PDA

View Full Version : Other Careers ???

speedbird001
9th Jan 2006, 07:49
Dear all,
I'm a PPL holder who as just started APTL ground school with OAT, I’m not yet sure how far i can actually take my flight training due to cost, like most other would be ATPLs.
What other careers, apart from working for an Airline are available to some one with, lets say a CPL/IR with an Instructors rating?? I know from my very limited experience in the world of Aviation that PPL instructors don’t seem to get much ££££ for Instructing, but since I got my PPL and started my ATPL Ground School I’ve started to live a life long dream even though i'm 33.
Any advice very much appreciated.
Cheers
SB001

hedges81
10th Jan 2006, 10:47
Donno what the probelm here is mate. If you've got yer CPL with IR and passed all the ATPL exams then all u need to do is get an MCC for bout 2grand and ull be in the same boat as all the airline wannabes out there, ie qualified to get ur first flying job. Should be able to find one where the airline pays your type rating if you persevere if thats what worries you financially.

speedbird001
10th Jan 2006, 12:08
Thanks for your reply,

I know it seems a strange question to ask in the first instance, why would you want to do anything else other than get an Airline Job???

I think what I’m asking is, what could I do with a CPL/IR other than an Airline Job if I didn’t manage to get one, I know this has been done to death but I’m 33 and not getting any younger and wouldn't like to keep waiting and waiting for a Job that might not never arrive.

I really love Flying like most other Pilots and I would be willing to take any related Flying Job, are there many other Jobs we could do?? As I don't want to be sat on the shelf, I’m sure these are valid fears.

Cheers

SB001

buster172
10th Jan 2006, 16:37
Hi,

Every situation is different but I know someone who got a job after the age of 50, yes they had a lot of instructing and general aviation experience but it was there first airline job so I wouldn’t be to put out by the fact your 33. I know a handful of others who have found work recently around your age, and I’m not that far behind you!

I think (you asked for opinions) :} that with hard work, perseverance and a little luck if you want something bad enough you will make it happen. That’s how I'm doing it. It hasn’t been easy so far and it’s only set to get harder but I'm sure it will be worth it.

To answer your question about jobs, the things I am aware of outside 'airline' flying could include, with the appropriate hours

Air taxi work, flight instruction, not just PPL but IMC, NIGHT, CPL, ME and IR. You could fly floats, aerial photography, Fisheries protection (airline operated I believe) banner towing, glider towing (often poorly paid, if at all) Parachute drop aircraft, Ferry flights, Business jets, general aviation and I'm sure a whole host of other flying opportunities if you want them for a range of hours and pay.

I am committed to the loan repayments I have to make and this rules out some of the other flying, long term at least but I do hope to fly a range of aircraft and different tasks in the future. Starting at the bottom and working my way up.

You'll surely get a few more responses but in the mean time good luck with the exams, it’s a long hard slog but worth all the effort when you start you’re CPL.

All the best,

Buster

speedbird001
10th Jan 2006, 17:45
Hi Buster172,
Thanks for your reply,
I was aware of some of those jobs but not all of them, looks like there is a lot to go at, but my main fear was doing all the training and being left on the shelf, I know I'm not going to walk straight in to a job, some do I know but I can't see the wood for the trees yet as I'm green as the day is long, but we all have to start somewhere don't we ??
Maybe I was feeling sorry for myself after seeing all those books arrive :eek: some of the instructors I know don't seem to want to do anything else I'm sure of that, as none of them have really spoke to me about other things to do, maybe I'm asking the wrong questions :)
Good look Buster with all of your Flying, and thanks for your encouraging words.
SB001

Craggenmore
10th Jan 2006, 17:46
What other careers, apart from working for an Airline are available to some one with, lets say a CPL/IR with an Instructors rating?? Typically this can happen...................You start at your local flying club as a full time Instructor. Soon local people with their own a/c cotton on to this and you get asked to fly as their safety pilot around the UK or possibly abroad (all expenses paid.)

Then the local air taxi firm gets involved and asks you to help out. You soon build multi hours quite quickly. Then other doors will open with companies like NetJets, Gamma, Titan, LEA (there are lots more around the UK) and gradually you move up the a/c ladder (if there is one) and add ratings to your license like Kingairs, Citations and Gulfstreams to name but a few.

Then if you feel inclined to do so, you apply to the airlines with your 2000 to 6,000 hours.

Easy!