PDA

View Full Version : Jets for Rex

SO Warren
5th Jan 2006, 01:55
Apparently Rex have ordered 6 Emraer 170's.

Buster Hyman
5th Jan 2006, 02:38
Nothing on the ASX site.:confused:

Plenty of CRJ chappies out there would be interested!:} :ouch:

Howard Hughes
5th Jan 2006, 05:11
If this is true, it looks like someone's actually done their home work on which jet to get this time!!;) No press releases on the Embraer site either.
Cheers, HH.:ok:

YMEN
5th Jan 2006, 05:39
A month ago i heard that the Ansett Flight Simulator Center at Garden Drive in Melbourne will be getting an Embaer sim soon. So this all makes sense!

Richo
5th Jan 2006, 06:28
Ansett Sim Centre is getting an EMB120 (Brazilia) Simulator. Coming from the US and due to be online mid year.

Shame its not in Perth were most of the EMB120's in the country (11) are.

SO W...... Good try.

Richo

VH-Cheer Up
5th Jan 2006, 06:52
I suspect this is a wind-up.

Aren't Embraer's a bit runway-hungry? (Anyone know the factored runway requirements?)

Didn't Kendell have similar probs with the CRJ, unable to use on some of the sectors that seemed like such a good idea?

Where would Rex be using these Embraers? They're heaps bigger than anything they've currently got!

Cynically...

VHCU

KRUSTY 34
5th Jan 2006, 08:28
Haven't heard anything round the campfire!

Does sound a little "sus". Management have spent the last 3 years, quite conservately I might add, growing the business out of the ashes of the old Ansett regionals. Whilst I must admit that I have never seen things better, it's probably a little premature.

Mind you I have been on leave for the last 2 weeks.

sinala1
5th Jan 2006, 08:55
Is it possible that the Embraers are going to DJ rather than Rex? That rumour has poked its head up again a few times in recent weeks/months... :confused:

VH-Cheer Up
5th Jan 2006, 09:26
I'd doubt it. They are very commited to single type.

And REX only just bought outright one of the Saab's they had on lease...

Warped Wings
5th Jan 2006, 11:31
They are very commited to single type.
Virgin is commited to any type that will make more money! The 144/180 seat 737 is not the best aircraft for many of the "regional" routes. I think the E170/190 will eventually make it to oz for this very reason. Good luck to Rex if they get them first.

nig&nog
5th Jan 2006, 12:04
WW, I think you have hit the nail on the head, any type that makes money is a winner regardless of whatever anyone else thinks, and to bring in another type would be very easy if its a user pay system as they are using now. Good on them if it gets the job done. We need more of this in Oz if the aviation scene is to survive.

Kransky
5th Jan 2006, 13:43
6 x emb170 for Rex?

Bollocks.

If (if!) rex has placed an order, then its news to Embraer. Nothing in their press room. Nothing on their published orders.

If (if again!) rex is secretly ordering aircraft, then they are at the end of a farking long queue. Plenty of time to write ops manuals in the three or so years it might take till the production line catches up to an order placed in late 2005/early 2006.

Several types to serve the market better and grow the market?

Double bollocks.

Just ask JQ. As soon as the last 717 goes ta-da's and A320 are doing all the runs, their cost per seat mile FALLS. Yeah, big aeroplane into little ports, but one type, one set of pilots, sops, etc etc. Those numbers are from the top.

Its a wind up.

wallabyblue
6th Jan 2006, 03:18
Rex is doing way to well to be worried about another type. it's great to see that they have forged a godd business out of the wrecks of ZL and KD.

