PDA

View Full Version : How to be a freight dog?

David_Lid Air
5th Jan 2006, 18:55
Hi to you all:) .

I am a 22yr old guy from sweden that is very intererrested to fly cargo.. Mainly it is because that seems to be the easiest way to have a chance to fly an older airplane for a living.. Nowaydays it seems like all aircrafts are all computerised!

Im am currently a student pilot but in 3 months time i´m expected to be ready for the big world so any help would be nice =)

Sorry for the bad english;)

Thanks

/David

Exhaust Manifold
11th Jan 2006, 18:35
"How to be a freight dog?"

That's an easy one, work like a dog, work s:mad: t hours, get paid little, live in unlivible places and of course have the most fun doing it :ok:

David_Lid Air
11th Jan 2006, 18:37
hehe that sounds like alot of fun:ok:

CAP509castaway
12th Jan 2006, 15:18
Simple contact Westair Sweden!!!!:ok: :ok: :ok:

David_Lid Air
12th Jan 2006, 16:21
Westair Sweden is maybe a good place to start at.. But i dont think that my 220hrs would be enough though :)

Someone who knows if there are any carriers in Europe that hires Low time pilots?

Kitsune
12th Jan 2006, 16:51
Try MK....or Air Atlanta :cool:

David_Lid Air
12th Jan 2006, 17:36
Try MK....or Air Atlanta :cool:

Daede1
12th Jan 2006, 17:41
African International would be a good shot too. Based in LGW (Look up Intavia).

David_Lid Air
13th Jan 2006, 14:30
Thanks for all the suggestions :) . I must say that MK has a really nice oldie in their fleet :ok: , oh my what a joy it must be to feel and hear that great Dc8

ALLDAYDELI
13th Jan 2006, 14:52
MK DC8s all now withdrawn from use.

Exhaust Manifold
13th Jan 2006, 16:57
That killed the mood :\

If you have a brave heart and a (very) strong stomach you can try africa (you'll need to validate/convert your licence though). Fun flying but hard work.

Treetopflyer
20th Jan 2006, 19:36
...And LOTS of older airplanes. Not many computer planes down there. 220hrs might be a bit slim though, except for bush jobs on C206s and the like.

Good luck to ya.:ok:

captjns
22nd Jan 2006, 16:52
First you have to learn the latin term

"CARGO KANINOUS"

Take if from there.;)

Ingwe
23rd Jan 2006, 11:05
David

Sorry to disappoint you but MK definately doesn't recruit low time guys and I don't think (but might be wrong) that African International do either, plus you also have to be type rated?

David_Lid Air
23rd Jan 2006, 11:08
I will get hired by someone somehow.. I just have to figure out who and how :}

Exhaust Manifold
25th Jan 2006, 20:16
That's a good attitude to have :ok: and that makes the difference between getting a job and not. Seen some golden oldies in africa :D

Good luck to you. Hope things come together, keep us posted ;)

David_Lid Air
29th Jan 2006, 13:56
Thank you Exhaust Manifold for the positive comment :). I will keep you guys posted about the progress:ok:

See you around

Cheers

/David

dc8driver@night
6th Feb 2006, 10:03
Thanks for all the suggestions :) . I must say that MK has a really nice oldie in their fleet :ok: , oh my what a joy it must be to feel and hear that great Dc8

Hey!! The 8 is great, not old!! The Dc8s I fly have almost as much modern avionics, power, and upgrades as anything coming off of the line today! As a mater of fact, they are cheaper to operate and more fuel efficient on our runs than any of our newer aircraft such as the A300-600, B757, B767, or certainly our B747 (though ours are the older 747s!). Our company is planning to keep the “-73s” in the air for another 14 years but will be retiring the “-71s” a few years earlier. To be honest, they are best suited for freight or packages today. Good luck in your pursuits. If you persevere, you will get there. Attitude and effort make luck.

HeavyDog
7th Feb 2006, 19:52
Sounds like you need a little caravan & deliver tulips to build your hour's Then go to the bucket & spade with the glass.
You'll be thankful later when the fun wears off!
However, once you have your hours needed and you move on, i've always gone with 'if your face fits'.
Good luck.

celtflyer
7th Feb 2006, 22:14
Try aeroservice in miami, For low hours pilot you could consider an FE rating on a 727 for example and I believe they have a fair few positions with carriers all over the world, could be away into the right seat.

LH2
8th Feb 2006, 20:34
If you have a brave heart and a (very) strong stomach you can try africa (you'll need to validate/convert your licence though).

Pardon for jumping in, but I was wondering what kind of licence would you need to fly cargo / bushfly in Africa.

Wannabe here, in case you haven't noticed. Still in the info gathering phase (now that the money gathering phase has pretty much been covered :) )