PDA

View Full Version : Another Fatal Accident

BAKELA
6th Jan 2006, 19:17
According to the news, an aircraft went down in SA with one fatality and one serious injured. Airport manager was on radio but could not get the location. Any info on this?

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Jan 2006, 06:31
Sabre motor glider out of Saldanha went down. Pax has also subsequently passed away.:(

Thoughts with the families.

4HolerPoler
7th Jan 2006, 09:30
http://www.news24.com/Images/Photos/2006010710420106_planecrash.jpgGotta love those shades man!

An industrial psychologist and a young woman died when the aircraft in which they were on their way to their holiday home, crashed at an airfield at Saldanha Bay. Dr Gunther Paul, 45, of Kimberley, who was also a hypnotherapist, died instantly about noon on Friday when the chartered Cabre ZU-DVX aircraft crashed. With him was Charlotte Jaquire, who would have turned 21 on January 22. The seriously injured Jaquire, daughter of Paul's girlfriend, Rita Jaquire, died a few hours later in the West Coast Private Hospital at Vredenburg. They were holidaying at Dwarskersbos.

Calla van Heerden of Moorreesburg told Die Burger he arrived at the Saldanha aerodrome from Port Elizabeth in his Piper Cherokee 140 on Friday about 11:50He told Saldanha air-traffic control that he was intending to land. 'It looked as if he had problems' "The person in an aircraft waiting to take off informed me he would wait for me to land first before taking to the air and that he intended doing a quick flight to Dwarskersbos."

Van Heerden landed and watched Paul taking off. "It looked as if he had problems warming up his engine. "He started his take off, stopped, and took off again. "He had tremendous problems getting into the air. "About 200 feet above the ground he turned left with the wind. "His aircraft then lost speed and plunged to the ground. "I was the first to reach the wreck. "The pilot was dead, but the girl was still breathing. "Both of them still had on their safety belts. "I first pulled him away from the girl and then took her out of the wreck. "Another person then helped me to take the pilot out of the cockpit. "There wasn't a lot of blood, but the girl had serious injuries to her face. "The legs of both people were broken and the girl was then taken to the hospital," he said. A heart-broken Rita Jaquire said on Friday at their holiday home she had heard from people at the aerodrome what had happened. Charlotte was the eldest of her four children. "She was doing a course in safety and risk management in Pretoria and was to have joined her boyfriend in Australia in March. "He told me he had already bought their engagement ring when I broke the news to him."

Jaquire will stay in Dwarskersbos as the civil aviation authorities are investigating the crash and need her to stay on to identify the bodies again. Jeanette Clark and Hannatjie van der Merwe report from Kimberley that Paul's death has hit the diamond city like a shock wave. Liesel Hugo, his partner in the practice, said he was popular as a psychologist because he had a lot of empathy with people. He was to have been back at work on Monday. Paul leaves three children from a previous marriage. Supt Jacobus Fortuin, station commissioner at Saldanha police station, said a case of culpable homicide was being investigated.

flyboy2
7th Jan 2006, 16:11
Commiserations to the families.

Why do they "open a case of culpable homicide " ?

How the press gets it all wrong ;i.e Cadre instead of a Sabre & since when does Saldanha have Air Traffic Control ?

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Jan 2006, 04:01
Also referred to the flight by an experimental motor glider as a "charter". Some media mong even called it a Cessna.:rolleyes:

Take it in the context of the Spoories engine out on the 744 out of Cape Town being a load of sensationalist gutter journo crap and it's not surprising no one takes the fluffy meeja seriously. Too busy promoting the agenda of the ruling elite to get it right.:* :yuk:

B Sousa
8th Jan 2006, 10:54
"About 200 feet above the ground he turned left with the wind. "His aircraft then lost speed and plunged to the ground.

Sadly We who have flown fixed wing recognize this.......

BAKELA
8th Jan 2006, 11:30
Thanks for the info. Condolences to the families. :(
Flyboy, in any case where there is an unnatural death involving a "vehicle" (whether it be a/c, ship, bus, car etc) in which a passenger or party (ie. pedestrian) dies, with the exception of the person in charge (or command) of such a "vehicle", a case of culpable homocide has to be opened as a starting point for the police investigation. Once established that no intent existed and that no gross negligence was evident the culpable homicide case is removed from the clipboard of the SAPS investigating officer. Eisch...I hope I conveyed that in a manner that makes sense.
From experience I can only add that the SAPS (and even the old SAP) always lacked knowledge of what to do in the case of aircraft accidents. Lack of training...?:confused:

B Sousa
8th Jan 2006, 16:57
With the "New" SAP it will probably be ruled, Murder/Suicide.