grim reality of rising oil prices had softened his cough and he locked in at $49 a barrel, though only from October 2005 to March 2006. Once again, he was hoping against hope that the price momentum would swing his way. Last Easter Ryanair was again unhedged and the price of a barrel of oil was more than $60 and rising. So O’Leary took the plunge again, hedging at $70 a barrel, but only until October.

O’Leary told shareholders last week: “We will continue to look for opportunities to hedge again, but only if suitable pricing opportunities present themselves.”

Someone should buy O’Leary a copy of Peak Oil so he will be fully apprised of what the world looks like without cheap fuel.

Founder
12th Jun 2006, 21:48
There was an article in today's papers all over Sweden about Ryan Air and several other companies planing on leaving Sweden due to a new flight tax which the Swedish government will introduce next year.

When asked when they are planing on starting the cut backs off traffic to Sweden, the answer was: in october this year.

When asked why Ryan Air are making these threats:
Ryan Air spokesman said, it's not a threat its a promise...

FlyMe and FlyNordic are planing on halting all expansion in Sweden and concentrating on Norway and Denmark who has just removed their flight taxes.

The tax in Sweden will be 180 SKR (20€) for international flights and 100 SKR (12€) for domestic flights.

Joe le Taxi
12th Jun 2006, 23:44
For once, good on Ryanair.

There are far too many unfairly disriminating taxes on aviation that only serve to (perversely) increase emissions. This may be due to tankering fuel from regions of lower fuel price (in the case of a fuel tax) increasing total fuel burn, or simply people being priced onto more polluting methods of transport such as cars or trains; (Yes trains - Think of the level of noise of a train times the number of people exposed to this noise at close quarters).

Pigsfly
13th Jun 2006, 00:00
Ah,

you see as a first hand witness of RYANOLOGY, its evident that this tax would not encourage a pull out, but it would be an ideal EXCUSE for them to escape for some other reason. It will not hit the Ryan coffers, because as usual thy would just pass iton to the pax anyway.

Perhaps the real reason for a pull out, and broken promises, would be the proximity of other baltic states, ripe for plundering.

The FR Vikings are coming!

RYAN SPIN

angels
13th Jun 2006, 13:27
Folks - this is the latest from the London Stock Exchange.

Ryanair Responds to Latest Abusive Attempt by Air France to Block

Competition in France

Ryanair, Europe's largest low fares airline, today (Tuesday, 13th June 2006)
announced that it has filed a further complaint to the European Commission on
Air France's latest attempt to block competition from low fares airlines in
France. Last month, Ryanair announced that it would base 2 new aircraft at
Marseille Airport, which will serve 13 routes and deliver almost 1 million
additional passengers annually to the airport, which equates to a e100 million
in savings to French consumers and visitors to France off the high fares of Air
France. However, Air France announced today that it had filed an action in the
French Conseille d'Etat against Marseille Airport in an attempt to block
Ryanair's use of this new low cost terminal - despite the fact that the tariff
for using this facility is published and has been agreed by the French Civil
Aviation Authority.

Commenting today on this latest abuse by Air France, Ryanair's Head of
Regulatory Affairs, Jim Callaghan, said:

"This is the latest in a long line of abuses by Air France to protect
their strangle-hold on the French market:

1. Air France succeeded in blocking competition from Ryanair on the London to
Strasbourg route. The result has been predictable, Air France is again
ripping off consumers with e800 return fares and passenger numbers have
plummeted from 20,000 per month to just over 2,000.

2. Air France also blocked competition from easyJet in Bale-Mulhouse by again
resorting to the local courts.

3. Now Air France is trying to prevent Ryanair from using lower cost facilities
in Marseille Provence Airport, which were offered to Air France but were
rejected.

"Ryanair has therefore today submitted a further complaint to the
European Commission against Air France on the basis of an abuse of
dominance under the European competition rules. In no other European
member state does the national airline hold such a dominant position and
engage in such abusive practices in order to block competition.

"Last month, Ryanair filed a complaint to the European Commission
regarding approximately e1 billion worth of state aid that Air France
has received from the French Government in the form of subsidised
domestic landing and passenger fees. This illegal state aid has enabled
Air France to dominate the French market and force smaller competitors
off the market.

"If Jean-Cyrille Spinetta is truly concerned about "equality", then he
should:

1. have accepted Marseille Airport's offer of lower cost, efficient facilities
instead of abusing the French Court system to prevent competition.

2. stop ripping off French consumers and start charging the same fares as
Ryanair.

3. start paying the same landing fees on domestic traffic as Ryanair has to pay
on international flights instead of receiving illegal subsidies from the
French Government.

"We are calling on the European Commission to put an end to Air France's
abusive practices in the French market and to promote competition from
low fares airlines, which have been successful in bringing low fares,
competition and choice to every other European Member State, except
France!"

Ends. Tuesday, 13th June 2006

For reference:
Peter Sherrard - Ryanair Pauline McAlester - Murray Consultants

Tel: +353-1-8121228 Tel: +353-4980300

Editor's Note:

Ryanair has announced 13 routes to commence from Marseille Airport in
November 2006 - Brussels Charleroi; Eindhoven; Karlsruhe Baden;
Frankfurt Hahn; London Stansted; Rome Ciampino; Dublin; Glasgow
Prestwick; Porto; Fez (Morocco); Marracech (Morocco); Oujda (Morocco);
and Oslo Torp.

LGS6753
13th Jun 2006, 19:12
I was sitting in an English pub last night about a mile from a Ryanair base and heard one of their pilots telling his companion that he was very satisfied with his lot. Decent rosters, 4 sector days, 5 on-5 off, home every night, no night flying, new aircraft, local base, etc. He said he didn't care 'what colour the aircraft is painted', just wanted a decent job on reasonable terms, which he had.

I was pleased to hear a senior, experienced employee being positive. After all, as we know there are plenty of people prepared to 'Knock' Ryanair.:}

Irish Steve
14th Jun 2006, 10:19
I'm going to be very straightforward about this.

