PDA

View Full Version : Virgin to Antigua

geraintw
3rd Jan 2006, 18:28
I'm climbing aboard Virgin's metal bird to Antigua on the 20th and paid that bit extra for premium economy. How does it compare to BA's World Traveller plus? Is it better or was it a waste of cash :-)

Cheers

Globaliser
3rd Jan 2006, 18:37
I've never flown it, so can't compare directly. But there are at least a couple of points on which VS's PE has advantages over BA's product: There is a separate check-in facility (although this is of limited benefit if you check-in online, and some BA stations have separate WT+ check-in), and I think VS offers a pre-flight drink on boarding.

I'm not sure why you think you might have wasted your money? AFAIK, you'd usually expect to pay about the same for PE as you would for WT+, and the products are broadly comparable. Or did you deliberately pay extra for PE over WT+?

geraintw
3rd Jan 2006, 18:40
I've flown with BA WT+ a few times, so thought i'd try Virgin this time round... although too late to change my mind, just wanted to know if it was a wise decision :)

I've never flown it, so can't compare directly. But there are at least a couple of points on which VS's PE has advantages over BA's product: There is a separate check-in facility (although this is of limited benefit if you check-in online, and some BA stations have separate WT+ check-in), and I think VS offers a pre-flight drink on boarding.

I'm not sure why you think you might have wasted your money? AFAIK, you'd usually expect to pay about the same for PE as you would for WT+, and the products are broadly comparable. Or did you deliberately pay extra for PE over WT+?

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Jan 2006, 19:00
If you have planned it right and have selected your seats you can fly on the top deck of the 744. Even if you haven't selected them you can do so on the VS website by the input of your flight no and details. You get to see a seat plan and you can decide which ones you want.

You get on first and you get off first (with Upper Class) that is.

The menu is much the same as economy - or was - and it was plastic but that has changed I think.

It is a good service.

PPP

geraintw
3rd Jan 2006, 19:10
If you have planned it right and have selected your seats you can fly on the top deck of the 744. Even if you haven't selected them you can do so on the VS website by the input of your flight no and details. You get to see a seat plan and you can decide which ones you want.

You get on first and you get off first (with Upper Class) that is.

The menu is much the same as economy - or was - and it was plastic but that has changed I think.

It is a good service.

PPP
That's great, cheers :-) I'll wait for the tickets to come through and hunt a decent seat then! :-)

manintheback
3rd Jan 2006, 21:40
Seats wider with a separate armrest on Virgin. Think Business class of yesteryear (say ten years ago). So in my opinion it would have been quite a bit better...

But - some genius decided to put the control boxes for the IFE under the aisle seats (at least on the ones I flew). So all that extra legroom is well and truly wasted as the under seat bit in front aint there. Luckily my wife is 5ft2 so we seat accordingly.

Thus get a window seat (or at least check where the IFE is, and sit elsewhere).

Food same as economy. Service - both are good. Copious supplies of beverages throughout.

22/04
3rd Jan 2006, 22:19
Haven't flown WT+for two years but use VS PE to NRT regularly. VS and BA cabin space similar. Economy food. Champagne or orange juice pre take off. . On demand IFE (on most ,all A340-600). IMHO cabin crew mor plentiful and less formal on VS leading to better service. And as others have said separate check in.

Leezyjet
7th Jan 2006, 19:55
The LGW 744's now have W downstairs too. The old style seats are upstairs, and new style seats downstairs.

The W section downstairs is between the first and second door. It's big and spacious, but upstairs is still much better IMHO. You will always get you first choice of meal in W. Even though it's the same choice as in Y, W gets served first.

W on VS actually feels like you are travelling in a different class as you always have a seperate cabin, where as WT+ on BA is stuck at the front of the real cheap seats and doesn't feel any different from regular Y.

:)

geraintw
7th Jan 2006, 21:07
Cheers for that, what are the differences in seats then? The virgin website doesn't really show you anything... :-)

Globaliser
9th Jan 2006, 17:51
W on VS actually feels like you are travelling in a different class as you always have a seperate cabin, where as WT+ on BA is stuck at the front of the real cheap seats and doesn't feel any different from regular Y.
:)There's still a hard divider between W and Y on BA, which keeps W pretty quiet compared to Y.

I do agree, though that sticking W exclusively into Zone B would turn it into something highly desirable. I understand that BA's low-yield 744 is having this done when NGCW goes in.

varga girl
10th Jan 2006, 16:17
Hey Geraintw
When you select seats go for anything 70 to 79 as this will guarentee being upstairs, the downstairs PE doesn't feel quite so special! Seats 75AC and HK are exit rows so more leg room but no baggage stowage under seats etc and tends to feel quite cold there! You won't have the on demand entertainment on that route so don't worry about legroom being taken up!
Personally, think you'll like PE, you'll appreciate the peace and quiet of being up in "the bubble"!! Hope this helps

Leezyjet
12th Jan 2006, 23:15
Cheers for that, what are the differences in seats then?
Old Style :-
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/552426/M/
Big soft squishy cushions, limited headrest adjustment (up and down only).
New Style :-
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/804387/L/
Slightly harder seat cushions although base has 2 airbags that can be adjusted to suit, fully adjustable headrest. (note: the seats in the pic are on an A340-600 so have large ptv's, they won't be that big on the LGW 744's)
Personally, having tried both, I think the old style ones are more comfortable.
:)

geraintw
13th Jan 2006, 11:54
Thanks all, all I need now is for the weather to stay dry when i'm there and it looks like i'm sorted :D