PDA

View Full Version : Flying for United Nations

Fighter Junkie
9th Jan 2006, 16:43
Hi there, i wanted to ask if anyone had any information about how to get in contact with the UN about getting a job as a pilot. I checked their websites but no info about careers in piloting. any info would help thanx in advance

B200Drvr
9th Jan 2006, 17:39
FJ,
All of those jobs are contracted to various companies like Airserv, ET, Solenta and Safair to name but a few. There are also other countries with UN contracts like Russia & Ukraine etc.
In order to get on one of these contracts, you therefore have to be employed by the company that has the contract, not by the UN itself, they do however set the experience requirements, which are quite high.

Fighter Junkie
9th Jan 2006, 22:41
B200Drvr,
Thankyou very much for that information, helps me alot. Now i can stop searching through the UN for jobs. Can you tell me if its not a problem what companies operate in eastern africa, if there are alot of them, then just tell me who operates in kenya. And does the applicant have to have a type rating before the job or will the company training them.
These might seem like amateur questions and thats because i am a student pilot with very little hours, and trying to look ahead at the job market.
thanx

B200Drvr
10th Jan 2006, 10:36
Dont know who is in Kenya at the moment as the contracts come and go but most SA companies are in Africa somewhere. To the best of my knowledge you need the rating first with all the companies.

south coast
10th Jan 2006, 14:09
flying in africa is not for faint hearted liberal europeans who expect things to be like in the 1st world...

it is a mess of a continent, rife with corruption and filled with greedy people who would rather see their fellow citizen starve if it meant they could have an extra $100, and the above reasons are why i had probably the most enjoyable 5 years of flying i am ever going to experience.

do it, but be aware things in africa are different...

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jan 2006, 14:15
Jeez guys!

If we'd played this one right we could have had him posting pics of himself doing pushups as a pre selection for the UN Air Force.:E

Oh, well! Next time.....:ok:

MysticFlyer
10th Jan 2006, 20:37
AU Reserve Air Force rather.

AU-RAF for sure, one thinks, ol' chap! They did take this mess forward, one may presume. We'll I do have to remark on ones junkyness...

Fighter Junkie
11th Jan 2006, 01:27
Thanx for da info B200Dvr.
Hey south coast
thats exactly my type of working enviroment that you described. even though im only a student pilot i know when iam done i want to work in a rugged and ruthless enviroment like africa, Like an african bush pilot

MysticFlyer
11th Jan 2006, 07:25
Shall we call this cross pollination, Exodus-Impotus.

A queer thought. Pax Mamparica perhaps?

Balletjies trap.

FINNISHED
11th Jan 2006, 07:50
Fighter junkie try King Air Services, NAC, Solenta or Executive Turbines, all at Lanseria, Jnb. Federal Air in Durban. ALS in Nairobi.

south coast, Which part of Africa were you referring to? $100? What 3 months wages? Don't tell me you would not stich your mate up for that?

804 short final...
You are highly welcome here...

I.R.PIRATE
11th Jan 2006, 07:54
In most cases the UN hour requirements are rather steep. I know that here in Afghanistan they require 3000 hours total, and 500 hours PIC on type for the captains. Co-pilots need 100 hours on type and 1500 hours I believe.

Islander Jock
11th Jan 2006, 14:22
I.R Pirate,
I was recently involved in a tender evaluations for one of the UN contracts in Kabul and from memoryI think the hours you quoted are correct. . Pretty steep hours requirements but then again, flying over the Hindu Kush in mid winter and diving into the murk back into KBL is not for the feint hearted eh ;)

I.R.PIRATE
11th Jan 2006, 15:27
Ahhh...the " super-bowl "......Kabul aint for sissies, thats why I still cry myself to sleep every night...:{ :E

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Jan 2006, 16:31
Well, at least you've stopped hiding under the bed and sucking your thumb when rostered for a flight...:E :ok:

Those airline jobs are well overdue...:(

EagleWings
11th Jan 2006, 17:21
Hi Chaps
As far as I am aware the hours that I.R. P quoted are just about standard in all countries not only here between the mountains! :cool:
There are some small changes here and there. In some places the P1 requirement is just 500hrs on type and not 500pic. and the 1500 hrs total for co-jock does not always apply. :oh:

Anyway all the best in the job hunt and safe flying to all my fellow Aviators in the "super bowl".
EW:ok:

I.R.PIRATE
11th Jan 2006, 18:19
Well SRT, not too sure if I might be crying more in the airlines.......maybe from boredom.:}

Jelly Doughnut
11th Jan 2006, 21:03
Greetings to the Finn.... how's the eight?
:ok:

Islander Jock
12th Jan 2006, 01:22
Ahhh Do I see enough ppruners here for a Kabul bash???

FINNISHED
12th Jan 2006, 09:40
Hey Jelly all still ticking forward with lots of smoke. Give you a call one of these days, hope all is well!?

I.R PIRATE cautious with the toast...

south coast
12th Jan 2006, 10:02
what eight are you flying finnish....super cub 8?

FINNISHED
12th Jan 2006, 10:14
south coast ROGER!

I.R.PIRATE
12th Jan 2006, 10:38
A prooon bash, just let me know, I will organise!!:ok:

Jelly Doughnut
12th Jan 2006, 18:41
No his name not ROGER, is CHARLIE.......... CHARLIE CHARLIE :D :D :D

Armando latiff
13th Jan 2006, 22:42
Job search for ICAO ATP...in africa kenia...johanessburg well...seraching for nice friends that could help me to get restrat my carrer...Im pilot 9000 hrs..most in jets and turboprops...love flying and adventure....if something is available please sent me any info...aprreciatte...thanks

B200Drvr
14th Jan 2006, 10:46
Armando, check your message inbox

Coleman Myers
15th Jan 2006, 13:55
ARMANDO / F.J.

If you have JAR ATPL and either BE20 or B1900 time send me PM with your info

Cole

Coleman Myers
15th Jan 2006, 13:57
Ooops - FAA ATPL okay too ... :8