PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Recruitment-MEL

jettart
1st Jan 2006, 23:03
I have received an email for a seminar this Friday the 6th of Jan.

Just a couple of questions?? (for any jetstar crew)

1.. What is the first year pay base wage
2.. What would be a very avrage fortnight salary
3.. How many overnights a month ??
4..Would you always need to drive one day for signe on to Avalon and thenTullamarine airport, Or do you always work from one airport??
It would be a problem driving one day to Avalon next to Tullamarine etc??
5.. What options do you have for promotion eg on board manager. Do these come around ofton or you have to wait for 50 years??

Please Please help me so I can make a well informed decission??

Many thanks In advance !!
PS any other people going for the interview???

Welcome Aboard
2nd Jan 2006, 00:11
Hey Jettart,

Whilst you are waiting for a reply why not try looking at the following link - heaps of info and you can check out their agreement with pay scales and loadings etc :)

http://www.faaadomestic.org.au/domestic/jetstar.htm

Don't think they do overnights :oh:

Good luck with the interview there are plenty of tips on another website which I'll pm you if I can work it out..

WA

cabincrewwannabe
2nd Jan 2006, 01:43
Hi,

I also received this email and have requested an afternoon interview?

Lizzie xx

Mr Seatback 2
2nd Jan 2006, 03:40
First year base wage is around the $36K mark + overtime, etc. No penalty rates, as they are built into the salary.
Average fortnight salary, after tax without overtime, is just on $1200.
No overnights - at all. Except for once per year in Brisbane for Emergency Procedures refresher.
Yes - JQ are after dual basing in Melbourne also (just like in QLD). Creates increased wear and tear on car (depending on your location and proximity between Tulla and Avalon), plus petrol expenses, etc.
Promotion to CM based on merit, with at least 12 months flying experience at JQ or at another airline. Upgrades occur at least once a year, sometimes more, depending on the level of expansion and attrition within the base.

SocialFlyer
3rd Jan 2006, 07:55
Hi Jettart

I have also been invited to the seminar on Friday, still waiting to hear if it is the morning or afternoon session.

I tried doing a search for Jetstar information, however the search engine does not appear to be working. Not sure what the story is there.

Good luck, feel free to message me if you want to chat

Cheers
SocialFlyer

Mr Seatback 2
3rd Jan 2006, 09:20
Go to www.cabincrew.com, Chat Forum, Oz Forum. At least 100 odd pages about JQ recruitment and seminar info.

star84
3rd Jan 2006, 23:30
hey guys, I have worked for jetstar for 8 months now.

Good luck with the interview! I know its really nerve wracking, but try to relax and SMILE!! appear friendly and talk to people as you are waiting. Make sure you are really well groomed, as at my interview they had one of the current cabin crew 'undercover' in the waiting area checking everyones grooming.

Mr Seatback has answered all your initial questions I think, but if you want to ask anything else, send me a message!!

:)

cabincrewwannabe
4th Jan 2006, 22:28
I am in the 1430 group. Anyone else?

SocialFlyer
6th Jan 2006, 07:53
Hi Guys,

Just got back from the 1630 session. All went ok, i guess you can never know with these things. They are looking for 25 people to start in the Melbourne Ground School on the 20th of February, in addition they also want people on the shortlist for future courses coming up.

I'll keep you all posted... Good luck to the others..

jupiter2
6th Jan 2006, 08:31
Expect to nudge the 50 grand mark per year as far as pay is concerned. There's plenty of scope to do better if you put in the effort.

ricciricardo
6th Jan 2006, 11:21
The Melbourne recruitment is mainly focused on setting up the AVV PER flights as current crew won't be forced (yet) to operate out of both bases (eg OOL BNE). Currently all flights in/out AVV are covered by CC in other bases, no-one actually signs on at AVV, but, of course having crew based at AVV will enable the company more flexibility with ETD/ETA times in the future.
I have no doubt that [at the recruitment sessions] they'll inform prospective flighties that the job will require crew to be able to sign on at either base.
There will probably be the ability to lodge a preference when rostering is sorted but that will depend on demand.
At least it'll be a good run to the terminal and parking is easy. (Shame about the flies and smell of the rice paddies he he)!

