PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Taxes

dalflyer
4th Jan 2006, 16:25
I've been offered employment with Air Japan through PARC. I need to know before I accept the contract if I'd be liable for Japanese taxes on my pay if I'm working on a contract. Commuting from the US, based in Tokyo.

Thanks in advance.

Dal

fudpucker
4th Jan 2006, 16:36
Probably (not much help). I've just been sent an application form for the ANA Q400 contract. This is a 'commuting type' contract with blocks of days off rostered. The tax rated quoted was 20% (depending on personal circumstances) and there was a gross allowance of US$2000per month accomodation. I assume that gross means it's liable to tax at 20% as well...if that's the case anybody know what a small apartment around the Osaka area costs (small by expat standards, not local)? Considering what I've read here I'm not sure that the deal is a real money-earner....
gross salary $6095.22
Accom: £2000
travel $1000 pro rata
all taxed at 20%. I think it'll cost a bundle to get back to the UK on block-days off as well as costing a lot to actually live out there. Anybody already there care to comment?

The Bare
4th Jan 2006, 22:05
I've been offered employment with Air Japan through PARC. I need to know before I accept the contract if I'd be liable for Japanese taxes on my pay if I'm working on a contract. Commuting from the US, based in Tokyo.

Thanks in advance.

Dal
Legally you will be personally liable to pay tax, as a U.S. citizen, you will be getting yourself into a real mess on this contract, especially as a commuter. If you were based in Japan (which you won't be) you would be able to pay Japanese Tax, and be entitled to a US75,000 US Tax break on your overseas income. However in Air Japan you will be domeciled in the US so no residency privilages in Japan, so to remain legal, which you really need to with the IRS breathing down your neck, you will have to pay US tax on all your Air Japan income.
Also think very hard about what you are getting into here. PARC paint a very rosey picture, however the reality is the Management of Air Japan are a bunch of fanatical racial A$$holes. The Morale here is rock bottom, most of the current old timers like me (over 4 years) are looking at getting out. You will enter on B scale F/O pay, about US2000 per month less than the A scale F/O's and if you do eventually upgrade to Captain, you will then be on B scale captains pay for the rest of your time here, very demoralising.
More than half your flying will be multi sector night freighters to some hellhole in China and back, and your commuting will be on your time, so to the States you can write off 3 to 4 days per month travelling, so enjoy your 6 days at home per month with your family. Forget about operating into say HNL then going home, not enough crew resources for that, and even if it were they would think you were getting it too easy. Nasty bits of work, and they haven't forgiven Hiroshima yet I was reliably told in my training.
You will never get to touch the controls during your line training, or for that matter at any time you fly with a Japanese Captain, in the their view F/O's are incapable of flying, you will also have to suffer flying with the over 60's Japanese incompetant captains quite regularly, I hope your life insurance is well up to date when that happens.
As I said, think very hard before you commit to Air Japan, as part of a very old Japanese company (ANA) they are very difficult to work for as a foreigner, and trust me you have no hope of changing them, they are very, very stubourn.
For an American NCA, who are expanding very rapidly, would have been a far better choice for you if you feel you really have to come to Japan to work for some deep seated Freidian reason, trust me this place is the pits.
All the best!

flying-monkey
11th Jan 2006, 22:11
I hear many negative comments about Japanese contract flying across the board from Air Japan to JAL Express. I am flying in the US, but born in Japan and am interested in going back there to fly at some point. I am very concerned that it might not be very good idea based on many information provided by many guys flying in Japan on the contract bases. Do you happen to know if local Japanese are happy over threre?
Based on the way you describe the way local captains are in Air Japan, is CRM concept still not embraced there yet? Are all operator in Japan the same? As much as I would like to go back there, I do not want to join backward organzation which lack in its committment to the safey of the operation and find myself unhappy. What's your thought?

The Bare
12th Jan 2006, 01:57
To sum up for you,
No concept of CRM, a one man show (captains), give lip service to CRM safety ect, however when things get tricky ie non normal weather ect. all procedures go out the window, very dangerous people.
What do the local Japanese feel about Air Japan. Our first Japanese F/O started last year. Completed his ground school sim training ect. Had his contract conditions changed unilaterally by management because he was Japanese ( no housing allowance, commuting allowances or block day's off), took the issue up with his agency HACS, completed line training, checked out, did a month consolidation, gave 1 days notice and joined China Airlines. Two more Japanese F/O's supposed to be on March intake, ex Skymark, have turned down Air Japan and are going to NCA. That is what the locals think of this outfit.
Have a long hard think about these guys.

Kaptin M
13th Jan 2006, 08:27
I don't believe you would be eligible to qualify for Japanese tax, dalflyer, for the following reasons:
- I don't believe the Air Japan pilots hold Alien Registration cards - something that ALL foreigners who are legally residing in Japan are REQUIRED to have (issued by the local city council - checked by Immigration going out of/into Japan);
- I don't think the Air Japan gaijin pilots are issued with work permits (by the Japanese Government), and stamped in your passport;
- therefore, they are not considered as inhabitants in Japan.

Obviously any government that considers you as a resident of that country would be expecting that you would be able to show how you supported yourself, if asked, with a view to paying taxation on that income.
Whilst stashing your money away in an Isle of Man account might SOUND like a good idea at the time, the reality is far different if you are not resident there.
Be careful.

I suspect that IF the Japanese Government decides to make a move, the contractor is going to be the first one in the firing line.
If the US or Australian Governments investigate the pilots, THEY will be the ones in the barrel, if tax hasn't been paid somewhere.
Be careful.

Conditions for the newer Japanese pilots with the lcc's in Japan, are nowhere near as good as they have been for those of the legacy carriers, from what I have seen.
The "new management" style of "abuse the staff and pay them half", has come into play here (except, of course, for the managers) - however, although they don't like it, the Japanese keep the same "face" whilst working tirelessly to get what the others still have, little by little.
It's an interesting experience.
As April (the end of the fiscal year) draws closer, negotiations (and any discreet industrial action) will come into swing...the Spring offensive.

JapJok
13th Jan 2006, 20:34
The Bare has it right. Don't come here.....at any price.

As somebody said here a while back, "for your own mental wellbeing, stay out of Japan".

These are odd people.

PARC-JALEX pilot
14th Jan 2006, 14:31
CRM???
In these countryies this is no meaning.
If co-pie is sean as the rong by Captain it mite mean wacking him with a fist.
Many Japernese co-pie are haveing the brooze arm.
They expeks it to hapen for them if they make the mistake,
forainer pilot is always trying to attract the butifukl Jpan lady

The Bare
14th Jan 2006, 21:24
CRM???
In these countryies this is no meaning.
If co-pie is sean as the rong by Captain it mite mean wacking him with a fist.
Many Japernese co-pie are haveing the brooze arm.
They expeks it to hapen for them if they make the mistake,
forainer pilot is always trying to attract the butifukl Jpan lady
What can I say?