Flew on an early morning flight from Dublin to Bristol last weekend, first flight of the day. Seated in Row 5, and 1-4 were blocked off.

Made the mistake of ordering 2 coffees, as the supposed facilities in the new Pier A extension at DUB also suck, in that they don't operate early enough to provide service to people on departures before 0630.

Price of 2 coffees E5.20, which in itself is not exactly pleasing. Tendered E5.50, being the closest I could get to the price. "We've no change"!!

First flight of the day, on a Dublin based aircraft, paying in the currency of the country that the aircraft is based in, and they've no change?

Ok, I was "lucky", I had some change, but where does it end?

Bottom line. Cheap and nasty little way of robbing people.

Not impressed, not at all, and I'm not about to waste even more money sending them a letter that's unlikely to produce a result, being as there's no way to E-mail them. Gougers, plain and simple.

I'm not even going to start on the implications of an emergency situation that requires english skills beyond the basic "aviation" english, I reckon there were at least 5 nationalities represented among the 6 operating crew. The PA's and flight deck announcements were "interesting" to put it mildly, and I'd be a lot more concerned about the ability of such a crew to adequately communicate in a common language that is not their first language if they were under severe pressure as the result of an "incident".

Gpik
14th Jun 2006, 12:59
With all due respect mate, the only way anything will ever change at Ryanair is if people vote with their feet, people dont so Ryanair continue to charge the prices they do ad act the way they sometimes do, its all good and well moaning about it but Im sure like many other people you will continue to fly with them and give them cause to get away with their little "scams" as some people call it.:ugh:

Buster the Bear
14th Jun 2006, 13:18
I have flown on many occasions with Ryanair and I have nothing but praise for their product. The value of the flight far outweighs the price paid for it.

Paying an additional 30 cents for drinks is hardly robbery? Whenever I have flown without the correct change the Ryanair cabin crew always return with the correct change at some point during the flight.

brian_dromey
14th Jun 2006, 14:42
With all due respect mate, the only way anything will ever change at Ryanair is if people vote with their feet, people dont

I used to be quite a fan of FR but after my last 'exprience' I for one will never fly FR again, if I can help it, Barbra Cassiani described FR as being like"a cheap flying pub" and shes right. FR are only slightly ceaper than a proper airline, and the stress just is not worth it.

To be honest FR are bullys, they bullyd GO off the scotland routes and they are trying to bully easyJet off the LGW routes.

Final point, does anyone find it interesting that FR called the Comission 'the evil empire' when it suited them and is now off crying to them when AF are defending their turf? Thats Irish!:rolleyes:

bycrewlgw
14th Jun 2006, 16:37
I have flown Ryanair in the past and would never fly them again! I know i'm just a small fish in a big pond and that FR don't care about my opinion (have written to them!!) but they certainly have lost my custom.

Gpik
14th Jun 2006, 17:25
AsI said before I hope you stick to your word as its the only way things will ever change.:bored:

ryan2000
14th Jun 2006, 17:37
If I had a euro for everyone who says they won't fly with Ryanair I'd be able to retire. Yet their passenger totals rise and rise. Most people will jump at lower fares and ignore the hidden extras and the tedious journeys to and from remote airfields in Europe and heavily subsidised airports like Shannon.

They then return from their City Break and bore the rest of us with tales of woe about Ryanair. (No offence to bycrewlgw).

essexboy
14th Jun 2006, 22:55
My god if your coffee cost an extra 30 cents and the pilots a foreigners you are in imminent danger… blah blah blah. Give a pax a gold brick for a pound and it would be the wrong shape.

lorddee
15th Jun 2006, 00:49
and have always paid for the service i expect to receive " cheap " normally punctual service " friendly crew " and a nice brand new 737 -800 .It,s o.k. you lot slagging them off but you only get wht you pay for .If YOU Dont LIKE fr then fly someone else.
Just like any other loco LS/ESY/BE

VIKING9
15th Jun 2006, 07:33
Lets say they carried 10m passengers last year (and we all know it's more).

And lets say RYR charged each and every one of those passengers an extra 30cents because they "had no change for the coffee".

That's a tidy 3,000,000euro for doing............er nothing ! (edited for clarity - slip of the tongue - again)

Like the man said. While they run the scam, they will carry on running.

:D

Cyrano
15th Jun 2006, 08:32
...actually it's EUR3,000,000, but we know what you mean! :)

Runway 31
15th Jun 2006, 09:04
It's sad but not unexpected that a thread that starts off with a rumour that RYR are thinking of opening a base in Greece, turns into the usual bashing.

RogerIrrelevant69
15th Jun 2006, 09:32
OK it is off thread (who cares, apart from some early stuff about Greece, it has been for ages!) and I'm not here to bash 'em - I use them all the time and when I book early they are usually very very good value on Ireland-UK routes.

But this short change trick has being going on for years. They attempted to do it to me twice (last time 3 quid change owed which I had to ask for twice and finally begrudgingly received as I departed the a/c - I wasn't leaving - that's the price of a pint!) and from now on never order anything in-flight unless about to actually die from starvation or thirst.

It's not just me, many friends have reported same thing.

But is there a law of diminishing returns regarding this type of behaviour?

flare and touchdown!
15th Jun 2006, 16:39
Ryanair, have opened a new base at marseille, in the south of france. They are operating to Morroco in north africa from there. They have confirmed that they plan on having more bases this year, but they won't release any names until they are certain about aircraft being delivered from Boeing on-time (they've been havingg a few problems - aka - they hire EirJEt for some routes while the planes come in)

XSBaggage
16th Jun 2006, 02:12
Irish Steve,
I notice you have posted another thread on the 30 cents in the "Passengers and SLF" forum! It must have hurt real bad!!!! My question is it a "Rumour" or "News"? At LHR last week I waited for check in at least a minute longer than I should have because bmi had only 2 agents on duty. Now my dilemma is should I write to them to complain about the extra wear on my shoe leather or should I email? Is a stamp more expensive than the electricity my PC will use whilst I type the email. What I do know is they wont get away with it, crooks and bandits that they are!:p

XSB

allanmack
16th Jun 2006, 10:35
And my last pint at LHR had a head a couple of mm too large thus depriving me of much needed alcohol. :{

Irish Steve
16th Jun 2006, 12:33
My question is it a "Rumour" or "News"?