SocialFlyer
6th Jan 2006, 11:29
Actually they did mention at the seminar that Cabin Crew employed now will be working as part of the Melbourne "Dual Base", which means they will have to operate out of Avalone and Tullamarine. I guess it's something to think about as the distance to Avalone for some is significant, and creates more expenses.

ricciricardo
6th Jan 2006, 11:59
A memo has been issued by management that enables current crew to elect Dual base or Tulla only. For those living close by Tulla I can't imagine they'd want to drive to Avalon, but of course many would enjoy the ability to have more varied flying (PER return! no thanks).

ricciricardo
6th Jan 2006, 12:41
There are a few negatives about operating out of AVV for the MEL crew and this is why the current recruitment is focused on AVV.
1. Distance
2. Facilities (eg food outlets, shops)
3. The ability to finish work and catch a flight immediatly for days off away

Any new MDB (Mel Dual Base) crew will definatly find themselves working out of AVV, this being not such a bad thing though as it'll be YOUR base and you won't have any old boilers pushing you around!

Toowoombagirl
7th Jan 2006, 00:46
Everyone is raving on about the travel etc..We have been dual based here in SEQ since day dot.If you want to fly with a progressive company such as us and are lucky to get in then you have job security and alot more..As for the other person asking whether it is worth their while re wages etc,,,they wouldnt want to be on one of my flights with an attitude like that!!Dont apply if thats all you're interested in!!Jetstar is fun,friendly and its what you make it.There are incentives to earn alot more money and alot of crew take advantage of that..Also,,dont apply if you think its the easiest way into Qantas,,we dont want you....Cabin manager,SEQ

Mr Seatback 2
7th Jan 2006, 01:29
Toowoomba girl - check YOUR attitude! :hmm:

1. Wages are an important part of anyone's lifestyle and job. Some people are financially able to make a sacrifice (ie. drop in pay) to make the change to the airlines - others, however, aren't so fortunate. This whole fantasy of "Jetstar is fun, friendly and what you make it" is total tosh. Ironically, your post is anything but.

I've yet to meet a single SEQ person who RAVES about how much they like the arrangement. Period. Shuttling to and fro between BNE and OOL is very tedious and wears you out as I'm sure you can attest. Get your roster requests this month kiddo? Oh that's right - they lost the requests for OOL crew this month, didn't they!.

FYI - I've been around for many years here, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Also, some people are not in a position to wear the costs of driving between dual bases all the time. Petrol, wear and tear - it all takes its toll on the bank balance. Factor in kids, mortgage, etc. and you start to have problems. As some people have, and have since left for greener pastures.

Sure - some people like it. The majority don't. They accept it because they want and like the job itself so much. And that goes for the pilots too.

"There are incentives to earn alot more money and alot of crew take advantage of that"

Above and beyond $50k per year? That's if you work your bits off, and sell back the odd day off here and there. At the end of the day, NO ONE should forecast their earnings beyond their base wage. Remember how much angst was created when JQ started when everyone lost their overnights? Easier to plan with less, than to plan with more and left counting the losses if you're not called out on Live days, not used on days off, etc.

2. Career Progression...

"Also,,dont apply if you think its the easiest way into Qantas,,we dont want you"

Yeah - GREAT ambassador for the so called 'fun, friendly' airline you're trying to paint us as!

Fact - CP exists and people will access that - no different to base transfers, part time waitlists, etc. Going to tell those people with part time on their mind that 'we don't want them'?

If it weren't for CP, we'd have even GREATER levels of attrition than we do now. Eastern and Sunstate are in the same position. There is no reason on earth why anyone shouldn't access CP if the opportunity exists.

Once people serve their 2 years, they can put themselves on the list. What happens after that is totally up to QF. Don't expect intakes to occur without at least 2 years between QF training schools. If people can deal with that, then I'm sure it won't be a problem.

As a CM, Toowoomba girl, I'd have expected a far more motivating response to prospective employees. Instead, your post is nothing short of bitter and twisted. Very disappointing, and not indicative of the majority at JQ.

For those still interested, please apply and let us know how you get on. We'd love to see you fly with us!

