PDA

View Full Version : military route to SIA vs going to SIA straight

huangmonkey
2nd Jan 2006, 04:51
I'm 18 years old and have a PPL from the Singapore Youth flying club. Mine aim is to end up in SIA as an airline pilot. I have two options: To join the rsaf first, and make the switch at 30, or to serve mine NS, do mine degree and then apply for SIA. I heard it is not easy to switch over from the airforce to the airlines. However if I decide to go straight to the airlines mine chances would of getting accepted might not be so high as YFC is funded by the airforce and not the airlines. I'd appreciate all your advice
thanks!

Thermal Image
2nd Jan 2006, 09:11
Your question: is it better to wait and join the airlines direct?

In one word: Yes.

Every year, the number of RSAF pilots jostling to leave and join the airline far exceeds the official number (15) who are allowed to leave. This will also only take place when you are in your late 30s. In addition, you will also not be in control of many issues that will / might pop up to frustrate your plans. Sure, RSAF pay is good, the possibility of flying an F16 is exciting etc etc.

Contrast this against being selected for SIA as a cadet. You only have to wait until 26. This may seem like an eternity, but it will pass in the blink of an eye. You go to NS, finish university, get a few years of working experience (SIA or otherwise) and then you will be eligible to apply. The odds are much more in your favour - the factors that are in your direct control, such as your own success in school and at work, and then against other applicants as a cadet pilot applicant. You can further stack the odds in your favour by applying to be a cadet flight instructor with SIA (there is no age bar) after your degree, but as an instructor the pay is not good and you must really have a passion for instructing.

I would compare the relative odds by saying that joining the RSAF as part of your larger plan to go commercial, would be like trying to build your life savings by buying lottery tickets. It might work, but in all likelihood it will fail.

If you are interested in becoming a commercial pilot ONLY, then do not use the RSAF as a stepping stone. You will be extremely frustrated and disappointed.

huangmonkey
2nd Jan 2006, 09:37
thank you for your reply. How can I go about applying to be a SIA instructor? What are the requirements etc. Thanks

Thermal Image
2nd Jan 2006, 09:57
You appear not to have done any research, on this forum at least.

Do that first.

Also check this out: http://www.sfcpl.com/

Then finish your NS, go to university.

ONLY after that think about being a cadet flying instructor. You will NOT be an SIA instructor, but an SFC instructor when you complete your training. You will teach cadets how to fly SFC aircraft. Big difference from being an SIA instructor teaching second officers / first officers / captains.

From time to time there will be advertisements in the Straits Times looking to hire cadet flying instructors.

Anyway, you have many more years to go. One step at a time.

huangmonkey
2nd Jan 2006, 12:59
Yes I was referring to an instructor of those light planes like c152 as an instructor. However when you say cadet flying instructor do you mean that mine training is sponsored? Because I only have a PPL. An alternative way is for me to be a flying instructor in the youth flying club and do mine degree part time. There would be a bond for a few years.

Thermal Image
2nd Jan 2006, 14:09
Yes as a cadet flying instructor for SFC your training is sponsored, in return for a bond.

Subject to good performance, your entry into one of the SIA companies (after you complete your bond) is almost sure. Note that you have NO control over what they offer you - ie cargo or pax. But they will tell you first, from day one, where you will go. So if you have an extreme objection to either, then consider this situation VERY carefully.

You appear NOT to have taken my advice to do research. You are asking questions that reveal your uncertainty, even confusion, as to what you want to do with yourself 8 years from now. Only you can help yourself in such a situation, as opposed to asking for advice on how to do something you have decided on. This is the last time I will spoon-feed you.

Read these two threads at the very minimum:

Terminology:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134076

Advice for wannabes:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

In short, if you are SURE you want to be a commercial pilot:

1. Finish NS.

2. Go to university. Full time, not this part time nonsense that YFC is offering you. DO NOT be cowed by pressure from them. It is natural that they want to see returns on their investment. YFC is basically a recruiting ground for RSAF. They are not dishing out PPL courses for nothing. Since you are unsure about what you want to do, university time will buy you some job insurance.

3. Either:
a. Look for work then wait until 26, and apply to be a cadet pilot.
b. Apply to be a cadet flying instructor to bide your time until you are 26. If you are already 23 when you finish university, or have no passion to teach, then do not join as a cadet flying instructor if you want to be a commercial pilot in minimum time. Because there is a bond with SFC, if you join at 23, by the time the training and the bond is over you will be at least 28.