PDA

View Full Version : KLM Crew Narita

petitfromage
9th Jan 2006, 14:43
Departing NRT this morning, our crew met a KLM crew as we went through customs.
Wow! Seldom nowadays do you see such a friendly, fun, group who obviously just enjoy the job.
Stunning girls, impeccably turned out, well mannered with beautiful smiles..........what ever KLM are doing, just keep doing it; its working!

BYMONEK
9th Jan 2006, 16:30
They probably pay them a decent salary and treat them like adults!

Clipper7
9th Jan 2006, 17:05
Must be the influence of their new French owners...

dupont3700
9th Jan 2006, 20:43
From what I know, is that KLM crew are treated very well. They have strong unions.
It's not always the salary that has to play the biggest role to keep your crew happy. KLM respect their crew and gives them enough rest between and during flights. I know they're not the best paid in Europe. I wish they would recruit this year, I know I'll do my best to get a job.

Full Emergency
9th Jan 2006, 21:22
It is very true that money is not everything in relation to a job, although it helps alot.

I know I don't work for an airline, but I do not get paid a lot of money in my job. That said, I love it to pieces and I don't think that I could do another job.

Job satisfaction is the number one most important thing in my opinion. Money second.

If I won the Lottery, I would have a year off, do what I wanted to do, but I WOULD come back and go back to work.

That is the Gods honest truth.

FE

flyblue
9th Jan 2006, 21:52
Clipper7,
they do not have owners, it's all the same company now: Air France-KLM :)

http://solutions.oresys.fr/references/logos/AFKLM.jpg

flapsforty
10th Jan 2006, 06:41
petitfromage, Ill print out your post and make sure it gets to the crew in question. I am sure they will be very happy to read that. :ok:

dupont3700 there is only 1 real union representing Dutch CC, allthough a few others are trying to start up now. The union is not considered very strong by most people. Certainly, since reading PPuNe and having had occasion to compare what British and French unions manage to achieve for their crews, the VNC seems very much 'in' with management. Perhaps that is caused by the 'poldermodel' followed in Dutch business and politics for many years now. Compromise rather than confrontation.
When compared to the Dutch pilots' union, the CC union lacks teeth, which is odd, since about 90% of Dutch CC is organised with them.

About 15 years ago, KLM CC had the choice between better wages or more time off, down route and at home- The time off option was overwhelmingly chosen. Management has steadily nibbled away at that ever since of course, without increasong the salaries.

KLM CC do not get sector pay, overtime, night time or all the other things I read about here on the forum. Schedules are sent out every week, fixed only for the 2 weeks after. You get your basic salary (about the same as AF) plus your daily allowance (depending on where in the world you get sent to), a tiny percentage of the in-flight sales profit, an extra month salary in May as holiday money and one in December as do all workers in Holland. That's it money wise. Steady, predictable and safe.
What is excellent is the possibility after 5 years to go part time 50%, 67% or someting like 80%. And no obligation ever to go back to full time. When you qualify for promotion, you temporarily do 3 months full time, but after that it's back to your original part time percentage. Both on LOng and Short Haul.

KLM uses the Carmen rostering system, and Carmen's a hard b!tch, ;) If a CC or pilot calls in sick, their schedule is immediayely wiped. All future flights disappear, including granted requests/bids.
The crew food is best not talked about, and as my fellow Mod flyblue is fond of pointing out to me: "those 1980's Nina Ricci uniforms really have passed their sell-by date".

Like any other (ex)flag carrier, KLM has its good and bad sides. It's there for the money, not to provide protected employment. But it has over the years been a decent employer that looks after its people.

flyblue
10th Jan 2006, 11:11
Erm, I really said that???
...aloud? :ugh:
;)
Flaps, the style might not be revolutionary, but the color is bright and suits all complexions and hair color.
I often cross KLM crews in hotels ans airports, and they invariably look a stylish and happy bunch, as petifromage points out.
If KLM don't want to change the look too much, they could only restyle the shirt an introduce trousers (but don't say it too loud or EmmaB will blow a vessel :p ).
I'd put my money on a big change, let's say from here to the next 5 years? Not too soon, otherwise it could give the impression that "the French arrived and are now changing our national carrier". But all the big airlines in EU have changed their look in the last 3 years, and I'm sure as that as soon as KLM will have settled in its new identity and all fears of losing "Dutchness" dissipated, they will change too :ok:

SkySista
10th Jan 2006, 17:01
flyblue... I was thinking the same thing about the trousers!!!

I too really like the blue, in my opinion all they need is some tweaking of the uniform as CX did with the current one... =)

PetitFromage, may I say what a pleasure it is to read a positive post (just generally, I don't mean you're not positive :p) as some people seem to be all negative these days... I'm sure this KLM crew will love to hear they left such a good impression!! :ok:

Ray D'Avecta
10th Jan 2006, 19:32
If KLM don't want to change the look too much, they could only restyle the shirt an introduce trousers (but don't say it too loud or EmmaB will blow a vessel ).

........have no fear, the day may soon come. The equally stunning ladies at the "cityhopper" division of KLM already have the option of some seriously sexy trousers ;).

gooneydog
11th Jan 2006, 16:30
I once met a delightful KLM crew in DTW and even had dinner with the they lovely Assist Purser at a Memphis Blues type restuarant

Fond memories

hottowel
14th Jan 2006, 15:17
Why not try talking to cityhopper crews ;-)