PDA

View Full Version : Format drive in XP

BOAC
8th Jan 2006, 13:02
I have had to revert to Partition Magic to format an 80GB new drive in XP, as 'Disk management' formatting seemd to hang around the 60% mark and had not budged more than 1% after a dog-walk! Is this a known problem or a 'personal' one?

shuttlebus
8th Jan 2006, 13:16
BOAC,

If it was a brand new drive, sounds like it could be a dud.... However, if partition magic formatted it OK then that is obviously not the case...

Maybe you coudl provide a little more info on the following to help us along?

Age of computer (motherboard etc)
Processor Speed (+ Intel or Athlon)

How the drive is configured (Primary or secondary channel; master or slave)
Other drives and how they are connected.

Cheers,

Shuttlebus

Cornish Jack
8th Jan 2006, 13:33
BOAC
Been there, done that, etc. Mine hung at 34% IIRC. Also went the PM route and no particular probs since. 'Pooters' are FUN - for masochists:rolleyes:

BOAC
8th Jan 2006, 13:49
shuttle - thanks to CJ I know I am not alone!!

Brand new motherboard Winfast NF4UK8AC
" processor AMD 3000 64bit
" Phoenix Bios 5/2005
Ram 512mb
Old 400W Power supply
IDE Drives

Drives

120Gb Primary master
80GB Primary slave (this one)
40 GB Sec Master
DVD writer Sec slave
Old user but taking tablets:)

.....should 'fly'?

shuttlebus
8th Jan 2006, 14:51
Nothing very strange there then!

Only problem I know of can be with AMD motherboards (All manufacturers) and it is a Windows problem rather than a hardware problem.

Please ensure that you install the necessary drivers that came with the motherboard (usually on CD).

This usually clears up any IDE or USB issues on Athlon MBs.

CJ - You aren't running an AMD either are you... I ask now because if yu have had problems with IDE as well as USB which you have referred to in other posts, then that would suggest you have not installed the PCI Bridge Driver that comes with AMD motherboards. Not only will this lead to eratic behaviour of the USB, but wll also limit the speed of your IDE devices to something a lot less then 100 or 133.

Regards,

Shuttlebus

BOAC
8th Jan 2006, 18:03
SB - totally out of my depth here, but if it helps - I have 9 pci bridges shown in Device M!?

Conan the Librarian
8th Jan 2006, 18:31
some hard drive manufacturers have utilities on their websites which may assist.

Conan

Cornish Jack
8th Jan 2006, 22:07
Shuttlebus
Thank you for that VERY timely nudge!! Yes, I do have an AMD on this 'pooter' - and I could well have missed the USB driver installation on the last couple of re-hacks of XP:uhoh: :uhoh:
Will have a search around for the MoBo cd and try to get the brain in gear! Will let you know if it does the biz.
Thanks again