View Full Version : Rotorheads RT book. .

Johe02
6th Jan 2006, 16:26
What about a PPruNe Helicopter RT handbook of commonly used phrases that do not appear in any training manuals but are in common use?

If we put down well used phrases then maybe someone could collate them and sell it, (if its any good). All proceeds to PPruNe, of course. .?

Just a few I can think of. .

Call: Request/to join low level from the West/East etc.
Means: Approaching the field to land from direction below circuit height

Call: Request/to join overhead for autorotation to .....
Means: arriving overhead 2000ft to autorotate to specified area on the airfeild

Call: Lifting from ........ for local and the circuit
Means: Taking off from ....... to do circuits and training (usually) in the local area.

Call: Request departure on track to the East/West etc for .........
Means: Would like to take off in the direction I want to go

Call: Request departure to the East/West etc with runway crossing.
Means: Would like to take off across active runway

Call: To cross the active for departure to
Means: Want to cross active runway

headsethair
6th Jan 2006, 16:52
Call:
Means: I'm a helicopter and I don't need to comply with your stupid rules which were written for fixed wing and gliders. You won't even notice me going.
(pause)
Call: Helicopter G-GAAAAA ready for departure
Means: Christ! There's a load of gliders around. And there's that guy with the 152 who always sticks two fingers to me when I taxi past. Oh yeah - there's his mate in the tower - I can see the reflection off his binoculars.

N Arslow
7th Jan 2006, 08:37
Call from MD902: "Request engine/rotor start for ground run"
Means: Request engine/rotor start for ground run again

Ascend Charlie
7th Jan 2006, 20:35
Call (from Sydney Tower): "Helicopter blah blah blah, remain at Botany Bay Heads, will advise."

Means:" Oh, gawd, I'm too busy fiddling with these planks to allocate one neuron to a helicopter arrival, even though I can see you, you can see me, we both can see the conflicting plank on 7-mile final, and i know that you could whizz along the shores of the bay, totally clear of the traffic and causing zero concern to anybody, be on the ground and shut down before the plank even goes for 40 degrees of flap. But I am part of the B Team, and you gotta do what I say. If I ever make it to the A Team, my response would be: See the plank? Don't hit it, make visual approach, clear to land."

Response (from chopper): "Blah blah blah, holding."
Means: "The bluddy B Team is in the tower again.":*

Whirlybird
8th Jan 2006, 10:10
Call: Request to join low level from the East (or wherever).
Means: I can see you've got loads of people in the circuit, and hear that you're stressed out, and this way I'll keep out of everyone's way.

Call (Tower): Just join the circuit like everyone else; it's very busy.
Means: I haven't got a brain cell spare to realise that you're a helicopter.

Call (5 minutes later): Tower, this is helicopter XXXX. I'm at XYZ, I have the field in sight and I would like a direct low level approach from this position.
Means: I'm a helicopter, you numbskull!

Yes, it's happened.:(

Johe02
8th Jan 2006, 14:43
OK . . I guess it could contain anecdotes too.

:D