PDA

View Full Version : ESB fliying club CPL scheme - Malaysia

pendekar
4th Jan 2006, 14:26
Dear all,

I would like to have your opinions and input about a Joint initiative by ESB flying club [www.esbfc.com] and the Airline Academy of Australia (Royal Queensland Aero Club) [airlineacademy.com.au] for an Australian CPL. I attended a presentation recently by the MD , En Raffick (former Engineer with MAS). Details are as follows:

1. Phase 1

- Malaysian PPL (Restricted) [35hrs on Zodiac CH 601] followed by a Full PPL [18 hours on Eagle 150B].

-Australian CPL preparatory and flight experience acquisition [95 hrs]. The preparatory portion is basically distance learning CPL subjects done on a computer.

2. Phase 2 (Brisbane, Aust)

- 2 CPL papers & 23hrs on C172
- 3 CPL papers + Night Flight training (8hrs)
- C172 RG rating ( 4 Hrs)
- Completion of CPL exams + NAV and standards check (21.5 hrs)

This will provide a Australian CPL. Then ESB proposes 2 options to finally obtain a Malaysian ‘frozen’ ATPL.

Option 1 (recommended by ESB)

Obtain a Flight Instructor 3 endorsement. Then come back to Malaysia and build flight hours as an assistant instructor. The reasoning is that there is an acute shortage of instructors and therefore ample jobs. Furthermore, since the FI 3 rating is recognized by the M’sian DCA, there’s no need for any license conversion.

Since the Australian CPL can only be converted to a M’sian CPL if we have a Twin Engine IR, we do this concurrently with our flight instruction. After obtaining the Malaysian CPL we complete the ATPL papers.

Option 2

Skip the flight instructor course and immediately begin your conversion of the Aust CPL to Msian CPL by taking the TE IR & subsequently ATPL papers.

Rationale for option 1:

- Seeing that the flight schools in Msia are chocked packed till 2007/08, option 1 would start the flight training ball rolling right away, versus waiting for available slots in Msian schools.

- By working as an instructor, there is income as well as a better chance of obtaining a spot to do the TE IR in light of the above.

- More flight hours in hand when sourcing for jobs with ‘frozen ATPL’ due to flight instruction.

Costs:

Total of RM114,000 up to Aust CPL and additional RM31,500 for Flight Instructor endorsement (excld living costs in aust)

Approx RM50,000 for TE IR and ATPL papers in Msia

I would appreciate any input from any members, mainly:

- Are the costs reasonable?
- Does the course structure look viable (ie Flight Instructor training acceptable in Msia, CPL conversion)
- Any adverse reputation of ESB.

If there are any questions that any members think I should be asking before embarking on the course, I would appreciate that too. I will also be checking out a similar program by the KL Int’l Flight Academy – University Kuala Lumpur next week to obtain more options on this self-sponsored route.

Thanks and Happy New Year

edvin
5th Jan 2006, 06:22
Hi,

I wonder how long it takes to do the TE IR and ATPL papers in Msia after completed Australian CPL.

Regards,
Edvin