PDA

View Full Version : Take heed.....

SPS
21st Jun 2001, 17:28
Hello all,

Yes I've been absent from the forum of late and missed it.

I am no longer a Pilot or Instructor and now back in UK. I do not feel able to take part in most discussions on the forum as it feels like I do not have the right somehow.

That said, My site still runs and I'm regularly sent requests for advice on all sorts of topics which I either answer or suggest the best place to get such advice (with reference to the above).

A few days ago I received the letter reproduced below. I am moved to take this measure as I still have the same desire to improve Helicopter flight safety and public perception of them wherever I can, even if I have been unfairly excluded from the industry.

In taking this measure I make no guarantee of the accuracy of the complaint, nor do I judge anyone or 'point the finger' in any direction.

I just think that publishing it could save a lot of problems for operators, pilots and landowners alike if all could read it and see things from someone else's perspective(not that you don't, no judgement, remember?)

And if it is just possible that someone may recognise that they (or someone they know) could be at fault here, then take it as its meant, as a hint, put things right before the awful process begins, OK?

As for others, I only hope that it may help to cut down adverse reports in the future.

Like I say, TAKE HEED....

(The letter and my reply to it is reproduced in full save the omission of names and places to save any embarrasement on all sides).

BEGINS----

Well, an interesting look around your website - one of our sons would love to fly small planes -lots of rules I see.

What we want to know is what are the rules/regulations for flying helicopters over private land while hunting for deer pigs etc, and what can we - as landowners, do about it?

1) We have been having trouble with helicopters flying low up and down our valley. While they may be the correct height over the ground directly below them, they are at times very close to the sides of the valley. They also fly up ridges to arrive at the top very close to the ground causing stock to stampede.

2) Another issue that concerns me is our lack of privacy. They fly at a height where they can see right in through our windows - not a lot of fun at 6am on a Sunday morning, and of course they can see around every hump, hollow and bush on our property whether we like it or not! We have a small but growing tourist business where privacy and peace are main selling points. The novelty of seeing low flying helicopters wears off after the second early morning wakeup.

3) Also, the markings on the helicopters are not always clear - small, often dark on a darker background. The helicopter flies so fast past or over you don't have time to read the markings, or more usually, just off to one side so you cannot see under.
Overall colours are often very similar between helicopters with the dark green or black ones being hardest of all to see - especially in dusk or against a bushclad hill.

Hope you can help us out.
thanks

(Name editied out)

New Zealand.

Reply -----

Dear ,

Yes there are rules and you as landowners have the upper hand. Fully understand your reasons for wanting to find out too.

However, in the first instance it would be far more effective for you to find out which operator is responsible yourself, ask for a meeting and speak to them in a positive manner. Be firm but fair, air your concerns once only and do not over-emphasise (as defence mechanisms will cloud the issue and you will recive a lot more respect). They are very likely to be local. They'll know that you have the option to go to CAA on the matter so it won't need even a mention and you'll find they'll take it a lot better than from a position of opposition. (It may be, for instance, that they would avoid your property altogether if you approach them and sort it out with them).

I don't mind helping out as an go-between if it will save a lot of grief on both sides. Depends if I know the operator or if I can contact them. It would help if I knew where you are precisely, so I'd know who is likely to be involved.

Try to get registration markings and if it's a fleeting glance don't concentrate on the ZK -H part (if included) but get the last three letters. Then let me know and we'll see if we can trace and speak to the owner/operator/pilot(s).

Much better to explore this avenue first before speaking to the powers that be, the NZ CAA is in a lot of trouble right now (sorting out a mess of its own making) and it is unlikely that they will react in a manner that is useful to you in any event

Thanks for saying the site was interesting!

Best regards

Steve Sparrow

www.helicopterpilotsguide.com (http://www.helicopterpilotsguide.com)

(The person who wrote to me will be sent a link to this thread in the hope that they may recognise something is being done and that it may well not be necessary to go to the 'authorities'.)

Heliport
21st Jun 2001, 20:41
Welcome back - thought you'd been quiet recently.
Puzzled by your "I do not feel able to take part in most discussions on the forum as it feels like I do not have the right somehow."
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif
You've got as much right as anybody else - your contributions are always welcome.

Heliport

Vfrpilotpb
21st Jun 2001, 20:46
Hi Steve,

I am unsure as to how a Pilot / instructor, can become not a Pilot/instructor, the only way I can see this is, You've retired(But you are to young), or your ticket has ben lifted by the Law, or you have forgotten to renew it, or you have won the lottery, come on Steve let us all know!
PR-B

RW-1
21st Jun 2001, 21:41
Steve's moving to the black ops section, you know, one of those black heli's that cruise the valleys close tot he sides at 6AM looking into the windows ..... :)

You have to give up all possesions and ratings prior to entrance, to give that "Rebellious Pilot" image ....

Darn it Steve, if you can type, you can post.

------------------
Marc

Pac Rotors
21st Jun 2001, 23:07
Steve

Amazing how some people go right over the top. Unless the helo is flying extremely low there is no way they can look right into the windows of their house. Heck I was flying in the Police helo last week and even from 500ft you still need stab binos to get a clear look into somewhere on the ground so with the naked eye from even a couple of hundred feet doubt they would get much of an eyeful.

Maybe the helo is flying up the valley for safety reasons, who knows. Best way to work out whose machine it is is to get them to describe what it looks like, Jetranger type lines or like an egg (500 series) or smaller with boom (300C or R-22). Then get out your NZ Wings directory and see what operators are in the area and if they operate the type.

Guarantee it will only take a couple of calls. If you like let me know the details when you get them and will see what I can find out.

The one thing that gets to me is people like this complain now but if there is a bush fire or they need airlifting out then they scream for a helicopter to come and help them.

Regards

PR

ShyTorque
22nd Jun 2001, 01:28
This MUST be stamped on. Myself and many others like me only learned to fly in order to see into people's windows.

Why should people think they are entitled to privacy; it is a basic human right to be able to look at other people in their pyjamas.

We have to fly early in order to catch people while they are still sleepy, when they have just opened their curtains.

(We could make this just as good as any chemtrails site).

ShyT