There's no way that the Singaporean would want to blow it all on a few jets that wont suit their route network. Remember they had to pump multiple millions into REX to keep it going when that Jones goose blew all the initial capital

Warped Wings
6th Jan 2006, 13:30
As soon as the last 717 goes ta-da's and A320 are doing all the runs, their cost per seat mile FALLS.
An aeroplane with a lower seat costs will only deliver better results if you FILL all those seats. True, the cost of introducing a new type (sims, maintenance etc) must be accounted for, but I would bet that a 70-110 seat embraer would eat the 737/A320 on some routes where it is difficult to fill all those extra seats.

haughtney1
6th Jan 2006, 13:42
I still think a new high performance T/P is the way to go for rex, Dash 8 Q400 320kts TAS is a more economic option..and still only 15mins slower on a 500nm mile sector but in comparison to a CRJ, E170....38-45% less fuel burn, plus you can make that time up in a quicker turn around.

Mr.Buzzy
7th Jan 2006, 00:22
Plenty of CRJ chappies out there would be interested!

Just perfect! I'm sure they can show the world how to fly them and how it needs to be flown just like the A320!

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

KDex
7th Jan 2006, 05:41
Buzzy..

A few sour grapes there hey? You wouldn't be one of the group that failed to make the standard for the CRJ? Get over it mate..

You would have be kidding if you think the ex CRJ guys/girls would ever want to return to REX.

Why work with a pilot body who sold them out & scabbed their rightful SAAB/Metro jobs anyway. Today nearly every single CRJ driver is happily flying for a major airline & in a much better position.

Those positions just happen to be where most REX guys would currently sell their left nut to be.

Don't you just love how the wheel turns.

The Stooge
7th Jan 2006, 06:12
I would just like to know why there is always some idiot out there that has to start all this cr@p. We all know that jets are a very long way away and that it probably wont even happen. I doubt that they would get them for VB regional feeder as VB would have to do a lot of upgrading on their res system and at least be able to be acessed on GAL, as it is at the moment it is only a tin pot nickel and dime stand alone system. So can someone please tell me why they have to write so much rot.

Mr.Buzzy
7th Jan 2006, 06:38
bbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... hook line and sinker! That was easy and fun!

No sour grapes over "The CRJ" ( said in a very deep and serious tone) but watching those important decisions being made by pilots was entertaining to say the least......

"jets.. jets... we have to get jets.... no dont worry about baggage... as long as it's a jet..... we're pilots and we NEED to fly jets...."

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

KDex
7th Jan 2006, 10:08
Buzzy..

……hook line and sinker! That was easy and fun!

Your reply shows a shallow depth of character if all you wished for is a bite. How quickly you forget what effects of those guys losing their jobs had on them & their family’s lives. You probably have no understanding anyway as it didn’t effect you. I’m glad you find it amusing.

“Just perfect! I'm sure they can show the world how to fly them and how it needs to be flown just like the A320!”

It is offensive to label an entire group of people with the tag of “arrogance” as you have done so when you are clearly wrong. Many CRJ people whom you have labeled were great people who had given their heart & soul to KD over many years, long before the CRJ. What did they get for their loyalty & dedication, a knife in the back! They certainly did not have the arrogance that you imply.

“but watching those important decisions being made by pilots was entertaining to say the least......”

If your going to comment, at least get your facts correct. If your up on your history mate you will remember that it was KD CEO, Geoff B, & his bean counting management who made all the initial decisions with regard to the CRJ. No pilots were involved at all.

Geoff B’s management team completely stuffed up the aircraft spec’s (ie baggage – cheap low strength floor) & the planning of the initial introduction (Yes Mr Bombardier, we’ll take the cheapest course thanks that no other operator takes!). KD’s finance team even stuffed up the aircraft leasing with US dollar exchange rates. Being too set in their KD ways of “no one can tell us anything” they refused to ask for help until finally CASA rejected the High Cap AOC.

Here lies your answer as to why the CRJ manuals closely followed the A320. It was the quickest way to recover the High Cap AOC application. CASA requested AN to become involved. The manuals were rewritten with the help of A320 pilots. CASA was happy with new manuals & approved the AOC. The intent was to then, over time rewrite the manuals in line with Bombardier’s recommendations. This was in the process of being done prior to the collapse. How would have Geoff B & his management team have looked if this didn’t happen? How many millions of dollars were saved by this? Again, nothing to do with the pilots stuffing up important decisions as you mistakenly refer.