It's not rumour, as it's fact, and at this stage it's probably not news, as too many of us have got used to the massive decline in standards across the entire travelling experience.

Bottom line is that I'm probaby becoming a grumpy old man, and yes, it's a reaction to the way that travelling by air is becoming increasingly unpleasant, frustrating and downright nasty. I've been using airlines regularly for close on 35 years, and in the last few years, it's got to the point where while it's cheaper, the quality of the overall experience has been massively diminished by a whole range of issues. Things like rip off parking charges imposed by the airport authority, a local airport (Dublin) that's lost the plot completely in so many ways, security checks that can take up to an hour to get through, having to remove shoes and trouser belts to get through the security checks, poor or non existant catering facilities in the terminals, a terminal waiting area with 8 gates for aircraft 737-800 size, so possibly 1500 passengers waiting and only 250 seats, the inevitiable rugby scrum around the gate as soon as the inbound arrives........... It doesn't make much difference any more if a "LoCo" carrier is used, or a "full service" airline, as much of the "experience" before and after the flight is identical.

johnrizzo2000
16th Jun 2006, 18:36
I would love to see Ryanair open Dublin-Knock, Kerry, and Galway (if the runway was extended)! Does anyone know how the Dublin-Cork route is going?

Jamesie
16th Jun 2006, 19:51
Ryanair have me very concerned tonight. I realised I couldn't check in online for some reason and out of curiosity tried to check availabity on my flight for Monday to find:

Sorry, there are no available flights going out on Mon, 19 Jun 06
This may be because:

- The flight you have chosen is full
- The travel dates requested are for our next schedule period
and the fares/seats are not loaded for this date as yet
- There may not be a flight scheduled for this date

My flight is STN- Milan Bergamo on Monday 19 June. Even more concerning is there are no return flights to STN on the same day.

While I've had no e-mail informing me of a cancellation, I really hope this is not the case, especially given the "fog" which caused Ryanair cancellations at Brussels Charleroi today. :ugh:

Jamesie
16th Jun 2006, 19:53
And to make matters worse the call centre is closed for the weekend. So no way of trying to make alternative plans etc until I turn up at STN on Monday morning - whether the internet support can help me or not remains to be seen, but they'll charge me £1 a minute for the privilege tomorrow morning anyway :mad:

essexboy
17th Jun 2006, 08:40
Jamesie, the flights probably full. If you have already booked and have a locator you should be fine.

jack_essex
17th Jun 2006, 22:26
Don't worry, a lot of Ryanair's Stansted flights are usually fully booked.

luckyirishlad
19th Jun 2006, 00:16
Irish steve,

It sounds like your experiences with FR are flawed by DUB airport. Its honestly seems like its DUB thats giving you the stress, but because the particular section of the airport is FR dominated, u are associating it with FR.

If i had a penny (excuse the pun really for this circumstance) for every time i walked into Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi, Supervalu, even my local butchers, and was told ""ive no change"" and have had to walk away....Rest assured, i could buy FR!

in the circumstance, merely agree with the crew that you will pay for your item now, and you would be most obliged if they could bring you your change when it is available (when some other pax coughs up a load of 10c coins he has from the pub the night before!). Ive done this on FR, BA Connect, BMI, EI etc a million and one times, and theres never a problem. Change is always returned post haste too.

worldwidewolly
19th Jun 2006, 07:52
Sunday Independent: June 18th 2006

O'Leary and his duff decisions

NOTHING, it seems, can stop Ryanair. This year the budget airline is planning to carry 42 million passengers. If it does, it will overtake Lufthansa to become the world's largest scheduled airline measured by the number of passengers carried.

While it might seem churlish to spoil Ryanair's party, the fact is that motormouth O'Leary is not quite infallible - and what's more, some of his mistakes have ended up costing Ryanair's shareholders a hell of a lot of money. So we decided to glory in them.

FUEL HEDGING O'Leary's most expensive mistake was undoubtedly his refusal to hedge Ryanair's exposure to rising fuel costs by buying fuel forward and locking in lower fuel prices. This meant that Ryanair had no protection as aviation fuel costs soared skywards. Last year the airline spent €462m on fuel, an increase of 74 per cent on the previous year.

If Ryanair had been able to lock in fuel prices even $10 (€7.80) below the spot price, it would have added about €70m to last year's profits.

EUROPE While Ryanair has already repaid €4m in subsidies, that was only a small part of the cost of the Charleroi debacle. Make no mistake about it, gratuitously annoying the EU Commission was not a good idea.

By turning down the offer of a cosmetic compromise and publicly abusing the Commission, which had objected to Ryanair's sweetheart deal with the Walloon regional government that owns Charleroi, O'Leary has made powerful enemies in Brussels. Enemies who have long memories and are in a position to inflict serious damage on Ryanair.

GEOGRAPHY Whatever it was the Jesuits taught the young O'Leary during his time at Clongowes, geography doesn't seem to have been on the curriculum. Ryanair's Frankfurt-Hahn hub is virtually in Luxembourg, while Paris-Beauvais is closer to the northern French city of Amiens than it is to the French capital.

However, it was Ryanair advertising flights to "Copenhagen" a few years back that really took the Mickey, if you'll pardon the pun. On closer examination it emerged that the flights were not to Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark, but to Malmo in Sweden.

NO DIVIDENDS With its growth rapidly slowing, O'Leary's refusal to pay a dividend is now starting to hurt the share price. While the airline almost quadrupled passenger numbers to 35 million over the past five years, it is forecasting that passenger numbers will double to just under 70 million by 2011.

DUBLIN AIRPORT By pursuing a pointless vendetta against Aer Rianta over its plans to expand Dublin Airport and refusing to start any new routes out of Dublin for several years, O'Leary allowed Aer Lingus to open a slew of new routes.

