PDA

View Full Version : DGCA 'Nav-Met Composite' Conversion exam experience

Ravian
4th Jan 2006, 21:42
Having taken the Nav-Met composite exam, after opting for self-study instead of joining any of the 'ground theory courses', here's a summary of my learnings from the experience. I found very little information regarding syllabus and the exam format during my preparation. Hopefully this will help anyone else preparing on their own.

1. If you study the "Ground Studies for Pilots" series (underdown, et al), specifically, 'Meteorology', 'Radio Aids', and 'Navigation', you're WELL ahead in the game. Make sure you do all the chapter-end questions.

2. Obtain "Meteorology for Airmen in India, part 1" from English Book Store in Delhi.

3. The exam (was) 3 hours in duration. 82 questions. 4 of 3 marks each, 10 of 2 marks each, and 68 of 1 mark each. Roughly 5 questions were such that a flight computer would lead you straight to the answer in 10 seconds. So one could have saved roughly ten minutes by using a whiz-wheel or electronic flight computer instead of just a scientific calculator - i went for the scientific calculator and finished in 170 minutes.

4. Meteorology consisted of only 15 marks, out of which Indian meteorology accounted for 5.

5. The title 'Navigation' of Nav-Met is slightly misleading: questions ranged from standard navigation techniques, to flight-planning (performance and loading), flight-instruments: construction, errors, mathematical calculations of errors of gyros, etc., construction, principles, operation, and theory of Navaids and Radio navigation instruments, including LORAN, TACAN, VLF-OMEGA, GPS, DME, ILS, NDB, VOR, et al.

6. There WILL be mathematical questions on chart projections, corrections, scales, graticule, etc.

7. Incorrect questions are possible. Be prepared to use the objection sheet (one more reason to use an electronic flight computer - you can use the spare time if needed for filling the objection sheet). I got this gem: "An aircraft is flying at 5000' and passing over a hill. What will be it's altimeter reading?" That's it - that was the whole question - with no supprting information. And all 4 options were cardinal answers - all different from 5000'. To add to the fun, the question was repeated Verbatim in a different segment of the exam - this time, however, with pertinent atmospheric info!

8. Do Not Let the invigilator convince you that you cannot write more than a line or two on your objection sheet!!

9. Nothing under 'flight instruments' is too obscure to appear in the exam.

10. Carry a blue or black BALL PEN.

11. My paper had no questions requiring plotting on or measuring off a map.

Hmmm.... that's all for now.

Onwards to Air Law!

allizz
15th Jan 2006, 07:23
Hi Ravian,

I am loking into converting my Australian ATPL to an Indian ATPL or CPL.

Can you please explain to me how you are going about converting your license, eg. Radio Telephony Certificate, Morse Code Exam and Medical.

Also what aeroplane are you conducting your flight test in, does it have to be a multi engine aeroplane.

I am very new to the process and would greatly appreciate your help.

Cheers

Ravian
15th Jan 2006, 18:18
Hi Alliz

A 'frozen' ATPL cannot be converted. If you have the ATP Licence, then you can take the ATPL conversion exam.

For CPL, the conversion is straightforward - you take two exams: air law and Nav-Met composite. Both are very unlike the Oz exams, and air law is not open book. The exam applications process is quite time consuming - it's a two stage process - so you have to plan ahead roughly six months, especially since the 'previous 6 months' flight time requirements com into play at the time of applying for the CPL, whch you can do only after receiving your pass sertificate - which only happens roughly two months after the exam. All this if you're lucky. It could take longer on the whole.

Flight tests are straightforward if you take 'em on a Cessna 152. Otherwise it gets dodgy. I know one pilot who had to wait two months for a serviceable 172, and an authorised testing officer for the 172.

The Multi-engine IFR conversion is where it gets really complicated. Evidently there are a very few multi's approved for conversion - and ofcourse they must be availaible, along aith testing officers. AND they are way more expensive per hour in India. I believe a Seneca is a safe bet. No Seminoles here. A Beech Ducchess is available too I believe. Not too sure about the stats.

You can, however, do a single engine IR conversion along with your CPL flight test.

The overall time-frame also depends on whether you're an Indian National or not, due to police/security clearance requirements.

