PDA

View Full Version : Sim Practice

stall recovery
6th Jan 2006, 13:23
Hi Guys

I may be getting lucky in the next few weeks and have a chance to prove myself with an interview and sim check with a turboprop company. In the meantime I would like to get an hour or so practice to try and blow away some cobwebs!! Can anyone recommend a school/company who can help? Sorry if this has been covered before but can't seem to get the 'search' option to work?!?!?
If anyone can also recommend a particular instructor to approach as well that would be even better.

Thanks in anticipation!

SR

757manipulator
6th Jan 2006, 13:32
Stall, I dont have any schools I can recommend (having never used one etc for a sim):\
What I would say is a couple of things; first of all when you do go for a sim check, unless you have experience on a particular type of T/P the instructor will be looking for you to do the basics well, for that you dont need a sim..FS2000/02/04 will do it just as well.

Secondly, even before you shoot off to go and book a sim etc...I would suggest you try to beg steal or borrow a copy of the sim profile, thats if you can get your hands on it!

I hope this helps

LKMflyboy
6th Jan 2006, 17:03
I'm in a similar position to stall recovery and would welcome any info on jet sims in the SE that people have been to for sim preparation. Had planned on using the Trident sim at Biggin, but it's currently u/s!

Many thanks...

pilot-320
7th Jan 2006, 20:07
WWW.VIRTUALAVIATION.COM ... A BIT EXPENSIVE BUT IT IS WORTHY!!!! THEY ONLY HAVE JETS AND THEY COOPERATE WITH BRITISH AIRWAYS... CHECK IT OUT GUYS AND GOOD LUCK!!! A GOOD ADD ON SUCH AS THE EUROWINGS PROFESSIONAL FOR THE 2004 SIM WHICH INCLUDES THE ATRS IS A GOOD INEXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVE. GOOD LUCK TO U ALL!!! CIAO

Please, there is no need to shout. Turn your Caps Lock key off.

Scroggs

pilot-320
7th Jan 2006, 20:08
CORRECTION FOR THE ABOVE: WWW.VIRTUALAVIATION.CO.UK !!!

Sky Wave
7th Jan 2006, 22:00
From what I've seen virtual aviation are very expensive. You should contact jetlinx, same BA level D sims much cheaper, instructors all current line pilots.
http://jetlinx.co.uk

You should also consider what type of aircraft your sim check will be on. It's pointless doing the sim prep on the latest generation BA aircraft if your sim check is on a BAC1-11. I believe there is a L1011 and 747-200 sim at Bournemouth but I'm not certain of the details.

SW

pushapproved
8th Jan 2006, 07:21
There is a L1011 simulator at Bournemouth, last known to cost £250 per hour.

Try www.bcft.org.uk for further information.

P.S. This is a full-motion flight sim, pictures are available on the website above!

Waka Rider
17th Jan 2006, 10:00
For the BAC 1-11 sim give Mike Boulton a call 07799887274 the guy is ace with the BA and BACX interviews. If you belong to BALPA he gives a discount ( or did ). I used him and many of my friends have successfully as well.

Telstar
17th Jan 2006, 10:22
You could save yourself a few squids with the 737-200 in Dublin, it was about 300 Euro an Hour including instructor abotu a year ago. Contact Parc or Simtech.ie in Dublin.

An2
17th Jan 2006, 10:32
300€ for an hour of 737 Jurassic sim!!! :ugh:
Mind you, that instructor had better be good!! :}

cavortingcheetah
17th Jan 2006, 10:35
:hmm:

If you have no turbo prop experience, in my opinion, you would be wasting your time and sowing confusion if you tried to do some training practice in a turbine simulated simulator.
The check ride must focus on your basic skills and if these need brushing up you can do the job just as well in any normally aspirated simulated twin simulator.
What I would do though is, once you're up to speed on normal twin hold and approach speeds; have an extra session on the simulator with the speeds increased to, say, 160kts in the hold and 120kts for the approach, or whatever the typical flight profile speeds are for the turbo prop which you are after.
That's really the only difference that should concern you. The higher speeds and not getting woefully left behind.
Good luck!:D