Having a free run at these new European routes was one of the key reasons Willie Walsh was able to bring Aer Lingus back from the dead. With Aer Lingus rapidly evolving into a sort of Ryanair-lite, O'Leary had no option but to eat humble pie and start operating new routes out of Dublin.

CUSTOMER RELATIONS While O'Leary might view customer relations as an expensive irrelevance, treating the paying public in such a cavalier manner could yet come back to haunt Ryanair. O'Leary's handling of Jane O'Keeffe, Ryanair's millionth passenger, who was awarded €67,500 by the High Court in 2002 after the airline reneged on a prize of free travel for life, was merely the most notorious such incident.

With relations between Ryanair and the EU Commission now downright poisonous, what are the odds on enhanced consumer protection for passengers whose flights are delayed or cancelled?

POLISH U-TURN In 2004 O'Leary sneeringly said: "Who wants to go to Gdansk? There ain't a lot there after you've seen the shipyard wall." A year later Ryanair announced that it was after all flying to the Polish port - and now flies from Gdansk to Stansted, Frankfurt Hahn and Stockholm.

WHEELCHAIRS Whatever made O'Leary levy a charge on passengers in wheelchairs? In fairness, Ryanair had a better case than was generally recognised as it was merely passing on a charge imposed by the British Airports Authority and Aer Rianta.

It doesn't matter. When Bob Ross, who had been charged stg£18 for the use of a wheelchair at Stansted in March 2002, successfully sued Ryanair, it was the budget airline and not BAA which got it in the neck.

After the wheelchairs experience, you would have thought that Ryanair would tread carefully in its dealings with the disabled. Not a bit of it. Last September it chucked nine blind and visually impaired people along with their three fully-sighted minders off one its planes at Stansted citing "safety" considerations. Some people never learn.

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT In September 2004 Ryanair unveiled ambitious plans for an in-flight entertainment system. Passengers would pay €7 for the use of a laptop-type device which would show films, cartoons and TV shows.

O'Leary predicted that Ryanair would make "enormous sums of money" from the system. Things didn't quite work out as planned. The system left passengers underwhelmed and it has since been quietly dropped.

Dan White

RogerIrrelevant69
19th Jun 2006, 08:13
Disappointing really. I thought the Indo would try and come up with something new and at least juicy. Heard nearly all that stuff before and I have to say it wouldn't exactly set the world on fire in any airline. Silly season padding of newspaper, tsk, tsk.

So he's a chancer who gets it wrong occasionally. He also has an exceedingly annoying habit of getting it right occasionally too.

And before anyone has a go, there is not a hint of employee relations in that article and I didn't mention it either so hopefully the usual suspects can contain themselves...:)

Colonel Klink
19th Jun 2006, 08:46
Yes, he may well get it right occasionally as Roger above points out. But, bearing in mind he is the single most dislikeable person in the world, let alone aviation, isn't it wonderful to be able to re-read his f-ups over and over again!!!!

smith
19th Jun 2006, 09:01
Can anyone confirm that FR are actually trying to charge airports for the pleasure of letting them land there? Friend of a neighbour of mine's brother says that they are trying to do that at PIK. This "friend" also says that they are still using the original contract they had at PIK when they first started. This took into account the use of the 737-200 with approx 120 pax, however the 800's carry approx 185 pax and no provisio in the contract has taken this into account. Good luck to FR if they can carry it off.

Sunfish
19th Jun 2006, 09:22
As I have said before, the CEO appears to be following a well worn business strategy that assumes his competitors are idiots, and that he can drive them out of business by supplying product at less then the full cost of production. Once his competitors are out of business, he reasons, he can raise his prices and recoup his losses, then go on to make squillions.

A reading of the accounts suggests that the actual business of flying people from one place to another doesn't make much money. Its the "extra's" that make the dough.

Unfortunately the "punters" eventually work this out and act accordingly.:}

Hansol
19th Jun 2006, 09:42
All that said, luv em or hate em FR is one massive business success story, bigger then Luffty this year !

Desert Diner
19th Jun 2006, 09:43
Unfortunately the "punters" eventually work this out and act accordingly

Hence, Aer Lingus' remarkable rise from the near dead.

NOTHING, it seems, can stop Ryanair. This year the budget airline is planning to carry 42 million passengers. If it does, it will overtake Lufthansa to become the world's largest scheduled airline measured by the number of passengers carried.

Whatever you say about MOL, he has done that.

Taildragger67
19th Jun 2006, 11:23
As I have said before, the CEO appears to be following a well worn business strategy that assumes his competitors are idiots, and that he can drive them out of business by supplying product at less then the full cost of production. Once his competitors are out of business, he reasons, he can raise his prices and recoup his losses, then go on to make squillions.
A reading of the accounts suggests that the actual business of flying people from one place to another doesn't make much money. Its the "extra's" that make the dough.
Unfortunately the "punters" eventually work this out and act accordingly.:}

MOL has historically made no bones about sometimes making very little from an actual passenger uplift; hence the mid-week one-ways for less than a tenner. The business model looks to get paid for that passenger by other ways, eg. on-board purchases or subsidies/payments from the regional airport to which the punter gets carried. That is: charge 50 quid and have the seat empty, or charge a tenner, fill the seat, cost a bit of marginal fuel but get 20 quid from the airport/local tourism authority for having brought the punter.