Sky_hi!
7th Jan 2006, 04:32
My roster requests weren't processed this month! Don't know if my live days have yet either and have heard crewing aren't switching them for anyone anymore and neither is the regional base manager.........HOPE this isn't true as it is our lives they are playing with :{ :{ :mad:

Girls and Guys, there are some extremely crap things about this company (eg see above) But there are some great things too - particularly the people you work with :ok:

Welcome to Jetstar, goodluck and I can't wait to see some of you online soon!

;)

Mr Seatback 2
7th Jan 2006, 04:51
I believe this months stuff up occurred due to the holiday period (base managers and admin staff on leave during this time). I could be wrong, but that's according to others around the network.

Well said Sky Hi: " Girls and Guys, there are some extremely crap things about this company (eg see above) But there are some great things too - particularly the people you work with"

Truth is, there aren't any airlines that are perfect. How many pages is the QF thread now??? Same but different, no matter what airline you work for. The long haul folk that work at JQ now say the same thing. It's simply what you make of it.

JQchick
7th Jan 2006, 10:11
My live days for Jan went through ok. I had a problem in October with my live days going through, crewing had been told not to change them over the phone. Havent heard about anyone else in SEQ having problems this month.

As for the dual base in SEQ, yes it can be a pain in the behind but the last few months havent been too bad, most crew who live on the coast get all coast shifts and people in Brissy have maybe one coast shift. However I heard that we are losing 2 aircraft out of SEQ, one in BNE and one in OOL. Dont know how this will effect the rosters, we'll see in April when it happens.

Also looks like the new hires in MEL who will have the dual base will be doing AVV-PER, AVV-SYD and AVV-BNE. I wonder if people on the transfer list for MEL have started changing their minds now they will be dual based.

ditzyboy
8th Jan 2006, 07:53
Having been around for even more years than Mr Seatback 2 :ooh: I am definately looking forward to progressing to SH in PER next month.

That being said the upcoming move to PER has highlighted to me the many positives of the Jetstar operation. The inflight service is completely basic, if tedious at times. Customers have almost no expectations and are quite easy to look after. The more colourful customers we seem to carry nowadays (minority) only add to my dinner party reparte and friends and colleagues usually get as much a kick out of the incident as I did. The bulk of the people I fly with are a laugh a minute and I tend to have a whale of a time without even trying. And the last few years (with and without overnights) I have earned $52-54K as a mere FA.

I go to QF and I look forward to meal services that take forever, pillows and blankets (eww), having 10 kid's packs for the 50 children onboard, customers with expectations, frequent flyers wanting recognition, special meals and short-loaded catering. Well I am sure I will enjoy the challange once again but the above definately highlights some of the great parts of Jetstar - the ease of it all (even if it is sometime frustrating).

I am looking forward to the positive challenge and moving out of Sydney for a quiter life in Perth. And the crew there seem friendly and enthusiastic. But I somehow think I will never laugh as hard as I have in the five years and more I have been at this company. Sure we are at work more nowadays and the politics of our management are frustrating and leave alot to be desired. But it sure beats working at Coles or a bank and is more fun let me tell you.

Prospective cabin crew to Jetstar should look at it as a great way to spend two or so years (add another two if you become CM), have some fun, get your foot in the industry and enjoy the staff travel. Jetstar do not want crew to hang around after they become 'stale', in my opinion.

What will I miss the most about The Star? Definately the never ending "Have you ever heard of an airline..." and "That's experience!" comments. It's a SYD base thing - has me laughing now thinking about them.

ditzyboy
8th Jan 2006, 08:03
Average fortnight salary, after tax without overtime, is just on $1200.

