PDA

View Full Version : Task Manager

nooluv
3rd Jan 2006, 17:40
When I press "control-Alt-Delete" - Task Manager the box disappears off screen instead of showing running processes etc.
Can anybody help me to get it back?
Regards nooluv...

ZH875
3rd Jan 2006, 17:44
Try pressing 'Alt+Tab' to ensure you have control of Task manager, then press 'Alt+Space' and this should present the drop down menu, press 'M' for move and you should be able to move the task manager screen with either the mouse or the up/down/left/right arrow keys.

shuttlebus
3rd Jan 2006, 19:07
Is it minimised to the task bar?

TAF Oscar
4th Jan 2006, 05:51
Minimised sounds most obvious to me too.

A little known feature of Task Manager I stumbled over last week is "Tiny Footprint" mode. If you run Task Manager via the usual three finger salute and double click the bar where the tabs are it displays processes only; all the tabs, menu options etc disappear. To get them back you double click on the border. Took me ages to figure out where the rest of the display had gone and how to get it back, and I struggle to imagine a real use for such a feature. :hmm:

nooluv
4th Jan 2006, 16:56
Tried all the above but still can't find it. Soon as I click Task Master, the screen just goes back to the desk top. Must be hiding somewhere.
Would I be able to retrieve it with Taskbar & start menue?
Regards nooluv.

TAF Oscar
4th Jan 2006, 17:56
My only other suggestion is a virus infection, there are several which target Task Manager and kill it as soon as it is run (eg Mytob, Petch, Erkez, etc).

Have you run a full virus scan on this machine?

shuttlebus
4th Jan 2006, 18:53
When you alt-tab to show the processes, is task manager listed?

If yes, then it is hiding off the screen, if not then...

:{ something more serious:{

Regards,

Shuttlebus

P.S. Just an idea (since it is a long time since I had this problem (Win95.... don't ask). Have you tried dropping your resolution to something truly awful, like 640x480, selecting task manager using alt-tab (assuming it appeared in the solution above using alt-tab) and then boosting your screen res back to something vaguely useful (1024*768 or 1152*864)? If that doesn't work trying going from large to small resolution instead.

Also, does you graphics driver support "virtual desktops"? Some of the Matrox drivers allow you to have a virtual desktop of say 1600*1200 whilst the monitor is running say at 1024*768. Sometimes if you then disable this feature with something in the virtual space, it gets "lost".

OK, that is my brain well and truly picked....

nooluv
5th Jan 2006, 19:07
Latest.. Ran "trend micro" It found (worm_rbot.cng) & (troj_dropper.ox) neither of which it can get rid of.. Still can't find task Manager. Hope you can help.. nooluv.

NotTheOrganGrinder
5th Jan 2006, 19:35
Try resetting the task manager settings. Start notepad, copy the section below (without --- lines) into notepad.

Save on your desktop as "reset.reg"

Double click the new .reg file, and say yes to entering the information into the registry ( what it actually does is remove the task manager saed settings, and reset it to its defaults)

---------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TaskManager]

--------------------------------------------

nooluv
7th Jan 2006, 19:02
Managed to copy task manager to desk top. Has anybody got any ideas how to get rid of trojans etc I mentioned above? 2000 pro.
regards nooluv.