PDA

View Full Version : Approach Plates and Charts

Jetwake
5th Jan 2006, 19:19
Although I do not fly (im only 13) I know that charts and plates are/have been very important in pilot navigation. Personally, I still see Pilots looking over maps in the cockpit before i board the plane. However, as aircraft technology and ATC is moving on at such a rate are approach plates still used to the same extent as they once were. Is vectoring more common for IFR flights?

In addtion if pilots still do use approach charts/plates and they need to land at an undesired location are there any means to get appraoch plates or do they simply have to do without one. I ask these questions because from the approach plates I have studied, they seem to show a lot of information that ATC may not have the time or need to give.

Any feedback is appreciated

Full Emergency
5th Jan 2006, 21:17
I am not saying that pilots carry all the approach plates or info re EVERY airport/runway in the world, but I always see Captains and First Officers carry a very large black leather holdall, which I believe contains the relevant info on the airports that they will pass, or are like to be diverted to in the event of an emergency, just in case.

That is unconfirmed, although it would make sense.

FE

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
5th Jan 2006, 21:44
Jeppesen volumes for many European countries are carried in many cockpits.

Especially for the ad-hoc operators who can get called away to any airport at a moment's notice.

Dash-7 lover
6th Jan 2006, 08:56
Many airlines have 'tailored' guides specific to their needs with either outside agencies updating them on a regular basis or keeping it 'in-house'. For example you could have 2 folders and a set of maps either side of the cockpit. Folder A would be all the main destinations with Folder B holding all the possible alternates and then low and high level charts. Aerad and Jeppesen are the 2 main players. Personally I find Aerad easier to read and amend.

10 DME ARC
6th Jan 2006, 10:17
Even if the approach is radar vectored you still need an approach chart for the ILS, VOR, NDB or SRA you are using. For things like MDH/A, Minimum decent height/altitude, the lowest level the a/c can descend to without being visual with the runway or SDF, Step down fix, a minimum level at that point of the approach because of an obstacle etc. So a pilot should have the approach plate available however he fly’s the approach.

Gary Lager
6th Jan 2006, 12:00
Or the radar might break...

Or ATC make an error...

Or they might not want to vector us...

Or there might not be a radar in the first place...

Or we might suffer a comms failure...

And it's always nice to know what to expect when popping out of cloud at any height...

And where all the hills are...

We also usually need a taxy chart and a few pages of associated local airport regulations.

We carry a thick folder with all the charts in for our scheduled destinations (around 30-40) by the side of each pilot, there's also a great big holdall with charts/plates for most other airports we may ever have to use along our route network.

vapilot2004
6th Jan 2006, 18:09
.......And then there's the Windows-based EFBs - Electronic Flight Bags used on the 777 and the new A380 among others.

Every chart you could possibly desire would be available via one of these units. Even so, hardcopies (paper) would still be on board - whether it is due to the regs/SOPs or by virtue of our prudent flight crew.

Gary Lager
6th Jan 2006, 18:32
'Course, as we know, nothing ever goes wrong with windowsrbkabkualugcliublaibwlkblkwclknlnoskjbskjcbx

BOAC
6th Jan 2006, 19:16
300' ft on finals, 35kts across, engine out and 8/8 at 201' and up comes the message

'Your free trial period has expired. Please log-on to purchase' :)

I've seen a similar image somewhere.................

captain cumulonimbus
7th Jan 2006, 15:04
hi jetwake.

Yes,we do use Instrument Approach Plates every day.Vectoring is often just part of a published instrument Arrival or departure route.in fact,it has its own symbology on the CAA and Jeppessen charts.(little joined arrows).

As for using enroute maps in the cockpit,they are always used,even though glass-screen navigation may be installed.The charts contain a huge amount of info on frequencies,times of operation of navaids,flight level info,safety warnings etc,and thus are a vital supplement to the navigation systems onboard.

We also have to carry,by law,all the latest updated approach plates for all diversion airfields,plus those for all the appropriate possible diversion airports enroute.An example of this was the Af 777 that was going from the far east to paris and diverted,out of nececity to Irkutsk.They certainly would have had the charts for that field despite it being merely somewhere near there planned route.It is in such circumstances that having the charts'importance is illustrated.

PM me if you want more info.

Cheers,Cb

FLCH
7th Jan 2006, 17:15
Aw c'mon ccb we carry maps to act as sunshades and to wrap Christmas gifts in........ :)

captain cumulonimbus
8th Jan 2006, 08:43
Jeez FLCH,at $10US a go,its expensive wrapping paper!:p

Sunshades...well,ok,i'm guilty:sad:

Jetwake
8th Jan 2006, 17:00
Thanks all, its answered a lot of questions.