PDA

View Full Version : Paris Dakar

sss
3rd Jan 2006, 20:57
Being purely nosy,

what aircraft have they got flying providing tv and helimed cover at this years paris dakar? i see squirrels are there.

Do you use fuel dumps for refuels or head back to an airfield?

Thanks

S

madman1145
4th Jan 2006, 00:31
Just for your knowledge ..

There is no Paris-Dakar - because they started in Lisbon, Portugal this year :p ..
Link: www.dakar.com

Galapagos
4th Jan 2006, 01:04
SSS

I've been interested in knowing more about the helicopter operation out there as well. Been following it since I was a kid and became increasingly interested in the helicopter side of it since I've been flying.

I guess this is the right place to ask questions for the guys involved in it.

Who's the operator(s)?
From where?
How is the dispatch done?
What kind of logistics is behind it?
Any special rules?
How's the view?

Anything to satisfy the curiosity of racing and helicopter fans alike...

Anybody out there lost in the desert??? ;)

G

212man
4th Jan 2006, 01:18
I have passed through Nouackchott a few times on ferry flights and was there when the 2002 rally was on. Our hotel (Mercure) was full of Rally team support staff. Our agent there; a French expat called Jacques was involved in the logistics support for the teams and the helicopters. Our main use for him was to preposition barrels of A1, and an electric fuel pump, for our next refueling stop en-route Bamako. This was essentially what he was doing for the Rally helicopters too; in fact we had to negociate timings to avoid overstretch.

Sadly, despite peering into the distances, we never did see the dust trails as we set off the following day!

cpt
4th Jan 2006, 06:56
As an advice, always closely monitors what's beeing done with fuel in this part of the world....Jet A is not always sold in drums by fuel companies, so "agents" sometime buy used drums, clean them more or less carefully and fill them from a shuttling tank.
I know an operator who lost most of a seismic contract last year,and about 100 fuel drums because of continous filter clogging. The drums here, had contained oil palm and had be cleaned with water ! (surprise, surprise !) of course the "agent" didn't atend the debriefing !:hmm:

md 600 driver
4th Jan 2006, 09:12
the only helicopter i saw on the 1st jan while they were in portimao was a single 350 on the portugese reg owned by heli? [cant remember the full name] steve

CyclicRick
4th Jan 2006, 21:26
I've always fancied flying the Paris-Dakar, how do you get involved? Private club (ie specific firms) or do they sometimes take on freelancers?

Bomber ARIS
5th Jan 2006, 07:35
Mont Blanc Helicopters are the usual culprits.

Downupside
5th Jan 2006, 16:13
Hi all,
This year helicopters used for the Dakar race are under "Helicoptères de France" flag.
This link goes to a web site where you will find information about their fleet and activities, but sorry only in french and perhaps not 100% acurate:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/helicopteresdefrance/index.htm
Something like 10 AS350s (B2/B3) are covering the event.
Ever dreamed to be part of it once...
Bunka

karroo
6th Jan 2006, 18:05
Hi

The helicopters used in Lisboa-Dakar during the first 3 days were operated by portuguese companies 1 AS350b3 CSHFK operated by Helibravo (the one you saw in portimao) used by the organization to supervise the race and do some photo shooting, 2AS350b2 for filming with wescam operated by HTA, 1AS355 for relay also by HTA 1AS350b also for relay, 1 Bell 212 for Medvac from Helisul, 1 Longranger with spanish reg also for Medvac and 1 Jetranger, in the 1st day was from Omni and in the 2nd was from Helisul.

I was the pilot of the B3 and when I landed on Portimao they said that were expecting 20 helicopters, so they were a little worried and I was really surprised, because I had no information of that number in the briefing that we had done. But more surprised I was when I landed in Malaga, when they said that were expecting more than 40 aircrafts !!!!

md 600 driver
6th Jan 2006, 19:32
Karro
i was in the blue gazelle at the other end of the apron i came across to you when you was talking to the airfield manager

The airfield was expecting 3 helicopters i was told

steve

karroo
7th Jan 2006, 09:38
Hi steve

Nice bird you have, when I was thinking give a closer look you put her inside. Next time I hope.
Well about Lisboa Dakar, in the first day of the race there were more helicopter flying but not related directly to the organization of the event. On the start up of the first special 10 helicopters flew from Cascais with vips to the start of the race, it was a nice picture to see from the air. From B4 B2 B Jets and R44.

Artur

PS I have few pics from the rally if you ppl want I will try to post it.

Brilliant Stuff
12th Jan 2006, 01:04
Yes please.