I still find it amusing that REX has taken Geoff back after his disastrous effort at managing KD. How sad.

As I said before, don’t you just love how the wheel turns…

Keg
7th Jan 2006, 10:34
KDex, don't waste your time. A wise person said to me a few months back:

When you wrestle a pig in mud, the pig loves it and you both get dirty

Buzzy's a pig and has shown his colours to be that over a long period of time. He's not worth your effort.

Capt Claret
7th Jan 2006, 10:44
Bloody 'ell Keg. I near fell off me chair when I read your post, I did! :ouch:

Pete Conrad
7th Jan 2006, 16:55
KDex, I know where your coming from, But the turboprop guys who eventually went back to work after the collapse didn't scab anything off the CRJ guys, the Ansett administrators made it pretty clear they didn't want the CRJ's back flying because of the apparent cost, and they were hardly in a position to retrain also.

I for one, felt pretty bad about the guys who didn't get a guernsey back on the Saab and Metro, but don't take anything away from the guys that started Kendell flying after administration, we worked our butts off to see the KD flag flying again, sometimes only flying twice a fortnight and only getting paid when we flew.

Most of us have moved onto bigger and better things, and it's great the CRJ boys are all in work, albeit the ones who chose to retire etc.

Buzzy, I take it from your mouthing off you were not employed by Kendell at the time of the collapse? so as KDex says, shut your trap and get your facts right.

Kransky
7th Jan 2006, 23:13
An aeroplane with a lower seat costs will only deliver better results if you FILL all those seats. True, the cost of introducing a new type (sims, maintenance etc) must be accounted for, but I would bet that a 70-110 seat embraer would eat the 737/A320 on some routes where it is difficult to fill all those extra seats.

You had better ring up JQ headquarters and tell them that groundbreaking news then. Their numbers tell them - go one type. But what would they know?

alangirvan
8th Jan 2006, 03:37
Qantas used to be a one type airline betwen 1979 and 1985 - nothing but 747s ( Combis and SPs. They added 767s because the 6s could match the seat mile costs of the big planes and give better frequency to NZ and some other places. Now NZ gets A320s and 737. At one stage QF was doing 3 times weekly Sydney to Christchurch with 747s, now it is two or three times a day (Qantas 763s, Jetstar A320s).

Yes, a one type fleet makes sense, but with 177 seats in J* configuration, you have a lot of seats for some of the small cities J* will be serving. Will this type be a bit big for BNEMKY ( with no connecting traffic, because J* does not do connections)?

If people in Mackay do not warm to Dash 8s, and the A320s are too big, I think the Qantas Group would need to look at another type. The 717s could be the right size.

This comment would be applicable to routes into Tasmania, Canberra, and other Queensland cities.

CaptHairDryer
8th Jan 2006, 06:38
"If people in Mackay do not warm to Dash 8s, and the A320s are too big, I think the Qantas Group would need to look at another type. The 717s could be the right size."

NANANANANANATIONAL JET?????? x6?
discuss...

alangirvan
8th Jan 2006, 07:43
( this discussion should really be in the thread about QF Mainline pulling out of Mackay)

Did the 717 have some difficulties at airports with high temperatures - ie Mackay? The problems would be similar at airports in NW Ausralia. So, is the performance of Fokker 100s better at those airports?

Embraer 190s would be great planes at those demanding airports if anyone can afford to buy them.

Capt Claret
8th Jan 2006, 08:22
alangirvan,

Do you know that the EMB190 will do well or are you speculating? My understanding is that the EMB was recently assessed as not being rugged enough for our conditions, and that it would strugle in the NW with tyre pressures and hot/high performance.

I've not sought or seen any performance data, so might just be repeating SISO.

CaptHairDryer

Oh, alright. I'll move to Brisvegas and fly one then.