Comprehensive discussion of the topic can be found here:

http://www.indianpilots.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=a1e5a68933bf9d6a2212aee012b91a98

All the best

Ravian
15th Jan 2006, 18:21
The Air Law exam...

It had three questions on aviation physiology, including this one: During a prolonged atandard rate turn, if the pilot moves his head abruptly, he is likely to exerience - A. Spatial Disorientation; B. Elevator effect. C. Vertigo

Yes. That was in Air Law. And two more similar ones.

Apart from that, the paper was pretty straight forward and unambiguous.

You need to have memorized significant sections of the Aircarft Regulation, and the AIP ENR (try as I might, I couldn't find a copy of this)

profibus
16th Jan 2006, 00:44
Ravian,

With an Australian CPL / Multi Command IR, how long do you estimate it would take to complete all the written tests, flight tests etc, if I were doing it full time. I am Aussie so am not sure about security requirements.

cheers mate.

(PM me)

Left Wing
16th Jan 2006, 05:43
allizz, If you have a CASA FRTOL you can direcly convert it into Indian.

profibus, if you dont have 1000 PIC on A320 or 737NG, you cannot wrok in India as an FO just like an Indian cannot work in Aus without Aussi PR.

A330AV8R
17th Jan 2006, 08:21
:} Question : is sood still around ?
;)

Left Wing
17th Jan 2006, 12:44
HAHAHAHAAAA:{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I DONT THINK SO

Ravian
17th Jan 2006, 20:54
profibus, if you dont have 1000 PIC on A320 or 737NG, you cannot wrok in India as an FO just like an Indian cannot work in Aus without Aussi PR.

Correct.

Indian law stipulates that atleast one pilot in a two-pilot crew must be Indian. Given the nature of the pool of Indian pilots at present, the only realistic chance of an expat getting extended employment is as a captain, especially since airlines in India take F/O's at zero experience level, fresh off the CPL mill. Hence the most common mix is expat captain, Indian F/O.

A330AV8R
18th Jan 2006, 05:00
Brings back fond memories don't it Left !! :}

Left Wing
18th Jan 2006, 11:35
very painfull memories in fact :mad: :mad: :mad: :} not much has changed in good old DGCA it still remains the death call for every Inidan pilot.

msbatcha777
26th Jan 2006, 03:06
Ravian and all..... please help me with this funny Qs!!
I heard that for converting foreign pilots licence..... if i see the right people... i can make money talk to get those conversions done in India! They are saying that i have to formally appear for the exams but don't necesarily have to pass the paper!!!
How tru is that?
I heard that they will also help you with the exam questions!!
MO

Hairy Chest
26th Jan 2006, 04:33
msbatcha777, I know many AI pilots who have passed teir ATP the same way. It happnes every day at DGCA.

Hey if you find the right person let us all know :rolleyes:

masalama
26th Jan 2006, 09:26
m777....
my only advice is don't try that route to pass your exams....there's always been rumors of some dodgy ways of getting thru.....but I'm sure if u've taken your classes and done your hard work/preparation....you'll get thru , if not the first time , then definitely in two goes......remember, if u pay somebody to help u pass, u've just aided and helped corruption flourish..... it just makes it tougher for legitimate candidates to pass the exam ....u may get thru and eventually get a job somewhere but do u want that stain on your conscience for the rest of your life?????

Concentrate on the subjects, don't listen to the rumor mongers and if possible, report those that make these claims to the Director of training, DGCA , if not face to face, then confidentially and anonymously....things are bad but we can make a difference ....I remember the same when converting back in 1996...it's demoralising but in the long run, I'm happier that I passed on my merit alone , OK didnt get a job in India till 2004 , but that's another story.....

OK best of luck for all those sitting for their exams and hope 2 see you all flying soon....masalama....

msbatcha777
26th Jan 2006, 15:55
masalama..... thanks for your post.

I already have my Malaysian ATPL (all 7 of them + Performance A) and i nailed them first go! The exams were from UK (CAA)..... similar to the Indian ATPL i guess.

I did them in March 2005....... looks like i have to refresh my memory and study all over again!

You know...... human temptations ........to find short cuts!

It's just lots of rumours i received from students from India when i was lecturing in aviation!