luckyirishlad
19th Jun 2006, 12:06
GEOGRAPHY Whatever it was the Jesuits taught the young O'Leary during his time at Clongowes, geography doesn't seem to have been on the curriculum. Ryanair's Frankfurt-Hahn hub is virtually in Luxembourg, while Paris-Beauvais is closer to the northern French city of Amiens than it is to the French capital.
However, it was Ryanair advertising flights to "Copenhagen" a few years back that really took the Mickey, if you'll pardon the pun. On closer examination it emerged that the flights were not to Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark, but to Malmo in Sweden.
What ever anyone thinks about the use of Regional bases, no one can in deed accuse them of not being open and upfront about where they fly. If you take the time to look at the destinations section and actually click on the destination, it tells you very very plainly where the airport is located. Most people are too lazy to do this and blame the airline for keeping them in the dark. By the way, Malmo airport is less than 30mins on the train from Cophenhagen. Within 10minutes of leaving Malmo, you ACTUALLU STOP AT COPHENHAGEN INTL AIRPORT!!! Therefore its only 10minutes further away from Cophenhagen than Cophenhagen airport is!!!! I fly all the time to Malmo for cophenhagen, Its €51 return including tax and luggage, vs average of €400+ return with SAS. And i still have to pay for Tea on SAS!!!
NO DIVIDENDS With its growth rapidly slowing, O'Leary's refusal to pay a dividend is now starting to hurt the share price. While the airline almost quadrupled passenger numbers to 35 million over the past five years, it is forecasting that passenger numbers will double to just under 70 million by 2011.
Remember percent is based on the new figure, and 1% is relative. 35 million over 5 years......great. but, simple maths will tell you, increaseing up to 70million between now and 2011 is still another 35 million passengers, over 5 years (2011-2006!) so its the same!!! Its the old saying...Theres Lies, Utter Lies, then theres Statistics. This is merely illustrated in this way by the media to try and make it look like things arent great.
DUBLIN AIRPORT By pursuing a pointless vendetta against Aer Rianta over its plans to expand Dublin Airport and refusing to start any new routes out of Dublin for several years, O'Leary allowed Aer Lingus to open a slew of new routes.
Having a free run at these new European routes was one of the key reasons Willie Walsh was able to bring Aer Lingus back from the dead. With Aer Lingus rapidly evolving into a sort of Ryanair-lite, O'Leary had no option but to eat humble pie and start operating new routes out of Dublin.
NO one "allowed" Aer Lingus to open new routes! They were just to lazy, and Wilie Walsh just knew that expansion to new markets was the only way to success. Didnt matter of FR were battling them out or not. EI would always get the pic of the pax anyways, as they fly to CDG, FRA, BCN etc instead of outlying airports.
CUSTOMER RELATIONS While O'Leary might view customer relations as an expensive irrelevance, treating the paying public in such a cavalier manner could yet come back to haunt Ryanair. O'Leary's handling of Jane O'Keeffe, Ryanair's millionth passenger, who was awarded €67,500 by the High Court in 2002 after the airline reneged on a prize of free travel for life, was merely the most notorious such incident.
YEs, i agree, this isnt good image, but personally speaking, ive never had any trouble with FR. To coin a popular phrase - They do exactly what they say on the tin. When i have had trouble, they have rectified straight away and fulfilled all contractual obligations without haste. Interestly, i had to change a flight the other day. FR charged €30 + fare difference. Whenever i change with EI, its €50 + fare difference!
With relations between Ryanair and the EU Commission now downright poisonous, what are the odds on enhanced consumer protection for passengers whose flights are delayed or cancelled?
Is someone implying that a law would be brought out only governing ryanair?!
POLISH U-TURN In 2004 O'Leary sneeringly said: "Who wants to go to Gdansk? There ain't a lot there after you've seen the shipyard wall." A year later Ryanair announced that it was after all flying to the Polish port - and now flies from Gdansk to Stansted, Frankfurt Hahn and Stockholm.
Yes, but what the Independent are forgetting to report here, is that MOL came out and held his hands up when the first route was announced, saying that he got it wrong, and thats were the demand lies. First rule of business. go to where the money lies.

After the wheelchairs experience, you would have thought that Ryanair would tread carefully in its dealings with the disabled. Not a bit of it. Last September it chucked nine blind and visually impaired people along with their three fully-sighted minders off one its planes at Stansted citing "safety" considerations. Some people never learn.
Hmmmm. Seems the Courts, along with both the IAA and EASA were onside with FR on this one. Ryanair ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS said very very plainly on their website, that Blind or visually impaired must inform the local Call centre to register as such a passenger. There are LEGAL restrictions as to how many can be carried. Key word: LEGAL. The pax affected never informed FR. Therefore there was too many on the flight, it was illegal to carry them, and FR were left with no choice but to offload them. They were carried later, and in appropriate numbers.
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT In September 2004 Ryanair unveiled ambitious plans for an in-flight entertainment system. Passengers would pay €7 for the use of a laptop-type device which would show films, cartoons and TV shows.
O'Leary predicted that Ryanair would make "enormous sums of money" from the system. Things didn't quite work out as planned. The system left passengers underwhelmed and it has since been quietly dropped.

Yep, it didnt work. FR put the effort in, but the trial failed. Why pour out a system you can see isnt working. They conceded that the Sector lengths were too short, and they washed their hands of the system. Why hang onto it?

ManchesterMan
19th Jun 2006, 13:55
RYANAIR

42M people says he's doing something right.

What have you ever achieved with your negative attitude?

MM

MarkD
19th Jun 2006, 14:09
I have to agree. O'Leary has convinced the public that being treated like crap is a GOOD THING! He has convinced airlines like Aer Lingus to become more and more like FR rather than persuading people that service is worth paying for. He makes all these "bad" decisions and gets 42m pax. I bet the Poles were actually thinking "neck like a jockey's bollix" when O'Leary did his "mea culpa" - and then headed for their keyboard.

What the Indo should have concentrated on is O'Leary's appalling Industrial Relations track record and the curious merrygoround that his fleet acquisition appears to be. But that would take a real newspaper, as opposed to the Duckworth School of Journalism.

Coasthugger
19th Jun 2006, 14:09
Good luck to FR if they can carry it off.
I really don't quite understand this attitude. Airports are businesses and they will only operate if they believe that they can generate a return for their shareholders.
Airlines reducing fares (and as part of their business model) forcing down fees paid to airports, just results in airports having to recoup more money from other income streams (parking, retail, etc).
Do you think that operating costs of airports have reduced in the last 10 years? I very much doubt it. Pax will pay for airports (and airlines) at the end of the day. What low-costs have done is drive higher volumes of pax so that the individual cost is lower than it was 5 years ago.
But 'Good luck to FR' for driving up the cost of a parking space and a crap cup of coffee in the terminal? Not from me!

befree
19th Jun 2006, 14:10
42M people says he's doing something right.