Darls, that is the minimum - not the average? My average would be around $1400-$1500 take home. Mind you that is the MEGA Year 2 payscale that we top out on. In my 6th year on Year 2 pay - that's experience!

beachwave40
8th Jan 2006, 21:19
so with the 2 Airbus being taken out of SEQ and going to AVV and ADL , i'm assuming that there will be no reqruitment for SEQ for a while? Also has nybody herd if there is any reqruitment for NTL? There supposed to get there airbus soon but don't even have enough crew to run the 717

JQchick
9th Jan 2006, 03:01
I think that would be a fair assumption beachwave, we will be very overstaffed in April when it happens. When I started we had 3 717's in BNE and 1 in OOL and we were getting around 90 hours a month. Since then there has been around 3 more ground schools so I guess that could mean less than 90 hours/month. It will all be a matter of waiting and seeing but I wouldnt be holding my breath waiting for recruitment in SEQ again anytime soon.

ditzyboy
9th Jan 2006, 07:49
Good to know that we all get paid the same yet SYD based FAs are rostered to 130-132 hours every month while other bases sit at 90 hours. Nice.

Toowoombagirl
9th Jan 2006, 11:31
Hey Mr Seatback,,you should get a life..You have totally blown everything I have said out of proportion!!I only said the things I have said because people have different expectations and because of my attitude which is alot better than yours mate,,I dont want to work with unhappy crew who thought it would be different!!!!I love my job and my crew love working with me,,I hope to God I never see you though!!!!I have been fllying for 14 years and have seen alot of changes in aviation over the years and know how good a career flying is,,unfortunately you cant change peoples attitudes towards it you can only steer them in a different direction such as one of the smaller airlines,,overseas or MAM...I find it difficult to fly with people who dont want to be there and have to overcompensate with the passengers..Luckily most of here in SEQ are pretty happy people who try not to whinge too much regarding the dual bases..No one listens anyway!!! Its all about expectations,,,I just wanted to let that person know that no-one likes bad attitudes..All bases are different though..Luckily we have one of the happier ones..Roster requests dont really bother me,,I just take what I get..No,,Mr Seatback,,,you have no idea who or what I am about and you shouldnt pass judgement,,didnt your mother tell you that!!

Mr Seatback 2
10th Jan 2006, 02:27
Toowoombagirl

You know, I could string together whole paragraphs of witty retorts to your last post.

But having read it a couple of times, I don't think I'll bother. Just not worth the effort.

Have a nice life. You could do with one.

SocialFlyer
10th Jan 2006, 04:24
Okay Guys.....

Back to the intent of this topic.......

I GOT SHORTLISTED for the panel interview. E-mail says they will call to schedule a time. Still a long way to go, but hey it's something. Group things always make me more nervous, much prefer the panel.

Good Luck to everyone else. Look forward to reading more success stories.

SocialFlyer

Mr Seatback 2
10th Jan 2006, 06:12
Congratulations SocialFlyer. I'm sure you'll do great!

Keep us up to date with your progress. Which base are you after?

SocialFlyer
10th Jan 2006, 06:28
Thanks Mr Seatback

Well the recruitment was for the Dual Base (MEL, AVV). For some I dont think it will suit them entirely, however for me I'm not too phased as I live half way between both. Actually, probably closer to MEL, but also not too far from AVV.

Guys, another thing thanks for all the info... All is extremely helpful and relevant....

Cheers
SocialFlyer

ricciricardo
10th Jan 2006, 08:51
Hey Mr SB and Tgirl, Don't start that sort of rant, I know it's been unbearably hot and we've had our schedules all over the shop during the festive season, but, you know and I know we're not like the L/H and S/H guys. We're above that and we are more a flying family than I've ever felt in 23 years in this industry. There'll be huge expansion over the next couple of years so let's not lose the love and/or admiration we have, and bring on the newbies, looking foward to hearing of your successes!

ricciricardo
10th Jan 2006, 09:25
Hey ditz! gonna miss the smile on your dial! :) :) :)

OZcabincrew
10th Jan 2006, 11:43
ricciricardo,

Can't be bothered reading anything on PPRUNE anymore, but just thought i'd drop in to see what s**t is being said.

Just because some QF Mainline crew have got you offside, please don't blanket all QF crew, S/H and L/H as the same. As in Jetstar there are some great crew with great attitudes where everyday is a good day, but also as in Jetstar, there is also some c**p crew with bad attitudes that shouldn't be there in the first place. Depending on your attitude, opinion on things and personality, QF and JQ are both great places to work!

Oz;)

JQchick
11th Jan 2006, 12:27
Good to know that we all get paid the same yet SYD based FAs are rostered to 130-132 hours every month while other bases sit at 90 hours. Nice.

