PDA

View Full Version : International schools

puff m'call
5th Jan 2006, 08:12
Would someone be kind enough to give me a run down on good international schools in Singapore.

I'am in the M.E. sand pit at the moment and getting very fed up with it all, thinking long and hard about SQ but need to know about schools for an eight year old english girl.

Would be grateful for your help.

Happy new year fliers.

Thermal Image
5th Jan 2006, 08:47
This should keep you busy for an hour at least:

http://www.singapore.alloexpat.com/singapore_information/international_schools_singapore.php

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/guides-for-expats/international-schools.htm

http://www.expatsingapore.com/school/index.shtml

MASsenger
6th Jan 2006, 05:35
Schools are very good in Lion City. Get out of that mad place mate. Come over to civilization & enjoy life.

Phil Squares
6th Jan 2006, 06:28
There is no comparison between the school situation in the sandpit and Singapore. If you move to Singapore after Feb, you can still enroll your children into school straight away. Not like in the DXB.

puff m'call
6th Jan 2006, 09:25
Cheers guys, appreciate the help.

Are any of you SQ Flight Deck, if so what are the chances of a command on the B747 pax, not the freight?

Left Coaster
6th Jan 2006, 10:37
Hey..pretty new to SQ, but from what I can tell, and from the websites (both Cargo and Mainline) it would seem that the 744 Cargo fleet is where you would go if you joined for that type...they are short crew for now on the 744 (Cargo) and encouraging some "cross-over" to the cargo fleet. The SQ website is looking for 340 and 777 people last time I looked. We moved here from your neck of the woods and it's made a differance in life for us. Hope this helps...PM if you need more.
Cheers

NZLeardriver
7th Jan 2006, 03:37
Its been a few years now since I was at school in Singapore, but I think alot depends on where you are from, where you want to live, and how old your kids are.
The Australian school has a decent sized new campus and used to have some very good teachers. It also used to have some very poor teachers.
I believe the American School also has a very good campus and a good reputation.
The Canadian school was very very good.
The French school was useless at rugby.

Of the international schools that are not affiliated with a particular country, UWC, ISS and OFS from memory, I would steer well clear of ISS. UWC has schools in a few countries I think, and most of the students I met from there had a very over inflated sense of self worth and were incredibly spoiled by their parents. Even the good kids often got 'tainted' by their classmates. Of course there were a few exceptions.
OFS I didn't know much about, but now I have some family friends working there. They report that it is turning into a good school.

Please remember that most of this is based from memory from a while ago. When I was at school there one lunch time a 12 year old student went out and bought a $250,000 new Jaguar. The cd player on his other one wasn't functioning right.

Phil Squares
7th Jan 2006, 08:38
If you're looking at international non-affiliated schools OFS and ISS are actually quite good. They are smaller in size, but the faculty there at both schools are top notch. My son finished at ISS last year with an IB and was accepted by King College, LSE and U of East Anglia. He's at UEA right now and has done extremely well and just loves it there.

So, it really depends on what kind of environment your kids want/desire. As far as American School, my impression of it is it's a beautiful campus, way out in Woodlands and it's also very expensive. The attitude of the students/faculty/parents there is something I really don't care for, but that's a personal thing.

As far as going from Cargo to PAX, not yet. However, there are rumblings about having that similar to CX. The cargo side isn't too bad but you will not fly more than about 55 hours/month.

puff m'call
7th Jan 2006, 14:35
Thanks alot guys, nice to get some sensible anwers from people, guess i have to make a few decisions now. Cheers.

longwayfromoz
8th Jan 2006, 05:12
Also consider United World College of SE Asia. Large, ~2900 students from grade 1-12. Graduates earn IB. Waiting list in lower grades.

puff m'call
10th Jan 2006, 16:23
Cheers for that

jai6638
11th Jan 2006, 03:27
Cheers for that

Out of curiosity, which school is she in currently? Wouldnt schools like American School of Dubai/Emirates International School be at par with the one in Singapore academically?

Also, i'd recommend UWC. great school from what i've heard in terms of overall personal development.