PDA

View Full Version : A320 DaNang

P|_azbot
8th Jan 2006, 12:46
I flew out of this port a couple of years ago with a group of friends and I have a question that may have a variety of answers. I was on an A320 that I can't specifically remember the Airline name but it may have been Pacific or something.

Anyway, we took off and at what I assume was about 10000feet, we levelled off, slowed down dramatically (well lots anyway) for maybe 10 seconds. After the slow down, we had three or four thrust surges that felt in car terms like trying to blow some crappy fuel out the back or something. We climbed right after this with no problems.

On the take off roll, the A320 unique drone/whine was very loud in the cabin.

I myself am not a pilot but an Air Traffic Controller in Australia and am wondering if the experience was having to maintain a level due traffic or perhaps a small mechanical issue that needed sorting out.

From an operational standpoint, is DaNang full Radar? is it Radar all the way south? What are the controllers like day to day?

I note that I was a bit nervous until the PA came from up the front and it was an Aussie voice (call me a fraidy cat, I don' care) who I assume was either ex Ansett or from that time we shall never talk about.

Watchdog
8th Jan 2006, 20:19
I doubt you would have anything to worry about.

Most likely, ATC required a level out, so the autothrust would have commanded a big power reduction to maintain 250kts level at say A100, then likely there was an acceleration to unrestricted climb speed (up comes the thrust), then a reduction in thrust as the aircraft reaches this speed, finally then ATC allows further climb - up comes the thrust again!

To yourself as ATC - we really hate the step climbs where we level off only to get another 1000' climb followed by another level off etc. The thrust changes make the punters (as in your case) concerned at times.

The 320 engines make that noisy buzz-saw scream on takeoff thrust - especially prevalent with TOGA thrust - (I like it!)

Hope this helps :ok:

P|_azbot
10th Jan 2006, 22:35
Great stuff gents. Thx2u.