View Full Version : New Format

Heliport
1st Jan 2006, 17:18
The system was upgraded through the night - a 10 hour task.

The format and style you see at the moment is the programme default. It's not yet been modified to the final PPRuNe format.

Feel free to post any problems you encounter ON THIS THREAD.

If it's just a new procedure required to perform a familiar task, I'm sure one of the IT wizzkids and computer enthusiasts on the forum will be able to help us.

If it's a glitch in the system, it can be dealt with as the software is gradually modified to PPRuNe format.

Heliport

HeliEng
1st Jan 2006, 17:29
Heliport,

Only thing that I have come across that is a bit annoying, is the page numbers on the Rotorheads Around The World thread, you have to scroll right, through a load of blank screen to get to the later page numbers!!

Just an observation

Ascend Charlie
1st Jan 2006, 20:05
For some reason, when I have finished reading a thread and click on the "back" button, it won't go back a page, and instead says"URL not found".

Might just be my system...

Whirlygig
1st Jan 2006, 21:22
Well, it's taken me a day to get used to it but, on the whole, I think it's better. However, is there and updated help/FAQ for all the new features we can use.

One thing I noticed in my, and other's, user profiles is a green square. When one "hovered" the cursor over this, it used to say "Whirlygig is off the scale" (ain't that the truth!) and now it says, "Whirlygig is on the distinguished road".

Is this anything to do with "reputation" and "rep points"? Is there any kudos in having a bad reputation? :E

Cheers

Whirls

Edited to say that I have just found out that, yes, the above is to do with reputation but apparently I cannot dish it out too frequently; I have to spread my reputation around!

John Eacott
1st Jan 2006, 21:39
Interesting format, which I've used on other forums (fora?) and seem to have similar small irrits:

Scrolling to the bottom of the page to go to the next thread is a pain, we had the same feature at the top of the page as well as the bottom, in the old format.

Scrolling down too soon whilst the page downloads, gives a frozen scroll of the existing lines only, until download completes. Ugly.

My total post number is quite inaccurate, so no doubt others are suss, too.

Date of last post, rather than time since, would be preferable.

What's with the "rep" allocation?

Oh, and congratulations to the team that put it all together, it must have been a daunting task :D :ok:

Editing a post seems a bit clunky, too!!!!!

paddyboy
1st Jan 2006, 22:31
Search disabled?

MightyGem
1st Jan 2006, 22:37
Date of last post, rather than time since, would be preferable
My only comment so far.

Heliport
1st Jan 2006, 22:41
Whirls

I assume the 'reputation' option is a feature of the default programme and will be removed when the programme is modified to PPRuNe requirements.
In the meantime, the sad elements of the Jetblast forum who need their daily dose of sycophantic 'You're so clever/funny/wonderful' ego-boosting will probably make use of it, but I doubt if it will be much used here.
Suggest we just ignore it until it goes away.

See my response to Whirls below, to avoid any misunderstanding of my second paragraph. ;)

subsidence
1st Jan 2006, 22:51
Search function? not working???

Whirlygig
1st Jan 2006, 22:59
the sad elements of the Jetblast forum
That'll be me then!

Seriously, the edit post function is, as was so eloquently put earlier, clunky! Especially when one has been experimenting with different fonts and colours!

Dates would be nice - I'm not a darts player and so can't do "take-aways" in my head!

Cheers

Whirls

I said "the sad elements", not everyone who uses Jetblast. :)
H.

SASless
2nd Jan 2006, 03:46
Looking for any specific "date" Whirls....or will any old broken down rotorhead do?:E

212man
2nd Jan 2006, 05:38
What does 'Rep Power' mean?:confused:

Gymble
2nd Jan 2006, 05:48
I’ll put my toe in the water.
Looks cheap and functional, I like it.

I was going to say cheep, but that would have been bate (bait). See can’t help myself.

Gymble.

2nd Jan 2006, 05:56
I like it but where has the Pilot Mail gone - I can't access my email?

MightyGem
2nd Jan 2006, 06:01
Crab, it appears to be under the "Quick Links" menu, although I can't follow it because email is blocked on this computer.

212man
2nd Jan 2006, 06:08
What does 'Rep Power' mean?:confused:

Whatever it means, I'm pleased to see I've got more of it than Gymble and share the same amount as MightyGem:ok:

2nd Jan 2006, 06:11
Mighty - as soon as I had posted, I found the new quick links button that wasn't there yesterday and it works. Thanks. I should have just been patient.

2nd Jan 2006, 06:13
212 man - that's because you are always so reasonable on the forum - try getting up peoples noses a bit more and your rep will fall like mine.

