PDA

View Full Version : MEP rating renewal

Permafrost_ATPL
9th Jan 2006, 12:45
There is plenty of information out there about IR renewals, but what does one do about MEP rating? I looked in LASORS but it hasn't really helped :-)

What are the JAA/CAA requirements? I did my PPL in the US (FAA) so I'm not familiar with the European class rating rules...

Also, do airlines care? Because I have not seen ANY posts by people looking for their first FO job regarding MEP rating renewal (as opposed to IR), I'm wondering whether I should even worry about it! Can I just let it expire and it will be renewed during my type rating?

Thanks!

P

ATP_Al
9th Jan 2006, 13:59
If you renew your IR on a multi engine piston aeroplane the examiner will sign off your MEP rating at the same time. If you renew your IR on a FNPT sim then you'd need to renew the MEP class rating separately on the aircraft.

Once you have done a multi pilot type rating you need neither your single pilot IR or your MEP rating. During your initial type rating course you will take an LST and be issued with a multi pilot IR and the relevant type rating.

Permafrost_ATPL
9th Jan 2006, 14:33
Thank you!

Curious to hear from others whether people bother renewing their MEP class rating while looking for a job. I get the impression that renewing your IR (on FNPT2, to save money) is more important to potential employers. Unless of course one wants to get a job flying an MEP plane.

P

Keygrip
9th Jan 2006, 20:14
I'm not familiar with the European class rating rules...

but you are saying that you hold a European licence (otherwise you wouldn't be asking about renewals) - so presumably you've done a conversion course/test?

Didn't the school go through this as part of the training and test? :confused:

Permafrost_ATPL
9th Jan 2006, 21:51
Yes I hold a JAR (f)ATPL but I was modular and I did my PPL and hour building in the US. CPL/MEP/IR under JAR/CAA.

Didn't the school go through this as part of the training and test?
LOL! You mean my flight school would have spent time and energy telling me about something that was not included in what I had signed for and paid for? Not a chance!
I think I need to go to bed. My posts have been very sarcastic today :E
P

pushapproved
9th Jan 2006, 22:15
Permafrost,

Although already mentioned with regards to re-validating at the same time as an IR, if you just wanted MEP you have to have flown 10 route sectors, each comprising of take off, cruise of at least 15 minutes, an approach and landing. You then need to do a dedicated proficiency check with an authorised JAR examiner which can be undertaken up to 3 months before the expiry date. The re-validation will be current from the date it was due to expire. If you haven't flown 10 sectors, this can be supplemented by 1 route sector with the examiner as part of the proficiency check. This is detailed in LASORS Section F3.3. Details of re-validating an IR as well is in E1.5

Hope this is useful!

Permafrost_ATPL
10th Jan 2006, 08:08
Thanks Pushapproved!
I had managed to miss the right page of LASORS when I intially looked... :\
All clear now!
Sounds like the cheapest way to renew the MEP would be to combine it with the IR renewal. The good news is that this is true even once the MEP class rating has expired (for less than 5 years), since the CAA does not require mandatory training. My MEP expires in May, but my IR is not due until September. And I am delusional enough to believe I'll have a type rating by then ;)
P