More stupid statistics. Every single person on return trip counts as two. Many people will be regular travelers who own 2nd homes or work away from home. The real number of individuals who travel with ryanair each year may be something like 10m which take an average of 4.2 sectors per year. Most will take 2 sectors but a few will take 50-100.

MOL is a gambler. when he hedged last year at $49/barrell he did very well. This year who can tell if is hedge will be a good deal or a costly mistake.

potkettleblack
19th Jun 2006, 14:14
Coasthugger - I wouldn't be to concerned for the airport authorities. Have you tried to book a cheapie low cost flight lately? I have and although you might get your fares for 10 or 20 quid, there is at least 20-30 of fees added on. One Aer Lingus flight I booked for 20 euros return had just under 50 euros of fees added on. Granted only a small amount goes to the airport authorities (say £5-10) but how much do you think they should get? After all like you say they get money from landing fees, car parking, cargo handling, lease of space for offices, shops, a cut from the concessions run within the airport...the list goes on.

If you are worried about costs at airports going up then look at who runs them and if they are being run as efficiently as they could be. There is an interesting thread running about the development costs of Stansteds runway for example. See the numbers involved for laying some concrete and you start to get a feel for how the airport authorities can get away with it.

ManchesterMan
19th Jun 2006, 14:59
befree

So I see,this MOL guy counts differently to the likes
of BA/Lufthansa/AirFrance etc,etc.....

The swine !!! and heres me thinking he'd flown them
whilst counting honestly!!

Please disregard my previous I obviously didnt have
the proper info to be able to comment.

MM

Coasthugger
19th Jun 2006, 15:20
'Fees' added on are stealth fares. They go to the airlines and bear no resemblance to what the airport gets.

As far as what airports get for pax charges - well go and look at the published rates for the regulated airports. You can bet that low cost carriers are paying less than that to regional airports. So less than £5 certainly.

As for costs of concrete - that's down to building contractors not the airport, surely? Remember that airports are heavily regulated by the CAA in terms of safety requirements for airside infrastructure.

But I wasn't trying to stick up for airports particularly. I'm just making the point that airlines reducing what they pay airports will not necessarily flow through to the passenger - they'll just have to pay more in other areas to make up for it.

luckyirishlad
19th Jun 2006, 16:04
More stupid statistics. Every single person on return trip counts as two. Many people will be regular travelers who own 2nd homes or work away from home. The real number of individuals who travel with ryanair each year may be something like 10m which take an average of 4.2 sectors per year. Most will take 2 sectors but a few will take 50-100.

HAHA!!!! Do you SERIOUSLY BELEIVE for one second that they count differently than any other airline in the world?!

It is the industry norm to count "Earned Seats". These are seats occupied against the number of seats available. (Also the base for calculating load factor). 1 pax equals one earned seat, and therefore the WHOLE INDUSTRY counts 1 return journey as two sectors and therefore 2 earned seats. count it whatever way ya want....If Ryanair say 40m and BA say 30m, ya may not want to beleive it, but its compared on an apples with apples basis and not apples and pears as you seem to suggest

XSBaggage
19th Jun 2006, 16:36
And should regular travellers be counted separately from other travellers? I am sure that BA, AF, LH and all the rest would have numbers even lower than at present if only new passengers were considered, given the time and effort they put into promoting their expensive and not particularly rewarding frequent flyer programmes!

I believe I have said it before, but MOL is an amazing publicity gathering machine. Love him or hate him he gets people talking, he causes the debate of no frills (the FR way) vs full service airlines to be talked about in pubs, restaurants, homes, offices and internet forums ;) all over Europe. And what happens is people use the words "cheap" and "Ryanair" on both sides of the argument, and the next time even a Ryanair basher wants a low air fare they will at least check out the FR price. Take a look at this forum for example, 12 responses in less than 9 hours, arguing about what MOL wants us to argue about. In his endless quest for publicity at least, he is a genious.

XSB

ryansf
19th Jun 2006, 17:19

Frankfurt-Hahn is the OFFICIAL name of the airport, nothing to do with Ryanair. It is the secondary airport to Frankfurt Main. It's only an hour from the airport, believe me, I've done it! Before Doncaster Robin Hood opened, my nearest major airport was Manchester, which is over an hour away, so one can hardly complain about airports being far away on the other end. People say that Ryanair only fly to small airports in the middle of no where, but if you turn it the other way round, people living near such airports could think that Ryanair offers flights to Major airports across the UK. Thinking about it, Ryanair flys to many "secondary" airports in the UK, such as East Midlands, Doncaster, Humberside, Leeds-Bradford, et al which don't have suc high passengers numbers as say Manchester or the London airports.

GGV
19th Jun 2006, 18:36
HAHA!!!! Do you SERIOUSLY BELEIVE for one second that they count differently than any other airline in the world?! There is virtually no figure issued by Ryanair that can be treated as necessarily being an honest statement. They manipulate geography, figures and the English language to their advantage. And who said there is anything wrong with that? - let the reader (and buyer) beware! Is that not the first rule of acquisition?

We have been through all of this here on PPRuNe before ... it looks like it is all going to start again, like a bad dream. Comparative Ryanair salary figures (you know like showing Ryanair pilots are the best paid in Europe), etc, etc. - the sordid reality versus the hype.

