PDA

View Full Version : CTAF "overlap"

karrank
9th Jan 2006, 02:11
A point considered contentious by ATC during the training for US CTAF was what should a pilot do if he/she is in the 'vicinity' of more than one aerodrome. A legal reply was drafted in case any pilot asked our opinion on which freq they should dial up in that situation, (couldn't find it on my console on 24NOV:confused: )

Found my NOV/DEC Flight Safety Australia in the back of the magazine locker in the bog & note it has uncommon sense writ on p. 64:

"In some circumstances, an aircraft may be 'in the vicinity' of more than one non-controlled aerodrome (I think he means non-towered) at one time. Where this overlap situation occurs, pilots of aircraft that have only one radio should select the CTAF of the aerodrome to which the aircraft is inbound, or if the aircraft is overflying, then the CTAF of the aerodrome to which the aircraft is nearer at any time should be selected."

Which is more or less what the septics do (as I understand it) and what our group's NAS-drone suggested in the training.

Of course if you have two radios the bold bit will gang up on you with da rules we have all paid so much for & make you monitor more than one CTAF, where appropriate. Do you think this would apply with the snazzy Microair VHF, which can TX/RX on one freq while monitoring another? Is that one radio or two?

SM4 Pirate
10th Jan 2006, 01:38
I thought the whole point was you just can't hit anyone when you're not in a circuit, it's mathematically improbable; so why would you need to use your radio away from the circuit, thus who cares what frequency you choose. 126.7 will cover most CTAFs anyway... You'd be unlkucky to hit someone using a different frequency right?

Karrank, I'm told the legal reply was deemed to be 'non operational' it needed to be in AIP, MATS, NI form etc. to be used. Anyone ever asked?