PDA

View Full Version : JPA - Good or Bad?

ProfessionalStudent
7th Jan 2006, 14:17
So. What will JPA do for us?

Will it make our lives better?

Will it make our lives easier?

Will the RAF finally get paid the same every month, rather than having to eat beans on toast throughout March?

Personally, I think...

Infuriate us
No
No
Hope so:confused:

PPRuNeUser0211
7th Jan 2006, 15:06
Surely the worst thing about JPA means that it will put an end to "I'm putting your leave pass in my in-tray bloggs...." gardening leave, an issue for the millions of holding officers currently making up the strength of the air force....

FFP
7th Jan 2006, 15:41
So JPA = Less unofficial time off for holding officers ? If holding, you are either . .

1) Doing the square root of zero, in which case going on expeds, courses and your leave entitlement is more than enough.

Or

2) Solely running the Ops room (which there are and many guys and girls do a good job of it too) in which case you have the same leave entitlement as everyone else. So use it, and do a job which you are getting paid for !!!

My heart bleeds . . . . (wasn't like this in my dat blah de blah)

LateArmLive
7th Jan 2006, 16:23
Well, give the poor Kevs something worthwhile to do and maybe they won't be bored to death after waiting for their next stage of training. But this is off topic so I'll stop here:)

ZH875
7th Jan 2006, 16:29
Will the RAF finally get paid the same every month, rather than having to eat beans on toast throughout March? After eating Steak everyday in Feb, thanks to 31 days pay from January.

The question is "If pay is divided equally into 12 monthly slices, will we get an extra days pay for February 29th", or will that be 'Lost' to the taxman?

FFP
7th Jan 2006, 16:32
Best thing about it will be the increase in LSAP when JPA comes in.

If you are thinking of buying a house this year, just hang slack and check the details on this. Could make a massive difference if I understand it correctly

SirToppamHat
7th Jan 2006, 16:46
Never understood the complaints about unequal pay month on month - surely the main problem is the fact that the Pay gets screwed up so often. Almost invariably mine gets messed-up every time I move house. Still, I suppose I shouldn't expect too much as it's not as if I work for an organisation where everyone gets posted every couple of years .... Doh!

As for JPA, I can't believe we will require less admin staff to sort out problems with it that we currently have with the existing system!

Does Joint Pers Admin mean that allowances will be common between the Services? What about those things that the RAF gave up (eg Fuel Subsidy Scheme) to get Flying Pay instead? Thought not!

I know my Boss went on a Stakeholders' Day a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen much info around the bazars. Does anyone know whether the recent CinC's Study Period covered this and what the conclusions were?

STH

Elmlea
7th Jan 2006, 17:19
Will the RAF finally get paid the same every month, rather than having to eat beans on toast throughout March?

I've been told that yes, it'll finally be 12 equal payslips!

Eating beans through March was more than made up for by being able to blow 31 days' pay quickly through February ;)

Green Bottle 2
8th Jan 2006, 03:41
JPA,

good thing as I won't have to fill out a from on the computer, print it off, sign it, get it signed by my flight comd, send it through the post or deliver it personally to PSF, wait for them to get 2 more signatures then finally they put the details onto their computer again and I get paid.

It will be a pain when it starts as people get used to the new system.

It will be a pain when the staff at the call centre get used to the new system.

There will be teething problems.

But, eventually we will have a system that is somewhat more modern. In a few years time, we will use the system without a thought, and we will have forgotten how bad the current system is.

The allowances package for the Services has already been standardised to allow JPA to work.

GB2

L J R
8th Jan 2006, 08:47
Currently 'professionals' at PSF can't get the details on two identical sorted (ie same travel claim, different P staff = different amounts of travel claim refund). Some interpretations seemingly allow some items on the claim, others don't. If this is happening now, what chance do we have of getting our claims right without the inuendo of fraud etc. Claiming something we believe is claimable but having it rejected is OK, but claiming something that we believe is allowable, but later proven wrong will no-doubt catch a lot of people out.

Yeller_Gait
8th Jan 2006, 17:33
We had a bosses chat about JPA just the other day, after he had attended some meeting or demonstration to do with JPA.

The idea of doing most of your own admin, from home if you really want over the internet, filling in and authorising your own leave passes, submitting your own travel and expenses claims etc etc, sounds good, especially if it does get rid of a lot of admin staff.

There is also a "PVR Now" button within the system, apparently. I just hope that the software builders have the sense to disable it between the hours of 1800-0800. There is also an "Un-PVR Now" button too though.

What will be difficult to manage will be the fact that when you submit a travel claim, you may need to keep any receipts you have, given that you will be on actuals, for up to 3 years, just in case your claim is subject to audit.

Only about 10 weeks till JPA is rolled out here, already we are not allowed to submit leave applications for post March, as they will have to be submitted on JPA. I just hope that the system is up and working by the time I am due to go on holiday in the summer.

Y_G

Chinny Crewman
8th Jan 2006, 19:35
"Best thing about it will be the increase in LSAP when JPA comes in.

If you are thinking of buying a house this year, just hang slack and check the details on this. Could make a massive difference if I understand it correctly"

Any more gen on this one? What will the upper limit be? Will it still be taxable over 5K?

ProfessionalStudent
8th Jan 2006, 19:57
Are Officers entitled to LSAP?

The East Wing could do with a new conservatory...:E

PerArdua
9th Jan 2006, 08:15
Cynical I know but when a new 'lean' engineering tool is introduced manpower is cut immediately to make the most of the savings, remember the 35% of all the savings from LITS were from the Tornado and this money was promptly spent on something else, LITS then didn't deliver the savings because of contractual issues but the money was not available and spares became a major problem. Now here comes an admin system (JPA) which promises to 'save' time and money which uses the individuals integrity to make direct claims against the money pot which has obviously created savings somewhere but are the Blunties being sent to McDonalds or KFC like they deserve, are they bug:mad: ry. They are all still there. Another example where the operation engineering suffers and that is our job but don't upset the people who should have tried harder at school.

Rant over

PA

endplay
9th Jan 2006, 09:07
Sorry to disappoint on LSAP but the proposed big bucks increase didn't get past the bean counter stage. It's a max of £8.5k, limited by "benefit in kind" taxation rules, so it won't make a huge difference. The only significant change is the age limit which is being dropped from age 35 to 4 years service. And yes, officers can apply.

Chinny Crewman
9th Jan 2006, 18:21
"didn't get past the bean counter stage. It's a max of £8.5k, limited by "benefit in kind" taxation rules,"

Bugger! but thanks anyway.

Grimweasel
9th Jan 2006, 20:04
It will be very good. The muted Internet access will not happen due to security and intergration issues. There will be intranet terminals in the mess, shq's etc at a rate of 1 per 50 persons etc and some other figures.

Intranet e-learning goes live in the next week or so, then u can all see for your self. The software is based on Oracle HR with added bolt-ons.

The JPAC will, after a few security q's much like telephone banking, provide a telephone service for those deployed / unable to access a PC.

All claims etc will go thru a line manager first for approval so random false claims will be kept to pretty much zero.

Further updates to come.....