We've been on 130 hours in SEQ for the past 5-6 months too, I think the only base on 90 hours at the moment is CNS. Im sure once we receive more A320's they will come to SEQ and we will be back to 130 hours again.

beachwave40
11th Jan 2006, 22:02
can anybody confirm or know the progress of whats happening with SEQ.
I am hearing that the last 50-60 plp employeed at SEQ will be forced to transfer to ADL Base. I know that the EBA states that the company can do that and the company pays for the Costs involved. Any insight? Or have SEQ plp heard a differnt story?

Mr Seatback 2
12th Jan 2006, 02:12
I believe that directed transfers are the LAST thing the company wants - not least of which is because of the expense involved.

They'll exhaust every avenue they have first before they get to directed transfers. The last OOL base closure in 2001 cost them a fortune for just 30-odd crew. Jetstar won't pay for anything unless absolutely necessary!

JQchick
12th Jan 2006, 11:08
I heard the same thing but not to ADL, to AVV but it was given the same rebuttal as MrSeatback has given. The company doesnt want to pay all that money, cheaper to hire new crew and besides, SEQ will need the crew in the future anyhow so why transfer them only to have to do new hired in a couple of months. The 25 people apparently being hired for the dual base will easily cover the initial one aircraft that will be based in AVV, and there is a ground school nearly ready for ADL as are a number of CM transfer/upgrades.

beachwave40
12th Jan 2006, 21:39
you both make very good points.Having 50 say people extra, would reduce their hrs for sure maybe causing some unease between the bases. Theres only 4 A/C to come with no options taken up? 1 destind for NTL. 1 broken during manufacturing process and the other 2 im not sure where they are going.
But i'll guess we will find out for sure later in the coming months

SocialFlyer
13th Jan 2006, 03:16
Hi Guys...

Well I got a call from JetStar and have been booked for the Panel Interview next Wednesday in Melbourne. Anyone else heard back?

Good Luck
SocialFlyer

ricciricardo
13th Jan 2006, 04:43
OZ cc

I apologise for possibly offending you:ouch: I was trying to throw water on the possibility of angst erupting within the J* ranks, we haven't really had it due to us being a relativly young set up with enthusiastic crew. Going by what I read on this forum some pretty aggressive slanging matches between L/H and S/H do occur and it trivialises the careers we have chosen.
As a matter of fact some of my best friends are mainline crew and I was one myself for 15 years! :ok:

stevemelb
14th Jan 2006, 03:59
Howdy,

Just wondered if anyone knew if Jetstar will be doing any further interviewing in Melbourne (or elsewere) in the near future.

Thanks Steve.

ricciricardo
14th Jan 2006, 05:26
J* will pretty much be employing frequently until the year dot. Keep your app on staffcv up to date and resubmit often (tri-monthly). MEL will no doubt be a base with substantial growth due to the MDB and the monopoly of AVV airport.
No doubt attrition will contribute to vacancies.

JQchick
14th Jan 2006, 06:39
Well in SEQ the base manager has told CM's to spread the word, forced transfers would be an absolute last resort and highly unlikely to happen. Apparently they are considering offering temporary part-time and more annual leave slots to keep the hours up abit.

Oh and according to some news I have recently read QF has given the go ahead to expand upon the domestic fleet at JQ, with more A320's and possibly A319's and A321's. As to how long that will take is anyones guess.

I wouldnt be waiting for Jetstar to recruit in SEQ for sometime, as ricciricardo said, MEL-AVV dual base will be the big one, and maybe Newcastle.

ditzyboy
14th Jan 2006, 09:30
Mr Seatback -
If you recall the closure of BNE, then OOL bases in 2001 was an utter debacle from go to woe. What a mess! The whole situation was so bad it culminated in the decision to reopen the domincile as the dual base 'situation' we see today. The whole SEQ dual base thing was sold as a temporary measure - and that was back in 2002/3! Looks like the joke was on us guys! I guess it gives credence to the old saying -

"Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it."

JQ Chick -
HBA historically has lower hours also. I have seen a HBA part time roster with only one rostered duty!

