PDA

View Full Version : Station visits

mrchopsaloty
10th Jan 2006, 21:38
I passed my selection test last week and am looking to arrange a visit to a station, speak to a few people, get a feel for RAF life...

How would I go about arranging a visit? Someone suggested Odiham would be a good one to try.

E-n-i-g-m-a-8-3
10th Jan 2006, 22:18
Ring around a few stations, and speak to their CRO (Community Relations Officer?). They should be able to sort you out with a visit if you explain where you are with your application.

Alternatively, speak to the AFCO you applied through (or any really, for that matter), tell them where you are with your application, and tell them you are really keen to go and sample the RAF life. They should be able to arrange something for you, and it looks good for you to be so keen too.

Maybe the second of these will be the better solution really, and probably easier to organise, if they're prepared to help at the AFCO. They may, of course, just tell you to contact the stations yourself, but I do hope they'll be more helpful.

Hope that helps.

BN Boy
11th Jan 2006, 01:27
Mr... Seeing as you're writing from Staines (I only assume), Benson might be another Stn you can try. Odiham is your best bet though, with very 'traditional' squadrons, if I may! The CRO there is very helpful as well.

6foottanker
11th Jan 2006, 16:32
Depends what branch they've accepted you as. You should be able to get CCO (PR guys) numbers from the RAF website/Careers office. If you're a spacey, that'll help get you around.

Don't be put off by distance if you really want to see what's going on. Some of the more fun places to see are a little way from the big smoke.
Best to get as wide a scope as you can, because there are more than a few blunties (and aircrew come to think of it) who seem to have no real interest in or idea about the service they have joined, or no interest in why they are there in the first place........

....running away bravely now, sir...

6'