PDA

View Full Version : BA "connect" new route in BHD

no, no, no
10th Jan 2006, 15:00
Heard that BA will announce the end of this month that the "new" BA connect (!!) will launch a second route from belfast - it couldn't be London could it after their absence? Maybe LGW - but then up against easy?

Anyone heard anything? :confused:

jamesbrownontheroad
10th Jan 2006, 15:59
Would have to be a present BACX (sorry BACON) base, since none are being added/dropped, and there is no base at BHD any more.

Place your bets...

*j*

Flightrider
10th Jan 2006, 16:29
I'd put money on it being a high-frequency BHX-BHD operation with Embraer 145s. Vengeance against Flybe for their entry to MAN-BHD.

shuttlebus
10th Jan 2006, 20:34
My money is on BHX. BA had "sound" economic reasons for pulling Belfast*, even though bmi seem to be creaming it in. BHX is extremely popular and it is clear that Connect will only operate from regional hubs....

Of course, I could be wrong :confused:

*This was done to death on a thread here back in 2002.

Details from Connect website are: -

The BA Connect product will operate from UK regional airports. British Airways services at London City, Heathrow and Gatwick**, will continue to offer complimentary food on all routes and a Club Europe cabin on the European network.
** With the exception of the Gatwick-Inverness and Gatwick-Isle of Man services, which are operated by BA Connect

Regards,

Shuttlebus

WHBM
10th Jan 2006, 21:23
Aren't all the London City routes operated by BACX/BACON as well ?

spanishflea
10th Jan 2006, 21:45
Yup, BHX based aircraft and crew.

Itlbefine
11th Jan 2006, 03:03
Would have to be a present BACX (sorry BACON) base, since none are being added/dropped, and there is no base at BHD any more.
Place your bets...
*j*

i think you will find there is still a base there! Just because there are no crew based there does not mean the place ceases to exist. :mad: Think you have been on the road too long James, you need to take a rest and some time off and catch up with the world.

aeulad
11th Jan 2006, 13:37
What about Bristol to Belfast City? Flybe. are reducing frequency from 3 daily flights to once daily! BA connect could offer morning and evening departures from BRS to City, more suited to the business traveller than the once daily BE offering.

Regards

Mike

WOWBOY
11th Jan 2006, 14:00
That could work!

Air Southwest would be good at operating that route ;)

jamesbrownontheroad
11th Jan 2006, 15:14
i think you will find there is still a base there! Just because there are no crew based there does not mean the place ceases to exist.

My apologies... facts consulted and correction noted. :ok:

So if an a/c and crew nightstops at BHD, are the costs of accomodating the crew overnight in Belfast less than just employing people locally (after all, an Ulster accent is always a bonus when it comes to cabin crew). There's definitely room for BAc to do more at BHD, but I must admit that I am beginning to agree with the logic of those who are saying in the main BAcon thread that the lo-co direction just won't work with the current fleet. They could easily head more in the direction of T3 (an airline who I've always thought could carve a profitable niche at BHD...)

*j*

PS... could someone also explain the 'agreement' (?) that led to BA letting BD operate all LHR services? Could BA launch a BHD-LHR route to compete with BD, or is it not worth the effort against one of BD's last remaining strong 2-cabin routes?

HZMIS
12th Jan 2006, 10:17
Cannot be accurate but can relate several reasons. The number of slots ex LHR could be given over to more lucarative routes / flights. With the increase in BHD services profits were already in free fall. Belfast staff were direct employees of BA, it was also a Cabin crew base and for a number of years efforts had failed to outsource them, this failure also contributed to the ceasation of the route. frankly I cannot see it returning.

db7
12th Jan 2006, 10:34
The new BMI module approach has made interlining at LHR difficult for Belfast passengers - since 2001 there has been a considerable number of paxs using the BA/BMI agreement to interline ex BHD. If you check the BA fare rules you will see that BA allows special interlining rights ex. BHD with BMI. Unfortunately the new BMI business model does not take account of this on the 'cheaper'(sic) fares. So most now buying two tickets and again no interlining. This is unsatisfactory for BA longhaul but doubt if it is enough for BA to re-introduce a Belfast-LHR option

redeye1000
19th Jan 2006, 08:02
Has anyone else heard that Flybe's management are up in arms over BA's intention to start a new route from Belfast. Apparently Flybe are looking to retaliate by opening a base in Bristol and are contemplating going head to head on Manchester to Glasgow and Edinburgh! Looks like we're in for a good old battle of the airlines!

hushkit77
19th Jan 2006, 15:00
to be fair it was Flybe who stepped on BACX to start with by putting on the BHD-MAN service. I believe they agreed in the past not to touch MAN. I would not be surprised if Connect now threw a jet on the BHD-BHX in retaliation!!

HZMIS
19th Jan 2006, 15:09
I think that FlyBe could not give a s--t about any particular plans that BA con have. They have soundly beaten BACX already and are in the ascendancy while Bacon has no direction.

Dash-7 lover
19th Jan 2006, 16:17
HZMIS.... You are sooo wrong!! FLYBE couldn't give a ****?? BACX have held their own against Flybe out of SOU to EDI/GLA and MAN so yes we can give a them a run for their money!!!! The same goes with EZY out of BRS!! So the 145 is small, that doesn't reflect on the levels of customer service or punctuality. BACX now have a direction in which to focus all their energy. Let the battle commence!!

JobsaGoodun
19th Jan 2006, 17:13
Dash-7 Lover,

Whilst I partially agree with what you have said about BACX holding their own, Flybe have consistently taken a greater market share on routes where both airlines compete, normally within a very short period. Dare I say that the only reason why BA remain on some routes, such as those out of SOU/BRS is given that fact that the business as a whole is under review so no firm decisions were taken.

I think the important thing to look at is that although BACX competes in an active manner against the likes of Flybe and Easy, it can only do so by loosing £20million a year whilst the other airlines report increasing profit figures. Not good!

db7
19th Jan 2006, 17:46
BHD-BHX is the most unreliable BE route - it is a 146

Numerous cancelations over the last year - often running very late. Very unpopular with people doing a daytrip to NEC

WOWBOY
19th Jan 2006, 18:02
I thought that they had just cut alot of BRS services as they wanted to focus on EXT!