Since June 2005 I have has two rosters planned at less than 130 hours (116 and 126 hours). Always more of course with Reserve/Live etc... The situation where cabin crew can work over a week's extra hours (35-40!) in a month and get paid the same is ludicris and unfair.

Hopefully Jetstar flight attendants will start to grow some larger testicles in time. We stood up to Impulse management and doubled our salaries overnight. It was very easy once we stood together as a united group and lobbied both the FAAA and the Company. And results were quickly gained.

Over the last four years we have consistently rolled over and 'taken it' for the team and look at where it has ended us. Those management types in Melbourne must get a laugh out of the way we so willingly allow our conditions to erode. It certainly is laughable.

Anyway I am outty. Regardless of the above I will really miss the people of The Star. I cannot think of a finer group of individuals. Thank you for the thousands of great memories - I will really miss you guys x

SocialFlyer
15th Jan 2006, 04:41
Hi Guys,

Not much has been said about the current EBA negotiations. How are they progressing? When did the current EBA expire, and how long do you think it will be till they finalise this one? Is there any particular area they are focusing on as part of the negotiations?

If the info is strictly confidential I understand.

Cheers
SocialFlyer

Plainpilotdriver
16th Jan 2006, 05:15
.As for the other person asking whether it is worth their while re wages etc,,,they wouldnt want to be on one of my flights with an attitude like that!!Dont apply if thats all you're interested in!!...Cabin manager,SEQ

When people make comments like that, I cant help but think they should just take a little chill pill and try to understand that, at the end of the day, we all want to lead useful productive lives and wages are the reward for our productivity.

The fact is, down here in middle-income land, our wages tend to reflect the value of our work. If the wages do not match the skills, experience and dedication required, then they should take their labour elsewhere.

Mr Geoff-($115,384.61 per fortnight after tax)-Dixon on the other hand...

"Dont apply if thats all you're interested in"

:confused:

JQchick
17th Jan 2006, 11:37
ditzyboy - June 2005 was pretty much when it all went nuts with the rosters, I dont think Ive had much better since then. I hope people do stand up for themselves and get a better deal for us. Good luck in Perth with QF!

SocialFlyer - rumour has it we will be getting a draft soon for the EBA, not sure what to expect, once we get it Im sure there will be a thread started talking about how screwed we're going to be. :ugh:

Mr Seatback 2
17th Jan 2006, 22:07
Re: The EBA

By 'Draft' EBA, it should read 'In Principle' EBA. Essentially, when the crew get to see it and vote on it, THAT IS IT. No changes - it is AS IS.

Crew either vote YES or NO. All crew will be given the opportunity to vote. Whether or not they do is another story.

Our current EBA expired last July 2005. It has been in negotiations ever since. Not unusual, as the current EBA just rolls on until it's replaced by a new one. Hopefully should be finalised in the next few months, as crew will need to be supplied with a copy of the draft EBA, attend roadshows, etc. and then vote on it.

I think there are a lots of areas they're focusing in on. Of course, Jetstar themselves have a few things on their 'wish list' too. We'll wait and see I suppose.

Back to topic.

SocialFlyer
17th Jan 2006, 23:30
Hi Guys,

Thought I would let you know that I contacted recruitment and pulled out of my panel interview in Melbourne for the Dual Base. I've had a long hard think about it and the pros and cons, and unfortunately I have to do whats best and sensible for me. I took a drive out to Avalon couple of nights ago and it took 75km there and 75km back (total 150km all up), and in total 2 hours driving time. For some this seems okay, but for me, I just cant see the sense in spending so much on wear and tear on the vehicle and petrol. In addition, I had a think about the "DUAL Base" thing, however it looks like Avalon is the expanding base, hence I guess you really need to be commited to working out of there most the time, with the occassional MEL base. In addition, driving on those roads at 3.30am, and late at night when tired is dangerous, and for me not worth the risk.

For those attending all the best, hope you do great. For those that assisted me, thanks heaps, your advice and support has been excellent.

Cheers
SocialFlyer

Iguanahead
18th Jan 2006, 01:04
Good luck with your future adventures Social Flyer. It's our loss at JQ but you have to do what's right for you. It's great that you researched everything and made an informed decision. If only more people in life were as sensible as you.:ok: