PDA

View Full Version : XP and keyboard selection

Wing Commander Fowler
3rd Jan 2006, 18:51
Hi Chaps - Mate's PC running XPhome and he's in spain and has the spanish keyboard. Have selected that as the primary lingo and keyboard and the funniest thing is that depending which program we run the PC seems to make it's mind up whether to screw with the keyboard selection and mixipple all de keys up on im!!!!!

Whassapeniiiiiiiiiin??? :cool:

shuttlebus
3rd Jan 2006, 19:04
WCF,

Doh! Start>settings>control panel>regional and language settings

Then... on first tab (regional options)

Ensure that
1) 'standards and formats' is English (United Kingdom) or whatever you want to use.....
2) Location is 'United Kingdom'....

Then click on second tab "languages"
1)On text services and inputs section, click "details". Ensure that the default language is the one you want to use as well as being listed in "installed services". (Seem to remember you need one to get the other).

Delete all the ones in here you don't want :-)

Re-boot....

Best of luck,

Shuttlebus

shuttlebus
3rd Jan 2006, 19:06
Aghhh... ended up with second post as there is NO button to save an edited post....

(Or did I miss it? :-(

Shuttlebus

Wing Commander Fowler
4th Jan 2006, 08:32
Doh!Doh!..... That's a double "doh!" cos I'm not THAT stupid.....;)

Done all that as I say as having selected as the primary lingo and keyboard. The problem is that some programs seem to ignore this and do their own thang!

Any just slightly more complicated ideas anyone? :{

RaraAvis
4th Jan 2006, 20:35
Same issue here, fiddled with language, location etc etc selection, still keys not cooperating:confused: Any other ideas? Pleeeaze....:sad:

Wing Commander Fowler
8th Jan 2006, 11:29
Come on please chaps - someone must know whats going on in here.....? :bored:

shuttlebus
8th Jan 2006, 13:11
WCF,

Further to my last post, I had a call from a friend who has recently purchased a new computer for their parents.

Now, the machine was bought in France, where the parents live, but hey want it in UK English.

Tried lots of and lots of things, including the dreaded re-install. All to no avail.

A perusal of misc forums, including MS, concluded that most machines are supplied with a localised copy of the OS for that country... in this case France.

The only solution was to buy a UK copy of WinXp to get all the drop downs, menus etc en anglais, mon ami....

So to summarise: -

If you have a "local" version of XP for the country in which you bought the machine and want the menus etc in any other language, c'est n'est pas possible:{

Regards,

Shuttlebus

Wing Commander Fowler
8th Jan 2006, 21:07
Thanx Shuttle but it's a uk version of XP. The problem seems simply to be that since he has a spanish keyboard and we have therefore selected spanish as the default keyboard and language SOME programs will not accept that selection and seem to insist on changing the keyboard layout to some other format..... Weird if you ask me!!! :ugh: