PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network Question?

J32/41
2nd Jan 2006, 12:17
I am about to set up a wireless network at home for 2 laptops which both have the wireless function built in.

My question is my desktop pc is not wireless and doesn't really need to be so can I still connect the pc by cable to the new modem/router I buy?

Also can anyone recommend a good easy to set up wireless router?

Many Thanks

spekesoftly
2nd Jan 2006, 12:50
My question is my desktop pc is not wireless and doesn't really need to be so can I still connect the pc by cable to the new modem/router I buy?

Yes you can. My PC is connected to a (Netgear) ADSL Wireless Modem/Router by cable. It can be advantageous, because it gives you another means of communicating with the router, should the 'wireless connection' drop out. Especially useful during initial set-up, although this was straight forward with mine.

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Jan 2006, 13:08
Yes you can and I've done the same thing myself. Fastest desktop PC hardwired to a 2Wire router and a laptop, two more desktops and the TiVo all using wireless adapter.

What's interesting is that my PC has no printer ports (or PS2 either) so I hooked my LaserJet to the other desktop and made it a shared printer. The only downside is that it becomes unavailable when the other PC goes to sleep.

Jet II
2nd Jan 2006, 15:06
In fact with a wireless modem/router most companies advise that you have a PC connected directly by ethernet cable for setting up purposes. It is highly unadvisable to change the settings of the router using a wireless connection.

as to brands to buy - Netgear or Linksys are both pretty good for setting up.

If you want a challenge try Safecom, which also has a print server built in so you can use your printer from all network laptops.

Gouabafla
2nd Jan 2006, 15:49
Not much to add to the wisdom above, but I would suggest going with Netgear. I've been very happy with my router and the set up was dead easy.

kriss1000
2nd Jan 2006, 19:10
Me to had Netgear equip for 10 years or so and wireless Netgear for 2 years now. Desktop connected via Ethernet 2 laptops and another desktop on wireless and the PSP2 also connected cannot fault the connections also the Netgaer wireless routers have built in Firewalls much better than Norton which I dont like as it clogs your system with unnecessary files and is murder to get rid of..

Keef
2nd Jan 2006, 21:18
Agree with those above. Netgear and Linksys are good. So is D-Link in my experience. Belkin isn't.

I ended up with separate modem, router, and wireless access point - because the connection kept dropping and I was trying to trace the cause. It turned out, of course, to be the fault of none of those, but having separates allows for more monitoring of what's going on.

The desktop machines connect via cable; the laptop and the iPaq via wireless, and it all works fine. The hardware firewall is a wonderful thing!