Whirlygig
2nd Jan 2006, 08:12
As was already said earlier, rep power and rep points is to do with your reputation. Not only can you rate a particular thread, you can rate a post within a thread thereby increasing/decreasing that person's reputation.

I don't know how the default reputation appeared; perhaps the Mods sat down one night and gave us all points out of 10.

Cheers

Whirls

Capn Notarious
2nd Jan 2006, 08:59
Heliport.
One factor to pass on is this.
Pprune in its previous form, allowed Ctrl and the thumbwheel combined, to enlarge other peoples submitted text.
My varifocal fuelled fifty year old eyes, like a size 14 text to read.

Vfrpilotpb
2nd Jan 2006, 09:15
Good morning Heliport and a Very Happy new Year!,

I must agree with the Captn, my old eyes are also finding things a little small!

But I like the colour and new sort of layout.

PeterR-B:D

Anne Tenner
2nd Jan 2006, 15:01
Not sure if this is a default to be changed, but the post time "16 hours ago" or "8 days ago" was a lot more user-friendly when it just gave date and time.

Brilliant Stuff
2nd Jan 2006, 17:11
I like it all.

I particulary like posted "10 minutes ago" etc. But I can understand peoples view point of prefering the old method.

Maybe one could combine the two?

SASless
2nd Jan 2006, 17:24
I love this new format...have played with the various features...some on purpose...some not but overall...much improved over the old format.

Oogle
2nd Jan 2006, 18:53
I'm with you SAS.

Tres Bonne! :ok:

Robbo Jock
2nd Jan 2006, 20:51
Just two comments, requests really:

1) The size of each post has enlarged somewhat - the header bumph is now a significant proportion of the overall post. Could this be reduced slightly, to reduce the amount of scrolling required to read through a page ?

2)

Otherwise, looks nice and clean and probably has vastly more facilities than I'm ever likely to use or even discover the existence of.

Edit to remove 2 - just found 'forum jump' !!!

MightyGem
2nd Jan 2006, 22:17
Could we have the list of "Active Members" back at the top of the page?

Texdoc
2nd Jan 2006, 22:29
Just trying the quick reply here... hope it works as I expect.

Heliport, on using the "Forum Tools" - "Mark this Forum Read" it seems the default return after it is marked read is the "sub forum". ie "Non Airline Forums" for Rotorheads. It used to just go back to the forum you were in.

Perhaps this could be changed to leave you in your "User CP". Seems a logical place to end up..................

212man
3rd Jan 2006, 00:02
Well, the Rep Power numbers don't seem to have any connection with what the 'green box' says and why Nick would only have 4 points is beyond me? I note, on another thread, that BOAC has a score of 16; so I guess he must be very highly thought of!!

I agree that the active members list was a nice touch before.

Gaseous
3rd Jan 2006, 18:31
I assume rep is shorthand for reputation.

I notice FLs rep power is a big fat Zero! Thats not a dig at his profession is it Heliport?:E I'd give him a few more. You never know when you might need him.

Edit: Oh Dear! I notice mines just reduced to zero too.
Edit. Now its gone completely. Good riddance.

Wunper
3rd Jan 2006, 18:41
Could someone please explain how to get the search function to work??

All I ever get back is

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

I have invented some different terms of my own attempting to get a result:bored:

Otherwise new format seems fine to me

W

imabell
4th Jan 2006, 01:56
:ok: :ok: :{ :E :cool: :rolleyes: :confused: :zzz: :* :sad: :ok:

sss
4th Jan 2006, 07:34
I like the new format, it does help that I have used other forums running the same style.

:ok: :ok:

I also find the bigger text more pleasing to the eyes so I use firefox which allows me to choose the text size appropriate to the website

Heliport
4th Jan 2006, 19:55
The search function isn't yet set up.

Priority was given to having the forums shut down for the shortest possible time while the software was changed. Danny and 'Ridley' (PPRuNe's IT expert) did an amazing job over the weekend to achieve that.

At the moment, the programme is running in basic 'default' mode but various aspects will be tweeked and changed to PPRuNe's requirements as time permits.

I miss the search function most of all and hope it will be set up soon because I use it at least once a day (usually more) for moderating purposes, but have no idea at what stage of the tweeking process it will be possible to do that.

Heliport

JimL
5th Jan 2006, 10:00
Heliport,

The full eitor is extremely irritating as it strips spaces between paragraphs making them more difficult to read in a long post.

Is there any way of avoiding this?

Jim

Heliport
5th Jan 2006, 10:29
Re the 'rep' system:

I've also noticed it comes up with some very odd results.
I don't know how it's set up or exactly how it works, and have no intention of using it.

Re other questions:

I don't know the answers. I'm slowly getting used to the new system myself.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'll ensure the points posted here are seen by PPRuNe's IT experts.

Heliport