PDA

View Full Version : Work in Nepal

RomeoAlfa
5th Jan 2006, 10:39
Any comments about the country appreciated.Are the foreigners allowed to work on flying positions,what companies are best equipped,wages,etc.
I know,that Twin Otters are workhorses in Nepal,and many fatal accidents happened there too.What about helis?Some russian-built Mil-17 noticed there but what about western helicopters,like AS350 and so on?

dogwhistle
9th Jan 2006, 08:02
On one of my many trips there I saw the remains of a Twin Otter that had struggled to get airborne and hit the new perimeter fence at the end of the runway with the nose gear then fell off the end of the airfield into a rice field about 2 hundred feet below. The wings were sheered off and all on board died. Caused by overloading. I have seen many examples of bad maint and can understand why they have so many accidents. The aircraft that survive there seem to be the older stronger ones. Operators come and go regularly. I would not recommend the place for working but great for a holiday. People are among the friendliest around.

RomeoAlfa
9th Jan 2006, 09:39
Hmm!Thanx!What about local pilots?Are they good ?

dogwhistle
10th Jan 2006, 02:55
Local pilots are basically ok and of course get great experience flying in that mountinous region. Over the years they have also had several Indian pilots there. A few years ago at KTM I met a group of Russian pilots and engineers operating Mil 8's and 17's. They were training locals to take over the operation. Over the years there have been several Do228's operating plus as you said, Twin Otters. On one of my trips, the company I assisted there took delivery of a new Caravan and three days after it arrived the US pilot flew it over the top of Everest! Unfortunately that aircraft ended up like so many; in a heap somewhere in the mountains.

RomeoAlfa
10th Jan 2006, 10:27
O-oo!
would you recommend reliable airlines,they have alot of:Gorkha Air,Buddha Air,etc.

RomeoAlfa
24th Jan 2006, 12:44
Seems like they only have 9N-XXX reg's?

dogwhistle
25th Jan 2006, 01:48
I've never seen anything other than Nepalese registered aircraft operating there. One of the main reasons of course is that if an operator had a foreign registered aircraft they would have to get local pilots licences validated by the CAA from the country of registration. Much easier to change the registration.

RomeoAlfa
25th Jan 2006, 09:15
I see...How they operated Twin Otters,as a single pilot or 2 pilots crew?

dogwhistle
26th Jan 2006, 01:39
Twin Otters ; - 2 crew.