Nobody mentioned what the fact that the Business page of a strong Ryanair supporter has made a number of serious business criticisms - this is indeed a departure from the historical norm. In recent weeks we had a generally quiet period here on PPRuNe with minimal Ryanair nonsense - but suddenly a host of persons singing the praises of Ryanair have appeared to counter the Sunday Indo negative vibrations. A clear sign that those "negative vibes" have hit home. All this after Flight's low key drawing of our attention to certain operational issues in recent months. Interesting times.

robo283
19th Jun 2006, 18:49
As far as location is concerned, ease of access and travel time count for far more than geographical distance. LHR is not too many miles from London (14?) but it's a hellish journey however you make it. LGW is further away but much easier (at least it used to be but then I keep away from the South of England nowadays!). An airport near an existing main railway line is usually the best option as they don't have to build a branch line and charge a massive premium to take the train. (I know, the Underground to LHR is not too expensive but it was always a difficult journey with luggage, kids etc).

Mind you, if you think access to London's airports is bad, just try Leeds-Bradford, especially now they are digging up the road!

ManchesterMan
19th Jun 2006, 18:53
Or is it that people on here need their fix of
negativity.

In all these years of bad management and
rule bending how come nothing has really
stuck to the MOL person.

He might just be lucky or he might just be
clever.

Serious business papers are written by
failed business people or else they would
be earning a lot more money in a business.

Everyone should stop being so ANAL about
this airline and vote with their feet.......
oh! they already do times 42M dont they!

MM

Sunfish
19th Jun 2006, 22:35
But the point MM, is not how many are using it, but how many are repeat business. If the bulk of Ryanair's passengers (not punters) only use it a couple of times and then say "Never again", it does not bode well for Ryanair's future.

As for the quantity of travellers, well, If I buy a petrol station and sell petrol for 10p a litre, I'm going to get lots of customers aren't I? Aren't I a genius? Will the Financial Times swoon on my every word about my new business model? I sell my petrol at below cost, but of course my customers then will pay $5 for a newspaper right?

From my reading of their published accounts, the danger for Ryanair is that a very large chunk of their costs are attributable to running an airline, however only a small and declining percentage of their total profit comes from this activity. A large percentage of profit comes from "ancilliary" activities. This in my humble opinion is not very wise, as a change in passenger behaviour could reduce those profits and still leave the airline running costs intact.

I've had competitors in the printing industry once who always had to undercut my prices. It was pathological. Their idea was that they would eventually drive me and other competitors out of business, raise their prices and clean up. Guess who went under? It wasn't me. A lot of printing businesses gave a sigh of relief when this prat finally went bankrupt.

RogerIrrelevant69
20th Jun 2006, 07:06
Sunfish,

As someone who still uses Ryanair a fair bit, I would guess they probably rely pretty heavily on repeat business. Considering Ireland only has 4 million people living there and Ryanair still derives a significant percentage (was about 40% 3 years ago, now? don't know but at a guess I'd still say in the region of 20% to 25%) of it's revenue from it's Irish operation I would say a lot of Irish people do put up with the minimal to ****e service levels time and time again because of one thing: price.

Examples are numerous - I used to do Dublin to Edinburgh one or twice a month with Aer Lingus - absolute minimum cost £100IR (€128). Then Ryanair came along and total average cost, about £50IR. Now how Ryanair arrived at doing this route is well known amongst the flying fraternity and how Ryanair treats it's pax and staff is equally well known and debated. But as a passenger I put up with all that for a relatively painless short-hop flight. Would I do the same for long-haul? Not a chance in hell.

Curious Pax
20th Jun 2006, 08:21
Interesting article in the Times today: OLeary views (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9077-2233336,00.html)
It seems that MOL agrees with a number of those here:
“When we’re the biggest airline in Europe, it will be inappropriate to have somebody here shouting, swearing, abusing the competition,” he said.
“You need more professional management than me. And that time is coming,”
It is also revealing in the context of this discussion that their bookings jumped 15% after the Channel 4 documentary! No such thing as bad publicity it would seem.

Desert Diner
20th Jun 2006, 10:05
But as a passenger I put up with all that for a relatively painless short-hop flight.

I think this may be the secret of their sucess.

And on a painfull note: How has this tread gone to 12 pages:ugh:

ManchesterMan
20th Jun 2006, 15:29
Ryanair v Southwest

Compare the two minus MOL
What do you get?

MM

james170969
24th Jun 2006, 13:16
Does anyone know if this route is being discontinued? I can't make a reservation on this route beyond the end of October but to Rome I can book into December. I hope it's not being discontinued as I use it three or four times per year to go to Ostend.

EI-CFC
24th Jun 2006, 14:16
james170969

It's quite possible that the schedules haven't been finalised and uploaded yet :)

RAT 5
1st Jul 2006, 21:07
I'm just curious. There was a spread in the FT that Air France had gone to court over alleged subsidies for a new RYR base at MRS. This was a few weeks ago, yet there has been nothing on here about a new RYR base at MRS nor about these French complaints.
Is this a myth?

james170969
2nd Jul 2006, 07:09
I see from ryanair's website that the baggage allowance is to be reduced down to 15kg again which was what it was before they introduced the checked in baggage charge. I wonder if they'll abolish the charge when they reduce the baggage allowance.

FLYboh
2nd Jul 2006, 09:40
RAT 5,

Check out pages 5 & 6 of this thread. It pays to look back through a thread sometimes!:ok:

Shamrock 125
2nd Jul 2006, 10:04
ehh where did you see this? it clearly states that if you booked before the 15th March your allowance is 15kg

The current allowance still remains 20kg

james170969
2nd Jul 2006, 11:52
Go to the home page, click on Travel Questions, scroll down to the baggage section and click on "What is my checked baggage allowance?"
It states, "The Checked Baggage allowance is 20kg per person (15kg per person for all passengers travelling from the 1st November 2006 onwards). "
I use Ryanair frequently but I really wish they'd make up they're minds as to what the baggage allowance is. I suspect the temporary increase in the allowance from 15kg to 20kg was a bit of a "sweetner" when they introduced the baggage charge.

ryan2000
2nd Jul 2006, 22:58
Ryanair are to recruit several extra cabin crew at Cork. Are we about to see a 2nd plane based there ? They could do this without giving the Southern Airport any extra business.

Surely though they are not going to leave expansion from the new terminal to Aerlingus, BMI Baby, Aer Arann, Wizz, Central Wings etc,

And Easyjet are not gone yet!

