PDA

View Full Version : Ticket classes

Epsilon minus
7th Jan 2006, 15:30
Can someone kindly point me toward a web site that has all the decodes for airfare classes. I note that one airline is offering a Z class ticket or a ticket in Z class. I have no idea what this is.

Globaliser
7th Jan 2006, 17:01
These can be airline specific, although many booking classes are common to most or all airlines.

IIRC, Z is more airline-specific. I think some airlines use Z as a frequent flyer redemption class, others use it as a revenue class.

Scottie Dog
7th Jan 2006, 17:51
Don't hold me to it, but I seem to recall that Continental use 'Z' class for Discounted Business class through consolidators, and British Airways I think use it for economy class staff/agents rebate.

Loveky to see that, if I have these right, there is no confusion between the 2 - oh for a standard class system. :confused:

Scottie Dog

22/04
7th Jan 2006, 18:11
Virgin also use Z for Discounted Business Class I believe (No Chaffeur driven car etc.)

goldeneye
7th Jan 2006, 18:29
Z is also a Nett (consol) Business class fare wirth Lufthansa

White Hart
7th Jan 2006, 22:17
The missus tells me that, with American, a Z-fare ticket is a mileage award ticket in First Class (AAdvantage program).

Not to be confused with ZED tickets issued by most airlines (Zonal Employee Discount, I think!), which are basically Economy staff travel tickets.

agent x
7th Jan 2006, 22:36
At my airline Z class denotes discounted Premium Economy and X class is used for redemption bookings. It does vary from airline to airline though!

Epsilon minus
8th Jan 2006, 08:20
Guys
Thank you all very much. however is there a document or even better a web site thats decodes all these air fare class codes?
Regards
EM

agent x
9th Jan 2006, 03:25
Guys
Thank you all very much. however is there a document or even better a web site thats decodes all these air fare class codes?
Regards
EM

Simple answer - no. Only because such a list would be virtually impossible to compile because all ticket class indicators are used differently airline to airline.

(Airline Ticket) Agent x

Epsilon minus
9th Jan 2006, 07:03
Agent X
Thank you. It seems a bit strange that there is no IATA convention on this subject. If I interpret your post correctly, airlines make up class codes as they go along ?

agent x
9th Jan 2006, 19:04
Agent X
Thank you. It seems a bit strange that there is no IATA convention on this subject. If I interpret your post correctly, airlines make up class codes as they go along ?

It's not that they make them up as they go along. For example F,C and Y mean the same thing ticket class wise at the majority of airline. F - full fare first class, C - full fare business class, Y - full fare economy class. The remaining class indicators are used individually by each airline in accordance with their own fare structures. My airline uses C D J I R // U L Z //Y S B M H V K Q W N. Ticketing indicators shown in order from most expensive to least expensive business//econ +//economy.

Agent x

Taff_flyer
9th Jan 2006, 19:48
There is indeed an IATA resolution on class usage but some of the definitions are quite generic like "economy discounted". For some selling classes it's vital to follow the resolution particularly where interline sales are made and for others it's not that important. The main alliances tend to agree class usage together to aid interline selling, codeshare and the like.
Airlines are different: my airline uses F A Z // J C D I U // W T P // Y B H K M R V N L S Q O G X E for selling classes in order highest/lowest!

VHF FLYER
9th Jan 2006, 21:32
There is indeed an IATA resolution on class usage but some of the definitions are quite generic like "economy discounted". For some selling classes it's vital to follow the resolution particularly where interline sales are made and for others it's not that important. The main alliances tend to agree class usage together to aid interline selling, codeshare and the like.
Airlines are different: my airline uses F A Z // J C D I U // W T P // Y B H K M R V N L S Q O G X E for selling classes in order highest/lowest!

This is interesting stuff to the average punter like meself....
I'm guessing that all airlines have some kind of commonality / pecking order--- F= first class or best. Y used to = 'tourist class' I believe (or bottom of the pile).
Quite often I buy a ticket based on where and when and have no idea what merits it has. Are there any rough guides as to what is good and not?

striparella
9th Jan 2006, 23:19
. Y used to = 'tourist class' I believe (or bottom of the pile).

Don't underestimate a full fare economy ticket! These are rare!

Cheaper to upgrade, fully flexible, and maybe, just maybe if Y is oversold you'll be one of the first looked at to op-up.

Also. if you miss a conx, chances are you'll be able to be rebooked onto another airline. I've sat at flight conx when 10 people missed one of our flights because of weather - not the previous airlines fault. All we could do for 9 of them in their X, N and Q classes was re-book them for the next days flight and they had to find and finance their own hotels for the night etc but that one full Y fare ticket? He was on the next flight outta LHR with a different airline.

It's far better than those X and N tickets. They REALLY are the bottom of the pile!

Globaliser
10th Jan 2006, 02:00
Don't underestimate a full fare economy ticket! These are rare!

Cheaper to upgrade, fully flexible, and maybe, just maybe if Y is oversold you'll be one of the first looked at to op-up.And on a very rare full Y one-way fare for me a couple of weeks ago, I believe that someone was moved after I'd checked-in online in order to give me an empty seat next to me. Very nice, and much appreciated in an 85% cabin, even though we were nowhere near the booking levels needed for op-ups.