RAT 5
3rd Jul 2006, 16:19
Regarding baggage allowance:

Can anyone say if it is leala to deny the ticket holder a full baggage allowance? RYR stipulate that buying an extra seat (empty) does not allow the ticket holder to use the baggage alowance if the seat remains empty. It also says that groups, i.e. families, can not pool luggage. If daddy has paid for all the tickets he should be able to claim the total baggage allowance. It is possible/necessary to purchase a seat for a musical instrument; so why not also be able to have the baggage allowance. YOU HAVE PAID FOR IT! I believe ej do the same. Has anyone tested the legality of this?
Interesting point about the new/old RYR allowance. When the charge was introduced, and the baggage allownace increased plus the overal reduction in fares, it was claimed that paasengers would be better or no worse off. If the allowance is now reduced and excess charges made for baggage upto 20kgs, I suspect the opposite will be true.

Flying lawyer please.

MarkD
3rd Jul 2006, 16:57
Is this going to be like when Ryanair open routes but don't mention they are closing some? Will more "return to lessor" (after sale/leaseback) be appearing beside FR 738s in the Jethros list?

http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleet_listings/ryanair_in_service.htm

RAT 5
4th Jul 2006, 13:30
With 107 a/c and all the new orders, what is the news/truth about RYR's AOC being vaild for only 99a/c? This was stated a few weeks ago. Is it true?

Charlie Roy
6th Jul 2006, 22:44
The Wikipedia map of Ryanair's destinations shows Podgorica, capital of Montenegro, as a destination. Does Wikipedia know something we don't?

(Their map isn't 100% up to date. It still shows Cardiff and it's missing a few destinations: Inverness, Verona, Trapani...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ryanairdestinations.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair

Charlie Roy
6th Jul 2006, 22:49
Ryanair's "Find Lowest Fares" booking engine seems to suggest that they could be introducing Girona to Turin... I couldn't find any flights though...

It could just be a glitch too. Like a good few months ago all Milan Bergamo flights were temporarily being diverted to Verona Brescia for operational reasons for a day or two, and since then the "Find Lowest Fares" section shows Verona Brescia as a destination from every airport that has Milan Bergamo as a destination.

angels
7th Jul 2006, 08:52
Charlie, re destinations, your second paragraph really answers your first.

Looks like a cock-up to me.

Stanstedeye
7th Jul 2006, 20:05
The Wikipedia map of Ryanair's destinations shows Podgorica, capital of Montenegro, as a destination. Does Wikipedia know something we don't?

(Their map isn't 100% up to date. It still shows Cardiff and it's missing a few destinations: Inverness, Verona, Trapani...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ryanairdestinations.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair

See my post 15, this info came to light on March 11th 2006

Charlie Roy
8th Jul 2006, 16:15
This news article from a couple of weeks ago says that Ryanair have applied for slots to fly between Madrid and Granada.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_4998.shtml

Iberia currently does this route and I heard Vueling are also planning to start up on this route.

Ryanair currently fly to Granada from 3 of their bases: Hahn, Stansted and Liverpool. Would Ryanair use an aircraft originating from one of these bases, or would they base an aircraft at Granada or Madrid?!

Charlie Roy
8th Jul 2006, 16:58
This news article suggests that Ryanair are considering the following routes from Granada:
-Dublin
-Glasgow Prestwick
-Milan Bergamo

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/138435/0/verano/destinos/volar/
"Eso sí, la línea Granada-Francfort de Ryanair se iniciará en octubre, mientras que sus vuelos a Dublín, Glasgow y Milán se han quedado en el aire."

Charlie Roy
8th Jul 2006, 17:14
My Spanish isn't great but I have been looking through some Spanish news articles and they make for some interesting reading.
Looks like Ryanair and Easyjet plan to break into the Spanish domestic market, which is currently dominated by Iberia / Air Nostrum, Vueling and Spanair.

This article says that Ryanair have applied for a plethora of slots between Madrid and the Canary Islands :O
http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?Id=30197
"Ryanair ha pedido una barbaridad de slots para unir Madrid con Canarias."

The next article says the Ryanair is considering offering a number of domestic flights from Madrid from October!
http://www.capitalrevista.es/capital/canal_capital/detalle_noticia/detallenoticia.jsp?noticia=1791&repositorio=0&pagina=1&idapr=1__esp_1__
"La compañía aérea de bajo coste Ryanair se ha hecho con los derechos (slots) para poner en marcha vuelos nacionales desde el aeropuerto de Madrid-Barajas a partir de octubre."

And here are some more articles on the Ryanair's possible introduction of Madrid to Granada:
http://www.diariogranadahoy.com/diariogranadahoy/articulo.asp?idart=2982685&idcat=2911
http://actualidad.terra.es/provincias/granada/articulo/iberia_granada_madrid_943122.htm

As for Easyjet they may be intorducing Madrid to Lanzarote, and Madrid to Asturias.

It would be excellent to see Ryanair at Madrid :D
And also if they were to start operations from Madrid to the Canary Islands, we mightn't have to wait long before they start connecting to the islands from their other bases!
(Although Stockholm Skavsta or Prestwick may be too far from the Canary Islands? Ryanair are less interested in lengthy flights...)

The 5Q
8th Jul 2006, 17:34
I am told (if you measure the start up date of airline by its first scheduled flight) that today, 8th July, is Ryanair's 21st Birthday.

They operated their very first scheduled passenger flight on 8th July 1985, the aircraft, a Embraer Bandeirante (EI-BPI) flew from Waterford, Ireland to London Gatwick.

This date also marks 21 years of international scheduled passenger services for Waterford Airport.

Happy Birthday to them both !!

sky9
10th Jul 2006, 07:11
Report in today's Daily Telegraph Business section: "Ryanair may face EU 'tax' inquiry"
link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml;jsessionid=3BZSAGV21E0DHQFIQMGSFFWAVCBQWIV0?xml=/money/2006/07/10/cnryan10.xml